• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pizza Luigi said:
Those gameplay shots look like bullshots
And? What are you suggesting?

They've released downsampled pics with heavy anti-aliasing, but it's pretty clear that the assets are designed for modern hardware.

They have to look be bullshots, considering the "gameplay" screen (i'm looking at the box-dodge screen) look as crisp and deep as what we've seen from FFXIII screens, and we know with Sega that that level simply isn't possible.
Well, let's consider this...

Sonic 06 was a mess of a game, but there was solid technology in place. The engine supported large, complex environments with fully dynamic shadows while running at 60 fps. If that core graphics engine was evolved and used in a proper game, it would look fantastic. They at least had capable graphics programmers on the last project. They simply need good designers on this one.

farnham

Banned
ethelred said:
The poster in question was too dumb not to take your "Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111 Not a Wii game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111" bait.

Anyway, I agree with Ami. My kingdom for a 2.5D Sonic...
thanks ethel.. appreciate you every time.. seriously

dark10x said:
Err, it has nothing to do with Sonic 06.

My point was, Secret Rings was a good game...but I would have enjoyed it more on a more powerful machine simply due to improved visuals. That's it.

If this is a Secret Rings-like game on PS3, I would be perfectly happy, as it would deliver just that.

You seem to be implying that Sonic 06 was a bad game simply because it was "HD", but that's a bunch of shit. It was a bad game as a result of the poor decisions made during its development and an incapable team. Secret Rings was handled by a different group altogether.

i can see your reasoning

but consider this.

1. sonic 06s bad decisions were mainly because of its platform..

remember the warthog thing.. and the blaster that shadow used.. that was because they thought the 360 users would jump on such violent game play.. remember the princess kissing.. that was because of the final fantasy crowd ..

They hoped they would capture the PS3/ 360 crowd with that bullshit decisions..

and while they made such bad decisions they did not even try to fix fundamental problems of the sonic adventure games..

like the camera..

2. The reason why i find this disappointing is that the Wii audience once again gets the shaft.. yes ethel is always mocking me because of that.. but when i see that sonic adventure 2 battle sold better then the DC version.. when i see sonic heroes selling on GC better then on any other console.. when i see sonic and the secret rings selling better on Wii then sonic 06 did on both platforms combined .. ( I should mention that sonic rush was the best sonic games in ages.. )

i normally would presume that sonic games will be released on the Nintendo platforms.. but no sega has to give them the shaft.. i have a 360 and i have a wii.. but it makes me disappointed.. just because the wii manifests an Idea to me that i really tend to agree with.. its just a shot in the face to see one of the better selling third party titles no longer supporting the platform despite the amazing hardware sales..

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Looks awesome to me.

We'll probably get shitty friends, shitty music and shitty gameplay sooner or later though. Hope not.

Where the fuck are people getting Sonic RPG from?

Anyway unless Sega is seriously going for a Wii/PS3/360 release(my God) this looks like a Wii-only release.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
PantherLotus said:
They have to look be bullshots, considering the "gameplay" screen (i'm looking at the box-dodge screen) look as crisp and deep as what we've seen from FFXIII screens, and we know with Sega that that level simply isn't possible.
This isn't possible in real time?
SUL5.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
It wasn't bait, actually.

I was anticipating another Wii title and am excited that it is not. What's wrong with that?

why are you responding to this? Everyone has their predictable subject. Yours is visuals, ethelred's is RPGs. Somehow now that Wii and DS is lead, people are supposed to stop commenting about the inarguable importance of visuals in games and be excited when it lands on a platform that supports this? IGNORE THEM. You posted it in a thread where it was appropriate, you didn't go into a Wii thread and say "I wish this was on Wii."

Re: 2.5D Sonic...

Speaking of 2.5D things, slightly off topic, but has NAMCO killed the Klonoa franchise completely? It was sort of crustily surviving on the GBA for a moment there and had a really shitty RPG, but...

Scribble

oazoxz.png

Please, please, do this Sonic Team. It would be one step closer to Sonic 2/3 stage design. That roof and bridge looks like it was made to be run on. Please don't do that 'run in a straight line' crap!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jj984jj said:
This isn't possible in real time?
SUL5.jpg

i didn't say it wasn't possible. i said that SEGA is incapable of making a game that looks as good as FFXIII, specifically the box-dodge shot. Now, if it is real....
holy fucking shit

Am I wary? Of course.

Am I excited? Hell yes.

I'm going to continue to hope that there's a next-gen Sonic revival that brings the character back to form. If you just assume that there is no chance this could be any good, then why even still follow Sonic?

On occasion, games that are supposed to suck are actually good, and games that are supposed to be good suck. It's just the life of being a gamer. I'm going to hold out hope until I actually play it myself. And, if it turns out like Secret Rings in HD, then things could be worse.

For those curious, here's the intro paragraph from Sonic Stadium:

sonicstadium.og said:
Images found on SEGA FTP could be Sonic Unleashed.
Some screenshots have been uncovered from a SEGA FTP that appear to be the first images of new title 'Sonic Unleashed'.

Alsha ClanClan Prower of the EspioKaos Message Board discovered the following images whilst browsing one of SEGA's press asset portals. They indicate a CG introduction involving Super Sonic being defeated by Eggman, and various locales based on cities in Greece.

Amir0x said:
why are you responding to this? Everyone has their predictable subject. Yours is visuals, ethelred's is RPGs. Somehow now that Wii and DS is lead, people are supposed to stop commenting about the inarguable importance of visuals in games and be excited when it lands on a platform that supports this? IGNORE THEM.

Speaking of 2.5D things, slightly off topic, but has NAMCO killed the Klonoa franchise completely? It was sort of crustily surviving on the GBA for a moment there and had a really shitty RPG, but...
God I miss Klonoa. Klonoa 2 was such a fucking great early PS2 treat.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Amir0x said:
why are you responding to this? Everyone has their predictable subject. Yours is visuals, ethelred's is RPGs. Somehow now that Wii and DS is lead, people are supposed to stop commenting about the inarguable importance of visuals in games? IGNORE THEM.

Yes, Klonoa is dead and I am sad. :( Loved that series. The GBA games were nowhere near as good as the PSX and PS2 titles, if you ask me, and we haven't seen an original console installment since 2001. It's dead.

I really wanted THIS game (Sonic) to be a side scroller, to be honest, but this still looks promising.

Regarding your first point, well, it is annoying that my excitement was taken to be a troll when that wasn't the intention at all.

Please, please, do this Sonic Team. It would be one step closer to Sonic 2/3 stage design. That roof and bridge looks like it was made to be run on. Please don't do that 'run in a straight line' crap!
It's possible that you DO run over that bridge, though (possibly through both areas). It DOES look to be designed for running rather than as scenery.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PantherLotus said:
i didn't say it wasn't possible. i said that SEGA is incapable of making a game that looks as good as FFXIII, specifically the box-dodge shot. Now, if it is real....
holy fucking shit

No, I think it is possible.

The question is whether they can make the game good.

if then
holy shit

It should also be noted that if this was for the PS3/360 Sonic Team would at least put out some textures that didn't look entirely laughable.

Speaking of laughable, that speed meter is a joke. C'mon Sonic Team what the fuck are you thinking?

Teknoman

I took the bait. I feel this game could be pretty good. Seeing a speed meter, it could be like Secret Rings...or just have certain parts similar to it. The graphics do look really nice. C'mon Sonic you can do it...

Wizpig said:
I still don't get why people think this is REAL.
Did SEGA say something about this? Nope.
This is fake, imo.

Then its the best looking fake game ever. Besides didnt NiGHTS 2 get revealed first through a fansite source? Sonic Stadium isnt one to have fakeness.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hcoregamer00 said:
No, I think it is possible.

The question is whether they can make the game good.

if then
holy shit

I think my eyes have been unjustly raped by my fucking wii. next-gen games don't even look real to me anymore. like, "that's not possible."

Wizpig said:
I still don't get why people think this is REAL.
Did SEGA say something about this? Nope.
This is fake, imo.
No-one is in Sega's offices yesterday/today to say anything about it though. The supposed source, accidentally left on a press FTP/site, is highly plausible.

segasonic

Dear Sonic Team,

Get rid of stupid bottomless pits
Don't make the controls all twitchy
Optimize the frickin load times
Hire someone from the SotC team to design boss battles
don't use retarded monkeys as game designers

Regards
a former Sonic fanboy

JonathanEx said:
No-one is in Sega's offices yesterday/today to say anything about it though. The supposed source, accidentally left on a press FTP/site, is highly plausible.

Not to mention the alien/monster/demon thing. It just wouldn't be a 3D Sonic game without some sort of creature as the ultimate final boss.

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
Yes, Klonoa is dead and I am sad. :( Loved that series. The GBA games were nowhere near as good as the PSX and PS2 titles, if you ask me, and we haven't seen an original console installment since 2001. It's dead.

I really wanted THIS game (Sonic) to be a side scroller, to be honest, but this still looks promising.

I liked the two Klonoa GBA games ok, but they obviously weren't PS1/PS2 series good. Was just wondering this because I replayed PS2 Klonoa the other day, SO good.

dark10x said:
Regarding your first point, well, it is annoying that my excitement was taken to be a troll when that wasn't the intention at all.

I know. Your excitement manifests itself when it comes to visuals. Why try to hide it? That's not a negative thing. Just keep it to the appropriate threads, so don't go into Wii threads wishing for every game to be on PS3/360 for example.

I look forward to Sonic Bleu Dragon Tales.

I cannot believe that I even care about Sonic since his track record is abominable lately, but this LOOKS SOO NICE!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I hope its only Sonic. Or Sonic and Shadow, those 2 were the only ones with similair/fun gameplay. in SA1 and SA2. (The last console sonic games i actually kinda liked)

Please dont make it on rails, dont make it like sonic heroes, let me control sonic and give him oldskool gameplay and +1 sale.

if it has FIND THE CHAOS EMERALDS WITH KNUCKLES MISSIONS I WILL CHOKE A BITCH.

ps. I support amirox's opinion, 2.5D with sonic2 (best sonic ever made) type gameplay and +million sales.

Snaku

Banned
dark10x said:
Well, let's consider this...

Sonic 06 was a mess of a game, but there was solid technology in place. The engine supported large, complex environments with fully dynamic shadows while running at 60 fps. If that core graphics engine was evolved and used in a proper game, it would look fantastic. They at least had capable graphics programmers on the last project. They simply need good designers on this one.

And SNG only had 12 months of development time before Sega rushed it out. This has been in the works since SNG's release, so they've put at least 1 1/2 to 2 years of work into it. At the very least the bugs and horrid load time should be ironed out by now.

ethelred

A Link to the Snitch said:
I'm pretty sure the guy who made those fake Wario's Woods screenshots made this, hoax etc.

Nah. Other systems actually get new games announced from time to time -- there's no need to fake it. Jump in.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
krypt0nian said:
I look forward to Sonic Bleu Dragon Tales.

I cannot believe that I even care about Sonic since his track record is abominable lately, but this LOOKS SOO NICE!

Sonic is like amy winehouse or something. Has great potential and shows glimpses of what he would be if he weren't a cracked out ho, but in general he just mopes around and runs into the streets bleeding and without any pants on.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Nah. Other systems actually get new games announced from time to time -- there's no need to fake it. Jump in.

:lol :lol :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
PantherLotus said:
I think my eyes have been unjustly raped by my fucking wii. next-gen games don't even look real to me anymore. like, "that's not possible."

Probably, It goes both ways since I played smash bros. brawl for the first time yesterday and I was shocked at how beautiful it was for a wii game.

For the record, I am a PS3 owner who will buy a 360 and Wii somewhere down the line.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
you know how to know they're fake? because the site that would've had the scoop would've plastered their silly fucking logo all over it. unless it was blakguy, and he definitely hasn't posted them.

these are fake, kids.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Also, this could be real, the other thread i made was that Sega licensed a new sonic name, that name was Sonic Unleashed.

Top Bottom