• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Saints Row: The Third Review

TimeKillr

Speedymanic said:
FUCK!

Septic Avenger, Demo Club and Crowd Control were some of the best activities. :(

What the hell, THQ? :(

Yeah, Septic Avenger was all sorts of fun! Too bad it isn't in, but otherwise it's just fucking awesome anyway.

obonicus

Deadly Cyclone said:
The Bombcast is gushing over SR:TT on yesterday's episode. Getting me even more amped to hear Jeff (who hated 2) is loving 3.

One of the major bones people had to pick with SR2 was the respect system. Even Yahtzee, who gave it his GOTY chose that as a low point. And thankfully they listened and changed the system.

I'm sort of morbidly curious as to what Edge will say. Their review of SR2 focused almost entirely on how they didn't like the story, and they gave it a 4 or a 5.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
obonicus said:
One of the major bones people had to pick with SR2 was the respect system. Even Yahtzee, who gave it his GOTY chose that as a low point. And thankfully they listened and changed the system.

In SR1 I give them that since it force you to do activities before doing/unlocking the next story mission, but in SR2 it was cool since you get respect by doing any shit in the streets.

MjFrancis

Deadly Cyclone said:
M is still working on the OT according to his note yesterday. I just hope it is as bat shit crazy as the game. :p
We need the OT! Saint's Row: The Third completely superseded my planned acquisition of Assassin's Creed: Revelations a few weeks ago. I'm still getting both games, but essentially I'll be putting AC on the backburner until I've got a good fix of sandbox madness.

I'm surprised I haven't bought the Saint's Row double pack in the meantime, really.

Concept17

Ploid 3.0 said:
This guy has a lot of new SR3 videos up. Probably get taken down now that I mentioned it here but I'm downloading so I can watch later. Sorry guy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKQgaming

A lot of great stuff here. Nice to see videos of people just playing it randomly like I'm sure most of us do. Also can really tell just how much better the game looks and runs than SR2.

falconzss said:
Saints Row wasn't even on my radar until i watched this video. Now i am probably going to preorder it.

Same. I was pretty disappointed with SR2 (so many game breaking bugs for me and terrible pc port) but that video was awesome.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
MjFrancis said:
We need the OT! Saint's Row: The Third completely superseded my planned acquisition of Assassin's Creed: Revelations a few weeks ago. I'm still getting both games, but essentially I'll be putting AC on the backburner until I've got a good fix of sandbox madness.

I'm surprised I haven't bought the Saint's Row double pack in the meantime, really.

MMaRsu is not ready yet.
he is playing Skyrim

WoodenLung said:
Same. I was pretty disappointed with SR2 (so many game breaking bugs for me and terrible pc port) but that video was awesome.

still SR2 is million years better than SR1..shame you got the bad PC port.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Saints Row The Third |OT| Lube it up,Strap it On, Its BOHICA Time!

Saints Row The Third |OT| Pimps , Gimps and Genki! ...OH MY!

TxdoHawk

I wish we had any idea when THQ Store orders will ship...I have posed this question to several THQ and Saints Row social media accounts, and haven't even gotten a "sorry, we have no idea!"

Ken

Co-op campaign in this is really playing through the campaign and open world with two players and not just side-missions, right? Also, is there split-screen?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ken said:
Co-op campaign in this is really playing through the campaign and open world with two players and not just side-missions, right? Also, is there split-screen?

Yes and no.

Yes, you can play the entire campaign in co-op, all missions, everything.

No, there is not local split screen. Only Xbox Live and system link co-op.

Struct09

Listening to Jeff Gerstmann gush over the game got me slightly hyped. Like him, I did not like SR2. If there weren't so many other games coming out I might have picked this one up right away, but I'll have to check it out after I finish my current truck-load of games.

Struct09 said:
Listening to Jeff Gerstmann gush over the game got me slightly hyped. Like him, I did not like SR2. If there weren't so many other games coming out I might have picked this one up right away, but I'll have to check it out after I finish my current truck-load of games first.

Yeah I'm in the same boat as well...I absolutely hated SR2 because of how wonky the shooting and driving were but reading these reviews/impressions, watching gameplay footage and hearing about how a lot of the underlying mechanics were rewritten from the ground up as well as attention given to the PC port has convinced me to preorder the game. Hopefully the game is miles better than SR2...

Plissken

With no OT yet, this seems to be the best place to ask: Amazon has a $40 PC download of the game, is that going to work with Steam? Like, will I just get a key that I input into Steam and download it through Steam? Or do I download it from Amazon directly? I'd rather have the Steam Cloud and Steamworks integration, so if saving $10 means I lose that, I'll just buy it on Steam. But if the Amazon download is just a key I can give Steam, that'd be excellent.

Plissken said:
With no OT yet, this seems to be the best place to ask: Amazon has a $40 PC download of the game, is that going to work with Steam? Like, will I just get a key that I input into Steam and download it through Steam? Or do I download it from Amazon directly? I'd rather have the Steam Cloud and Steamworks integration, so if saving $10 means I lose that, I'll just buy it on Steam. But if the Amazon download is just a key I can give Steam, that'd be excellent.

I believe every version is steamworks..

Yup on the Amazon page itself it states..

Requires Steam account for installation and activation.

Salacious Crumb

Plissken said:

Yeah, all they'll give you is a key to activate on steam. Buy away sir!

TxdoHawk said:
I wish we had any idea when THQ Store orders will ship...I have posed this question to several THQ and Saints Row social media accounts, and haven't even gotten a "sorry, we have no idea!"
Damn I thought they already said on twitter it was release day delivery? I think someone (nueromancer?) told me that in another thread.

OneLetter

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Damn I thought they already said on twitter it was release day delivery? I think someone (nueromancer?) told me that in another thread.
This is what has been on the THQ offer page (at the bottom) since day 1: "Products will be delivered on or near release date. Delivery on release date is not guaranteed."

I've talked to THQ a lot about this, since it's been a big question, and for US customers, orders started shipping out already. This is why they told everyone earlier in the week to order by EoD on the 7th. Hopefully, your game will be there on release day, but they have always said release date deliver was not guaranteed. For Canadians, you never know how long customs can be, so it's a toss up. That's something nobody can control.

OneLetter said:
This is what has been on the THQ offer page (at the bottom) since day 1: "Products will be delivered on or near release date. Delivery on release date is not guaranteed."

I've talked to THQ a lot about this, since it's been a big question, and for US customers, orders started shipping out already. This is why they told everyone earlier in the week to order by EoD on the 7th. Hopefully, your game will be there on release day, but they have always said release date deliver was not guaranteed. For Canadians, you never know how long customs can be, so it's a toss up. That's something nobody can control.

Thanks for quick update!

I'm hoping you can answer this question instead of me having to call THQ's CS..I placed my order on the THQ store through paypal and its payment was confirmed day of, but I got a cancellation email saying I didn't pay. Although the email does say "We have not yet received payment during the past 3 days and your order has been canceled. If you have already sent payment, please disregard this notice as your order will be processed when your payment is received", I want to make sure i don't miss out on the preorder deal.

Has anyone else got this?

for the OT:

sr3image7x.jpg

265606_202211046496744_158667724184410_560124_1500131_o.jpg

whatyoudointhestreetsp1.gif

353b575.gif

OneLetter

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Thanks for quick update!

I'm hoping you can answer this question instead of me having to call THQ's CS..I placed my order on the THQ store through paypal and its payment was confirmed day of, but I got a cancellation email saying I didn't pay. Although the email does say "We have not yet received payment during the past 3 days and your order has been canceled. If you have already sent payment, please disregard this notice as your order will be processed when your payment is received", I want to make sure i don't miss out on the preorder deal.

Has anyone else got this?

I have zero control over any of that, so you'll need to talk to THQ CS. I'd help if I could, but there's nothing I can do to help except direct you to their contact info, which I assume you already have since you placed an order.

TxdoHawk

OneLetter said:

Excellent. Thank you for the info. I sincerely appreciate it.

Gonna be eager to hear about PS3 vs 360 comparisons. I'm more forgiving about console limitations in general as long as I can get the better console version :p

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Perfect. Thats not seizure inducing enough though ;)

it'll do :p

what's taking MMRasu so long? is he attempting a huge OT or something? no offense but i could have one up in no time.

Top Bottom