• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

LionPride

Banned
Yeah the Raimi Spider-Man movies ain't good Spider-Man movies

Spider-Man 2 is a fine movie

Just not a good Spidey movie. Fuck em

I want to make a gif of him going "Butterfingers!" His head motion is hilarious.
Up10yRO.gif

I never noticed him grinning like a total lunatic just prior, heh.

JayCB

No superhero film of the past 7 years is as bad as Suicide Squad. Except for maybe Fantastic 4 but I never saw it.
Fantastic 4 isn't bad so much as it's just bloody boring, nothing happens for the majority of it.

Then things do and it's bad.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Sam Raimi's movies had Bruce Campbell. That already makes them better than most other Super hero movies in general.

a916

No superhero film of the past 7 years is as bad as Suicide Squad. Except for maybe Fantastic 4 but I never saw it.

It's worse. There's select parts that are cool but SS story is a mess. Both are bad, but different shades of bad.

Daft_Cat

Up10yRO.gif

I never noticed him grinning like a total lunatic just prior, heh.

Not to discredit the script (cause boy, that's one hell of a script), but Molina managed to add all kinds of nuanced little layers to Octavius. He effectively turned a mustache-twirling arch-baddie into a complex, haunting villain with a tragic arc. Definitely one of the best performances in the genre - a feat he managed without chewing up all the scenery like Dafoe (or even Ledger, to some extent).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Suicide Squad will be the go-to-movie, when the talk comes to absolute clusterfuck waste of potential, for years to come.

Fan4stic had very little in terms of expectations, so that being bad was no big surprise. Even then, it has one decent act (the first) to SS's zero.

Enchantress is also somehow worse than Victor von Alt-right. Somehow.

Let's not go there with WW's last act. Nah, man. It's cool you didn't feel it, but it was at the very least levels above SS'S

Suicide Squad is not even watchable.

It makes Xmen 3 look like art.

Read the spoilers,
Zendaya being MJ
is going to make people a lot of people really angry if that's true.

It's like they are using names of known characters and then making them completely different characters, while also doing the complete opposite - Ned Leeds being Ganke + spoiler just makes me go "why"?

Putting aside the racist bullshit, they really copped out not just making her the real MJ, if you're going to go that direction, own it, don't half ass it. Over the five movies, we've never had a Mary Jane/Gwen who has been a perfect comic book representation and yet it's with a black actress they get cold feet and have to change the name.

What

Just because you don't care for that particular interpretation of the character doesn't make them any less valid as "Spider-Man movies" (whatever *that* means).

Hopefully Homecoming quells that shit, already.

It does when they're not actually comic book accurate Spider-Man portrayals. Remove personal preference from the equation lol

Glad we're at least all agreed on SS.

Am I allowed to post my impressions on here Wednesday as long as I spoiler tag em?

LionPride

Banned
Putting aside the racist bullshit, they really copped out not just making her the real MJ, if you're going to go that direction, own it, don't half ass it. Over the five movies, we've never had a Mary Jane/Gwen who has been a perfect comic book representation and yet it's with a black actress they get cold feet and have to change the name.
Yeah I'm gonna say this

I feel like It ain't that fuckin deep

Daft_Cat

It does when they're not actually comic book accurate Spider-Man portrayals. Remove personal preference from the equation lol

Glad we're at least all agreed on SS.

Am I allowed to post my impressions on here Wednesday as long as I spoiler tag em?

I mean, I've read a lot of Spider-Man comics. There are all kinds of variations. From writer to writer, series to series, etc. What makes Raimi's take any less valid an interpretation?

Slayven

This is what I remember most about this exchange

SS is plenty watchable.

Waller killing her own people ruined it for me though

Yes, Waller is ruthless but she isn't cold. She became what she was because she lost her children and didn't want to see anyone go through that again

Glass Rebel

I want them to hold out on Green Goblin and Doc Ock as much as possible. Having Vulture, Shocker and Tinkerer in this one was a good move and I hope Spidey 2 and 3 give us Mysterio, Kraven, Scorpion, Chameleon, Hammerhead etc. before they go back to the "old" stuff.

What

Just because you don't care for that particular interpretation of the character doesn't make them any less valid as "Spider-Man movies" (whatever *that* means).

Always a wack statement to make tbh. People apply it to the nolan Batman movies too and it's just as hilarious

One of the more annoying facets of some comic book movie enthusiasts. Their inability accept adaptations that venture off the beaten path even just a little.

Also SS was awful but it damn sure was more fun to sit through than the latest f4 (or any of them really). Trainwreck plot but some of the earlier will Smith scenes were too entertaining to be lumped in with that lifeless fantastic four reboot

SomTervo

I watched Suicide Squad for free on a movie channel and... it's not the worst. Obviously not good. But not the worst.

Could be I feel that way because I didn't spend £12 to see it.

Not to discredit the script (cause boy, that's one hell of a script), but Molina managed to add all kinds of nuanced little layers to Octavius. He effectively turned a mustache-twirling arch-baddie into a complex, haunting villain with a tragic arc. Definitely one of the best performances in the genre - a feat he managed without chewing up all the scenery like Dafoe (or even Ledger, to some extent).

Fucking love Molina so much

just so much

Semi (?) objectionable opinion time: I actually enjoyed the first hour of Fantastic Four for the most part. Some individual scenes (the science fair and "it's clobberin' time" being the utterance of a drunk abusive father in particular) were pretty bad, but it felt relatively cohesive. The film starts to fall apart very rapidly around the time we find out Reed Richards can morph his face, and then it completely implodes when garbage dumpster Doom shows up.

Suicide Squad, on other hand, is rotten all the way through. Pretty much the worst superhero film since Elektra. Edit: I guess Jonah Hex is technically part of that genre, but you take my point.

Toa TAK

Banned
Always a wack statement to make tbh. People apply it to the nolan Batman movies too and it's just as hilarious

One of the more annoying facets of some comic book movie enthusiasts. Their inability accept adaptations that venture off the beaten path even just a little.

a4f9920c1f558e2ac00042430b2f4276.gif

Buckle

I've never really held Spider-Man 2 in high regard.

Always found Tobey to be kind of a shit Spider-Man and Raimi has some really bad cheesey moments like the train scene or any of the goofy "yay! It's Spider-Man!" stuff in his movies.

Costume looked great though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can we get a movie where the Shocker just shows up through out the movie trying to rob banks or cause other kinds of trouble and just gets his ass handily kicked in like a minute flat each time. Just as a running gag because really, its The Shocker.

Slayven

Doc Ock and the goblins can sleep for a long time for all i care

Give me Tombstone, The SMythes, Silvermane, etc. Spidey got a deep bench, fucking use it

Can we get a movie where the Shocker just shows up through out the movie trying to rob banks or cause other kinds of trouble and just gets his ass handily kicked in like a minute flat each time. Just as a running gag because really, its The Shocker.
I'd prefer the trapster/paste pot pete

Skux

What is going on here. Spidey 1 and 2 are both fantastic films and will continue to be regardless of how Homecoming turns out.

Toa TAK

Banned
Norman Osburne doesn't need to be anywhere for a bit

Give me different villains

I want Kraven damn it
Kraven would be phenomenal.

Especially if they do Last Hunt, etc. etc.
God damn. What a good show that was. Didn't know you were a fan too
It's a damn good show.
Doc Ock and the goblins can sleep for a long time for all i care

Give me Tombstone, The SMythes, Silvermane, etc. Spidey got a deep bench, fucking use it

Damn right. Let me see Scorpion at least. Morbius would be neat as well.

Bring out all his animal themed rogues.

LionPride

Banned
What is going on here. Spidey 1 and 2 are both fantastic films and will continue to be regardless of how Homecoming turns out.
An opinion

Yo why the fuck hasn't Chameleon been in a movie

Or Mysterio as a lesser villain

Give me Smythe too
SHIT FOR HOMECOMING

If the spoilers are true Micheal Mando is playing Scorpion

Slayven

Kraven would be phenomenal.

Especially if they do Last Hunt, etc. etc.

It's a damn good show.

Damn right. Let me see Scorpion at least. Morbius would be neat as well.

Bring out all his animal themed rogues.

A live action Scorpion would be too much, I couldn't even

Buckle

Always wanted a Kraven and Lizard film. Kraven hunting him, Peter trying to save him, etc.

Mysterio is my favorite rogue though. Fishbowl and all.

Glass Rebel

What

Also SS was awful but it damn sure was more fun to sit through than the latest f4 (or any of them really). Trainwreck plot but some of the earlier will Smith scenes were too entertaining to be lumped in with that lifeless fantastic four reboot

At least we all agree with Sir Ian McKellen that the Singer X-Men movies are trash because of their crappy costumes.

LionPride

Banned
At least we all agree with Sir Ian McKellen that the Singer X-Men movies are trash because of their crappy costumes.
That's part of it

Also, Nolan Batman had the core characteristics that are almost always present in any interpretation of Batman, including him being a baby back bitch

The Spider-Man movies, haven't had some of the core characteristics about Peter and it's greatly hindered my enjoyment of em and I'm talkon beyond making jokes

Top Bottom