• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Man no matter what I do the more I move up in squat weight the more my lower back hurts. I've been stretching out my lower back, legs, hamstrings, lats, back, hip flexor, and glutes but I'm still getting either pain or some sort of compression feeling. I've had trainers look at my form and they say it's fine. My back isn't curling and my ass is going lower than my knees. I'm not doing ass to grass or a super super wide stance.

I think I'm gonna invest in a weightlifting belt. Its so hard to try and find information about belts or even weight lifting form. Every single trainer and resource online has different definitions of what is good or bad for you.

I'm still a beginner and I've been building my lifting weight up slowly over time so that my form good. I always stretch before I lift and work my way up slowly to the weight that I'm working at that day.

Its just so frustrating to talk to a trainer then talk to another and get almost a completely different awnser on some things.

despire

Man no matter what I do the more I move up in squat weight the more my lower back hurts. I've been stretching out my lower back, legs, hamstrings, lats, back, hip flexor, and glutes but I'm still getting either pain or some sort of compression feeling. I've had trainers look at my form and they say it's fine. My back isn't curling and my ass is going lower than my knees. I'm not doing ass to grass or a super super wide stance.

I think I'm gonna invest in a weightlifting belt. Its so hard to try and find information about belts or even weight lifting form. Every single trainer and resource online has different definitions of what is good or bad for you.

I'm still a beginner and I've been building my lifting weight up slowly over time so that my form good. I always stretch before I lift and work my way up slowly to the weight that I'm working at that day.

Its just so frustrating to talk to a trainer then talk to another and get almost a completely different awnser on some things.

Maybe you should post a video here.

Chocobro

One of the staff members came up to me saying that there has been a complaint (or complaints, I forget) that I'm using the power rack for too long, 1.5H long. Also said that I need to let other people use it when they ask.

Interesting that for the last 2 months or so since I joined this gym, no one asked me if they can work in.

---------------------
Fox318, where exactly in your lower back? I had that happen to me except I go near ATG and I have the pain next to my tailbone. Based on what research I did and self-experimenting, it's SI joint pain for me.

sphinx

the piano man
One of the staff members came up to me saying that there has been a complaint (or complaints, I forget) that I'm using the power rack for too long, 1.5H long. Also said that I need to let other people use it when they ask.

Interesting that for the last 2 months or so since I joined this gym, no one asked me if they can work in.

is that the truth?

cause if it is, that's definitely too long for a commercial gym, even worse if there's only one power rack there.

my gym has only 1 and in 1.5h, al least 5 guys will be done using the power rack.

I'd like to cut some fat and just get a bit leaner (yes, I'm starting to eat better as well). I'm not particularly overweight or anything, but I want to get fit, rather than my current status of 'overwhelmingly average'. I'd like to get down to 165ish, if that's a reasonable goal, and gain some strength.
If you do strength training you will be more than 165, lean. I'm 5'10" and if I weighed 165 I would look like the visible man.

Do Starting Strength, as described in the OP. If your gym doesn't have bumper plates for power cleans do some rows instead. Starting Strength is a quick, 3 times a week workout that will get your noob muscles plus quite a bit more. Do not start with all kinds of weight. Do not go up if the last couple of reps are slow. You want it to be easy at first. The weeks go by quick and the weight adds up quickly. I didn't get off of SS until I was squatting 260 and doing it every other day was getting me nowhere but sore.

BumRush

---------------------
Fox318, where exactly in your lower back? I had that happen to me except I go near ATG and I have the pain next to my tailbone. Based on what research I did and self-experimenting, it's SI joint pain for me.

Do you actually use it for 1.5 hours though dude?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

http://www.inzernet.com/

My customer satisfaction with my red 10mm single pronge belt is a 10/10.

Chocobro

is that the truth?

cause if it is, that's definitely too long for a commercial gym, even worse if there's only one power rack there.

my gym has only 1 and in 1.5h, al least 5 guys will be done using the power rack.

Do you actually use it for 1.5 hours though dude?

OHP and bench takes 30 minutes, squats are about the same or 45 minutes long if I'm close to my 5RM.
There are two power racks and there's no one waiting to use the power racks during the nights. Everyone is either using machines or benching.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Gonna start my second cut, went from 205 to 190 in my first cut. Gained 5 pounds trying to maintain my weight for 3 months until tomorrow, where I will cut again. I weigh 195 now and hoping by the end of June I can get to 180. Hold me FitGAF, I'm gonna finally be working out for a year and see myself in a much slimmer figure at the end of this and I don't wanna screw this up!

Question though, I started implementing dips (makes you feel like a beast lol), my center chest starts to hurt and I make sure that I flare my elbows a bit. People say I might be pulling a nerve or maybe its cause I just started doing dips, any suggestions?

Visceir

OHP and bench takes 30 minutes, squats are about the same or 45 minutes long if I'm close to my 5RM.
There are two power racks and there's no one waiting to use the power racks during the nights. Everyone is either using machines or benching.

If you don't think you did anything wrong then just forget what the staff member said and carry on as you were. Obviously it has bothered someone enough to go complain to the staff though.

Personally, if it took me 45+ min to get my squats done I'd probably reconsider my programming but this is coming from someone who cares little for squats to begin with.

SeanR1221

About a month into just making overall better choices in what I eat. Feeling a heck of a lot less bloated.

Going to incorporate what I read in the Renaissance book and kick things up a notch. I already got Gatorade to drink during my workout and some sugary cereal immediately following. Can't wait.

Then that is code for "someone in that staff doesnt like the cut of your jib".

If you care, could always do the OHP and the bench without the power rack, no?

Bowser

Heavy OHP outside of a power rack can be dangerous IMO. He could def bench on actual benches instead of inside a power rack though.

Chocobro

I don't know. I rarely see that guy in the staff.
- I can bench in the regular bench setup but I don't like having a random spot me. It's not 100% they'll follow my request, but if I'm using the power rack, it's always 100%.
- I can have the bar for OHP outside of the power rack since they have two sets of hooks, but I'll be facing the mirror and I don't do compound lifts in front of mirrors. Plus I don't think reracking the weight while walking backwards is safe. Not worth cleaning the weight because this gym doesn't have 10# or 25# bumper plates like in the university gym I went to.

Overall, I can't wait to have a home gym.

I'm just going to continue as is. Too bad this gym isn't like my university gym; university gym is almost superior in every single way compared to my current gym.

Fox318

YLhXvZu.jpg

Right there for me. I'm also getting a sensation of like a spring being compressed in my back after my lifts. Not sure if that's normal or not. I don't have the feeling when I'm lifting lighter or warming up.
http://www.inzernet.com/

My customer satisfaction with my red 10mm single pronge belt is a 10/10.
I saw somebody in my gym with the lever belt. Looked legit.

I've heard that Best Belts. is good as well. Only issues is both take a long time to deliver.

I tried a belt on at a Dick's but its a traditional lifting belt. Everyone and their mother has steered me towards powerlifting belts. I mean most stores just have that Nike foam belt in stock or a traditional harbinger padded belt which felt kinda cheap.

SeanR1221

I don't know. I rarely see that guy in the staff.
- I can bench in the regular bench setup but I don't like having a random spot me. It's not 100% they'll follow my request, but if I'm using the power rack, it's always 100%.
- I can have the bar for OHP outside of the power rack since they have two sets of hooks, but I'll be facing the mirror and I don't do compound lifts in front of mirrors. Plus I don't think reracking the weight while walking backwards is safe. Not worth cleaning the weight because this gym doesn't have 10# or 25# bumper plates like in the university gym I went to.

Overall, I can't wait to have a home gym.

I'm just going to continue as is. Too bad this gym isn't like my university gym; university gym is almost superior in every single way compared to my current gym.

I say fuck it and keep lifting. People can work in at any time and it's not like you're doing curls in there.

I hate commercial gyms.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hello, FitGaf!

New here, please be nice :x

Guess I'll start with the first post thing:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: Fluctuates between 180-190
Goal: Lose weight/lean up
Current Training Schedule: 3/4 days, I guess? Explained below
Current Training Equipment Available: Gym
Comments: v

I've kinda been waffling about poking my head in here for the last week and a half or so, which pretty much sums up my fitness habits for the past few years. But, I've decided I want to actually commit to getting into a routine and make something happen. Figure posting here could help keep me motivated to keep going, if nothing else.

To sum things up, I've worked out for brief stretches over the past few years, but the hard part's always been hitting that point where I want to go consistently. Part of that is work being mentally draining or just time consuming (I'm a still fairly fresh-out-of-college journalist at an understaffed small-town paper, so calling my work schedule hectic would be an understatement at times). And part of that is that I'm just self-conscious and don't like working out around a lot of people because I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing.

Well, my gym switched to being a 24-hour place a few months back, so that helps with both of those. The other part to overcome was just laziness. Decided to get over that, and I've been going more consistently over the last 2.5-3 weeks. Hardest part is usually getting my ass out the door, when I have a day when I'm tired and just want to stay home, but I find that I really do feel better when I go. I even enjoy the soreness afterward, oddly enough. Makes me feel like I did something.

That brings me to where I am now. For the most part I've just been trying to take things slowly while I'm getting used to going. I'm not concerned about blowing the doors of the gym, I just want to get into the habit of going regularly and getting comfortable without hurting myself, then pick thins up in steps, I guess.

I try to go at least three times a week, though I'd prefer four, I think. Still learning to bounce it around my scheduling. I usually go late at night.

I'd like to cut some fat and just get a bit leaner (yes, I'm starting to eat better as well). I'm not particularly overweight or anything, but I want to get fit, rather than my current status of 'overwhelmingly average'. I'd like to get down to 165ish, if that's a reasonable goal, and gain some strength. I tend to workout alone, and tend to use dumbells or machines for most of my exercises outside of some presses, so I've shied away from trying to do too much with too much weight to avoid hurting myself (as in I do enough to challenge myself, but I'm not trying to impress anyone, if that makes sense?). Though I started doing a bit of squatting when I did legs this past Thursday. They're harder than they look. Might try to suggested routine in the first post now that I've seen it.

Aaaanyway, I'm not sure if that rambling's of use to any of you, but I feel like I needed to actually put that up somewhere ha. Open to any tips you guys might have to offer a new guy. Got a baseball game to go watch, but I'll poke around later this evening.

Welcome pal. Are you just "starting" to eat better or you ARE? Bust ass on diet, the body is an honest machine and will give you back what you put into it.

Get a notepad, a notebook, and start tracking what you lift, and make your numbers increase every time. If you're eating enough and sleeping enough they will climb, and it's very rewarding.

OP is key. You've looked at it, but you should study it. We're here for you pal. And remember, anytime you feel like you don't have time to get to the gym?

This motherfucker manages to put his time in. If he can make the time you can.
zvhSSK7.jpg

thomaser

I've been plagued with tightness in the groin/hip area on the left side for years. I've tried to find out exactly which muscle or joint it is, with no luck. The tightness seems to come from where the thighbone is fastened to the groin area, on the inside.

Doing the "frog" stretch helps a little, but it's not enough. Does anyone know which muscle or joint or ligament this might be, or ways to loosen it up? I've looked at all sorts of images and drawings, but can't figure it out. Can it be the pectineus muscle? Or the gracilis? I don't think it's the piriformis.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

You're doing all those exercises in one work out?

Sadetar

Awesome day today, definitely going to hit gym tomorrow. I think my meds are finally kicking in and I haven't felt any kind of pain during the whole day! So far so good... Even though my supervisor decided to (again) inform me that I am having inappropriate clothing for museum environment. According to her I am either having too revealing neckline, too short skirt (this time it was this) or just too thight clothing. I just can't win.

Looking like shit to me would be not having acceptable progress in a 3-4 month cut. I am not trying to be shredded but hovering around 10-12% bf seems perfectly reasonable. Basically, if I don't get down to that level, I would be really embarrassed. And June because it is summer time. Just something that I always tried to aim for.
...Suddenly my goals to hit 30% bf some day in the following decade seems so dull.
Sadly I am not even making jokes - that is a real deal.

The problem with legs and leg days is that it is kind of unrewarding in the immediate term.

.- it can be incredibly taxing, just doing a couple of sets of squats nearing failure can beat you up. Add any accessory (for example leg extensions) afterwards and you'll be begging for mercy. And problem is, there's a shitton of accesory for legs (leg extension, leg curl, abductor, adductor, calves, stiff-legged DL, glutes, )

.- if you are into the vanity thing and like looking at the mirror, you'll be pissed the whole session cause the pump is in the lower body, you'll be looking at your smallest the hole time on your upper body. (I admit this is very childish, but it has happened to me. of course I get over myself)

.- in my personal case, my efforts regarding nutrition hardly pay off in my legs. All size, both on fat and muscle, goes to my upper body, maybe my age is a factor (37). My legs have always remained lean, I have a nice quad form but they never look bulky.

.- Most people don't care for your legs. Only guys actually serious about the discipline appreciate a balanced body. Most will think "good for you" and move on. Guns and chest though, it's "OMG you're so alpha, I wanna be you"
I am the same as you - I am and I have always been "top heavy", but the thing is I don't appreciate it on myself at all. I generally feel like I am more or less lollipop shaped human being and it doesn't really suit me.

I do think that legs with muscles look extremely nice (when it is balanced with a trained upper body). I would totally love my torso to get smaller so my legs would look bigger in comparison. That would make me oh so happy even if people wouldn't generally even care for the legs.

About a month into just making overall better choices in what I eat. Feeling a heck of a lot less bloated.

Going to incorporate what I read in the Renaissance book and kick things up a notch. I already got Gatorade to drink during my workout and some sugary cereal immediately following. Can't wait.
Thanks Sean - you are looking great! That photo just motivated me to try to get my shit diet in order no matter how much stress and discomfort I am dealing at the moment. If you can do it, I can do it.
(Will you hold my hand? Pretty please.)

Gonna start my second cut, went from 205 to 190 in my first cut. Gained 5 pounds trying to maintain my weight for 3 months until tomorrow, where I will cut again. I weigh 195 now and hoping by the end of June I can get to 180. Hold me FitGAF, I'm gonna finally be working out for a year and see myself in a much slimmer figure at the end of this and I don't wanna screw this up!
*holds you nice and thight*

Hello, FitGaf!
Hello there and welcome!

Like people have said, just follow the OP and you will be golden.

Ooh and take loads and loads of awesome progress pics to share us when the time comes!

Awesome day today, definitely going to hit gym tomorrow. I think my meds are finally kicking in and I haven't felt any kind of pain during the whole day! So far so good... Even though my supervisor decided to (again) inform me that I am having inappropriate clothing for museum environment. According to her I am either having too revealing neckline, too short skirt (this time it was this) or just too thight clothing. I just can't win.

Invest in a burqa. Hope the point doesn't go over her head.
Maaan, woulda been easier if she was male. One word to HR and she'd never mention clothes again.

Oblivion

No. I'm doing Phraks' GSLP program but on 2 days/week. OHP + squat on Friday night and BP + DL on Sunday morning.
I meant to say OHP and BP each takes about 30 minutes.

Yeah that's what I thought. Just makin' sure!

Sadetar

Invest in a burqa. Hope the point doesn't go over her head.
Maaan, woulda been easier if she was male. One word to HR and she'd never mention clothes again.
Hahah. Burqa starts to sound like an awesome solution.

I am just honestly going to add shorts under my skirt so she doesn't need to worry will I accidentally "flash" the upper parts of my thighs.

None of my male supervisors have ever said anything about my clothes but three 40+ females have definitely been giving me hard time. I guess I just never learn.

SeanR1221

Thanks guys. Gonna keep it up until May, do a maintenance phase, then proper mass phase. I wanna dial this in like my lifting.

Sadetar, you got this! Just track, it makes it much easier. I'm not starving myself or anything just more conscious of my intake and macros.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

I am just honestly going to add shorts under my skirt so she doesn't need to worry will I accidentally "flash" the upper parts of my thighs.

None of my male supervisors have ever said anything about my clothes but three 40+ females have definitely been giving me hard time. I guess I just never learn.
Sounds like a case of insecure jealousy to me. Take it as confirmation that you be lookin good!

Oblivion

They just be hatin'. Which proves your doing something right. You looked great in your last progress pic..

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Difference in results between last year and this years cut is cool to see.

I have better muscularity at 180lb on a cut that has me eating 1g protein per lbm, versus last year where I didn't really track protein, where I ended up at 160lb. I'm able to fit in the same jeans I did at 160lb at 180lb now. It's blowing my mind.

Sadetar

Thanks guys. Gonna keep it up until May, do a maintenance phase, then proper mass phase. I wanna dial this in like my lifting.

Sadetar, you got this! Just track, it makes it much easier. I'm not starving myself or anything just more conscious of my intake and macros.
Thanks for the reassuring words! :)

I know I need to do it like that again. Now I have been just too busy with everything (work, thesis and other stuff) that I have failed to prepare food when I am not hungry and when I already really need something I just get what is easily available already which usually isn't the best choice. My daily schedules have been just so awful that some days I wake up at 6 am and some days at 6 pm. I guess I just need to start to think way ahead.

Sounds like a case of insecure jealousy to me. Take it as confirmation that you be lookin good!
They just be hatin'. Which proves your doing something right. You looked great in your last progress pic..
Awwwwwww. You two just made my day! ^_^

I admit that I have been even more critical towards myself than I normally am so your words hit the target. This week I have eaten worse than even during Christmas and I am definitely feeling bloated. Missing gym the whole week, eating cookies for lunch, chocolate bar for dinner (I have run out of Quest bars) and then eating plain chicken breast too tired/busy to do anything with it at the evening just to meet my protein needs. The idea of somebody being insecure about that is beyond me, but I will start to think it that way just to feel better. :p Thank you!

I will be back on track tomorrow and since the pain is gone I will also be going to the gym. I honestly can't wait for that since my body really needs it and my mind craves it. I have noticed that working out keeps me more focused, makes me feel better about myself, feels good and helps with the stress as well.

Difference in results between last year and this years cut is cool to see.

I have better muscularity at 180lb on a cut that has me eating 1g per lbm, versus last year where I didn't really track protein, where I ended up at 160lb. I'm able to fit in the same jeans I did at 160lb at 180lb now. It's blowing my mind.
That is so awesome! Congratulations! :D

Any chances of seeing photo comparisons since they are always totally cool?

Sadetar

Isn't 30% bf for women quite reasonable? Women who compete in bb are around 15% or so if I am not mistaken.
Well, I certainly hope so. At the moment I am still faaaaaaaaaaar from it.

I think that 21-24 % bf is somewhat average so 30 % bf would be a bit extra. When I get there, I will see what I think about it and do I need to rethink it, but generally I don't mind a bit softness over the muscles on women. It just depends where it ends up being... so yeah. We will see. It is still my goal at the moment. :D

Edit, I still need to add that your summer goal yet sounds so much better. ;)

Sadetar

I just randomly need to add that I think that this week's awful diet has partly been due to lack of sleep as stupid as it may sound. Night pain on top of too much things to do have just summed up to under 5 hours sleep per day which is too little for me. When I am totally tired (and also stressed) I think that my ability to think straight and say no to things just goes to zero. Is it just me?

All ninja'ed from here.
Awesome ninja skills, you are a sweetheart! Thank you! :D

Why would you buy dumb bells that are so light? When it's time to do my home gym, I'm going to be sure my adjustable dumb bells go up to 120 or so. I have no plans of peaking anytime soon.
On the subject of dumbbells, I've got the old fashioned cast iron sort, and thanks to years of collecting them, I've got LOADS of them.

Right now they're set up for a range of 6kg (13lbs) to 30kg (66lbs). Not really doing any exercises that require any more right now, but if I do, I can just throw a couple more plates on as required. Not that I'm ever going anywhere near 120lbs for anything other than shrugs. lol

I did try some of the adjustable lot some time ago, but never really got on with them. I understand they're a lot better these days, but I'd already built up such a big collection of dumbbells that there wasn't really any point spending such a big amount any more.

ILoveBish

On the subject of dumbbells, I've got the old fashioned cast iron sort, and thanks to years of collecting them, I've got LOADS of them.

Right now they're set up for a range of 6kg (13lbs) to 30kg (66lbs). Not really doing any exercises that require any more right now, but if I do, I can just throw a couple more plates on as required. Not that I'm ever going anywhere near 120lbs for anything other than shrugs. lol

I did try some of the adjustable lot some time ago, but never really got on with them. I understand they're a lot better these days, but I'd already built up such a big collection of dumbbells that there wasn't really any point spending such a big amount any more.

Yah, my plan is cast iron dumbbell set that you just manually adjust.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
First week back doing legs in last 5 months. Can't even squat 105 lol

Sigh road back to form will be awhile

The strength will come back in no time, but I bet you're barely going to be able to walk for a few days if it's your first time squatting in a few months.

RoeBear

Good luck on the diet Sean and Sadetar.

I just had a horrible weekend. Ate buffalo wild wings on Saturday then a burger and fries on Sunday. Didn't meet my calories since I wasn't feeling good and have no real food till my paycheck comes Tuesday.I feel super small and insecure right now, and I hate how much 30 grams of almond butter actually turns out to be. Sorry for the pity party.

Does anyone have a good pre workout to recommend without creatine? If not I'm just going to buy caffeine and beta alanine separate.

MrMuscle

Hope everybody had a great weekend.

My slow cut is going great and after getting rid of my leg fur, my quads has started popping as well. My weight hasnt really moved much, but ive lost a couple of cm on my waist and a couple of mm on the calipers all over. Strength still keep increasing on everything except some pressing movements. That has always been my weakness with these long ass limbs.

ILoveBish

Dat corned beef stood no chance. It was amazing. Coupled with a Greek salad, unstoppable. I have my niece staying with me all week, so food and sleep are going to be spotty at best. It's all good tho.

Hope everybody had a great weekend.

My slow cut is going great and after getting rid of my leg fur, my quads has started popping as well. My weight hasnt really moved much, but ive lost a couple of cm on my waist and a couple of mm on the calipers all over. Strength still keep increasing on everything except some pressing movements. That has always been my weakness with these long ass limbs.

I love your dedication to staying lean all the time. It's my goal as well once I get as lean as you, to never not be lean again. I hope to see that day.

I just had a horrible weekend. Ate buffalo wild wings on Saturday then a burger and fries on Sunday

I ate like complete shit yesterday. Was feeling terrible after Saturday's charity event and there was no way I was going to stick to eating to macros / calories for the day.

Had a full large bag of potato chips in about half an hour. That's about 1,000kcal on its own and probably about three days worth of salt. Also ate a share size bag of peanut M&Ms, had a huge (more than one plate) Chinese meal and finished it all off with an ice cream.

All told, I'd be very surprised if I didn't hit 5k or 6k calories... but then I did burn nearly 8.5k calories the day before so I'm not going to feel too bad about it. ;)

MrMuscle

I love your dedication to staying lean all the time. It's my goal as well once I get as lean as you, to never not be lean again. I hope to see that day.

Thanks brother. Looking forward to see what you can accomplish.

I ate like complete shit yesterday. Was feeling terrible after Saturday's charity event and there was no way I was going to stick to eating to macros / calories for the day.

Had a full large bag of potato chips in about half an hour. That's about 1,000kcal on its own and probably about three days worth of salt. Also ate a share size bag of peanut M&Ms, had a huge (more than one plate) Chinese meal and finished it all off with an ice cream.

All told, I'd be very surprised if I didn't hit 5k or 6k calories... but then I did burn nearly 8.5k calories the day before so I'm not going to feel too bad about it. ;)

With all the hours of cardio you should be on a Seefood diet for at least a day or two :D

RoeBear

Yeah you deserved all that. I literally did nothing all weekend except sleep and be sick.

Heysoos

What the hell.. I was 195.6 on Friday when I weighed in and now I'm suddenly 203.2. I know your weight fluctuates and I didn't have the cleanest Saturday, but almost an 8lb difference doesnt really make sense to me. Kind fucks with my confidence pretty badly after working pretty hard to break through 197. Makes me feel like I shouldn't even go out because this shit will happen again and ends up feeling like I'm working for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom