• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look At Koei Tecmo Attack On Titan

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Looks fantastic. The little description makes it sound like Warriors but somehow with more strategy; I wonder how.

DirtyLarry

This looks good. Almost too good. I have to see it in action to be convinced. Definitely looks good right now though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Day 1, looks really good from those shots.

I'm still wondering why Mikasa is pretty in the anime when they live in such a poor world. Manga she looks like an awesome warrior.

Yep. Anime felt the need to give her actual irises and lipstick(along with every other girl), while the manga has her eyes as completely pitch black with no lipstick, as well as just showing her more reigned in in general.

Its really ridiculous how the artists effed up on that. I had been following the manga a long time before the anime showed up though, so maybe its just more annoying for me.

This is Isayama's idea of prettying her up

jkscrXRbdNnaf.jpg

Justified

game’s main mode will cover the story of the entire 2013 anime, and a number of scenarios that place the spotlight on popular characters are also being developed.

game features

(1) Tactical Hunting Action

In a cruel battlefield where the state of battle is constantly changing, the result of the player’s strategy has a direct connection to moving forward. In a game that offers high tactical freedom, the thrill of hunting action and fighting giant bosses are fused together to provide a new sense of battle never seen before in a video game. Depending on the tactical situation, you can proceed slowly and carefully or challenge the titan without warning. The player’s actions affect the direction of battle in a big way. This is hunting action in a new form.

(2) 3D Maneuverability and Body Part Destruction

Players can make full use of the 3D Maneuver Gear to zip freely around the sky and battle titans. By using type of action, you can rush quickly to companions in a pinch, and at times, it will attract the attention of enemies and they’ll run through the battlefield. In order to defeat a titan, it is necessary to attack its “nape.” To do this, you’ll need to attack from high altitudes and defeat titans by first destroying body parts like arms and legs, and then driving your blade into the titan’s nape. With this introduction of body part destruction, a higher level of strategic action is added to the game.

(3) Battlefield Drama Unfolds Across Vast Stages

Just like the original work, each character has a purpose and fights titans on a vast battlefield, and the state of battle rapidly changes according to this. Additionally, there will be changes within the city, such as walls and roofs collapsing as a result of battle, and it may affect the range of action players can take. The state of battle is constantly changing and the feeling of tension is high. A large number of scenarios that place the spotlight on popular characters are being prepared to develop the game’s dramatic story. It should appeal strongly to fans of the original work.

(4) Relive the Epic Story With High-End Graphics

In this game, players will relive the deep story of the Attack on Titan anime. Characters such as Eren, Mikasa, and so on that were key to the original story will appear, of course, and their voice actors are the same as they were in the anime. Additionally, the “Physics Toon Shader,” the game’s newly developed graphical representation, offers original graphics with the theme of “fusing the anime world and game world.” As a result, you can play the game feeling like you’re freely controlling a character in the anime.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/koei-tecmo-attack-titan-feature-outline-screenshots#y7ZmKhoSvmmfBJQ2.99

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I don't know if I'd say Attack on Titan has a "deep story", but I guess that's PR for you.

Is there a mode where I can just never play as Eren ever?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I don't know if I'd say Attack on Titan has a "deep story", but I guess that's PR for you.

It sure is trying for the plotting outside of what the anime covered that's for sure.

All the obvious characters will be playable, I just need to see gameplay, it can't be said enough, the emulation of the mobility and speed to this series is vital and all it needs. It'll be so easy to do a titan controlling mode.

Hopefully they'll actually put the effort into getting the Funimation voices for this. I mean, Japanese voices are great, but it's disappointing how Koei anime games are always leaving out the dub actors.

wmlk

Grimløck;176208105 said:
is the gameplay like shadow of the colossus?

The anime is nothing like SotC. The tactic is to land one fatal blow at the neck to kill a titan. There are some titans where you have to do more to weaken them/reduce their shield to get to the nape.

This may shape up to be how I imagined an AoT game to be. I wonder how the controls will feel if we're supposed to be able to move like the characters do in the anime.

Yawnier

Banned
Omega Force have been on a roll since DW7 came out a few years ago (DW7 and 8, SW4, WO3, Pirate Warriors 2 are all some of the best musou games out there), this has potential to be really good imo.

The anime is nothing like SotC. The tactic is to land one fatal blow at the neck to kill a titan. There are some titans where you have to do more to weaken them/reduce their shield to get to the nape.

Well, there's less climbing, but on the flipside, actually getting to the nape without being killed is a difficult task in and of itself, as both the show and the manga demonstrates repeatedly. A faithful adaptation would need to have Souls-esque difficulty.

Unfortunately, I doubt even with video the gameplay will be shown properly. Swinging mechanics always have to be felt rather than seen...

Hopefully they at least make it as good as the Unity game.

wmlk

Unfortunately, I doubt even with video the gameplay will be shown properly. Swinging mechanics always have to be felt rather than seen...

Hopefully they at least make it as good as the Unity game.

Usually these mechanics are very good or very bad.

I just hope there's some really good effort put into this like you see with CC2's Naruto games. This is gonna make money no matter what.

CamHostage

Cool, sounds like the Attack on Titan teaser video was in-engine then because it looks like these shots (be them bullshots or what have you.) I like the look of the characters in the short bit of video motion, the main question I still have is how they'll handle the maneuver gear as a gameplay element.

KegLwn.gif

Yep. Anime felt the need to give her actual irises and lipstick(along with every other girl), while the manga has her eyes as completely pitch black with no lipstick, as well as just showing her more reigned in in general.

Its really ridiculous how the artists effed up on that. I had been following the manga a long time before the anime showed up though, so maybe its just more annoying for me.

Weird, you're one of the first people I've ever seen saying something positive about the AoT manga artwork, because it is near-universally attacked for poor and ill-managed artwork. (The artist himself has even faced up to comments about his drawing ability.) Same as the animation is railed against for "not being animated" (all the money went into the fights) the manga particularly in the early days got a bad rep for being ugly.

There do seem to be some things that the manga does differently-and-perhaps-could-be-considered-better, though. Mikasa being ugly has its place, though I don't know that I garee that they totally prettied her up. She's still pretty boyish and clothed, for an anime character she's downright praise-worthy. I could see a benefit though to the females (and really all of the characters) having dirtier and harsher lines instead of lapsing into more comfortable Japanese drawing styles. (Or maybe it's the animation and acting itself that makes them "too anime' and not something else, because when you just look at say Annie in either animation or comic, she's not given a lot to be found attractive by, Mikasa not much more than that other than clean lines in the facial features, and Hanji is given a lot to make her not-kawaii, yet she is so 'animu' in the show. Just how it's made, I guess.)

Top Bottom