• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fish moving out of the way is....next gen?

TheMan

i was pretty baffled by the fish and leaping over walls shit being "next gen"...tbh everything i'm hearing about the x1 is making me wary. kind of sad to see MS seemingly make mistakes at every turn. im hoping it's mostly negativity being stirred up by riled up neckbeards, but it's looking more and more like i'll be skipping on back to sonyland pretty soon.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is Xbox fish going to be the giant enemy crab for the coming generation?

I sense a meme in the making.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is Xbox fish going to be the giant enemy crab for the coming generation?

I sense a meme in the making.
What about the doggy? We can't forget him...

rPC1tRM.gif

What made it so funny to me is that they kept showing that fucking scene of the fish getting out of the way over and over like it was supposed to be mind-blowing

Even the way Don Matrick looked when he announced the activision guy on stage made it seem like he was in on the joke cuz he was even smirking when he said "All new EXCLUSIVE CONTENT on Xbox One"

Amir0x

Banned
The funny thing is how absolutely simple it is to program things like that to move away from another object like the main character. Shit like that has been done since like the Age of the Pyramids lol

Woffls

Heh I'm glad others picked up on this. I'll just quote a tweet I made at the time.

"@Woffls: Fish that move out of the way when you move close to them? The 90s called, they want their environmental gimmicks back."

Santiako

Heh I'm glad others picked up on this. I'll just quote a tweet I made at the time.

"@Woffls: Fish that move out of the way when you move close to them? The 90s called, they want their environmental gimmicks back."

You made a tweet at the time? Awesome.

Kintaco

It's not jus the fish moving out of the way that makes it next gen!! You can also lean to shoot now. You can play as a dog. The dog has a tattoo in his ear. You can automatically jump small fences. You can run into a slide and start shooting. Wii U is not capable of doing any of that without taking a major hit in FPS!

In all seriousness what I think he meant was that they've coded in fish schooling behaviour, based on Craig Reynolds boids work. Pretty much an advanced particle effect. Probably in the scuba diving section of the game you'll swim through shoals of fish / bait balls and they'll undulate / flow around you.

Phhhh

Their new engine, and level of detail system seems really cool.

Is this going to be their first non iD based engine?

The interactive environments thing seems cool too. I guess Bad Company did a lot of that, but in a different way.

PJV3

As soon as they mentioned Photons i knew this console was special.
The fish are just the icing on the cake.

Alrus

This is even more ridiculous than the "With 8GB ddr5 you can now climb walls" thing from the Killzone thing. Are AAA devs that much out of new ideas they have to hype meaningless stuff that was possible before anyway?

iavi

Everything shown in that COD segment that was supposed to be groundbreaking has been in BF3.

Except the dog. The dog is revolutionary.

Among the, lets face it, countless head scratcher moments from today's conference one thing that mystified me was when the Activision guy said "Yea so next gen we're gonna have more interactivity with the environment if your underwater and go up close to fish the fish will move out of the way!"

But aren't there like hundreds of games this gen that interactivity like that? I mean every bethesda games have animals and insects that move out of your way and i'm very confident fish getting out of the way is nothing new either.

You're all right after all Anticitizen, you can troll the Wii U threads anytime.

Top Bottom