• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Crushed

Fry Daddy
FallenAngelV said:
SUL2.jpg
This shot REALLY reminds me of SatSR

bigmakstudios said:
Uh... it looks pretty similar to the awful flop that was released in 2006.
Thinking the same thing. Wont fully judge until we see some gameplay video. It is nice to see Sonic not looking so tall and Robotnik no longer all realistic.

I'd like to think this wont be filled with tons of Sonic friends judging by these screens lack of them but the first Sonic06 trailer just had Sonic and then look how that ended up.

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
It could be Dreamcast for all we know! It wouldn't be the first time they revealed a game with still frames from the CG cutscenes!

the CG cutscenes in this game have a HUD?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
farnham said:
uh.. the sonic next gen thinggy was high def and it was horrible.. and i think its main complaints weren't the frame rate

just saying
What the hell? He's trying to tell you that a Secret Rings is possible on the PS3 with HD graphics and 60fps.

kswiston

The archetecture in those first few shots reminds me of some of the archetecture I saw in Cuzco, Peru (with less mountains interspersed of course).

Wark

It looks kinda like Blue Dragon.

It doesn't look bad other than the ridiculous looking creature in the 7th picture.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
farnham said:
uh.. the sonic next gen thinggy was high def and it was horrible.. and i think its main complaints weren't the frame rate

just saying
Err, it has nothing to do with Sonic 06.

My point was, Secret Rings was a good game...but I would have enjoyed it more on a more powerful machine simply due to improved visuals. That's it.

If this is a Secret Rings-like game on PS3, I would be perfectly happy, as it would deliver just that.

You seem to be implying that Sonic 06 was a bad game simply because it was "HD", but that's a bunch of shit. It was a bad game as a result of the poor decisions made during its development and an incapable team. Secret Rings was handled by a different group altogether.

ethelred

Yeah, that's a Sonic game all right.

dark10x said:
My point was, X was a good game...but I would have enjoyed it more on a more powerful machine simply due to improved visuals. That's it.

Yes. We know. We all get it. Thank you.

At least this game should have some totally sweet CG movies...like every other 3D Sonic title.

Unfortunately it looks to be a Secret Rings sequel. pass.

Snaku

Banned
Looks really good, at least on par with Blue Dragon. Now if they can nail the level design, the gameplay, the music, and iron out all bugs it might be worth while.

For now, I'll focus my Sonic hype on Sonic Chronicles.

Scribble

Crushed said:
This shot REALLY reminds me of SatSR

Same. I couldn't imagine level design like that being used in a non SatSR game. If the game is a straight platformer, then be a bit worried.

The actual stage looks beautiful. If you can jump on rooftops, I'll be happy.

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ami, it's SEGA

down is up

up is down

NiGHTS 2 is a good business idea

adding in Sonic just makes it like non-dairy creamer in a microwave

i'm thinking that instead of this explanation you just didn't notice the HUD. There is clear difference in these images between what is CG, and what is "game-play" with the HUD. It may be touched up still, but it's definitely 360/PS3 Sonic. Maybe multiplatform though and we'll see images from the other version later?

dark10x

ethelred said:
Yes. We know. We all get it. Thank you.
The poster questioning me clearly did not, however, hence my clarification.

I'd buy this. Where's the source of these pics?
Too professional to be fake, if you ask me. The fact that there are both in-game and CG shots present also suggest that these are real (if they went to all that trouble to fake something, would they really bother creating two entirely different set of assets to do it?).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
WHAT THE FUCK

it actually looks good/interesting.

oh god this isnt good, my inner sonic youth fanboy is awakening.

only without the fucking sick fantasies about eating puke and shit.

Scribble said:
Same. I couldn't imagine level design like that being used in a non SatSR game. If the game is a straight platformer, then be a bit worried.

well, with the Sixaxis they can bring SatSR2 for PS3.

Haunted

Those bullshots would put Codemasters to shame. Sega really upped the ante with these. Sega just raised the bar in digital bullshottery.

kudos

art and design don't look half bad in some of these screens, but scrolling down you get that fucking Super Sayan Sonic and that freaky eye picture... bah.

sky said:
:lol :lol

Btw, where's the source? Official press release or something?

Why put boxes where Sonic is meant to run? I just don't get it.

I'm not having more fun dodging boxes that slow me down. The jump button better not slow you down like in that awful Wii game.

Also GAF you need to learn the difference between cut scene and gameplay, those gameplay shots look legit and the cut scenes are no doubt FMV.

ethelred

dark10x said:

The poster in question was too dumb not to take your "Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 Not a Wii game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111" bait.

Anyway, I agree with Ami. My kingdom for a 2.5D Sonic...

Amir0x said:
i'm thinking that instead of this explanation you just didn't notice the HUD. There is clear difference in these images between what is CG, and what is "game-play" with the HUD. It may be touched up still, but it's definitely 360/PS3 Sonic. Maybe multiplatform though and we'll see images from the other version later?
Someone pointed out the HUD before I even posted, Ami. I have attempted the funny, and failed miserably.

But looking at the shots, in all seriousness, this appears to be a SatSR style game for the bigboy systems. Sixaxis would work well for this, 360 pad not so much. I'll be interested to see what manner of beast it turns out to be.

JonathanEx said:
Then how comes Sonic is alive in the screenshot with no ring energy in the bar?

CSI GAF.
Same way that you can be alive with no rings in the original sonic games. 1 more hit = dead.

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Someone pointed out the HUD before I even posted, Ami. I have attempted the funny, and failed miserably.

you had your poker face on!

dark10x said:

dont worry you're free to continue commenting on what you find important in games, don't feel discouraged. Everyone knows what everyone's opinion is, doesn't stop anyone from stating them over and over again.

I don't know how the fuck you liked Secret Rings though. Garbage!

dark10x

ethelred said:
The poster in question was too dumb not to take your "Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 Not a Wii game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111" bait.
It wasn't bait, actually.

I was anticipating another Wii title and am excited that it is not. What's wrong with that?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
They have to look be bullshots, considering the "gameplay" screen (i'm looking at the box-dodge screen) look as crisp and deep as what we've seen from FFXIII screens, and we know with Sega that that level simply isn't possible.

Top Bottom