• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First official Harry Potter and The Cursed Child pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
Harry going from "can I get a hug" to "Accio, witches."

For real, cast photos look legit. I wasn't exactly sold on a story post-book 7 initially, but I'm sold on a series based on adult Harry as a grizzled auror just looking at the photos.

It seems like such a Hermione thing to do to have her kid have a hyphenated last name. I don't think book 7 specified their kid's last name. Pretty cool detail.

Giolon

I would have preferred some visual continuity with the previous movies IF this were a continuation movie, but this is a play - a completely new adaptation based on the books. Who cares what the race of the characters are then? I trust that the cast that was hired was hired because they were the best for the role. If that means black Hermione, or anyone else being any race for that matter, it's all good.

These cast photos look great, and Rose is totally adorable.

Musolf815

Here are the Malfoys:

HP_20196_Malfoy_FL-2.jpeg

Just like Albus Severus Potter and Rose Granger-Weasley, Scorpius will wear the Hogwarts uniform during Cursed Child, with a typical Malfoy twist.

‘He’s wearing the official Hogwarts uniform before you go and get sorted into your house. He’s a Malfoy so his clothes should be really expensive but quite constraining to make him feel a bit awkward.’

J.K. Rowling also teased that Scorpius might be a hit with the ladies. She said: ‘I've got a feeling Scorpius is going to do nothing to turn girls off the Malfoy men.’

https://www.pottermore.com/news/cursed-child-first-look-at-malfoys-in-character

Absolutely love all of the cast photos so far and looking forward to seeing more characters like (hopefully) Teddy Lupin or Bill and Fleur's daughter (can't remember her name atm).

Excited for the book and I too hope that the performance is captured and sold on Blu-ray like the National Theatre productions are.

Wanderer5

Scorpius looks kind of sad heh.

As for black Hermione, honestly unless they're going to outright mention that she is black in the script, her race is not going to really matter in regards to story canon or whatever heh.

scoobs

Scorpius looks kind of sad heh.

As for black Hermione, honestly unless they're going to outright mention that she is black in the script, her race is not going to really matter in regards to story canon or whatever heh.

Agreed, however the movies (and books) have kind of ingrained her in our minds as a white woman so.. its just going to be a little weird.

Like when I read the books, I'm now seeing the Hermione from the movie (Emma Watson, AKA bae) in my mind. Nothing will ever change that. So changing her race is a bit jarring for avid fans of the movies. Not saying its a bad thing, my brain just doesn't associate Hermione with a black woman.

Mabufu

Banned
We had 8 films, with a white Hermione.

And now they changed their race out of nowhere. That's an awful decision, you are just taunting the fans.

And it's not about being black, it's about the change. If Hermione had been black the 8 films and then she becomes white, there would be rage too.

Plasma

Banned
I love black hermione and like i expressed in the other thread, her being black should not be a problem.

Still, Rowling is full of shit with that reply, when the cast was first announced many months ago (with no pictures) and she originally said that, people where quick to fish a quote on the books that clearly described Hermione's face as "white", not to mention how disingenious the statement is.

"Oh yeah, I never mentioned her skin, yup, I just approved every depiction of her in every media to portray her as white and i admitted publicly that she was my self insert, but by all means, she's race ambiguous!"

I mean, Rowling, please! Just let her be portrayed by a black actress and let that be it, don't try to bullshit your way into a few more minutes on the spotlight.
Agreed in the books if a character isn't white she tends to go out of her way and mention it whereas if they are white she just doesn't say anything so you could use the excuse she gave for pretty much every white character in the book.

Here are the Malfoys:

Older Draco is on point.

And now they changed their race out of nowhere. That's an awful decision, you are just taunting the fans.

And it's not about being black, it's about the change. If Hermione had been black the 8 films and then she becomes white, there would be rage too.

This isn't a film. It's a stage play. People have been telling us that stage plays can cast whoever they want for years. Thus this outcome. If WB does a movie, she'll probably be white again. Until then...

Mabufu

Banned
This isn't a film. It's a stage play. People have been telling us that stage plays can cast whoever they want for years. Thus this outcome. If WB does a movie, she'll probably be white again. Until then...

Oh well, then it's fine for me I guess.

I will never understand fandom and the obsession with canon. It's not like I don't like things, I just don't have the same attachment I guess. Not criticising it, just find it very difficult to imagine myself in that headspace.

Loke13

I will never understand fandom and the obsession with canon. It's not like I don't like things, I just don't have the same attachment I guess. Not criticising it, just find it very difficult to imagine myself in that headspace.
Nope they can get to ridiculous levels sometimes. Especially over something as appearance

Drencrom

Nice cast, especially digging suave looking Ron.

Extremely minor nitpick, but how come Hermione and Ron's daughter isn't mix-raced (from the looks of it)? Would've been cool to see their child being ginger/black.

LOL! Its about ethics in movie cannon! Sure it is .

I prefer when a movie (for example) stays true to the source material. However, changes aren't bad per se, I can think of changes that are pretty good.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Do we know if this is going to be more about the children or the adults? I think I'd prefer the adults, I don't want some Boruto bullshit.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I like the casting choices. Black Hermione is an interesting choice, although I'm pretty sure Rowling wrote her as a white character. Much the same as when Mos Def was cast as Ford Prefect in te HHGTtG movie. Adams never stated what colour Ford was, but IIRC he was so ginger he could've been a Weasley, so..

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why didn't they just use the guy from the old movies (that guy that showed his dick all over the stage for some art play or whatever)? Who cares.

SalvaPot

New Hermione looks like my Grandma and that makes me very uncomfortable, because my grandma is a mean lady and misogynistic (Yes, my grandma thinks men are better than women, even if she pretty much carried the family by herself when grandpa died).

Casting is great, Ron and Rose are pretty cool, Harry looks like its done with your shit and as I said in the other thread, Ginny is exactly what I expected.

I am excited for the play, hopefully there is a way to get everyone to see it...

anaron

book covers aren't ever hard canon, since they also tend to change a lot even for the same book when reprinted
Oh please.

Seven books, ten years and Rowling never took issue with her being depicted as white on the covers of her own work or as depicted in the films.

Not that it matters for the play, anyone should be able to portray her now or going forward, but the character was clearly white in books.

what the fuck happened to hermoine?

even getting past the ridiculous ethnicity change, why isn't Ron and her kid mixed looking?

oh, it's a play? meh, guess it makes it less ridiculous.

We all know the book series should continue with Harry beeing a teacher at Hogwarts and becomming the headmaster of Hogfwarts in the later books.

Sami+

I feel like they should have at least tried to match the looks of the movie cast since they more or less defined the characters imo but whatever. Maybe if they eventually make another movie.

Never gonna see it (I don't watch plays) so it really doesn't matter ¯_(ツ)_/¯

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
what the hell is going on with ron and hermione? ron is meant to be redheaded and hermione's race has been changed? i don't get it. it's not a huge deal on it's own but the books specifically state ron (and his entire family) are red headed and hermione is white. why are they going against the books?

i suppose it's a play. you often get females playing males. nothing will change the way the characters look in my mind when reading the books and if they ever want to make a film of this story they need to stick to the books

what the hell is going on with ron and hermione? ron is meant to be redheaded and hermione's race has been changed? i don't get it. it's not a huge deal on it's own but the books specifically state ron (and his entire family) are red headed and hermione is white. why are they going against the books?

That dude clearly has (faded and aged) red hair. They even died the actor's normally blonde hair for the part.

Please present the passage wherein the books say Hermoine is white.
Because you won't find it.

I'm guessing you aren't very familiar with the theater. Did you know back in the day men played all the roles? I bet that would go over worse than black Hermione.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Eh...black hermionine is weird. But as my girlfriend says, now she's as black as her soul.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
That dude clearly has (faded and aged) red hair. They even died the actor's normally blonde hair for the part.

Please present the passage wherein the books say Hermoine is white.
Because you won't find it.

there are descriptions in prisoner of azkaban about her white/tanned face. if she was black then you should say her face turned white or say their skin is tanned would you?

plus this is the first time we've ever thought about hermione being black. so that alone would suggest she is white. i bet they've just done it to stir up shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom