• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

WinFonda

It worries me that both of the immediate reviews feel Homecoming falls short of Raimi's original Spiderman.

I mean, I love that movie, but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's got a lot of flaws, especially in the action department.

4517426-1145713507-rUPIK.gif

At times it's basically a big budget Power Rangers episode.

Well sure it hasn't aged well, that scene also features Macy Gray singing in a parade! Remember her?

I actually disagree tho, especially on the action. Raimi put a lot of punch into the fights. Everything felt like it hurt. A lot. And the ending confrontation between Spidey and Goblin is brutal, seriously. No other comic movie has had that kind of violence I don't think. While movies like Winter Solider have since featured better action choreography, we do have to keep in mind Spiderman basically predated the modern superhero cinematic universe stuff. So Raimi was essentially pioneering like Richard Donner was with the Superman films.

I'm guessing the metric is something like-

Winter Soldier, then Guardians, then Spidey, or some variation of that. Which isn't a bad place for the movie to be.

Except it would be Winter Soldier, Guardians, Spider-Man 1 & 2, Homecoming and then everything else which is madness.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Okay. You are seeing the light. All is well.

Still the best superhero film ever, and it probably will be for a long time.

it's quite good, but i prefer tom holland off cvil war alone to tobey who still bothers me (along with dunst)

molina, jk & others are excellent though

Spiderman 2 is the worst in the original trilogy

1 > 3 > 2

thanks for taking the heat off me

SpaceWolf

Banned
I actually disagree tho, especially on the action. Raimi put a lot of punch into the fights. Everything felt like it hurt. A lot. And the ending confrontation between Spidey and Goblin is brutal, seriously. No other comic movie has had that kind of violence I don't think. While movies like Winter Solider have since featured better action choreography, we do have to keep in mind Spiderman basically predated the modern superhero cinematic universe stuff. So Raimi was essentially pioneering like Richard Donner was with the Superman films.

Like I already mentioned, I totally agree the final Spidey V Goblin square-off once they get away from the bridge is fantastic, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of the other action sequences in that film aren't so well handled (like the Power Rangersque World Unity Festival square-off, which conversely is very clumsy and cloddish in its execution)

ZeroX03

Banned
Effects may age, but Spidey 2, Superman and TDK will never stop being classics folks, no matter how hard you fight it.

Gin-Shiio

Even my father enjoyed SM2 when it was on TV, and he's the kind of guy that says movies have no value unless they portray something realistic.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
from Steven Weintraub on twitter

Absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED Spider-Man Homecoming. Funny. Filled with surprises. Tons of fun. Going to make insane $ at box office.

Also Spider-Man Homecoming has one of the best after the credits scenes yet. But not for the reason you'd expect. Trust me. Stay till end.

Sapiens

Honestly, the secret nerd manifesto treats those glorified Herculese episodes that they call "Raimi Spider-Man" as sacrosanct, so this is likely the best Spider-Man ever.

Mariolee

People keep mentioning there are a lot of surprises, but one of the early criticisms of the movie is that they showed way too much in marketing. I'll be impressed if there are truly a lot of surprises left.

LiK

People keep mentioning there are a lot of surprises, but one of the early criticisms of the movie is that they showed way too much in marketing. I'll be impressed if there are truly a lot of surprises left.

I only watched the first trailer. heard all the later trailers spoil the entire movie.

Slayven

People said the same thing about GOTG 2, and most of the trailers were made up of footage from the first 30 minutes of the movie

Phew, I was worried to be honest, more than any MCU film of recent memory. (Doctor Strange was a vanilla film dipped in Tabasco sauce, but I don't care about Doctor Strange).

Top Bottom