• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

Davide

Can it be? A poster that's finally pretty good!
That one's fantastic, a logo-less version would be great for a wallpaper.

MJ spoilers:

So it sounds like Zendaya is playing a Michelle J, which would mean a MJ knock off named MJ but she's not actually Mary Jane with nothing else in common. Definitely not liking that. Mary Jane is essential for Spider-Man for me.

Fuchsdh

Can it be? A poster that's finally pretty good!

This just raises the perennial question I've always had—where the hell is Spider-Man swinging his webs when he's heading home to Queens? Outside of Manhattan, and downtown Queens, there's not enough tall buildings around to use. In reality he'd have to take the E train in to town.

MJ spoilers:

So it sounds like Zendaya is playing a Michelle J, which would mean a MJ knock off named MJ but she's not actually Mary Jane with nothing else in common. Definitely not liking that. Mary Jane is essential for Spider-Man for me.

That's definitely aggravating. I'd rather her just be "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" if you insist on doing that angle.

That said, I've enjoyed the clips I've seen of her as "Michelle"/"MJ" in the film so far. She doesn't act like the traditional Mary Jane, but she's definitely got the sass/wit quality about her and the nerdy/loner quality seems reminiscent of her counterpart in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

But yeah, if they're aiming for something like Michelle Johnson, that's rather bullshit of Marvel and/or Sony to do, imo. I get wanting to be a bit different from the previous film incarnations, but it feels wrong here. Especially with the racial element at play here.

Da-Kid

That's definitely aggravating. I'd rather her just be "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" if you insist on doing that angle.

That said, I've enjoyed the clips I've seen of her as "Michelle"/"MJ" in the film so far. She doesn't act like not traditional Mary Jane, but she's definitely got the sass/wit quality about her and the nerdy/loner quality seems reminiscent of her counterpart in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

But yeah, if they're aiming for something like Michelle Johnson, that's rather bullshit of Marvel and/or Sony to do, imo. I get wanting to be a bit different from the previous film incarnations, but it feels wrong here. Especially with the racial element at play here.
Yeah it is kinda weird not to just make Michelle her middle name that she prefers or how you put it... either make her Mary Jane or don't...

Buckle

That one's fantastic, a logo-less version would be great for a wallpaper.

MJ spoilers:

To be honest, never really liked MJ so thats abit of a relief that she'll only be her
in a nod with the name sort of way.

I was worried they were going to go the raimi route and just make her the default love interest but holding out hope Liz Allen and Gwen are in there.

Davide

That said, I've enjoyed the clips I've seen of her as "Michelle"/"MJ" in the film so far. She doesn't act like the traditional Mary Jane, but she's definitely got the sass/wit quality about her and the nerdy/loner quality seems reminiscent of her counterpart in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

Or even made her a totally new/different character. This seems to be the worst possible route because it seems to mean
we'll never have an actual Mary Jane Watson in the MCU, which has me really concerned

This just raises the perennial question I've always had—where the hell is Spider-Man swinging his webs when he's heading home to Queens? Outside of Manhattan, and downtown Queens, there's not enough tall buildings around to use. In reality he'd have to take the E train in to town.

If Ultimate Spider-Man on PS2 taught me anything, he double jumps and uses web-zip to get around Queens. Not much swinging.

Yeah it is kinda weird not to just make Michelle her middle name that she prefers or how you put it... either make her Mary Jane or don't...

I'm hoping that the inevitable fan response that's coming results in Marvel taking a more firm response on the issue moving forward and just establish the full "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" name as being her full name in the MCU.

Going the whole "She's MJ, but not really" angle is aggravating for all sides of the fandom. People who want her to be Mary Jane are going to be mad that she's not "fully" Mary Jane, and the idiots that are going to be mad that MJ is black in the MCU will just keep hounding Marvel until they get "the real Mary Jane" in the films.

Just make her Mary Jane Watson, Marvel. It's really not that hard.

Or even made her a totally new/different character. This seems to be the worst possible route because it seems to mean
we'll never have an actual Mary Jane Watson in the MCU, which has me really concerned

To a degree.
Let's be honest, if Zendaya were playing an entirely new character, a large portion of fans wouldn't be taking her romance with Peter seriously. The three big loves in his life are Mary Jane, Gwen and Felicia. Die-hards might talk about other crushes or fleeting romances in Peter's love life, like Liz or Betty, but it's always going to come down to one of the big three.

Davide

To a degree.
Let's be honest, if Zendaya were playing an entirely new character, a large portion of fans wouldn't be taking her romance with Peter seriously. The three big loves in his life are Mary Jane, Gwen and Felicia. Die-hards might talk about other crushes or fleeting romances in Peter's love life, like Liz or Betty, but it's always going to come down to one of the big three.
But this still isn't going to be Mary Jane or any of his original love interests at least for me, just someone with the name MJ. So I won't be able to take it any more seriously than an all new character, which Would have been less upset by.

But this still isn't going to be Mary Jane or any of his original love interests at least for me, just someone with the name MJ.

True, but the fact that they're calling her MJ makes it pretty clear. Especially in conjunction with the old reports from when Zendaya was first cast over a year ago; she's meant to be Peter's big love interest in the MCU. She is, for all intents and purposes, the "MJ" of the MCU.

LionPride

Banned
But this still isn't going to be Mary Jane or any of his original love interests at least for me, just someone with the name MJ. So I won't be able to take it any more seriously than an all new character, which Would have been less upset by.
Why won't it be MJ? Because of a different name? That's stupid yo

I'm hoping that the inevitable fan response that's coming results in Marvel taking a more firm response on the issue moving forward and just establish the full "Michelle Mary Jane Watson" name as being her full name in the MCU.

Going the whole "She's MJ, but not really" angle is aggravating for all sides of the fandom. People who want her to be Mary Jane are going to be mad that she's not "fully" Mary Jane, and the idiots that are going to be mad that MJ is black in the MCU will just keep hounding Marvel until they get "the real Mary Jane" in the films.

This reminds me of how in Dark Knight Rises, the ending revealed
John Blake's first name was Robin lol

Da-Kid

I see this being the case

Davide

So like, MJ's core characteristics can be in the movies tho. Fuck the name and the hair, I'm talkin character
I think Zendaya can play a perfect fine Mary Jane but she definitely doesn't seem at all like MJ to me in the trailers. So I'm concerned although obviously I still haven't seen the movie. If she is the only MJ there's going to be in the MCU it's stupid naming her Michelle.

This reminds me of how in Dark Knight Rises, the ending revealed
John Blake's first name was Robin lol

Sort of, but ironically enough, it makes enough sense in TDKR with how Nolan did it.
The "John Blake" character was an amalgamation of the various classic Robin (Dick, Jason and Tim). The reveal at the end of his first name being Robin is merely to solidify that and indicate that there was at least one point in Nolan Batman's career where he fought crime alongside a Robin, however briefly and potentially half-assed it might come off to audiences.

In contrast, the whole "Michelle = MJ" reveal comes off more as Marvel and/or Sony trying to have its cake and eat it too. They can say they have an MJ in the MCU who's a WOC, but if fans get too mad at that, they can just say, "Oh, but she's Michelle. Not Mary Jane."

LionPride

Banned
I think Zendaya can play a perfect fine Mary Jane but I don't think Michelle is an actress and she definitely doesn't say MJ to me in the trailers. I'll have to wait to see the movie obviously but I am concerned.
But none of that is core character shit

I think Zendaya can play a perfect fine Mary Jane but I don't think Michelle is an actress and she definitely doesn't say MJ to me in the trailers. I'll have to wait to see the movie obviously but I am concerned.

I think they're taking wayyyyyyy more inspiration from the Ultimate Mary Jane than the 616 Mary Jane (much like a large majority of the MCU Spider-Man with a relatively younger Aunt May, a Mentor figure in the form of Tony/Fury, and Ned essentially being Ganke from MIles' cast of characters). It's still not an exact match, but it's less of a deviation if you're looking at it from that POV.

But none of that is core character shit

This is also very true.
From what clips I've seen of the film, "Michelle" at least seems to have Mary Jane's wit and strong will about her.

10573312276_3ecf865aa1.jpg

LionPride

Banned
I think they're taking wayyyyyyy more inspiration from the Ultimate Mary Jane than the 616 Mary Jane (much like a large majority of the MCU Spider-Man with a relatively younger Aunt May, a Mentor figure in the form of Tony/Fury, and Ned essentially being Ganke from MIles' cast of characters). It's still not an exact match, but it's less of a deviation if you're looking at it from that POV.

This is also very true.
From what clips I've seen of the film, "Michelle" at least seems to have Mary Jane's wit and strong will about her.
And that's what matters. None of this "oh she isn't a model or actress with red hair bullshit. Her actual character traits consistent through all/most portrayals of her.

Dalek

Watching the original Spider-Man right now. The camp is amazing, but I’m still hung up on them trying to pass Tobey Maguire for an 18 year old kid.

Hello fellow kids.

I watched it last night too. Some parts haven't aged well. Also the part where Aunt May tells Peter about the first time he saw MJ. "Aunt May...is that an angel??"

Yeesh

I think Zendaya regardless of who she's playing or whatever... her performance looks really entertaining in this movie. I crack up every time I see that part where she says "what are you hiding, Peter?" "jk I don't give a fuck see ya"

LotusHD

Banned
1. Zendaya went from Shake It Up to being in this and The Greatest Showman. Bless up

2. Holland's natural accent makes him sound even younger

1. I always knew Zendaya could make it big, even back in Shake It Up she was far more entertaining to watch compared to Bella Thorne's character.

2. This is true.

I think Zendaya regardless of who she's playing or whatever... her performance looks really entertaining in this movie. I crack up every time I see that part where she says "what are you hiding, Peter?" "jk I don't give a fuck see ya"

Same, I like what I've seen so far, really neat that she's a part of the MCU now.

LionPride

Banned
1. I always knew Zendaya could make it big, even back in Shake It Up she was far more entertaining to watch compared to Bella Thorne's character.

2. This is true.

Same, I like what I've seen so far, really neat that she's a part of the MCU now.
Now Bella Thorne is on Snapchat wildin the fuck out and a show on Freeform I think?

Absolutely. She screams "scene-stealer" to me and I love it. I'm quite excited to see more of her character in the film and see where they take her in the sequel, especially considering all the reports on how her role would become more prevalent in subsequent entries in the films.

Pachimari

Maybe that was the MCU thread…either way, it was obvious. They've done this before. First hint was Iron Man's poster having Spidey's arm in it lmao
Yeah of course it's obvious. Still, nobody had posted the combined poster. Neither in the MCU thread. Here you see it put together. Which is why he posted it in the first place.

Top Bottom