• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look of Metro: Last Light on PS4

A higher setting doesn't change the graphics, it changed the clarity of the graphics.

EUvTI3H.jpg

FeiRR

Banned
I played both on PC so not really interested but I'd recommend it to any shooter fan. Last Light has some of the most immersive graphics in PC gaming (I prefer it to Crysis 3).

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Is it really that difficult to understand? You think that a high resolution picture of a turd makes it look like a diamond ... no, it makes it look like a clearer picture of a turd. This false equivalence of resolution equals better graphics is something perpetuated by PC obsessed gamers. We all want better clarity and smoother gameplay, but neither has anything to do with art direction, composition, design, style or anything else that actually DOES relate to graphics.

Nethaniah

Is it really that difficult to understand? You think that a high resolution picture of a turd makes it look like a diamond ... no, it makes it look like a clearer picture of a turd.

The resolution setting is generally always seperate from the actual graphical settings fyi.

This false equivalence of resolution equals better graphics is something perpetuated by PC obsessed gamers. We all want better clarity and smoother gameplay, but neither has anything to do with art direction, composition, design, style or anything else that actually DOES relate to graphics.

Ah, going the art direction route are we.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The resolution setting is generally always seperate from the actual graphical settings fyi.

I've never seen a setting that changes the art style of a game on any PC. Nothing 'really' changes from the overall vision of the artist involved in creating the game.

Is it really that difficult to understand? You think that a high resolution picture of a turd makes it look like a diamond ... no, it makes it look like a clearer picture of a turd. This false equivalence of resolution equals better graphics is something perpetuated by PC obsessed gamers. We all want better clarity and smoother gameplay, but neither has anything to do with art direction, composition, design, style or anything else that actually DOES relate to graphics.

Resolution is one graphics setting, there are plenty of others which are performance dependent too but are not just related to image quality. Tesselation, ambient occlusion, soft shadowing, global illumination, subsurface scatter, etcetera. All of these things relate to graphics, and are directly influenced by the power of the machine producing those graphics.

I've never seen a setting that changes the art style of a game on any PC. Nothing 'really' changes from the overall vision of the artist involved in creating the game.

You're wrong. Everything I mentioned above has an influence on art direction.

Nethaniah

Well what do you think graphics are? When you say you like the graphics of a game what exactly are you talking about?

Higher quality textures / better shadows / better AO / Anisotropic filtering / Anti-Aliasing / Higher quality lighting / Tesselation / Draw / View distance.

Missing alot but that's what graphic settings are, not ''change this setting to go from Gears of War to a Kirby like setting'' what you seem to believe, because THAT would be artstyle.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Resolution is one graphics setting, there are plenty of others which are performance dependent too but are not just related to image quality. Tesselation, ambient occlusion, soft shadowing, global illumination, subsurface scatter, etcetera. All of these things relate to graphics, and are directly influenced by the power of the machine producing those graphics.

You're wrong. Everything I mentioned above has an influence on art direction.

But it still doesn't change much about how a game looks overall. TLOU blows this game out of the water in terms of graphics and yet here we are in a thread full of people still talking about how fantastic this game is graphically. It's a great game, I'm playing it now, but it's really not anything special graphically.

I've seen this game on high setting with all the additional effects turned on (as mentioned above) but it STILL looks more all less the same.

Jito

Banned
Clear confusion between Graphics settings / Graphics quality with artstyle. lol

Oh and you're playing on PS3. Maybe try playing it on PC with the settings all on high before chatting shit.

You can talk about asthetics all you want. But in the end I'd prefer a game to look like this:
14046604222_47cc2b9420_o.jpg

Than this:
skyrim_graphics_comparison_by_the77s-d4funij.jpg

Both have the same asthetic, but one is much better than the other graphically

But it still doesn't change much about how a game looks overall. TLOU blows this game out of the water in terms of graphics and yet here we are in a thread full of people still talking about how fantastic this game is graphically. It's a great game, I'm playing it now, but it's really not anything special graphically.

No, you're talking purely about art-direction. You prefer the art-direction of TLOU, and that's fine, but in terms of texture-resolution, shadow-quality, tesselation, lighting precision, etcetera, Last Light on a high-end PC is far more graphically advanced. If you only care about art-direction, then I'm jealous because there are even mobile games with great art-direction if that's all you're looking for. That doesn't mean that graphics and art-direction are synonymous.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No, you're talking purely about art-direction. You prefer the art-direction of TLOU, and that's fine, but in terms of texture-resolution, shadow-quality, tesselation, lighting precision, etcetera, Last Light on a high-end PC is far more graphically advanced. If you only care about art-direction, then I'm jealous because there are even mobile games with great art-direction if that's all you're looking for. That doesn't mean that graphics and art-direction are synonymous.

No, I'm not JUST talking about art style. What I'm trying to point out is that all those techniques that people keep telling me are to do with graphics mean NOTHING if the art style they are used with isn't that good. The beauty of the graphics has to be there for them to be enhanced with any advanced tech. It doesn't matter what you throw at this game, it really isn't that great graphically and no amount of tech will ever change that.

'You haven't seen it on a high end PC!'

I don't need to to see it isn't as good graphically as some people make out.

kuppy

If I'm not judging this wrong it seems like they are actually showing something in 15 minutes:
Vine: [MATURE] All systems go. Frame rate locked. Come back in 15 minutes, we'll make it worth your while...

No, I'm not JUST talking about art style. What I'm trying to point out is that all those techniques that people keep telling me are to do with graphics mean NOTHING if the art style they are used with isn't that good. The beauty of the graphics has to be there for them to be enhanced with any advanced tech. It doesn't matter what you throw at this game, it really isn't that great graphically and no amount of tech will ever change that.

Which is entirely your subjective opinion, with which I and many other people happen to disagree. As long as we're clear, there's nothing else to discuss.

'You haven't seen it on a high end PC!'

I don't need to to see it isn't as good graphically as some people make out.

Okay, this is pointless.

Nethaniah

That still does not make this true.

TLOU blows this game out of the water in terms of graphics

TLOU does not blow this game out of the water in terms of graphics, you're trying to redefine what graphics are to make your point which is turning out to be hilarious.

DrZeus

So glad I waited to play this and last of us. Now I just need GTA 5 to be announced for PS4 and the cycle will be complete.

ryuken-d

Never really got to play these game so I'm hyped as fuuuuuck for this and Last of Us. Anyone know when this is supposed to drop?

oh man I'm envious of you I just played metro last light and then 2033, both are fantastic. 2033 is so good its hard to tell which came first besides the story.

LCGeek

formerly sane

This is a BS argument, The amount of pixels an image contains or the speed/motion of it directly relates to graphics at all times.Downsampling also says hi.

You're just arguing aesthetics over certain aspects of tech most games basically since we started having decent color that is taken for granted.

Top Bottom