• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look: Baby Driver (Dir. Edgar Wright)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
...worst movie title in a long time?

"Baby driver" sounds like a movie where a CGI baby voiced by Adam Sandler drives people around in a taxi.

I just find it so bizarre and racist that a film maker from London refuses to put any brown characters in his movies. I mean, just one? In one movie? Is it really THAT difficult?

Its one of the reasons I definitely cannot enjoy his UK output. He seems to be creating an alternative, racist reality, that says only white people exist, or are important, in the UK and London, which is absurd to anyone who has spent even a day here. Kingsmen, I would say was also quite racist and classist, perhaps far worse actually. An enjoyable, but racist movie. It'd be like if they made a movie set in Atlanta, and you only saw white people, and white people saving the day.

Has much as I like him, it's tough to excuse him perpetuating racism, isolation, and repression. Even Rogue One had the good sense to finally include a brown dude in a small role, and that seems revolutionary, but American media is making an effort, at least.

Saya

I just find it so bizarre and racist that a film maker from London refuses to put any brown characters in his movies. I mean, just one? In one movie? Is it really THAT difficult?

Its one of the reasons I definitely cannot enjoy his UK output. He seems to be creating an alternative, racist reality, that says only white people exist, or are important, in the UK and London, which is absurd to anyone who has spent even a day here. Kingsmen, I would say was also quite racist and classist, perhaps far worse actually. An enjoyable, but racist movie. It'd be like if they made a movie set in Atlanta, and you only saw white people, and white people saving the day.

Has much as I like him, it's tough to excuse him perpetuating racism, isolation, and repression. Even Rogue One had the good sense to finally include a brown dude in a small role, and that seems revolutionary, but American media is making an effort, at least.

Jamie Foxx and Eiza González are in Baby Driver.

the movie you thought Drive was gonna be, maybe

Edgar Wright isn't ever making that movie.

There are slight differences in the movies Edgar Wright and Nicolas Winding Refn make.. To put it simply.

Hyped for this. The World's End was his weakest IMO and I still quite enjoy that film. While he excels at comedy I'm down for him to do something that's more serious, too.

*reads synopsis for Drive*

So, uh, The Driver?
Wasn't a serious post, my dudes.

A-V-B

...Edgar Wright, perpetrator of racism.

That's a new one on me.

Pastulio

Banned
Hot Fuzz is the most overrated film in the entire history of moving pictures, and World's End sucked. I don't get the love for this guy's work.

Perhaps not being a comedy will make this film different.

0f5adf207b9e634acdd971b4af7bf8f5.png

Yup.

big ander

I really dislike the title (makes me think of an spin-off of Baby Geniuses), but I'm loving everything else I'm seeing and hearing about this movie. Really excited for the trailer.
...worst movie title in a long time?

"Baby driver" sounds like a movie where a CGI baby voiced by Adam Sandler drives people around in a taxi.
"Baby Driver" is a very well-known Simon & Garfunkel song that predates Baby Geniuses and the heyday of Sandler by thirty years. The lyrics are "I was born one dark gray morn With music coming in my ears/They call me Baby Driver And once upon a pair of wheels/I hit the road and I'm gone." From what we know of the movie already, it fits it to a T, I think you'd agree.

It's a great song, check it out. Or wait until it inevitably plays as the first song in this movie.

big ander

As usual with conversations like these I think the language you're using is overly strong and purposefully confrontational to the point that you're narrowing the possibility of reasonable discussion or being heard by your intended audience—he's not a racist filmmaker perpetuating racism through a racist fantasy world like you say, as that would mean explicitly encouraging discrimination and hate based on skin color and you'd be hard-pressed to provide evidence of that in his movies. But the lack of representation in his filmography is 100% a problem, going all the way back to Spaced, and it should've been called out sooner. All of which is why I'm glad this seems to be a step forward, considering the multiple poc in key supporting roles.

Hot Fuzz is the most overrated film in the entire history of moving pictures, and World's End sucked. I don't get the love for this guy's work.

Perhaps not being a comedy will make this film different.
This is single handedly the post on gaf I find the most disgusting since I've joined.

What a tremendously shitty opinion. Whatever you say you like or dislike from now on will carry this opinion forever more.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm a big Edgar Wright fan, so I'll give this movie a go. It'll be interesting to see him tackle more serious subject matter. We already know how good he is at directing action. Seeing that through a darker, more intense lens should be fun.

There were three minorities in the Evil Exes as well as Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Little nervous about it not being a comedy but he hasn't made a single bad film so I'm sure he will deliver once again.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I think this sounds amazing. The premise is great. Hope it has a fantastic soundtrack to supplement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom