• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First pics of current PSP2 DevKit [Update: Large Update In OP]

Baconbitz

Banned
Belfast said:
Aaaaaand yes it will. It will be more successful without UMD, which is a dead format. Lack of backwards compatibility has proven to be less of an issue in regards to sales this cycle, so just keep your old PSP around if you care about your UMDs.

I'm happy to ditch it for a Memory Stick or Digital Download option.
Yeah, that's why the PSP Go is selling sooooo well. o_O.

Sipowicz

Banned
the design is pretty bold. no shoulder buttons, a back touch screen and (presumably) no 3D

much riskier than what nintendo is doing

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lunchbox said:
i wanted the psp phone

I don't think it's an either/or in that sense.

Based on a very rough eyeballing, using the buttons as a point of comparison (assuming they're the same size), whatever this is would be a bit bigger than the Go. Maybe someone else can do a more exacting comparison. I was going to take a stab at screensize, but the image is really shitty, it's hard to know where the screen begins and ends.

qPN0K.png

I wonder if they're replacing this unit, or as Kotaku reported, considering it as one option vs the PSP-3000-ish one.

Sipowicz said:
the design is pretty bold. no shoulder buttons, a back touch screen and (presumably) no 3D

much riskier than what nintendo is doing

There's shoulder buttons there I think. They're just not the same design as PSP's.

StuBurns

Banned
NinjaFusion said:
OMG so OBVIOUSLY fake.
I stand by not believing that. It is the ugliest gaming console for a very long time, and the old PS3 looked awesome.

PSP Go looks like ass, as does the new one it appears.

Apath

NinjaFusion said:
OMG so OBVIOUSLY fake.
Hindsight is 20-20 ;)
StuBurns said:
I stand by not believing that. It is the ugliest gaming console for a very long time, and the old PS3 looked awesome.

PSP Go looks like ass, as does the new one it appears.
It looks nicer than the original PSP. The only flaw with it is the stupid Start/Select placement. How you can say it looks like ass is beyond me =\

I don't get why people say there are no shoulder buttons. Am I missing something? have they mentioned no shoulder buttons? because to me, these:

7GIai.jpg

look like shoulder buttons

badcrumble said:
I still think that the 'rear trackpad' idea is stupid, stupid, stupid.
At this point after thinking 2 screens on a handheld was stupid, as was the idea of the Wii, I'm willing to give it a shot. It all depends on how it is utilized however, and Nintendo tends to be the master of that.

Barrett2

Im' more interested in this fall 2011 release date. I would hope they'll give us some solid info before the 3DS release, otherwise im' spending all my money on that and will have made too much of an investment to pick up a PSP2 at release.

badcrumble said:
I still think that the 'rear trackpad' idea is stupid, stupid, stupid.

Agreed. Using it instead of a conventional touchscreen makes no sense unless Sony has gone the autostereoscopic route after all, which is unlikely considering every comment Sony execs have made about 3DS.

Sipowicz

Banned
gofreak said:
There's shoulder buttons there I think. They're just not the same design as PSP's.

it's still riskier. the back touch screen is more of an unknown quantity than 3d, accelerometers etc. once again two very different approaches from sony/nintendo

i dont think it's the same as the phone though. the phone had no analogues and it had a shitty little touchpad on the front

-viper-

Banned
What the fuck at that analog stick placement. It looks like it'll be practically impossible to play games on this machine.

And exactly what purpose does a rear trackpad serve?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sipowicz said:
it's still riskier. the back touch screen is more of an unknown quantity than 3d, accelerometers etc. once again two very different approaches from sony/nintendo

i dont think it's the same as the phone though. the phone had no analogues and it had a shitty little touchpad on the front
You missed an important part. This design is outdated.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sipowicz said:

The analogs are mapped to the pad on the phone. And yes, the touchpad is smaller but functionally could serve the same purpose. Where it's used in a less abstract 'direct' way here, that could be mapped to front touchscreen functionality on the phone.

Einbroch

Banned
Don't do this to me, Sony.

I'm already locked on the 3DS, don't make me get this too. Please. Just make a bad handheld.

My wallet pleads with you!

Shalashaska said:
At this point after thinking 2 screens on a handheld was stupid, as was the idea of the Wii, I'm willing to give it a shot. It all depends on how it is utilized however, and Nintendo tends to be the master of that.
2 screens on a handheld is weird and different, but clearly offer something new. Motion controls are weird and different, but clearly offer something new.

Rear touch panel is weird and different but also offers nothing to advantage it over an actual touchscreen.
Father_Brain said:
Agreed. Using it instead of a conventional touchscreen makes no sense unless Sony has gone the autostereoscopic route after all, which is unlikely considering every comment Sony execs have made about 3DS.
I really hope this isn't it. I'd rather the PSP2 and 3DS differentiate themselves well so they can both have cool applications of their own technology that the other wouldn't be capable of. To me, this means multitouchscreen vs. 3D.

StuBurns

Banned
Kenak said:
It looks nicer than the original PSP. The only flaw with it is the stupid Start/Select placement. How you can say it looks like ass is beyond me =\
Maybe I'm just disappointed. It's like they learned absolutely nothing from the PSP and Go.

iceatcs

I hoping it will be that position of two analog sticks placement. I really hate PSP one, too way low and tried-hurt my thumb quite easy.

Serenade said:
for sure. they'll probably be the cheap ones used in the Go! camera

we're talking about next gen here. one will probably be the same low res used in psp and ds, the other one, if the screen is touted as HD will probably be able to record at 720p.

sorry if i touched your beloved nintendo product ;)

Elios83

badcrumble said:
Rear touch panel is weird and different but also offers nothing to advantage it over an actual touchscreen.

I can think of a few ones right off the bat:

1)You don't cover the screen with your finger
2)You can still hold the unit firmly with two hands while using the touch function
3)You get extra functions like mouse/analog controls

Sipowicz

Banned
gofreak said:
The analogs are mapped to the pad on the phone. And yes, the touchpad is smaller but functionally could serve the same purpose. Where it's used in a less abstract 'direct' way here, that could be mapped to front touchscreen functionality on the phone.

i doubt it. i dont see how a little touch pad could be substituted for two analogues. a front touch screen would also be useless unless you closed the phone, at which point you'd lose access to the analogues/buttons. an issue the psp 2 doesn't have

there's too much of a disparity between the phone/psp2. it'd also creare issues in multiplayer games

Awesome looks like it is everything I was expecting it to be. Now just get rid of that god awful D-pad and replace it with the traditional Playstation D-pad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
badcrumble said:

There are certainly advantages. Disadvantages too.

Curious how trackpad would work for first person looking. Left thumb on left analog, right index on trackpad.
DevilWillcry said:
Awesome looks like it is everything I was expecting it to be. Now just get rid of that god awful D-pad and replace it with the traditional Playstation D-pad.
Maybe it will be like the GBA SP D-pad. Would definitely be better than the classic playstation D-pad for 2D movement.

Barrett2

-viper- said:
What the fuck at that analog stick placement. It looks like it'll be practically impossible to play games on this machine.

And exactly what purpose does a rear trackpad serve?

This isn't what the final product will look like, its just (allegedly) the dev kit. Final product will be tighter design.

badcrumble said:
2 screens on a handheld is weird and different, but clearly offer something new. Motion controls are weird and different, but clearly offer something new.

I really hope this isn't it. I'd rather the PSP2 and 3DS differentiate themselves well so they can both have cool applications of their own technology that the other wouldn't be capable of. To me, this means multitouchscreen vs. 3D.

Two screens are still weird and different, and frankly, stupid. There still hasn't been much practical applications for two screens and the entire appeal of the DS is the touch screen, and it could have been better with one larger touch screen.

Similarly, this rear touchpad is weird, different, and stupid. Who knows if people will latch onto the idea like they did the dual screens. Only thing I'll say for sure is that having a rear touch screen and no touch screen proper, that would be a questionable choice.

Left analogue and d-pad switched around compared to their usual dual analogue set-up - if this is real I wonder if they'll carry that through to the PS4?

Not sure about the back touch panel, I haven't used one before but it seems a bit odd - I'd definitely like to see how it'll be used in games.

Kuran

Banned
I said HOLY SHIT out loud. Thank god we can finally see it!

I've been playing Peace Walker non-stop the last week.... I fucking love my PSP when developers get it. I am so excited.

Mihku

Moving the analog sticks to the outside probably makes it way easier to use the trackpad on the back. Especially for kids or people with small hands.

Ponn

Banned
This is why I started building a pretty good PSN library of games. I'm positive this will be DD only and UMD games will be forfeit so at least my DD games better be backwards compatible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sipowicz said:
i doubt it. i dont see how a little touch pad could be substituted for two analogues.

Whether you like what you see or not, that's clearly what's intentioned in the SE phone design we've seen. The touchpad is rounded at the sides and has two little 'dots' - fairly clearly intended as centres of gravity for mapped analog control IMO

Sipowicz said:
a front touch screen would also be useless unless you closed the phone

I'm not sure why that need be the case.

We can certainly argue over which configuration is more comfortable or 'better', but I can totally understand why SE would make the type of design it made if it wanted to 'condense' the PSP2 interface into a form factor that would be less conspicuous, which would be required of a phone. The phone design we've seen is a fairly efficient, alternate representation of these same controls.

Top Bottom