• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware 2.4 coming July 2nd - Features Videos now online

h3ro

gorilla_shark.jpg

5c5d51a1-1.png

firmwarebanner.jpg

Two videos detailing the features of FW 2.4 are being posted on the PS Blog tonight! :D

24.gif

Just posted on the PS Blog:

Jeff Rubenstein said:
But because I know what you’re going to ask about, and because we don’t traffic in rumors and/or speculation, I invite you to come back to the Blog tonight (just shy of midnight Pacific). We’ve got a video to show you.

Also, in a previous post's comments section, some details on the content of the two videos:

Jeff Rubenstein said:
Planning 2 videos, 5 or so mins each. One for XMB features and one for Trophies. None of the previous videos has been a short as 90 seconds, just as long as it takes to show off the features and not make you sit through a lot of fluff.

Links for the paranoid:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/29/playstation-around-the-web-what-we-read-5/
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/28/the-psb-socomcom-weekly-recap-5/comment-page-2/#comment-75089

Trophy Support

Sony promises that every major first-party game slated for release later this summer and onward will have built-in Trophy support. SOCOM: Confrontation and Resistance 2 were called out as examples during our meeting, while the press release also mentions BUZZ! Quiz TV, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, NBA 09 and PixelJunk Eden. PixelJunk Eden will be the first game to have Trophy support upon its initial release.

from IGN.

Information Regarding Custom Soundtrack implementation and Patches from a Dev

Marty Chinn (A Dev) said:
I am =) Otherwise I wouldn't be hearing Miley Cyrus singing "See You Again" as I snipe a PMC :D

Marty Chinn said:
Even the major news sites are reporting false info.

You WILL have custom soundtracks on July 2nd.

Games DO NOT have to be patched in order to utilize basic custom soundtrack features.

Games DO have to be patched for custom soundtracks that are context sensitive.

The only thing I don't know is if it works in every game.

Features of FW 2.40 Full thanks and credit to Killthee for the feature list
FW 2.4 Thread

In-Game XMB

* In-Game XMB displays everything that's in the XMB, some functions (playing a video, slideshow, voice chat, etc.) require the you to exit the In Game XMB and use the regular XMB
* Custom Soundtracks for supported games (released games must be patched to support the feature)
* Music player controls for Custom Soundtracks
* Full access to the Friend List/Inbox
* Access to the Accessory Settings
* Ability to launch into a different game while playing a game
* Runs as smooth as the regular XMB
* The old PS button menu (Controller Settings, Shut Off System/Controller) can be accessed by holding the PS button for a couple of seconds instead of tapping the button.

Trophies

* 4 Trophy types: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum
* Bronze trophies are the easiest to get, Silver is harder to get, Gold is the hardest, Platinum is only awarded when you have obtained all the other trophies in a game
* Each user will have a PSN "Profile" that keeps track of your trophies
* Each trophy type has a different value that goes towards your Profile's gamer "level" (Bronze adds less points than Silver, Silver adds less points than Gold, Platinum adds a significant amount of points towards reaching the next gamer level)
* All games will have restrictions on how many trophies they can offer (small scale games will offer less trophies than large scale games) and some games will have restrictions on what type of trophies they can offer (no Platinum Trophies in small scale games)
* Trophies can be viewed in the XMB
* Trophies can be locked by the developer just like Secret Achievements
* Trophies can be compared to friends trophies via the XMB
* Games will need to be patched to support Trophies (SSHD will have a patch hours after 2.4 is released)
* Games will not award Trophies retroactively based on saved data
* First party games confirmed to include Trophy support:
* BUZZ! Quiz TV
* LittleBigPlanet
* MotorStorm Pacific Rift
* NBA 09 - PS3
* PAIN
* PixelJunk Eden
* Resistance 2
* SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
* Warhawk

Misc.

* Google Search added to XMB
* Music player controls added to XMB
* Date & Clock added to XMB

Thanks Killthee!

GET YOUR 2.4 AVATAR HERE!!!!

2rbz9kn.gif

Now back to you're regularly scheduled awesomesauce, courtesy of GAF:

6c96316e.png

93cbdd50.png

szxvtl.png

METAL GEAR SOLID 4 SPOILER GIF CELEBRATING 2.40! SPOILER -> GIF

2nl91eu.jpg

muajpj.jpg

2gvnhj7.gif

nq8cg4.gif

intt15.jpg

240d.jpg

raptor.gif

79c5dee6.png

24fwvideobanneryw8.jpg

35auhwj.png

2ds1iyq.jpg

themexicano.gif

1pzbxx.gif

r05y1k.gif

dy7qpz.gif

fd9eb570.png

mubi3a.jpg

ml6mft.gif

34xmgyu.jpg

fvgz94.gif

2cqiu78.gif

BExGNASsI.jpg

2ir0tjp.jpg

1zl6g6q.gif

2mhud6r.gif

neogaf_24.jpg

29li92b.gif

dazbu-1.gif

2gvtyxj.gif

24.gif

24cat.jpg

204berieve.gif

awesome240.jpg

squicken

2.4 is great. Great for PS3 and 360 owners. Competition is great, and now I hope these 2 push each other in the online space for the benefit of us all.

-Rogue5-

squicken said:
2.4 is great. Great for PS3 and 360 owners. Competition is great, and now I hope these 2 push each other in the online space for the benefit of us all.

I'm just curious to see what happens if 2.4 actually puts PSN on par with XBL... I mean, I wonder if anyone would actually cancel their XBL subscription if PSN was just as robust (but free)... Decisions, decisions.

-Rogue5- said:
I'm just curious to see what happens if 2.4 actually puts PSN on par with XBL... I mean, I wonder if anyone would actually cancel their XBL subscription if PSN was just as robust (but free)... Decisions, decisions.

!) The controller feels better on 360.

!) Friends only on 360.

!) Not enough games on PS3.

!) It'll never be as good...

Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick.

Awntawn

-Rogue5- said:
I've already let my subscription expire, only planning on renewing it for Gears 2.

I have noticed that my PSN download speeds have been ridiculously fast lately. Not sure if it's a different router or an improvement on their part, but it's definitely gone up from since when the service first launched imo D;

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CrushDance said:
!) The controller feels better on 360.

!) Friends only on 360.

!) Not enough games on PS3.

!) It'll never be as good...

Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick.

There will always be excuses, no matter what content they add.

h3ro

Can someone make an awesome banner/header for this much awaited event??? Anything will do. :D

I saw the great banner/art work for the Gears 2 debut videos and thought something this big that PS3 owners have been waiting ages for should be commemorated with a sick banner!
yes yes, PS3 owners have to get excited for firmware updates, not gamez... hurr

Anyone up to it?

Tieno

h3ro said:
Can someone make an awesome banner/header for this much awaited event??? Anything will do. :D

I saw the great banner/art work for the Gears 2 debut videos and thought something this big that PS3 owners have been waiting ages for should be commemorated with a sick banner!

Anyone up to it?
A banner for a video of firmware?

burgerdog

Can't fucking wait, hope it hits soon. One thing that pisses me off about xbl is that I get some retarded low speeds and I pay for it. A 500mb demo will take me about 5 hours to download. On psn I can d/l a 2gb demo in 15minutes and I don't pay jack shit for it.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Tieno said:
A banner for a video of firmware? Which people have been wanting since launch day, waiting and speculating about and finally getting with extra trophy support?

Fixed.

Speevy

Banned
Whoah there, a video of announced features? Let's take this one step at a time.

How about a teaser video for the video of announced features? We wouldn't want people to think this is coming out soon.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Speevy said:

How about a teaser video for the video of announced features? We wouldn't want people to think this is coming out soon.

:lol But then we would get all the bitching!

epmode

Speevy said:

Don't forget the announcement of an upcoming teaser video (with no date specified).

Erebus

Can someone convert the time into GMT+2 please?

I'm not messing again with time zones since MGO beta. :D

h3ro

Anyone know how long it took from when the video detailing the update was released and the debut of the new PSN Store?

-Rogue5-

h3ro said:

yes yes, PS3 owners have to get excited for firmware updates, not gamez... hurr

Anyone up to it?

I'm on it!

Edit - Here it is:
24fwvideobanneryw8.jpg

because it's that epic

Speevy said:

:lol Oh SNAP!

Top Bottom