• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First "Larrabee" Project Offset screenshot according to Intel

bcn-ron said:
I particularly enjoy the errors in perspective. The dragon tail's tip is front of the rightmost soldier's neck for some reason. The dragon is also too long to even fit in front of the wall where it stands.
Plus the left front leg, according to the shadow, is bent so far under the body that the elbow is completely on the midline of the belly. And the right wing evidently has an extra joint to allow it to flex 90 degrees away from the body wall.

But the most telling thing is the "comparison shot". If the first one was actually a screenshot, it would be trivially easy to remove the models, smoke, and lighting in the engine to render a downgraded version ("what can be done now"). But in fact they just photoshopped that stuff away--as is abundantly clear if you look at the shadow of the farther flag tower on the arena floor, which is broken into segments by cloning sand texture over the missing people.

This is concept art.

What's with all the people who don't seem to know a thing about this game?! There are some gameplay vids on Youtube, and eventhough they're old, they still look absolutely sick.

Minsc

Gold Member
Liabe Brave said:
Plus the left front leg, according to the shadow, is bent so far under the body that the elbow is completely on the midline of the belly. And the right wing evidently has an extra joint to allow it to flex 90 degrees away from the body wall.

But the most telling thing is the "comparison shot". If the first one was actually a screenshot, it would be trivially easy to remove the models, smoke, and lighting in the engine to render a downgraded version ("what can be done now"). But in fact they just photoshopped that stuff away--as is abundantly clear if you look at the shadow of the farther flag tower on the arena floor, which is broken into segments by cloning sand texture over the missing people.

This is concept art.

Actually if you compare the lower-left bottom section of the pillar to the other one, you'll see there's a chunk missing from it, where it looks like `-| instead of |-|

I'm not sure if the thing you're calling a shadow is a shadow, it doesn't seem to line up properly.

Compare below:
ProjectOffset_c_1.png
ProjectOffset_a_b_1.gif

element

maniac-kun said:
at least its inengine and running on larrabee <:
it isnt running on larrabee, since there isn't any real larrabee hardware yet. that is either using multiple cpus to emulate the larrabee pipeline or it is being done by a gpu.

Ether_Snake said:
Late 2010 or early 2011:D

Earlier tahn that surely. LRB is aiming to compete with Nvidia and ATI's DX11 GPUs and they should launch at the end of the year. Intel can't afford for LRB to be too far behind. So yeah, within 6 months GPUs capable of such renders in real time at full HD resolutions should be available in the consumer space.

Heck, with SLI and Crossfire technology, a single PCB $400 GPU (4870x2) could likely achieve that right now. That same GPU is around 6 months old now as well.

element said:
it isnt running on larrabee, since there isn't any real larrabee hardware yet. that is either using multiple cpus to emulate the larrabee pipeline or it is being done by a gpu.

Intel have been showing silicon at recent events, if anyone has access to early LRB derivatives, then its the Offset guys. At the very least they'll have a very, very good idea exactly what LRB is capable of.

Kevin said:
One blurry picture doesn't impress me and neither did that tech demonstration video with meteors falling out of the sky crashing through ancient structures. It might look a little better then stuff from Gears of War 2 and Uncharted 2 but honestly, not a whole lot. No in my opinion!

:lol :lol

You have got to be kidding me. Really now, go watch that video in HD again, its light years beyond what these consoles are pumping out. As well it should be, it is being developed for 4/5 year newer tech.

PkunkFury

Minsc said:
Actually if you compare the lower-left bottom section of the pillar to the other one, you'll see there's a chunk missing from it, where it looks like `-| instead of |-|

I'm not sure if the thing you're calling a shadow is a shadow, it doesn't seem to line up properly.

Compare below:
ProjectOffset_c_1.png
ProjectOffset_a_b_1.gif

That's not a part of the bottom of the pillar, there is something in front of the pillar casting a small shadow. The rest of the "Shadow" on the larrabee image is actually some stuff on the ground, you can see it is still there in the competitor shot, but the forground characters obscure the gaps making it look like one shadow

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Minsc said:

Compare below:
ProjectOffset_c_1.png
ProjectOffset_a_b_1.gif

Yeah it's probably just a concept art, sadly:|

brain_stew said:
Earlier tahn that surely. LRB is aiming to compete with Nvidia and ATI's DX11 GPUs and they should launch at the end of the year. Intel can't afford for LRB to be too far behind. So yeah, within 6 months GPUs capable of such renders in real time at full HD resolutions should be available in the consumer space.

Heck, with SLI and Crossfire technology, a single PCB $400 GPU (4870x2) could likely achieve that right now. That same GPU is around 6 months old now as well.

I can garantee you PO is not being released this year, not any game for Larrabee.

If everything goes as planned, in early 2010 you'll see some games ported to Larrabee. PO itself no way.

Minsc

Gold Member
PkunkFury said:
That's not a part of the bottom of the pillar, there is something in front of the pillar casting a small shadow. The rest of the "Shadow" on the larrabee image is actually some stuff on the ground, you can see it is still there in the competitor shot, but the forground characters obscure the gaps making it look like one shadow

So you don't think that square beneath the stripe towards the bottom of the pillar is part of the pillar, and it is just coincidence that there's one in front of both pillars, and that it shares the same texture as the pillar?

That abrupt edge right to the left of the rectangle where the person used to be (in the gif) seems out of place to me.

Edit: I guess if the screenshots weren't so damned blurry this wouldn't be as big a mystery :lol

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah it's probably just a concept art, sadly:|

I can garantee you PO is not being released this year, not any game for Larrabee.

If everything goes as planned, in early 2010 you'll see some games ported to Larrabee. PO itself no way.

Oh I agree, note my careful wording. I expect LRB to hit before Q2 next year, the point I was responding to was in relation to the question of when will we have the hardware available for such software. I'd expect Offset to be a Fall '10 title.

Fatalah

I've got a question about Larrabee-- Is this a single chip that combines the GPU and CPU?

That could be pretty sweet for laptops graphical power.

Fatalah said:
I've got a question about Larrabee-- Is this a single chip that combines the GPU and CPU?

That could be pretty sweet for laptops graphical power.

No its Intel's attempt at a GPU and is not intended to replace a system's main CPU or run an OS. It is however based around stripped down X86 cores (with added 512bit wide Vector units) which are fully programmable.

Fatalah

brain_stew said:
No its Intel's attempt at a GPU and is not intended to replace a system's main CPU or run an OS. It is however based around stripped down X86 cores (with added 512bit wide Vector units) which are fully programmable.

Ah, interesting. Thanks for the clear explanation. I wonder if Intel has a sour taste in its mouth from Apple's choice to use nVidia graphics chips for their laptops.

Top Bottom