• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Saints Row: The Third Review

Amagon

RDBLb.gif

Game of the forever! GAME OF THE FOREVER!!!!!

Twinduct

You know .... I pre-ordered this on Steam. I've re-assured that the SR3 PC version is done in house and thus it'll be better than the SR2 port.

But fuck me, why can't they release some footage of it? I really wish the pop-in ain't that bad on PC (God some of those vids made me kinda gag).

It's honestly my biggest tech peev. 25-30fps? I can deal with it. Tearing? I can live with it. draw distance pop-in? Fucking kill me now :<

Bazhard

Banned
Punching dicks and beating people with giant dildos? game of the forever.

Ricky_R said:
Never played a SR's game. Might as well start with this one which is apparently the best?
SR2 wasn't that bad, it was fun especially if you had a friend to do COOP with.

SR1 don't even waste your time, game had way too many problems.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Twinduct said:
You know .... I pre-ordered this on Steam. I've re-assured that the SR3 PC version is done in house and thus it'll be better than the SR2 port.

But fuck me, why can't they release some footage of it? I really wish the pop-in ain't that bad on PC (God some of those vids made me kinda gag).

It's honestly my biggest tech peev. 25-30fps? I can deal with it. Tearing? I can live with it. draw distance pop-in? Fucking kill me now :<
They have. They just don't label it as PC footage.

ctrayne

SapientWolf said:
They have. They just don't label it as PC footage.
I've seen a non-Volition video posted around that is of the PC version. Not sure what the graphics settings were at, but the pop-in was noticeably better.

Carm

jim-jam bongs said:
Mostly the port having 99 problems. I actually own it on Steam, got it in the THQ pack, but I've never installed it because the port is meant to be so awful.

Same reason I never bothered with it, until yesterday morning anyway. After getting the SR3 character creator downloaded I started itching to play it. If you use the powertools in the Steam game forum, it fixes the biggest issue, the game running to fast on Win7. I spent roughly 7 hours playing non stop just screwing around.

So try the powertools+stopwatch test link on the forums there if you want to play it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
pje122 said:
In all honesty I've never played a SR game. Would I already have known about this if I had, or do all of you just know about this from preview coverage of SR3? I seriously thought it was mistake that they had the same girl on the cover twice...

They werent in any of the previous saints games.
And i figured they were twins because i have a brain.

These reviews are telling me what I already knew. No way a AAA calibur dev like Volition was going to make a game scoring less than a 9. I don't even need to play it, to know it was going to be a 9.

Corto

Black_Stride said:
They werent in any of the previous saints games.
And i figured they were twins because i have a brain.

No need to be so confrontational! Deal with it like real men. The two of you just grab two giant purple dildos and go at it!

Corto said:
So 88% for a multiplatform sandbox game that's not from Rockstar and it's published by THQ? Pre-ordered.
This was basically going to be my response but you beat me to it. Perfectly said... no Rockstar on the box and a score this high? Yeah, that's a buy.

Aguirre said:
wow borderlands all over again. hype driven game lacking actual content.

yep, 60bucks saved.
lol I can't tell if this one was another joke or if he's being serious?

firen

It's funny how 8.8 Saints Row is considered pre-order worthy, yet a 8.0 Uncharted 3 is considered a "failure/controversial/pre-order cancelworthy" game! Oh well, Saints Row The Third should keep me busy until....GTA V.

Qatar

No matter how the reviews are, Saints Row is a must buy for me. I am willing to ditch all other games including Uncharted, Skyrim and other games just to play Saints Row 3 in coop.

cacildo

Aguirre said:
wow borderlands all over again. hype driven game lacking actual content.

yep, 60bucks saved.

I hate borderlands. I cant say its the worse game i ever bought because i have a copy of Condemned 2

Fjordson

zoner said:
The world has no time for the so-called '88%'ers.
My concern isn't even the reviews, it's the release date. I feel like it's going to get snowed in under Skyrim, Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed, Halo, etc. Obviously could be dead wrong, but we'll see.

Fjordson said:
My concern isn't even the reviews, it's the release date. I feel like it's going to get snowed in under Skyrim, Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed, Halo, etc. Obviously could be dead wrong, but we'll see.
Saints Row 2 was a big hit. I think this game will find its audience just fine.

Kaizer

Banned
This will be my first Saints game as well, didn't have anytime to play the last two, but this one looks amazing from all the trailers. I've been having a crazy time with the character creator.

TxdoHawk

I expect lots of hemming and hawing about glitches from reviewers. Me personally, I take glitches as an inevitability for open world games...and sometimes they are hilarious. I remember playing Red Dead Redemption, attempting to take cover behind a rock...my character somehow bounced off the rock, straight up into the air, so high it reset the gang hideout I was trying to clear...then eventually I fell back to Earth and died, with almost no hideout enemies left. I wasn't even mad, though, that was hee-larious.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TxdoHawk said:
I expect lots of hemming and hawing about glitches from reviewers. Me personally, I take glitches as an inevitability for open world games...and sometimes they are hilarious. I remember playing Red Dead Redemption, attempting to take cover behind a rock...my character somehow bounced off the rock, straight up into the air, so high it reset the gang hideout I was trying to clear...then eventually I fell back to Earth and died, with almost no hideout enemies left. I wasn't even mad, though, that was hee-larious.
People riding invisible horses was awesome!

Wish there was some content in this review.

Probably would have made this thread (and most likely all future review-related threads) not quite as unbearable.

whew was worried it'd get an 8/10.

I don't really care about reviews for this game though. Don't recall SR2 getting outstanding reviews but that didn't stop it from being awesome.

Top Bottom