• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First pics of current PSP2 DevKit [Update: Large Update In OP]

AAK

Currently 3 AM in Japan

Sony Headquarters are going to wake up anytime now and see this nightmare leak again!

A lot of people are going to get fired :lol

ShinNL

I wish they didn't go with a rounded sides' slide design. It looks okay when closed but I don't like the butt shapes on the side when opened. I know it probably feels more ergonomic, but still...

Also: PSP looks sexier. It was one of the things that really made you go: wow, Nintendo DS looks like a toy in comparison. This design looks a lot less flashy.

Hopefully the end-product does look better.

PS. Yes I care about the games, but design is also important. No reason not wanting to have both, right?

Twice the ram of 360? Jesus.

With that in mind, the processor and graphics card will be almost or beyond the 360 specs I am guessing.

We are looking at a $299-$399 launch.

ultron87

Dual thumbsticks = win.

So at this point we really just need Gizmodo to pick one up that was 'left in a bar' and the PSP2 will hit the entire "Worst kept technology secret ever" cycle.

Spiegel

Devkit?

This is the devkit of the original psp (on the right).
nte6y.jpg

It looks nothing like the real handheld

Lince

Banned
sweetvar26 said:

With that in mind, the processor and graphics card will be almost or beyond the 360 specs I am guessing.

what about battery life?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone wanna try and work out screensize, based on the buttons or something? Assuming they're the same size as current PSP buttons...

Hmm, could the back touch screen be a way of having some touch functionality while in a "core-gaming" mode? And the screen is touch when the controls aren't slid out?

sweetvar26 said:

Don't go there! That's the conclusion Kotaku came to and left GAF shouting at each other for weeks on end about. There is no necessary correlation between RAM and cpu/gpu power.

Soneet said:
Also: PSP looks sexier. It was one of the things that really made you go: wow, Nintendo DS looks like a toy in comparison. This design looks a lot less flashy.
This could have been pulled right from 2004 :lol

No touch screen or 3D. I was half expecting Sony to go with that to directly compete with the 3DS's main focus points.

jiggles

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Hmm, could the back touch screen be a way of having some touch functionality while in a "core-gaming" mode?

It'll probably just be the L2/R2 buttons when used in those situations.

gofreak said:
Shoulder buttons look like they have more travel.

Do you see two sets or is it just me? Two rectangles nearer the centre of the back.

Edit: nevermind I AM looking at the edge of the 4 in the watermark. :lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The indention around the buttons,d-pad, and sticks look like something out of the late 90's / early 2000's to me. I'm a little skeptical.

I was under the impression that it would be single stick + rear touch pad. Twin sticks is an odd but welcome surprise...though I wonder why they wouldn't go with a touch screen. 3D isn't completely out of the question, I suppose.

deleted

I have no idea how I should hold that thing without getting cramps constantly. The sticks and stuff looks way to much on the edge of the thing.

The back-trackpad however I can dig. Sound like a good idea to use a touchscreen like thing where you don't have to block the screen with your hand.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Guys they've switched to Xbox style concave analog sticks!

Great news that they've included two analog sticks and made them concave as it should make them infinitely easier to grip compared to the original.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jigglywiggly said:
It'll probably just be the L2/R2 buttons when used in those situations.

The touchpad would be for both scenarios. But in closed configuration it would obviously be a little more 'positionally 1:1' with the screen, a little less abstract.

1-D_FTW

Byakuya769 said:
Hmm, could the back touch screen be a way of having some touch functionality while in a "core-gaming" mode? And the screen is touch when the controls aren't slid out?

Of course. And when you're in touch screen only mode, your hands will still be resting on the back. So they can use the touch pad for some defacto buttons. Seems like a very versatile design.

gofreak said:
The touchpad would be for both scenarios. But in closed configuration it would obviously be a little more 'positionally 1:1' with the screen, a little less abstract.

You don't think the screen itself will be touch, then? That's a valid assumption, but I hope that it isn't true; it just seems very backwards.

1-D_FTW said:
Of course. And when you're in touch screen only mode, your hands will still be resting on the back. So they can use the touch pad for some defacto buttons. Seems like a very versatile design.

I like that.

depward

There. Those who are up in arms about how the PSP needs two sticks can now finally rejoice. I don't see a need for it but whatevs.

Mr_Brit

Banned
B.K. said:
That didn't stop PS1 emulation on the PSP.
A lot more PS2 games use L2 and R2 than PS1 games where only a few games used them and only for a few actions thoughout the game.

sweetvar26 said:

its great you've arrived at this conclusion with hardly any information.

offshore

vg247 just updated the story saying this model is old and Sony switched to a non sliding unit.
We’ve been told by a source that these images are from the last kit. There’s a newer one, which is a single, non-sliding block. Remember those last Kotaku rumours of the unit over heating? Sony switched back to the current PSP form in order to cool it down.

Top Bottom