• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Openly Gay Republican on GOP Platform Committee: ‘Why Am I Even Here?’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

http://time.com/4405261/gay-republicans-convention-rachel-hoff-platform/

Over the last two days, Rachel Hoff has considered leaving the Republican Party for the first time in her life.

The think tank defense analyst from Washington, D.C., who is the first openly gay Republican to serve on her party’s platform committee, sat through a slow march of disappointments that led her to that point days before the 2016 convention. Her peers voted down every amendment that offered softened or inclusive language about the LGBT community, instead doubling down on the belief that marriage is between only one man and one woman and other socially conservative positions.

On Monday, Hoff made an emotional appeal asking the committee to replace some of those sentiments with language she had crafted, stating that marriage is a fundamentally important institution and that “there are diverse and sincerely held views on marriage” within the party. “We are your daughters. We are your sons, your friends, your neighbors, your colleagues, the couple who sits next to you in church,” she said. “Freedom means freedom for everyone, including gays and lesbians … And all I ask today is you include me and those like me.” By an unofficial vote of about 30 to 82, the amendment failed.

What do Republicans stand for in your view?

What the Internet told me was that they stood for individual freedom, for limited government, for the idea that you could make your own decisions better than the government could make them for you, whether that was decisions about how to spend your personal life or decisions about how to spend your money, and a strong national defense. That was something that was always very important to me and went on to define my career.

When did you first realize there were parts of that party that don’t approve of homosexuality?

I remember that was a very, very hard day for me. I went to college in Massachusetts, and my senior year was 2004. That was the year the state Supreme Court issued their ruling [allowing same-sex marriage], which was the first in the country, a real landmark case. My senior year was also when I realized I was gay. So I had just come out. And I went down to the state capitol to observe the protests.

There was this gay community, which I was intrigued by but not a part of. And there were the conservatives on the other side, who had this political belief that I was supposed to be for because that’s what you believed if you were conservative. And I didn’t feel part of either group, and I didn’t really know what group I wanted to be a part of. But the conservatives’ rhetoric and their signs and their whole approach was very hurtful, very offensive.

So when you get that incredulous question about how you are both gay and Republican, what do you tell people?

What usually comes out is that I clearly disagree with my party on this issue, on marriage, on LGBT rights. But that’s one part of who I am and that’s one issue that I care about. Were I to be a Democrat because they’re for equality and LGBT rights, there would be a whole list of issues I would disagree with that party about. So I wouldn’t feel more at home there, just because on this one issue I’m like-minded. To me, being an Independent has never really been an attractive option, though I did think about it over the last couple days.

Is there a risk the party is running of alienating young voters by not being more inclusive of the LGBT community?

The demographic realities are clear on this issue. Young voters overwhelming support marriage equality—and even young Republican voters support marriage equality. There’s a lot in the Republican Party that could appeal to young voters, but they won’t even consider voting Republican because of our stance on these issues. Right now our party is not even an option for them, by and large. But that’s not the reason we should evolve on those issues. The reason why we need to change our stance is that it’s the right thing to do and because it’s in line with Republican principles of liberty, freedom and equality.

You mentioned that you had given some thought to being an Independent over the last couple days as these meetings went on. What frustration brought you to that point?

It wasn’t the marriage stuff. I had anticipated that my amendment would not pass. It was the amendments where the committee members refused to even stand with the basic human rights of LGBT individuals. We name so many individual groups in that document, and let’s name LGBT people. When they refused to even do that, I thought, what do we even stand for? Why am I even here? … These last few days is the first time I ever thought about leaving the Republican Party. But I’ve decided not to.

And why not?

My spirits were lifted in certain ways by what happened this week. There was a lot of good that came out of the platform compared to 2012. [Fewer sections] of the platform have anti-LGBT language. And some include language about employment non-discrimination. Also I was really encouraged by the number of people who raised their hand and voted for respecting the diversity of opinion in the party on marriage. There is clearly a lot more work to be done. And if me, and people like me, advocates for LGBT rights, if we all just leave, then the party’s never going to get better. So the plan is to stay.

Expand the two-party system if old.

What the Internet told me was that they stood for individual freedom, for limited government, for the idea that you could make your own decisions better than the government could make them for you, whether that was decisions about how to spend your personal life or decisions about how to spend your money, and a strong national defense
Which internet did she go on

Must have been rough to find out about that Mike Pence VP pick

Can't fault her for wanting to stay and be a force for positive change in the party but I really don't see the GOP turning back from this downward hate spiral they're in.

Must have been rough to find out about that Mike Pence VP pick

Can't fault her for wanting to stay and be a force for positive change in the party but I really don't see the GOP turning back from this downward hate spiral they're in.
Yup. So many of their policies seem to be based on being contrarian rather than things they claim to be about. :/

I mean, good on you for wanting to try and change a party from within but I hope it doesn't break you too much when they never do.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I rarely have respect for those who work against their self interests. Makes progress 10x harder

Well it appears she was working for her own self interests and those of the LGBT community but the GOP, and its no surprise, doesn't give a shit about them and is actively against the community.

I can't imagine joining a party that hated me and wished I didn't exist just because of some meaningless platitudes about "freedom" or "limited government." I mean, honestly, how limited is a government really when it's actively working to discriminate against historically oppressed groups who are harming no one? "No, can't be a Democrat, they're opposed to freedom!" That is unfathomably stupid. Now she's faced with the reality that the people running her party hate her, and rather than leave, she thinks she can change them? The GOP is the political equivalent of battered person syndrome. It's just sad. Come on over to the liberal side; maybe we put too much faith in government, but we throw really kick-ass parties, and we tend not to hate everyone who isn't a heteronormative Christian white person.

The reason why we need to change our stance is that it’s the right thing to do and because it’s in line with Republican principles of liberty, freedom and equality.

Yo maybe those aren't the actual principles of the Republican party

Maybe that's just what they say they are

DOWN

Banned
"They disregard human rights but that's not as important so I'll stay I guess"

She's in denial

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
re: "why is she a republican in the first place"

because she's a war hawk defence analyst that wants to bankrupt the country by radically increasing the military budget?

That's what I was told the republican part was about growing up

Of course it's a lie
eU8Aq90.jpg

Geist-

“Freedom means freedom for everyone, including gays and lesbians … And all I ask today is you include me and those like me.” By an unofficial vote of about 30 to 82, the amendment failed.

I'll be honest, I didn't even think it would get that many votes in favor.

I have to respect that's she's trying, but progress does seem doubtful until the entirety of the GOP leadership is replaced by another generation.

Leunam

I can understand that her views might ultimately align more with Republicans, and I'm certain that's the case for people who are not single issue voters.

But in the end, the party platform does not see her as a person worthy of equality, no matter what her feelings are on taxes, defense, or the role of government.

Why is she Republican in the first place if she's gay? Not seeing the logic there.
Rachel Hoff said:
Were I to be a Democrat because they’re for equality and LGBT rights, there would be a whole list of issues I would disagree with that party about. So I wouldn’t feel more at home there, just because on this one issue I’m like-minded.

Hoff's answer is as straight forward as possible. She values economic issues more than LGBT rights.

daveo42

Banned
She was on NPR a few days ago specifically about that. Very very odd her ideals on national security override her personal beliefs on sexuality. Odder still because she should know what's best for her with out the government getting involved, unless it's about security issues and the military. Go figure.

Which internet did she go on

Republican internet, where anything is true if you believe hard enough and shout it at people loud enough. And if they don't you just bomb them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What the Internet told me was that they stood for individual freedom, for limited government, for the idea that you could make your own decisions better than the government could make them for you, whether that was decisions about how to spend your personal life or decisions about how to spend your money, and a strong national defense. That was something that was always very important to me and went on to define my career.

Which internet was th--

--Oh, I see I was beaten. But still: Who the hell told her this? How the fuck did she miss the signs that the GOP doesn't want her!?

I mean unless she was like a "log-cabin Republican" where she self-hates her sexuality, the GOP has been pretty damn open about not wanting anyone that isn't a straight white-dude in their party for years.

Future

Well I would hope most people from each party wouldnt just choose one issue and roll with the party cuz of that. Similar to the people saying Clinton lied and therefore they can't vote for her, even though there is much more that her presidency would bring

It's gotta be tough being in that environment though. Not just the votes themselves, but the rhetoric and talk behind it. In my anecdotal experience people that believe marriage is between men and women only don't usually have nice things to say about homosexuality in general

Alucrid

Banned
“Freedom means freedom for everyone, including gays and lesbians … And all I ask today is you include me and those like me.” By an unofficial vote of about 30 to 82, the amendment failed.

lol, so what, she tried to appeal to their humanity? i guess she missed their caveat of adhering the their principles except when it doesn't suit them

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Ironically, Republicans like her are the future of the party if they ever hope to hold national office again but the conservative wing will never give up because there's too much support at local levels nationwide.

Monocle

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. That fantasy of changing the Republican party from the inside is a sad joke.

The GOP has never stood for personal freedom. Once I realized this, I stopped caring about them.
They're all for personal freedom if your interests happen to precisely align with straight white wealthy people.

tkscz

I believe in individualism over group mentallity, so someone within LGBT wanting to be Republican based on having more in relation with some of their beliefs over being Liberal is not a surprise to me. However, how she came to her conclusions without realizing that a majority of Republicans are against gay marriage (think about 68%) is another question.

platocplx

Hoff's answer is as straight forward as possible. She values economic issues more than LGBT rights.
Yup. Money means more to her than social justice and freedom. What an ugly sin greed can be

I listened to this woman speak on NPR. She was struggling to answer questions like you know its wrong but you do it anyway. Some of the worst people on the planet operate like this and allow for atrocities to occur.
She was on NPR a few days ago specifically about that. Very very odd her ideals on national security override her personal beliefs on sexuality. Odder still because she should know what's best for her with out the government getting involved, unless it's about security issues and the military. Go figure.
Her interview was extremely sad. Literally felt like listening to someone go to the dark side.

Nephtes

Have to give her props for trying to get the GOP to live up to the idea that they're about personal liberty and freedom...

Sadly, if you're gay the platform wants your vote but gives you the middle finger instead.

How many votes would the GOP gain/lose if they were ACTUALLY for personal liberties and stopped attempting to legislate morality in the bedroom?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this point the GOP's attitude towards social issues and human rights has grown beyond just being an inconvenient distraction for people who want to focus on conservative economics or foreign policy. It's indicative of a group of people sick to the core, whose fundamental perspective on reality goes against the struggle to create a world most people would want to live in.

It has become so cartoonish it's a bit like saying a super villain isn't really so bad because he's got some great ideas about spending - as if said villain could be trusted to really do anything good with control of the economy once it was acquired.

platocplx

GOPs idea of Freedom is different than most.

Its freedom to hate as much as you want.
Its freedom to lie, not have an decorum for your fellow Americans.
Its freedom to restrict the rights of others
Its freedom to screw the poor and middle class without repercussions.

I can go on and on.but their vision of freedom is far from what people think

HylianTom

Banned
There are ways to advocate for defense/security matters without empowering a party whose base would love to see 150 volts sent through one's cranium.

DOWN

Banned
They won't let her be free to have the same treatment as straight people, yet she thinks she's in the party of freedom

Future

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. That fantasy of changing the Republican party from the inside is a sad joke.

They're all for personal freedom if your interests happen to precisely align with straight white wealthy people.

I think you meant white wealthy straight men

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I believe in individualism over group mentallity, so someone within LGBT wanting to be Republican based on having more in relation with some of their beliefs over being Liberal is not a surprise to me. However, how she came to her conclusions without realizing that a majority of Republicans are against gay marriage (think about 68%) is another question.
But there isn't a ton of difference between blue dog democrats like max Baucus and the GOP on economic issues. The biggest difference is on social issues.

If she has conservative economic views, she should be at home with the conservative wing of the democratic party.

The big tent of the Democratic Party allows for both her social and economic views.

Sounds like she wants to remain in the trenches in the hope that she can change attitudes, and maybe, as a ripple effect way down the road, policy. If so, respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom