• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look: Baby Driver (Dir. Edgar Wright)

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Entertainment Weekly had a feature today on Edgar Wright's next movie Baby Driver. Surely going to be one of 2017's most unique movies.
df-04076.jpg
“I always wanted to do an action movie that was powered by music,” says Wright, who also wrote Baby Driver. “It’s something that’s very much a part of my previous films and I thought of this idea of how to take that a stage further by having a character who listens to music the entire time. So, you have this young getaway driver who has to soundtrack his entire existence, particularly the bank robberies and fast getaways that come afterwards.”

This quote is particularly revealing and a bit surprising as far as tone of the film goes.
The director of the zombie-filled Shaun of the Dead, the buddy cop-homaging Hot Fuzz, and the alien invasion film The World’s End is no stranger to genre movies. But while those projects had a thick comedic streak, Wright reveals that Baby Driver is designed to shred nerves more than tickle funny-bones. “It’s an action crime film,” says Wright. “It’s funny in places but it’s not a comedy. It gets genuinely tense and threatening. That was actually a fun thing for me — to do dramatic or thriller scenes which just up the ante.”

Comes out August 11th. We should be getting a trailer very soon.

ezekial45

Banned
I really dislike the title (makes me think of an spin-off of Baby Geniuses), but I'm loving everything else I'm seeing and hearing about this movie. Really excited for the trailer.

I've been moving this production stuff around for this movie for a bit. I thought the title was stupid. But the pics are pretty good

Prompto

Banned
Interesting that this won't be as comedic as his other films. Really looking forward to this and I'm happy they changed the release date. Maybe it has a chance of being successful now!

overcast

Interesting that this won't be as comedic as his other films. Really looking forward to this and I'm happy they changed the release date. Maybe it has a chance of being successful now!
Early August looks pretty bare aside from the emoji flick. Hopefully this can find an audience. It's probably not super cheap to produce, might be his most expensive. Plus the title is pretty bad.

Mariolee

There has yet to be a piece of work I've seen of Wright's that has disappointed me, including The World's End. Extremely excited for this.

Super hyped for this. God damn the chase scenes are gonna be energetic. And wright working with people like Foxx, Spacey and Hamm on his script is gonna be hype

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hot Fuzz is the most overrated film in the entire history of moving pictures, and World's End sucked. I don't get the love for this guy's work.

Perhaps not being a comedy will make this film different.

Hot Fuzz is the most overrated film in the entire history of moving pictures, and World's End sucked. I don't get the love for this guy's work.

Perhaps not being a comedy will make this film different.

h87531930

Super hyped for this. God damn the chase scenes are gonna be energetic. And wright working with people like Foxx, Spacey and Hamm on his script is gonna be hype
I didn't realize until this thread he had such an awesome cast for this movie. I'm even more excited.

kris.

Banned
Don't need to know anything other than that it's directed by Wright. I'm there day zero.

“I always wanted to do an action movie that was powered by music,”

but yeah this sounds amazing right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom