• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Saints Row: The Third Review

bathala

Banned
when you see a reviewer throw down an 8/10, or a 4/5, you get the distinct feeling they're trying to make a statement. Like they're special, or different, and they see things in a more critical light. They're fully aware this game offers a polished package that almost no other game this year will deliver, and yet they're going to make sure it's not getting the highest score possible
There are always some "renegades" out there in the review pool.
When a game comes this close to perfection you have to come up with silly reasons to criticize it.

fuck that site. :p

K.Sabot

mjc said:
The primary issue was that it was buggy as all get out. At least I remember that being an issue.
Honestly, the bugs enhanced the experience. It increased the "Shit just fucking happened" ratio.

The other Saint
s Row games felt like they were trying too hard as a response to GTA. The third kind of seems like that as well but this tiem there's just too much crazy shit to pass up.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Sn4ke_911 said:
You people really need to learn to read the quotes instead of looking at the score and going ape shit over nothing.

''It has its issues, it has its drawbacks, but Saints Row: The Third is an utterly wanton, totally ridiculous bag of laughs. It's difficult to dislike anyway, and even harder to dislike with such an enjoyable, escalatory campaign. Great stuff.''

If that doesn't sound awesome then i don't know.

Most of the comments are sarcastically aimed at the Uncharted 3 8/10 debacle, not hating on SR3. :p

Grisby

jim-jam bongs said:
This will be my first Saints Row game, considering San Andreas is still in my top 5 I think I'm going to lerv this.
I think I'm gonna try making your avatar in the game. Didn't her name start with an S or something? I remember it being a short single syllable name.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
jim-jam bongs said:
Mostly the port having 99 problems. I actually own it on Steam, got it in the THQ pack, but I've never installed it because the port is meant to be so awful.

It really isnt that bad at all. I had just as many problems on the pc version as I did on the 360 version, that is not many at all. Its definitely worth trying out if you own it, especially to get into the SR spirit during the 3 wait before SR3 arrives.

Shahadan

Interfectum said:
Why did you skip SR2?

Personally, the cover screaming "GANGSTA" put me off immediately. I only discovered last year my mistake, but still didn't play it, being bored of sandbox games.

I think the art design and cover are much more appealing this time but that's just me.

Grisby said:
I think I'm gonna try making your avatar in the game. Didn't her name start with an S or something? I remember it being a short single syllable name.

http://alphaprotocol.wikia.com/wiki/Sis

I tried to recreate her in New Vegas recently actually, didn't go so well.

Enduin said:
It really isnt that bad at all. I had just as many problems on the pc version as I did on the 360 version, that is not many at all. Its definitely worth trying out if you own it, especially to get into the SR spirit during the 3 wait before SR3 arrives.

Hmm well I'm at the start of my bandwidth for the month right now and it's probably on the unmetered servers anyway... alright, I'll give it a blast before this comes out!

burgervan

Shahadan said:
What were the main problems with Saints Row 2, btw? Never played it.

It was hideously ugly. Some of the worst art direction I've ever seen. Every character looked like they stepped out of an Nsync video. It was decently fun though.

kokujin

Banned
The only problem I had with SR2 was the city, I just didn't like it.Still played the crap out of the game though.

Kikarian

Shahadan said:
Personally, the cover screaming "GANGSTA" put me off immediately. I only discovered last year my mistake, but still didn't play it, being bored of sandbox games.

I think the art design and cover are much more appealing this time but that's just me.
I noticed this. They have put more effort into the graphic design side of things.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
pje122 said:
Why are there two of the same girl on the cover...?
pje122 said:
More like clones... they're dressing the exact same way too!
Come on man, you gotta try harder.
scitek said:
I'm not going to say, "so it's 8 points better than Uncharted 3," but someone fucking will.
Only if they are bad at maths.
88/100 is only 0.8 points higher than 80/100
Deadly Cyclone said:
Also Australian mag "Hyper" gave it a 9/10.

Do you know which version they reviewed?
Im hoping the PC version got a decent port job, i wish more reviewers would do PC and Console reviews.

P.S 88 is a damn fine score, if the fun factor is as high as i think its going to be this game could have scored 50 and id still buy it....if a game is sufficiently fun, im more than willing to overlook any flaws it may have.

Which is why GTA4 is garbage.....it just wasnt fun, so everything that was annoying stood out even more and haterade just poured out of me.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
jim-jam bongs said:
Hmm well I'm at the start of my bandwidth for the month right now and it's probably on the unmetered servers anyway... alright, I'll give it a blast before this comes out!

Check out The Gentlemen of Saints Row mod, that really tweaks the game and adds some cool features like adding 360 button prompts if you use that controller on PC.

Also if you do have any issues this FAQ should solve all your problems.

Derrick01

Banned
Shahadan said:
What were the main problems with Saints Row 2, btw? Never played it.

The PC port was one of the worst ever.

As for the actual game? I thought the missions were extremely boring and tedious. They were mostly go here and kill shit, kinda like GTA 4. The only thing that will stop this game from being like San Andreas is having more of those types of missions and not crazy ones.

pje122

Black_Stride said:
Come on man, you gotta try harder.
In all honesty I've never played a SR game. Would I already have known about this if I had, or do all of you just know about this from preview coverage of SR3? I seriously thought it was mistake that they had the same girl on the cover twice...

jim-jam bongs said:
Mostly the port having 99 problems. I actually own it on Steam, got it in the THQ pack, but I've never installed it because the port is meant to be so awful.

It's not too bad at all really. The only thing I actually found annoying was navigating the menu without a mouse. The game itself is a blast though, especially playing the campaign in coop mode with a friend.

Marleyman

Banned
Derrick01 said:
As for the actual game? I thought the missions were extremely boring and tedious. They were mostly go here and kill shit, kinda like GTA 4. The only thing that will stop this game from being like San Andreas is having more of those types of missions and not crazy ones.

The concept of killing different ethnic types of gangs grew old halfway through Saints Row 2. Now they are rehashing the latin gang type from the 1st one by making them wear wrestling masks.

Twinduct

The Dutch Slayer said:
Could someone explain/describe the issues? I do not care about the scores at all just want to know what "reviews" found as issues.

-Oscar writing story. Beaten
-Game doesn't take itself serious enough.
-Too gamey.
-Not (insert title of holiday game) 3.
-Game takes itself too serious.

+You can do a pimp walk with a cane

MMaRsu

Banned
zoner said:
Shh. We're not allowed to joke around anymore.

Uh.. The second one is the black guy voice.
So no deep black voice just a whiney bitch. You wanna make a tough looking dude but the voices are shit.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Covers:

Play_211_BAG-small.jpg

Play_211-SMALL.jpg

THE MOST SHOCKING GAME EVER MADE?

the hell does that mean?

already paid for it. i'm assuming the flaws the reviewer found were technical stuff, and if it was on consoles then PC version should be no problem :D

bigboss370 said:
already paid for it. i'm assuming the flaws the reviewer found were technical stuff, and if it was on consoles then PC version should be no problem :D
but I'm getting the 360 version :( (I know, I have a gaming pc also but I wanted to play co-op and the friend that I'm playing the game with only has a 360).

Just interested it what the "negative" parts are.

If the vehicle handling is better than SR2 and it is a little better technically then I will buy, I'm already impressed by the character creator.

Purple is the color of royalty~

I didn't expect any reviews over 8 anyway, so this is nice for Volition. I'm glad to hear that it seems to be what I expected it to be, which is amazingly enough also what I wanted it to be. At least there will be plenty to play until this comes out to make the time fly.

Top Bottom