• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Spider-Man: Homecoming reactions

There is something genuinely scary about Willem Dafoe.

Also anyone else think he looks like Steve Buscemi?

But he's Jesus

kqWPzsS.jpg

Cuburt

Sounds like they nailed the tone they were going for. That's the most encouraging thing I've gotten from these impressions. That and it doesn't suck. lol

Sounds promising. I'll be seeing it in the cinemas anyway.

It worries me that both of the immediate reviews feel Homecoming falls short of Raimi's original Spiderman.

I mean, I love that movie, but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's got a lot of flaws, especially in the action department.

At times it's basically a big budget Power Rangers episode.

Eh, it's still a mostly well regarded film anyway, that's actually good for Homecoming.

Maximus.

It worries me that both of the immediate reviews feel Homecoming falls short of Raimi's original Spiderman.

I mean, I love that movie, but it hasn't aged particularly well. It's got a lot of flaws, especially in the action department.

4517426-1145713507-rUPIK.gif

It's an anecdotal comparison, not like they watched every Spider-Man movie right before watching Homecoming and then reviewed the new one.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It says something about the stength of the characters that it's still so we'll revered

The Kree

Banned
If you were so desperate to predict Marvel Studios' first major stumble that you picked Spider-Man with Kevin Feige in charge, you should feel embarrassed. You don't put nunchucks in Bruce Lee's hands not expect ass whoopings to occur.

Toparaman

Banned

That GIF looks great, washed out colors aside. Camp is not a bad thing when it comes to superheroes or any other escapist fare. Modern movie directors need to learn to embrace the camp again, only then can you have truly great villains and compelling drama.

People forget how much movie critics loved "Spider-Man". Critics also forget how awful some of that dialogue is. If this movie lives up to critics' memories of "Spider-Man", we're in for a treat.

People forget how much movie critics loved "Spider-Man". Critics also forget how awful some of that dialogue is. If this movie lives up to critics' memories of "Spider-Man", we're in for a treat.
Raimi's first Spider-Man is a campy movie and it knows it. That style of film may not be to your or everyone's taste but that doesn't make it automatically bad.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I knew they would pull it off. So damn excited.

Also, I love that one of the only complaints in the OP is that they gloss over the origin, which I think the vast majority of people wanted them to do.

have people seen spider-man 2 lately?

"It's good, but not incredible" seems just fine to me?

I loathe Spider-Man 2. Movie is so slow.

Spiderman 2 is the worst in the original trilogy

1 > 3 > 2

I hate Spiderman 2 so I don't know how to take this news.

yea and it's still just as schmaltzy, boring and pathetic in the action department as it was when it first came out. what about it?

My man I completely agree Spider-Man 2 is the worst Spider-Man movie.

1 > ASM 2 > 3 >ASM 1 > 2

This movie sounds bad if it's even worse the 2.

I think all of the Raimi films are varying degrees of horrible.

But still all horrible.

Have I entered the Berenstein dimension where Spider-Man 2 is a completely different movie?

It's one of the best superhero movies ever made, and you people are crazy.

Also, what is with this damn obsession some people have about requiring a film's protagonist to be "likable" at all times?

Seventy70

Have I entered the Berenstein dimension where Spider-Man 2 is a completely different movie?

Also, what is with this damn obsession some people have about requiring a film's protagonist to be "likable" at all times?

What I want to know is why people have to be so abrasive about their opinions when it comes to "nerdy" stuff. Can't everyone just chill and discuss their opinions like adults? This "I'm going to come shove my controversial opinion in peoples' faces to get a response" thing is getting very annoying. At least offer some kind of explanations. Surely you know it's not a popular opinion.

Raimi's first Spider-Man is a campy movie and it knows it. That style of film may not be to your or everyone's taste but that doesn't make it automatically bad.

I would NEVER say the original "Spider-Man" is a bad movie. It's a damn fun movie. I just don't know if critics, upon re-watching it, would hold it in the same esteem they do now.

Skilletor

Nah, just opinions. I usually don't post since people are always tripping over themselves to shame and name call anybody who thinks differently about the Raimi films.

Everyone likes Spider-Man 2. People don't hate it, they just like it less. There.

Nah, I hate it. Lol

Top Bottom