• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at THE FLASH [Extended trailer in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

Well, that pilot was very...piloty. Shitty dialogue, laughably bad acting from most of the players, everything was bit too obviously *pilot* in setting up stakes and motivations
("Wanna know why I'm not smiling? Well that explosion that created you ALSO ruined my career AND killed my fiance AND positioned as a potential love interest!")

Oh, and the Arrow cameo...lol

Not bad, though. I enjoyed it. I just hope they don't lead off with the pilot, and film a better first episode.

Nah, that's about what you should expect from the Arrow creative team. It's probably not gonna be fixed after the pilot. Horrible (horrible) dialogue, terrible acting, and clunky as hell storyline/character development is the norm in Arrow.

Wag

I really hope Blue Beetle/Booster Gold make an appearance on the show. We already know Ted Kord exists in the Arrow universe as Kord Industries has been mentioned a number of times.

Mariolee

So out of curiosity, I let my 12-year old little sister watch the episode and wanted to get her response.

Spoilers to follow

She loved it. I guess the relationship drama was the initial pull to get her into the show but she got really into the mythology surrounding the show. She even started theorizing with no input from me and I was surprised at how close she seemed to get considering she is not at all into comics. To borrow some of her incredible vocabulary, she believes the blonde guy (Thawne) is the man who killed Barry's mom because he "used to know Barry's mom and wanted to get something from her, but she didn't wanna give it so he attacked her." He then traveled through time to the present to get closer to Barry through "that one girl" but lost his powers and that "the brown hair guy" (the professor) is working with him to get his powers back and that he is from the future and kidnapped Barry. Now that I type it out, it's not too much of a great prediction, but I guess I'm just surprised she picked out Thawne specifically over the professor to be the main baddie, and so confidently too.

Effect

Newspapers strongly hinted about Crisis on Infinite Earths/Flashpoint type of storyline, big crossover events when heroes traveled from one dimension to another. Incredibly ambitious comic book stories and something that even the most optimistic comic book readers never expected to see on their TV screens.

Also, there was a mention of WayneTech in that newspaper, which is AN ABSOLUTE FIRST for Arrowverse.

This was my big OMG moment from watching the episode. I enjoyed it overall but this just sent my mind racing.

Wag

So have they said yet whether or not they're going to merge the DC Movie and TV universes? I really wish they would.

DieH@rd

Banned
So have they said yet whether or not they're going to merge the DC Movie and TV universes? I really wish they would.

They have enough on their plate just managing film division. :)

As of now, universes are completely separate, but Arrow has kept away from anything that is connected to Metropolis or Gotham. Nothing was ever mentioned about them, or any other big hero. There was only 5sec fun cameo of Harley. If they ever wanted to merge universes, they could do it [by simply showcasing that worldwide Zod message on TV as a starting point of universe merger].

Of course, DC most likely have plans for their own version of the Flash. If they are especially vicious, they could forbid CW to ever mention big heroes, villians and famous cities. :-/

Mariolee

As of now, universes are completely separate, but Arrow has kept away from anything that is connected to Metropolis or Gotham. Nothing was ever mentioned about them, or any other big hero. There was only 5sec fun cameo of Harley. If they ever wanted to merge universes, they could do it [by simply showcasing that worldwide Zod message on TV as a starting point of universe merger].

Of course, DC most likely have plans for their own version of the Flash. If they are especially vicious, they could forbid CW to ever mention big heroes, villians and famous cities. :-/

But the timelines are already mixed up considering MoS AND the Arrowverse take place at the same time, and for them to not even mention what happened in MoS and refer to Barry as part of the first metahumans seems like a big plot hole.

Wiktor

Yeah. That's why I hope they keep them separate. If Batman isn't directly shown as a part of this universe then Arrow can steal so much from it :D

DieH@rd

Banned
But the timelines are already mixed up considering MoS AND the Arrowverse take place at the same time, and for them to not even mention what happened in MoS and refer to Barry as part of the first metahumans seems like a big plot hole.

Nothing from MoS has happened in Arrowverse. You are imagining timeline connections. Showrunners were always clear that for now Arrowverse is separate from anything else that DC has, and also, they never hinted anything in the show that could prove otherwise. They had talks with DC bosses where they talked about future connections, but chances of timelines joining together are very small [IMO they probably just received orders to stay the fuck away from certain DC properties].

sunofsam

this show is going to be huge, together with Arrow

This show will likely help Arrow. The Flash is a lighter, more accessible character - I too believe they are going to knock this out of the park.

They must be watching the reaction to the pilot and are likely quite pleased with the positive buzz.

Mario007

Aparently the Flash pilot has a
news article talking about Wayne Enterprises merging with Queen Consolidated? :O

Yeah, there's definitely bits and pieces I'd like them to reshoot but still a good pilot, better than Arrow's. Only like three and a half months to go.

Such a shame thise awesome shows found their home on small CW.

I don't know, it's probably a good thing for it to be a "big fish" in a pond like CW than be just another fish in the ocean of the "big 4", would be nice if they got more viewers though, the CW is available in enough homes that it could be seen by more people if they actually wanted to watch it on the CW. They'd probably have to numbers get three or four times higher than what it does now on the bigger networks to really have a chance to survive though the higher budget would be nice. On the other hand it being on a network that's half owned by WB helps protect it kind of like AoS being on ABC. If AoS was on NBC, Fox or CBS with the ratings it got after the premiere it probably wouldn't have made it to season two.

Well as I recall, wasn't there a time where Zoom actually wore Barry's costume and set him up for crimes he did not commit, resulting in Barry actually killing Thawne? This is consistent with what we are seeing in this episode with the 'YELLOW' reverse flash hauling young Barry to safety rather than the red. Or was it Thawne merely protecting Barry because if Barry doesn't exist, neither does he. There are so many different stories that can be told from this, I am interested to see where they take it.

Tabby

Well as I recall, wasn't there a time where Zoom actually wore Barry's costume and set him up for crimes he did not commit, resulting in Barry actually killing Thawne? This is consistent with what we are seeing in this episode with the 'YELLOW' reverse flash hauling young Barry to safety rather than the red. Or was it Thawne merely protecting Barry because if Barry doesn't exist, neither does he. There are so many different stories that can be told from this, I am interested to see where they take it.
I like to think it was powered up red Barry protecting Young Barry by not letting him see his mom get killed.

Squalor

Barry and Iris will get killed after season 3. Later, Wally West and Linda Park replaces them for the remaining series, where dozens of gaffers drop the show in rage :D
In your hypothetical scenario, waiting four season would be way too long.

Give me Wally "Best Flash" West now!

Joni

Sorry! Amended.

Yeah, I suppose though
it's just a minor thing on Flash it'll have huge implications in Arrow.
I doubt the implications will be big.
It is 2024. They'd have to start that around season 10 at the earliest, and it would only matter if Flash doesn't change the future.

Don't remember if it was said here already but I too think that the ending scene with
his "newspaper" will be like what was done in Back to the Future with newspapers,the "you're fired" fax, pictures and so on. It'll be what Wells uses to know if that future still happens.

Voror

It was alright I thought. A number of cheesy bits and I already don't care at all about the relationship stuff. Still, a pretty good start and I'll definitely keep up with it once it starts airing.

Some of the pacing seemed weird at points to me though.
I feel like it would have been nice to see him telling them at STAR about it rather than jumping right to testing, but that's me.

The Grodd reference was great and I'm very curious to know how they plan on doing that if they do as the effects for that could be very bad potentially unless they frame it during night.

Not sure about having this event potentially being the source of every supervillain and it seems weird if there are no other metahumans besides Barry who actually use their powers for for something other than personal gain. Then again, I suppose that could be expected.

I'm curious though if this will mean every villain we get will have powers with none having tech. I know they did something like this for the New 52, but I sort of liked having the variance between people with powers and those with advanced tech. Like perhaps have Captain Cold be a former STAR Labs employee.

I'm leaning towards agreement on both Barry and Zoom being present that night, but we'll see.

For some reason, I'd be surprised if Thawne is Zoom, though it could always be that he becomes Zoom later on. Very curious if they're keeping to him being for the future if he is him. There'd be something screwed up if he came to the past to dick around with Barry's life and steal his love interest, though also perfectly in character.

Now Wells I have no idea about. That look at the end seems satisfied to me so maybe evil? That would seem to indicate he came back in time for the sole purpose of creating that generator to fail and then create the Flash and other metahumans.

Also is Mardon dead? Or will his brother be revealed to have survived too and succeed him or something? I thought it was interesting we never saw him.

I liked the fact that they mentioned Clyde had a brother that wasn't shown. They're probably saving him to be used as another Weather Wizard for the Rogues.

Voror

I liked the fact that they mentioned Clyde had a brother that wasn't shown. They're probably saving him to be used as another Weather Wizard for the Rogues.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think as well, especially since Mark was always the Weather Wizard in the comics, though that doesn't need to mean anything I guess.

Damn, Barry goes to see
Oliver but doesn't take the time to romance Felicity? He's the one man on the planet who could make a long distance relationship work.

Mariolee

Nothing from MoS has happened in Arrowverse. You are imagining timeline connections. Showrunners were always clear that for now Arrowverse is separate from anything else that DC has, and also, they never hinted anything in the show that could prove otherwise. They had talks with DC bosses where they talked about future connections, but chances of timelines joining together are very small [IMO they probably just received orders to stay the fuck away from certain DC properties].

I understand that. Never did I say there were timeline connections, but in fact the opposite: that the timelines were already well past the point of no return in terms of clashing plot holes. The reason I entertain the idea at all was because of certain articles giving the impression that it was still an open door, when it almost clearly isn't.

JDSN

Banned
It has the usuals CWisms like weak female characters, exposition, and a dude kissing the main girl in the distance while the protagonist watches, which got a standing ovation from me, but in general it was a good enough but it could easily go Smallvile. It will probably suck since time travel ruins everything. The cop seems hardly like a father figure, what a dick.

Wiktor

It has the usuals CWisms like weak female characters, exposition, and a dude kissing the main girl in the distance while the protagonist watches, which got a standing ovation from me, but in general it was a good enough but it could easily go Smallvile. It will probably suck since time travel ruins everything. The cop seems hardly like a father figure, what a dick.

Arrow has a lot of strong female characters though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I actually like the idea of keeping the film and television universes largely separate. Some nods here and there are nice, but I'd rather one not get bogged down by the other.

I might be alone on this one, but I actually like the supporting cast already. It's nice that Team Flash is basically already set up. Arrow became a much stronger show once the supporting characters were in on Oliver's plans. There are really only two scenes I really didn't like. The mugging at Star Labs and some of the really on the nose remarks during Barry's childhood scenes.

But I'll let these guys do what they do. I avoided Arrow for the longest time because I thought it might be connected to Smallville, which I had zero interest in revisiting. Glad I listened to GAF when everyone was saying that it was actually a fun fast paced action show. Flash seems to be of the same pedigree. They probably would have been better served with a two hour premiere. But they fit tons into the pilot and it works for the most part. You can tell that the showrunners just want to hit the ground running.

Wiktor

Damn, Barry goes to see
Oliver but doesn't take the time to romance Felicity? He's the one man on the planet who could make a long distance relationship work.

The only romance Barry is interested in
, when it comes to Starling City is the one with Oliver :D

Pluto

So I finally watched the pilot and I really liked it except for a few things.

When he was in the hospital after being struck by lightning he flatlined, they even announced "no heartbeat" and then they defibrillated him ... defibrillation causes an asystole, it stops the heart, if it has already stopped beating you're just stopping it more.

Then when he woke up from the coma there were several things, they basically explained that the speed force stops muscle atrophy and gives people abs, fine and apparently it also protected the brain, because Barry shouldn't know how to walk, talk or do anything after such a long coma. But if the speedforce did it I can live with it.
What was ridiculous in that scene was Caitlin immediately going "pee in the cup, please". Why would she do that? If she needed urine she could have taken it at any time from the catheter Barry should have had, and where was his PEG and why did he wear sweat pants and not diapers? Did they let him poop and pee in his pants for nine months?
And of all things, why did his hair look perfect? Let's ignore that they most likely wouldn't keep the exact same cut for a patient in a coma, it was styled exactly like Barry styled it before and after the accident, they have weird priorities in patient care.

I get that they wanted Grant Gustin to look good and that's hard if he had hopped out of bed with an adult diaper, a urine bag in his hand and a feeding tube sticking out of his belly but they could have avoided that by cutting between him waking up and getting out of bed. Throw in a line like "It's been thirty minutes since you woke up from a coma and if I didn't know I couldn't tell ..." and you're done. It gives them time to remove everything and for Barry's super fast healing to take care of the rest.

Those are minor things but it really pulled me out of the story, I was like "Wait, what? That's all wrong!"

Watch the 100 or Reign brah.

So I finally watched the pilot and I really liked it except for a few things.

When he was in the hospital after being struck by lightning he flatlined, they even announced "no heartbeat" and then they defibrillated him ... defibrillation causes an asystole, it stops the heart, if it has already stopped beating you're just stopping it more.

Then when he woke up from the coma there were several things, they basically explained that the speed force stops muscle atrophy and gives people abs, fine and apparently it also protected the brain, because Barry shouldn't know how to walk, talk or do anything after such a long coma. But if the speedforce did it I can live with it.
What was ridiculous in that scene was Caitlin immediately going "pee in the cup, please". Why would she do that? If she needed urine she could have taken it at any time from the catheter Barry should have had, and where was his PEG and why did he wear sweat pants and not diapers? Did they let him poop and pee in his pants for nine months?
And of all things, why did his hair look perfect? Let's ignore that they most likely wouldn't keep the exact same cut for a patient in a coma, it was styled exactly like Barry styled it before and after the accident, they have weird priorities in patient care.

I get that they wanted Grant Gustin to look good and that's hard if he had hopped out of bed with an adult diaper, a urine bag in his hand and a feeding tube sticking out of his belly but they could have avoided that by cutting between him waking up and getting out of bed. Throw in a line like "It's been thirty minutes since you woke up from a coma and if I didn't know I couldn't tell ..." and you're done. It gives them time to remove everything and for Barry's super fast healing to take care of the rest.

Those are minor things but it really pulled me out of the story, I was like "Wait, what? That's all wrong!"

I can understand the issues with medical procedures not being shown properly, but to be fair what shows ever get that 100% right and if you were to go 100% autentic you just wouldnt have a show to begin with but to complain about the memory stuff etc is just really weird, i mean this is a show about a guy who gets struck by lightning, which in turn is actually part of some cosmic force that gives me the ability to not inly run at super speeds but heal broken arms in 3 hours, run fast enough to time travel etc, your not going to get a realistic take on what a coma patient goes through, i mean what show ever bothers to explain the actual survival odds of a coma patient?

The Grodd reference was great and I'm very curious to know how they plan on doing that if they do as the effects for that could be very bad potentially unless they frame it during night.

I'm expecting
their version of Grodd to have been altered by what happened to look more human and a lot less gorilla to get around the problem and just having a few prosthetics added to whomever they cast for the role.

It was alright I thought. A number of cheesy bits and I already don't care at all about the relationship stuff. Still, a pretty good start and I'll definitely keep up with it once it starts airing.

Some of the pacing seemed weird at points to me though.
I feel like it would have been nice to see him telling them at STAR about it rather than jumping right to testing, but that's me.

This is the one thing that narked me. He goes from discovering he has powers straight to STAR labs testing him on a track field with radar guns and shit. Like they didn't think him telling them some funky stuffs going on and them probably laughing at him would make an interesting scene?

Overall good ep.

Tabby

This is the one thing that narked me. He goes from discovering he has powers straight to STAR labs testing him on a track field with radar guns and shit. Like they didn't think him telling them some funky stuffs going on and them probably laughing at him would make an interesting scene?

Overall good ep.
To be honest I think he's just happy he has powers and that he can do some good. When he was little he got in a fight for trying to save some kid.

jett

D-Member
That pilot was very Arrowy, big on needless melodrama, CW-like casting, etc. But it had some neat action scenes. Will watch.

Furyous

I loved the pilot but haven't followed the flash comic series
since they killed Bart Allen since he was in the costume and just picked up the new 52 series because of the Wally West controversy

With that said can someone explain the ending for me?

What was the significance of the doctor walking into that room and looking at a future newspaper with the flash disappearing 10 years from now?

I loved the pilot but haven't followed the flash comic series
since they killed Bart Allen since he was in the costume and just picked up the new 52 series because of the Wally West controversy

With that said can someone explain the ending for me?

What was the significance of the doctor walking into that room and looking at a future newspaper with the flash disappearing 10 years from now?
Crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom