• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Gears of War 4 Beta Gameplay

nOoblet16

Does this game even have shadows? Visually underwhelming on that map at least.

Considering they are aiming for 60FPS, I am willing to be it's going to use baked shadowmaps in MP. I don't think you can easily get dynamic shadow maps for environment and run at 1080P/60FPS on Xbox One with UE4.

RoKKeR

That's Gears alright! I'm maybe a bit underwhelmed in the graphics department (shadows!?) but if it plays/feels like Gears 3 I am in. Besides, 60fps? Works for me.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ugh, if you told me this is Gears of War 3 i'd totally believe you.

Also, graphics look really rough :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That happens when you want to please the 60fps obsession everyone has nowadays now.
They made the right choice, then.

I assume pretty visuals will be present in the single player 30fps mode. In multiplayer, a higher frame-rate is more important.

GHG

I assume pretty visuals will be present in the single player 30fps mode. In multiplayer, a higher frame-rate is more important.

And on the PC, whynotboth.gif

Well... In theory

Kayant

Oh yess that looks like gears all right. Happy they really took a lot from gears 3 like Rod said.

Looks like there is no stopping power. Yesssss 👍👌

They should include auto ammo pickup from judgement.

As been said it does look graphically underwhelming but will chalk some of that up to the poor capture.

Classic Gears MP gameplay and that's good enough for me. It looks rough sure, but it's a beta and a true beta at that not some glorified demo. The game's about 4-5 months from launch, ample time for the coalition to polish it up.

Gaf posts can turn into a snowball sometimes, someone posts something then people start parroting the same ish.

On the other hand we grew adjusted to 30 fps on Gears 1-3.

Maybe they should have bumped it down to 720.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It has looked better in MP in earlier titles @ 60fps.
In earlier titles? The only console Gears title to run at 60fps in MP is Gears Ultimate (which I can agree looks a touch nicer than this).

I think the real problem is that the animation seems rather underwhelming and the video quality smears the texture work into oblivion.

Elixist

Very underwhelmed, Gears 1 was first game that impressed last gen and the series was considered a graphical showpiece.

indeed. that map sux visually. looks like they copy pasted the gameplay too which is eh i played enuf of it. i'd try it for free on pc, i bet 60 frames feels nice to be fair as well.

madmackem

Is it? I played gears for years and never thought this sucks because it's 30fps. Gears being third person and different meant being 30 never hurt it.

jfoul

This seems borderline Alpha.

• Low resolution
  • Low quality textues
  • Almost no lighting
  • Placeholder geometry (gibs)

I doubt the final build will look worse than UE MP.

nOoblet16

Is it? I played gears for years and never thought this sucks because it's 30fps. Gears being third person and different meant being 30 never hurt it.

Which means going 60FPS would make it even better. Playing UE, you can see why 60FPS in Gears can be amazing and going back to Gears 3 just feels janky despite the fact that Gears 3 has a superior and much more refined movement system than UE.

When you have dozens and dozens hours of gameplay put into the multiplayer you wouldn't care much about the visuals, especially once the "next hot thing" is out, but you'll still be playing the game in which case 60FPS will still matter even after hundreds of hours.

I think the dude in the video says the game looks like it's missing textures or something.

This shit looks like straight up more gears. I'm surprised at how much they kept pretty much exactly the same. Crazy.

It does seem a bit faster to me.

MIMF

No way the graphics can be like that in the final version, even if it is 1080p/60fps. It looks totally flat without any kind of dynamic shadows, GOW1 remaster looks much better.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Honestly, if you told me this was Gears 3 but running at a higher framerate, I probably wouldn't have questioned it. Visually it looks extremely drab.

KORNdoggy

the overcast dark lighting isn't helping the visuals. there are no reflections and no shadows to ground the characters so they look like they're floating. it does look pretty rough. but as people have said. it's the price of 60fps i guess.

So we complain about wanting to be part of Dev process and giving feedback so developers implement them in the game. Then when they cut out a beta from a probably way earlier slice of the game to have us test it and give feedback we complain about the game not having final polish? Lol Jesus anyway looks like gears can't wait for the beta.

nOoblet16

No way the graphics can be like that in the final version, even if it is 1080p/60fps. It looks totally flat without any kind of dynamic shadows, GOW1 remaster looks much better.

Gears 1 remaster didn't have any dynamic shadows either in MP just so you know.

Jack cw

Considering they are aiming for 60FPS, I am willing to be it's going to use baked shadowmaps in MP. I don't think you can easily get dynamic shadow maps for environment and run at 1080P/60FPS on Xbox One with UE4.

To sacrifice proper shadow maps as a trade off for full hd and 60 fps is questionable. Where is the benefit of 1080p, when the image looks flat and indistinguishable from last gen Gears? 60 fps is great but I don't mind dynamic res or even 900p to achieve it.

I'm hoping this is just a gameplay test and they're focused on testing that without the bells and whistles because it brings the stability down.

I hope...

Top Bottom