• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First image of BioWare's new series. [Nirolak Is Bad At Guessing.]

Giran

"[...] potentially attracting the same kind of crowd that flocks to gaming’s biggest franchise, Call Of Duty."

Well I suppose now they'll take a more direct approach than with Dragon Age 2.

inky

ArjanN said:
No, not really.

Come on, are you serious? For a new IP from a big developer it is a screenshot that doesn't scream either new, different or innovative, or aligns with the studios previous body of work. It is -conceptually- an uninteresting image at best that doesn't say anything. We don't know jack about the game, but there's no promise here.

Solo said:
There was once a time when a new Bioware IP would tickle me like no other. And then they made Jade Empire. And Dragon Age. And Mass Effect 2. And Dragon Age 2.

Now, I bow only to our lord and saviour, CDPR.
Hey, Dragon Age Origins was a good game. Dragon Age 2 was generic rushed out shit, but I wouldn't group the two together.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Whoa, tough crowd. I've loathed the entirety of BioWare's output and I'd still be up for a realtime Faselei! (and/or cheesier Strike Commander) with dune buggies, as I'm foolishly reading this as.

UrbanRats

Am i the only one seeing a car smashing another in the back? I think we might have the next step in Bioware romance agenda.

D2M15 said:
Whoa, tough crowd. I've loathed the entirety of BioWare's output and I'd still be up for a realtime Faselei! (and/or cheesier Strike Commander) with dune buggies, as I'm foolishly reading this as.

Well, there's really not much to go on from the screenshot so all you are going to get until the reveal of more is a snarkfest. I mean, you could try and spin something positive from it if you want, but the safer position is just to go negative and be surprised.

ArjanN

inky said:
Well, imagine this is an image from a game coming from Naughty Dog or Ubisoft or id. Kinda underwhelming, no? Even if you don't know the details.]

inky said:
Come on, are you serious? For a new IP from a big developer it is a screenshot that doesn't scream either new, different or innovative, or aligns with the studios previous body of work. It is -conceptually- an uninteresting image at best that doesn't say anything. We don't know jack about the game, but there's no promise here.

"doesn't scream either new, different or innovative" is exactly what could have been said about the latest Naughty Dog or Ubisoft or id games.

And not aligning with the studios previous work is not a negative in itself.

Something like "no promise here" is a pretty ridiculous statement to make considering we've only seen one screenshot and don't even know what genre game it is.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Interesting my guess from this CG(?) shoot is that it's a post apocalyptic WRPG/Shooter, seeing how EA work thesedays on trying to beat the big names and dominating the market I think they are going for a Fallout killer here.

RaGMasTeR90 said:
Oh god pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease dont make a generic shooter boarderlands/rage type of game! PLease!! Me want some real Dragon Age sequel ... :(

This is a separate team. You'll get DA3. And ME3. And SW:TOR. This is their fourth game simultaneously being developed.

dwebo

A bit off-topic, but speaking of Bioware, was that ME3 leaked demo / spoilers thread nuked from orbit? I had it open in another tab, went to refresh it and now it says "Invalid Thread specified".

Kinyou

FateBreaker said:
This is a separate team. You'll get DA3. And ME3. And SW:TOR. This is their fourth game simultaneously being developed.
Bioware: Making sure to keep quality over quantity :D

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
babyghost853 said:
Looks more like SOTC meets motorstorm to me. Am I the only one that sees a face in the smoke?

1GW6X.jpg

Songbird

Prodigal Son
dwebo said:
A bit off-topic, but speaking of Bioware, was that ME3 leaked demo / spoilers thread nuked from orbit? I had it open in another tab, went to refresh it and now it says "Invalid Thread specified".
It certainly seems that it was put out of its misery.

Ashodin

Just the new Bioware being stupid, making IPs that betray their legacy and games destroying every facet of who they were. Sigh.

Vamphuntr

I'm not really surprised with that to be honest. Their recent games showed that they were desperately trying to win the COD crowd. At least its not a new military FPS. The old Bioware that was passionate about RPGs has been gone for a while now. It's time to let it go guys.

inky

ArjanN said:
"doesn't scream either new, different or innovative" is exactly what could have been said about the latest Naughty Dog or Ubisoft or id games.

I don't know now if you are actually responding to my opinion or just saying whatever to go against it. So if that could've been said about a new IP from those well known devs, you agree that this screen is uninteresting in itself, right? Well, that is what people are saying (me included) and I'm pointing that out to you.

And not aligning with the studios previous work is not a negative in itself.

No, but then you'd expect there to be a reason for that. What is Bioware known for in this point in time, what does this image tell you about a future game by them? This is what people are responding to, and right now the image is telling theM "hey this looks like a bunch of other games you probably didn't like much."

Something like "no promise here" is a pretty ridiculous statement to make considering we've only seen one screenshot and don't even know what genre game it is.

How is it ridiculous? I raised this precise point before:

me said:
People are judging the screenshot. It's a first impressions based on gut and no info, so reactions are speculative and -like previews are not indicative of a final product- a first reaction is not indicative of overall or final reception of the same.

So based on those speculations is where the "no promise" lies. The promise of looking forward to what this might be, not what the game will be on release date. No one can se that far ahead. There is a difference which I was clear to point out, but you are arguing like people are going about how the game will suck. No, they are saying the screen looks generic and boring and I agree with them. It might end up being their first 10 million seller.

Top Bottom