• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First downsampled 1080p screens from PS4 Pro (Titanfall 2)

Latimer

Banned
Man, Bloodborne would benefit so much from downsampling. The game has an absolutely amazing art style and visual design, the only thing holding it back is the aliasing. The improved IQ would make it perfect.

And chromatic aberration.

Gbraga

Man, Bloodborne would benefit so much from downsampling. The game has an absolutely amazing art style and visual design, the only thing holding it back is the aliasing. The improved IQ would make it perfect.

Downsampled Bloodborne with better framepacing and no Chromatic Aberration would be the real system seller for the Pro.

Looks good and it was the reason why I'm buying this thing. I have no real interest in 4k yet but anything better in the 1080p department for a small $100 upgrade is worth it.

While I did notice some things different in the 1st set of screenshots the second set, were massively different. The main thing I looked at was the weapon (since that's the thing in my eyes sees the most) and the top picture looks like much much lower resolution textures while the bottom looks super crisp and sharper textures. I'm beyond excited for the Pro now after seeing these images.

I'm still astonished they've not announced a patch for Bloodborne. Even just more stable 30fps, better frame pacing and down sampling would be more than worth it for the good will.

Same with Witcher 3. Sony should have been throwing money at CDPR to get that patched.

Still, even if Bloodborne doesn't get patched, Nioh is going to benefit so gods damned much from this. If we can expect this kind of clarity bump with the 60fps mode, it's possibly going to be in the running for game of the generation.
very true, Nioh looks amazing and I'm hoping that BB will get a sequel so in the end we will get our super clean Souls game.

Just hope it's announced soon.

Still if Infamous & R&C got a patch I'm hopeful for BB :-(

NightOnyx

That looks great! I have always planned to get one, but I might pick one up sooner rather than later if the 1080p downsampling looks as good as it does.

DirtyLarry

Damn. Definitely glad I got the Pro even without an HDR 4K TV. I have normal 4K so not a total bust on the 4K front.

Trace

Banned
Downsampled Bloodborne with better framepacing and no Chromatic Aberration would be the real system seller for the Pro.

I would replay Bloodborne as the first thing with my Pro if it got patched. Surprised with how little effort Cerny has said it takes to make a patch they couldn't spare a few Sony Japan engineers and throw some money Fromsoft's way for it.

orioto

Good Art™
The diff is big but just to be sure aren't we comparing direct feed pro shots to compressed PS4 shots ?

Arkanius

Wow looks much better.
Finally 1080p gaming has arrived.
The checkerboard 4K really does a good job to downsample to 1080p.

I think the Pro will shine more with 1080p screens than 4K ones.

Afro

Did they significantly reduce the film grain in a patch or something? Last PC shots I saw had severe film grain. Almost none here. What is going on?

MaDKaT

Looks good. If I had the Pro I'd be tempted to double dip. Easier than moving my PC to the living room. Seeing what the Pro is going to offer has really turned me on the Pro. Looking forward to picking one up later and catching up on the games I missed on my 4k.

This is the kind of comparison I've been waiting all along. Difference is absolutely MASSIVE, almost night and day. It will look even better in motion because there will be no jaggies/shimmering/aliasing, it will look extremely clean and crisp.

Marmelade

The diff is big but just to be sure aren't we comparing direct feed pro shots to compressed PS4 shots ?

The difference is drastic because TF2 uses a variable resolution and those PS4 screenshots don't look native 1080p (and the AA solution used doesn't look good either.)

The Pro will do wonders to those sub 1080p games (like FFXV).

The difference will obviously also be there too for native 1080p games with better IQ but in a less dramatic fashion (more along the lines of the PC/Pro comparison in this thread, well no, certainly bigger seeing that it's 1080p max on PC Uncharted 4 comparison)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wow looks much better.
Finally 1080p gaming has arrived.
The checkerboard 4K really does a good job to downsample to 1080p.

I think the Pro will shine more with 1080p screens than 4K ones.

Crazy talk. You're getting more detail on a 4K screen plus HDR and Wide Color Gamut if your TV supports those.

low-G

PS4 Pro (Downsampled to 1080p, PNG)

1lns4s.png

PC (Native 1080p, max settings, JPG)

26nsld.jpg

Do the same FOV please

sikkinixx

Looks good but not $300+ I'd have to spend to sell my PS4 and upgrade good for me sadly. That $500 cdn price price tag succks.

I think us projector people are going to see huge benefits. Love the immersion of a 100" screen but you lose a little picture quality with it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Excellent upgrade

This wasn't even one of the games saying it would be a huge upgrade. Can't wait to see more.

Arkanius

Crazy talk. You're getting more detail on a 4K screen plus HDR and Wide Color Gamut if your TV supports those.

But it's not native 4K. It will look good but it won't be as sharp.
Where in 1080p screens you get a smooth IQ due that Downsampling AA.

HDR and Wide Color gamut should be independent but I dont think there are 1080p TVs with those settings.

Latimer

Banned
lol

no it won't

To get the most out of Pro, you're going to need a 4K HDR TV. Downsampling is cool and all but 4K + HDR is a leap in image quality.

So are we calling the checkerboard technique 4k now and for native games specifically "native 4k"?

But it's not native 4K. It will look good but it won't be as sharp.
Where in 1080p screens you get a smooth IQ due that Downsampling AA.

HDR and Wide Color gamut should be independent but I dont think there are 1080p TVs with those settings.

There's still a ton more pixels, I think screenshots will look better at 1080p mode but on a TV, i'd go with 4k mode

Top Bottom