• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

All Spider-Man threads without fail have a tiny band of attention seeking try-hards attempting to shit on Spider-Man 2. Dodge the bait like Spidey

tumblr_n82ih3bPTy1rrkahjo10_500.gif

SpaceWolf

Banned
ASM2 is legit as bad as Schumacher's Batman films to me. But at least those Batman's are so camp and full of one liners that it's funny. ASM2 is just a mess.

There's literally nothing of worth about ASM2 outside of Garfield and Stone's chemistry and maybe Garfield's performance after discovering Gwen's body.

Outside of that, it's all just a sickly carnival of painfully transparent corporate desperation and creative laziness.

Why do the majority of Spider-Man fans dislike Amazing Spider-Man & Amazing Spider-Man 2?

I seriously would like a detailed reason, because I adore the 1st ASM and I enjoyed the sequel as well - even more so than the Raimi films - which I also love.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Those were a chore to read, especially with the cringe-inducing speaking in first person "I Hulk" shtick - but I read them.

I don't see his issues. He says the first film had no story - which is ridiculous and that the second one has more problems than not and only does a few things well, which also seems ridiculous to me.

But I also enjoy both movies and they are my favorite Spider-Man films thus far.

I would rather have some Gaffer's give me their Impressions without having to read "I Hulk no like" every sentence lol

SpaceWolf

Banned
Those were a chore to read, especially with the cringe-inducing speaking in first person "I Hulk" shtick - but I read them.

I don't see his issues. He says the first film had no story - which is ridiculous and that the second one has more problems than not and only does a few things well, which also seems ridiculous to me.

But I also enjoy both movies and they are my favorite Spider-Man films thus far.

I would rather have some Gaffer's give me their Impressions without having to read "I Hulk no like" every sentence lol

Yes, because that's not a willfully reductionist means of dismissing the eloquent and extensive way the guy offers an analysis of the movies at all.

Stop acting like a child.

Maybe some people just don't like Spider-Man 2.

I think its charming.

You see Spider-Man 2's fans bring that movie up far more often but somehow they've deluded themselves into thinking people are on some kind of crusade against their questionable tastes.
They get real angry about it.

Yeah, I was wondering if people came to their own conclusions before seeing this or if it was a "I'll wait and see what Hulk's opinion is before making my own because I wouldn't want to seem like a dumb plebe enjoying something he doesn't".

I took my son to see ASM2 as like his second theater movie or something and I went in with negative impressions in my head because of GAF and actually came out entertained. Even dug that score that got shat on because hating wub wub was a thing.

I just picked up ASM 1+2 cheap last night and got through 1. I actually felt the same as that Hulk person about it not having a good story arc, but it was still entertaining.

Why do the majority of Spider-Man fans dislike Amazing Spider-Man & Amazing Spider-Man 2?

I seriously would like a detailed reason, because I adore the 1st ASM and I enjoyed the sequel as well - even more so than the Raimi films - which I also love.

- They miss the point of Peter Parker as Spider-Man, as in Peter Parker being destined to be spider-man is stupid as fuck, and miss a huge part of the character.
- They can't decide what Peter wants to be, and while it's fine he's not exactly the original 60's Peter or the Peter from Ultimate, they continually change his character's personality, Garfield is criminally ill suited to the role. One day he's a smart alec rebel, he's a skateboard kid, he's sad kid, one day he's an arsehole, he's a fucking personality vaccum.
- That goes with the film, it struggles to find a cohesive tone.
- Piss poor dialogue.
- Not very much spider-man action, focus on the boring mystery shit instead. Specially in the first one.
- No one cares about Peter's parents.
- Incidentally, it takes a whole fucking hour of the first movie to get the proper spider-man stuff going.
- Not much chemistry between Gwen and Peter.
- Green Goblin and Electro and Lizard look awful and were fucking wasted.
- Don't even get me started with what they did with Rhino in 2.
- CGI is fucking atrocious.
- Going over the origin again in excruciating detail, with an Aunt May and Uncle Ben that can't hold a candle to the Raimi films portryals.
- Tries to rip off some of the best Raimi moments, in particular with the crane scene at the end of 1.
- Seems determined to set up future sequels and spins off for itself before setting up its own story, world, characters, etc.
- Baffling plotholes.
- That fucking foreshadowing in ASM 2 for the most obvious plot thread in the world (Gwen's death)
- That fucking music, jesus christ.
- OH WOW HUMOUR HA HA HA it's so fucking stupid.
- Harry and Peter are best friends? Thats weird, you'd think that would have come up in the last film where Oscorp features so prominently.
- So Norman Osborne has a disease that kills you and maybe turns you into the green goblin and harry comes back to new york and automatically starts deteriorating from it then he takes the spider-man blood thats supposed to cure it and he turns into the fucking goblin anyway?
- Electro goes from spidey booster to hating him in one scene?
- SONY PRODUCT PLACEMENT, EVERYWHERE.
- Lots and lots of little bullshit.

Anung

Un Rama
Yes, because that's not a willfully reductionist means of dismissing the eloquent, extensive and critically insightful way the guy offers an analysis of the movies at all.

He doesn't even need to go that deep, although I appreciate it, a 'THIS FILM IS SHIT' will suffice.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yeah, I was wondering if people came to their own conclusions before seeing this or if it was a "I'll wait and see what Hulk's opinion is before making my own because I wouldn't want to seem like a dumb plebe enjoying something he doesn't".

I think you're overstating just how much value people generally place on Film Critic Hulk's essays and reviews, especially around these parts.

I'm need catch the fade with everyone trying shit on Spider-Man 2.

All Spider-Man threads without fail have a tiny band of attention seeking try-hards attempting to shit on Spider-Man 2. Dodge the bait like Spidey

Or you could use type your own thoughts to challenge and/or refute my points that while it's a real good movie it's not the apex of SM storytelling to me

Honestly, I've never really cared about Peter's bio parents & focusing on them really misses the point but I really can't stress enough how the radioactive/genetically altered spider that bit him being specifically made to give him powers completely betrays everything Spider-Man should be about, to me

Awesome suit in AM2 though & I liked the accent Garfield used where Maguire didn't or barely did

I think you're overstating just how much value people generally place on Film Critic Hulk's essays and reviews, especially around these parts.
I admit, I honestly don't know. But I do see links to the blog when every so-called bad film is being discussed. And I do know that it's human nature to link to someone/something that validates your positive or negative opinion, I do it too.

But I do feel that people too often are afraid of liking something that goes against the grain for fear of coming across as "dumb" yet seem more inclined and emboldened to post their negative, contrarian opinions.

I took my son to see ASM2 as like his second theater movie or something and I went in with negative impressions in my head because of GAF and actually came out entertained.
Something can be entertaining and also flawed. The two are not mutally exclusive. Saying you were entertained doesn't discount or rebuke the criticisms that people have with the movies

WillyFive

Personally, I did not like ASM1 at all. It was a boring movie, with a terrible Peter Parker, forgettable characters, action, and plot, and a bland score. Not only was it not interesting or fun to watch (outside a few novel visual things like having Spiderman talk on a cellphone), it was a reboot that came out so soon after Spiderman 3 ended that all through my time watching it I was thinking how pointless it was.

As for ASM2, I had a much better impression, with the characters finally becoming interesting (except for Peter Parker), Electro was fantastic, the musical score was brilliant, the action was really well done, and it had a lot of moments of just classic comic book Spiderman being awesome; but it's story was a bit of a mess (what was that whole thing about a random incoming plane crash during the climax) and the stuff that happened in the plot was contrived and seemed to happen for drama's sake as opposed to being an actual story.

I found ASM2 entertaining in the end (with it's problems), but ASM1 has no redeeming qualities and neither movie should never have been made.

Something can be entertaining and also flawed. The two are not mutally exclusive. Saying you were entertained doesn't discount or rebuke the criticisms that people have with the movies
I agree which is why I stated I came to the same conclusion as that Hulk person regarding 1. But I feel overly relying on these opinions when someone asks "what did YOU not like about the film" isn't helpful.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I admit, I honestly don't know. But I do see links to the blog when every so-called bad film is being discussed. And I do know that's it's human nature to link to someone/something that validates your positive or negative opinion, I do it too.

If this is a barb directed towards me, the person I was responding to wanted to hear a serious analysis about why people seemed to feel The Amazing Spider-Man movies don't quite work as films. As a response, I linked him one of the more extensive critical examinations of that movie providing that argument I could think of...it had nothing to do with Hulk "validating" my own personal view of those films.

But I do feel that people too often are afraid of liking something that goes against the grain for fear of coming across as "dumb" yet seem more inclined and emboldened to post their negative, contrarian opinions.

Interesting point, and I agree with you.

I agree which is why I stated I came to the same conclusion as that Hulk person regarding 1. But I feel overly relying on these opinions when someone asks "what did YOU not like about the film" isn't helpful.
I feels it's valuable in a "this article explains my criticism way more eloquently than I could" way. Sure, it comes across as a bit of a cop-out as a reply, but the intention is understandable.

It's not really about relying on other's opinions or trying to validate one's impressions

If this is a barb directed towards me, the person I was responding to wanted to hear a serious analysis about why people seemed to feel The Amazing Spider-Man movies don't quite work as films. As a response, I linked him one of the more extensive critical examinations of that movie providing that argument I could think of...it had nothing to do with Hulk "validating" my own personal view of those films.

Interesting point, and I agree with you.

I actually didn't mean to refer to that kind of validation as a pejorative. It's natural and I do it all the time when it comes to Assasain' Creed 3 defense haha.

Not

Banned
As I recall Spider-Man 2 has a LOT of taaaaaaaaaalking and

Poooooor Peter his girlfriend's getting married and he has a crappy apartment

And Aunt May Aunt May

Oh my powers are gone for no reason, raindrops keep fallin' on my head

There's not enough cool Spider-Man stuff. There IS cool Spider-Man stuff, but not enough.

Top Bottom