• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Hitman: Absolution reviews hit

MMaRsu

Banned
I want to hear reviews from people who thought BM was the pinnacle of the series.

I want to hear opinions from long time Hitman fans.

But I think we all already knew this was going to nothing like Blood Money. After several key IO members left and already called it a dumb direction ( who gives a fuck about the story in this game ) and they didnt even hire Bateson and never even asked Jesper Kyd to join, it was clear this was a fuckup from the start.

Zeliard

The RPS preview had very similar complaints as that PC Gamer review about how there are levels where you're largely just funneled through.

Derrick01

Banned
The RPS preview had very similar complaints as that PC Gamer review about how there are levels where you're largely just funneled through.

Yup and I posted that (about a month ago now) and it was largely laughed at. So like I said I expect the same amount of denial.

derFeef

Yup and I posted that (about a month ago now) and it was largely laughed at. So like I said I expect the same amount of denial.

Not really. The ones that are still optimistic are in the minority and no one is ignoring facts that are pointed out. It just may not have a huge impact on the individual people.

eyeless

- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn
- Focus on (embarrassingly bad) story over gameplay
- A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene
- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money
mc1YH.gif

rip in peace "the hitman" 2000-2012

Derrick01

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/mc1YH.gif[/img

rip in peace "the hitman" 2000-2012[/QUOTE]

Blood Money was 2006 though. This isn't the time for nitpicks though, this is serious. Today we mark the death of yet another classic franchise and another stealth series has been destroyed. Thief is our last great hope.

edit: Beaten on the correction.

Spat_triate

- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn
- Focus on (embarrassingly bad) story over gameplay
- A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene
- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money

Where is this from, because if true, I won't buy it for even $5.

KlotePino

Let's just wait for some more reviews to come out jeesh. Not like I'm that optimistic but saying R.I.P. is so needlessly dramatic. Also the fact that that reviewer gave Max Payne 3 a 55% makes me less pessimistic although that probably won't help Derrick. MP3 at the very least deserved a higher score because despite some missteps I think it delivered extremely solid story and gameplay, great music and great atmosphere. Not trying to derail here but let's just reserve judgement for a sec because some of the points given as criticism have previously been used as examples of what a "pure" hitman game should be.

Derrick01

Banned
The same reviewer gave Max Payne 3 a 55? That just solidifies my feelings that this person knows what they're talking about.

MMaRsu

Banned
The same reviewer gave Max Payne 3 a 55? That just solidifies my feelings that this person knows what they're talking about.

Oh fuck off Derrick01, MP3 was an amazing game that had a few nagging design issues ( especially in the multi ). The single player was amazing, it's not often I replay a game three times in a row lol.

derFeef

Oh fuck off Derrick01, MP3 was an amazing game that had a few nagging design issues ( especially in the multi ). The single player was amazing, it's not often I replay a game three times in a row lol.

But 55 man, you are not supposed to enjoy it.

Lime

Max Payne 3 was anything but amazing. Severe level design flaws, an abundance of ludonarrative dissonance, heavy-handed thematic writing, and atrocious masturbatory game design are just some of its many problems.

I'd probably give it a 3 or 4 out of 10. You can obviously enjoy it for various reasons, but in the context of quality game design, the game is worse than mediocre.

eyeless

Blood Money was 2006 though. This isn't the time for nitpicks though, this is serious. Today we mark the death of yet another classic franchise and another stealth series has been destroyed. Thief is our last great hope.
despite the tone of that post i am actually supremely depressed that they did this to the franchise. a linear hitman is no hitman at all. "A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene" is pretty much the worst thing i have ever read.

also it didn't die until they made this game. thus, 2000-2012. it was all good in 2006.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fuck man they really just should have done a straight up BM sequel. The story in this new game is supposed to be weird as hell too.

Derrick01

Banned
What games DO you like? Just name a few.

All the other reviewers must be shitbags then.

I'll give my goty list so far for this year. I think it'll be the first time I don't have 10 games :(

(no particular order)

crusader kings 2, walking dead, sleeping dogs, borderlands 2, xcom, mark of the ninja, dishonored.

Max Payne was just bad though. Probably the worst game of the year for me. So I feel like this reviewer knows bad games when he/she sees one.
insert comment about this person giving some shit game a 90

Ciastek3214

I'm done explaining in detail why Max Payne 3 is a bad Max Payne game again. I won't bother.

Lima

Don't know if this has been mentioned but the game has an online pass that activates the contract mode. Will be available for the usual $10 or 800 MS points if you bought the game used.

KlotePino

No need to derail too much with the MP3 talk but let's agree to disagree. At the very least the opinions on MP3 divided and no opinion is fact. All I'm saying is let's wait for more reviews because some people did like MP3 and don't think it deserved a 55%

Zeliard

Kickstarter is the way forward for true successors to classic games and genres.

You're going to see very few big-budget games going through traditional publishers and not being heavily compromised to appeal to a wider audience. Budgets rise, chance dies, creativity stagnates.

And I can name maybe one or two non-sim games that can match up to Max Payne 3's gunplay. When it comes to the simple act of shooting imaginary people in satisfying ways, almost nothing can compete. FEAR 1 is the closest. For that reason I hold it in some regard.

MMaRsu

Banned
Don't know if this has been mentioned but the game has an online pass that activates the contract mode. Will be available for the usual $10 or 800 MS points if you bought the game used.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUck

fuck this game lol. Never gonna buy this turd.

Derrick01

Banned

It's good to know when I get this game for $10 used a year from now I won't have to put up with that annoying online crap.

Ah who am I kidding I'll probably get it for $5 on a steam sale.

Foffy

Banned

Seeing as Hitman is mainly a PC franchise, is this a big issue? I thought all of the PC distribution channels for Absolution go through Steam in some capacity.

jimi_dini

So I will buy this, when Deluxe/Professional edition is below 20pounds.
which should be happening before christmas

Raven77

I just don't understand the evolutionary regression occurring in video games right now.

Why does Halo 1 have larger maps than HALO 4!?! Why do racing games have rewind buttons? Why are the "Ghost Recon" games a crappy over simplified shell of what they used to be?

Why do they take respected and much loved franchises and dumb them down? IT DOESN'T HELP SALES!!! All it does is kill your fan-base. I'm not sure how developers haven't realized this yet as one franchise after another gets crushed with low sales figures and disappointing reviews.

Do developers really not realize yet that all these "casuals" and "COD fans" are in all likely hood NOT BUYING THEIR GAME no matter how dumbed down or easy they make it.

I find it hilarious that a game that sells 1-2 million copies is considered "successful". 130 MILLION PEOPLE OWN THE CONSOLE (360 and PS3 total sales) AND YOU CONSIDER SELLING YOUR GAME TO 1.3% OF THEM A SUCCESS?????????????

The console market is going to DIE if this trend continues. Sales are in huge decline year over year. WAKE UP developers / MS - Sony! As you have moved away from gaming as the core reason for owning the system, YOUR SOFTWARE SALES HAVE PLUMMETED!

Sorry, rant over, been wanting to get that off my chest for a while, feel free to disagree, the above is, after all, just the opinion of a frustrated gamer that simply wants games to challenge him again.

Spookie

Why do racing games have rewind buttons?

I like my rewind buttons. I don't like losing the race due to one badly taken corner after a 40 minute endurance race. If you don't like em don't use em. ;/

Disappointing review but I find it hard to believe the game is poor on the PC especially since they are using the same guys who handed the Deus Ex: HR port. :(

derFeef

What?
Which racing games offer rewind? Wtf? Why would anyone do this unless it's a racing game based on Prince of Persia Sands of Time.

Did you miss the dirt/grid series? Also Forza has it, and it does in no way hinder them to be great racing games.

Derrick01

Banned
I like my rewind buttons. I don't like losing the race due to one badly taken corner after a 40 minute endurance race. If you don't like em don't use em. ;/

Disappointing review but I find it hard to believe the game is poor on the PC especially since they are using the same guys who handed the Deus Ex: HR port. :(

I forgot Nixxes was doing the port. To hear it being a bad port is pretty surprising because Nixxes is usually top notch. Now that I will wait for more reviews because they have a near perfect reputation.

Kacho

Did you miss the dirt/grid series? Also Forza has it, and it does in no way hinder them to be great racing games.

Agreed. Forza offers it, but it is totally optional and they penalize you for using it. It's fine.

I shouldn't have stepped foot in this thread. Ignorance is bliss. Still holding out hope that this will be a good game.

Raven77

Originally Posted by Raven77: View Post
Why do racing games have rewind buttons?
What?

What?
Which racing games offer rewind? Wtf? Why would anyone do this unless it's a racing game based on Prince of Persia Sands of Time.

Ha, almost every racing game since around the time GRID came out what, 3 years ago, maybe a game before that had it. All I know is that just about every racer since has some form of "instant forgiveness" for messing up.

Top Bottom