• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Awesome work on those squats^

365/375/385x8 for my hypertrophy today. Skipped front squats and just went heavier on my BS sets instead of 345.

Powercast

I wouldn't consider it "small stuff" though and throwing in some arm/ab exercises at the end of the workout is easy enough.

It's just weird to see people here discouraging new people from doing them when everyone here does them.

I agree. I think a beginner can really benefit from adding some form of upperback/bicep/core work.

rokkerkory

Best brand of knee compression folks?

Going through continued healing of my MCL sprain a few months ago and wanted a bit of added support.

thanks

SeanR1221

I like curls because they make me feel good. The pump you get on an arm day, yes an arm day, feels great and looks great. When I'm having shitty ruts and don't feel like hitting the gym I am that guy that will just hit arms because it's easy, feels good, and gets me going.

It's when you begin to neglect more important routines or exercises to focus on overtraining small muscle groups that it's a problem.

More on topic. I don't see the problem with adding a little isolation work, if anything to get more accustomed to the exercises and its variants for later down the road, but if you're beginning you don't really need it much either. It really depends on your long term goals.

Yup which is why I had said to not sweat it. It's not going to hurt but it really shouldn't be a big worry when just starting out.

Guess we'll all have to disagree, but at the same time it's good for a beginner to get various view points/outlooks.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Grip training seriously paying off. Went from being able to deadlift 240 for one rep using a double overhand grip two weeks ago to deadlifting 255 for four reps using double overhand just now.

Fox318

When it comes do deadlift grip types is there any disadvantage to using a double overhand?

I've heard Its good to alternate but that's it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Quick question. As I've mentioned before, I've been on GSLP, and I'm wondering when are you supposed to deload? Is it after the first failed attempt or two failed attempts?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
When it comes do deadlift grip types is there any disadvantage to using a double overhand?

Yeah, as you progress in weight it is a weaker grip than mixed.

ILoveBish

I use double overhand on my 3 warm up sets, then mixed + chalk + belt on the working sets. Once you ramp up the weight, mixed grip is really a lot better.

Chocobro

Quick question. As I've mentioned before, I've been on GSLP, and I'm wondering when are you supposed to deload? Is it after the first failed attempt or two failed attempts?

First failed attempt.

Example: Day 1 you got 5 on AMRAP squats, and Day 3 you got 4 on your AMRAP squats. You reset 10% for next squat session.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'll just say that doing ss as a newbie, my arm strength kept me back on a lot of lifts. It depends on the person.

I'll add not doing bicep,work actuslly not only held me back, but caused imbalances that injured me.

Do bicep work. When you get a lot heavier, you're gonna wish you had. Biceps are massively important.

Hey Brolic, do you have any good bench cues to help you set up?

I start top down. I set my upper back pinch my shoulders together, set my feet, then kick the, back one at a time. I then drive my heels into the ground to get my arch, then I take a deep breath, unrack, take another deep breath and execute. Each rep is like the first. I don't go fast. My goal is to replicate the first rep every time.

Chocobro

I'm glad my bench setup is the same as yours, Brolic. I switched to the top-down setup a few months ago and I think it's better for me.

Also, would weighted chin-ups (2x5, 5+) be enough bicep work or would I need to throw in curls at the very end as well?

ILoveBish

There was a dude hogging the pull up bars today and i was running short on time, so i told him i would work in. I went and decided, i need to start doing dead hang pull ups to build up strength. So i got myself hanging there, and i got 3 pull ups that were super high, maybe highest I've ever done, chin over the bar easy. After the third i was done and went and did dips, which i got 2x5 and 1x4. Weigh'd in at 238.5lbs this morning, so even tho my weight went up a lb, i know its just silly fluctuation. Still feeling very strong and really feeling good about how things are going.

Going to rest up plenty this weekend, then hit up for 5s week monday.

Just starting up the 13 hours of suffering now!

First up on the block of pain: ISLAGIATT.
2 Hours of suffering to start the day!
5QY0mFm.png

There is currently a live stream that will be taking place for the remainder of the day documenting all of the pain, suffering and agony.

And all for a good cause! Please check the fund-raising link for details.

---Mid Ride Update---
Internet AND Application dropped out in the middle of the ride! Managed to get it up and running again speedily, but still a stressful way to start a very long day.

ISLAGIATT Down, after some terrifying technical issues. But we're back on the road! (figuratively).

Next up is Violator. This is one of the two to watch out for, alone this ride is able to crush a man beneath it's weight, mixed with the others? Near suicide, let's see how it ends up!

yogloo

I'm glad my bench setup is the same as yours, Brolic. I switched to the top-down setup a few months ago and I think it's better for me.

Also, would weighted chin-ups (2x5, 5+) be enough bicep work or would I need to throw in curls at the very end as well?

I'd like to know this as well.

BumRush

I start top down. I set my upper back pinch my shoulders together, set my feet, then kick the, back one at a time. I then drive my heels into the ground to get my arch, then I take a deep breath, unrack, take another deep breath and execute. Each rep is like the first. I don't go fast. My goal is to replicate the first rep every time.

Thank you! I'll have to try this.

Violator down and out. You could tell that one really hurt by the pained expression had through the entire thing! Good to get it out of the way- Only 7 left to go. Practically half way there right?

Next up is The Hunted

A solid block of pure pain and agony stretched out for just over an hour. Barely going over! But never really going under either, just a sheer stream of agony after pain. All for the good of charity!

----Update----

The Hunted has been hunted. Breaks are starting to get hard to fit into the ten minute allowed period, but still managing to get on the bike with plenty of time to spare!
Next up is something we shouldn't talk about but will anyway.
Deceptive with it's long 'rest periods' Fight Club is no joke, taking everything you have for long periods of time over the threshold. This one's going to be quite the agonizing experience!

Next Update on progress, five out of ten down.

Fight Club down and out with a knock-out performance, starting to get blurred attention in-between sections now, just doing the best to follow instructions on the screen and make it through to the other end!

Break was a tight squeeze with not enough stretches done due to the time it took to change the leg compressors. But luckily up next we have...

There is no try. And at this point there really is no try. It's do or die. Half way in is half way too far to go to quit.

BumRush

I'd still throw in curls. I said it a page or two back, but do them in between squat sets. You're probably waiting 2-3 minutes between squats...perfect time to curl. Chin ups are excellent, but they do (at least partially) rely on your back. If your back is really strong, your biceps may not be engaged as much as you'd like. Do curls.

thomaser

There is no try. And at this point there really is no try. It's do or die. Half way in is half way too far to go to quit.

Keep it up! I can see that you're starting to get quite uncomfortable on there.

To other people in this thread, what Psychotext is doing is a major feat. He's burning calories enough for three-four marathon runs. Not to mention how excruciatingly uncomfortable it is to sit on a roller like that for a couple of hours, and he's there for 13! He'll be in a world of pain before this is over. Respect.

BumRush

To other people in this thread, what Psychotext is doing is a major feat. He's burning calories enough for three-four marathon runs. Not to mention how excruciatingly uncomfortable it is to sit on a roller like that for a couple of hours, and he's there for 13! He'll be in a world of pain before this is over. Respect.

Absolutely love psycho for it but I can't stand doing that much cardio myself so his posts sometimes make me nauseous. Great work though psycho!

Chocobro

Unless you have good bicep genetics, chances are that you'll need some form of curl to get balanced arm development.
I see. Would you say there's a bias towards triceps or biceps in the program I'm on? http://i.stack.imgur.com/OUcEY.png Doing only Day 1 and 2 though, going to add Day 3 soon with only bench/OHP and f.squats due to time constraints.
I'd still throw in curls. I said it a page or two back, but do them in between squat sets. You're probably waiting 2-3 minutes between squats...perfect time to curl. Chin ups are excellent, but they do (at least partially) rely on your back. If your back is really strong, your biceps may not be engaged as much as you'd like. Do curls.
The thing is I did the program as shown above and the chin-ups fucked up my squat setup and reps because my biceps would be tight or whatever. So I moved chin-ups and rows to after squats.
Maybe a better idea for me is to curl during the rest time between backextensions sets.

Thanks a lot, really starting to feel it now. Flagging quite a bit now, had to have my second well deserved coffee.

There is no try is now out of the picture. And there really was no try, only do. Starting to run into a lot of tiredness and fatigue issues now. But going to try the hardest to push forward and reach to the end!

Next is a mixture of pain, insanity, and a touch of agony. Blender.

A needed long ride, no ride in the tour of Sufferlandria is easy, but this one acts as a very needed period of not so intense periods spread out across an entire one hour forty five minute duration.

Let's see what concoction we end up with when it this draws to a finish and we take off the lid.

And thanks so far for all the support!

Visceir

The thing is I did the program as shown above and the chin-ups fucked up my squat setup and reps because my biceps would be tight or whatever. So I moved chin-ups and rows to after squats.
Maybe a better idea for me is to curl during the rest time between backextensions sets.

Or just do them at the end of your workout which makes the most sense. You're supposed to rest during rest periods.

Adding 1 - 3 accessory exercises to the end of your workouts only adds an extra 10 - 20 min to your workout anyway which shouldn't be all that bad.

Update #7

That's Blender down the drain and the mix that came out was a horrifying mix of fear agony and suffering. But a mix that is pushing on just the same.

With that out of the way the next is...

A Very Dark Place...

This one has it's name for a reason, and it's quite apt for this period in the cycling, through all the pain and suffering most people's minds go to the thought of quitting, of it's too much pain. But not this day, not this time.

Onwards into the darkness!

--Delayed Update, couldn't get to the thread---

That really was a Very Dark Place, there were a lot of times during that run where it felt like there was no more to give, no more to take.

There's a light at the end of the darkness now, though that light comes out into pain and agony.

Next up - The Rookie. Number 8 in the run, one of the last of 3.

Any ride after this many hours cycling would feel like the most intense workout possible. But the Rookie does not joke around, one of feared feared ones and one to smash through right at the end.

despire

Thinking about purchasing a workout routine and diet program from a pro for a first time. Dude has some national level trophies from bodybuilding and at least benching. Also a qualified PT (I know it doesn't always mean much). Anyway I've watched some videos of his and it looks like he knows his stuff.

My only worry is that neither the program or diet would offer anything new to me. Basically that they would be something I already know or similar to what I am already doing. Anyway it wouldn't be anything spesifically tailored to me, not for this price.

Anyway I'm intrigued. Maybe I would get a kickass lifting program with a solid diet routine to get me to the next level so to speak. Or maybe I will just waste 118€..

Anyway I'm intrigued. Maybe I would get a kickass lifting program with a solid diet routine to get me to the next level so to speak. Or maybe I will just waste 118€..

No offense, but i'd bet my money on that. The value in hiring a professional usually comes from him being at your side, checking your form, offering moral support and the like (which is usually far more expensive than 118 merkels). As far as assembling a program and a diet, there are so many great resources online, including those in this very thread, that i fail to see why anyone would be compelled to spend money to acquire the info.

despire

No offense, but i'd bet my money on that. The value in hiring a professional usually comes from him being at your side, checking your form, offering moral support and the like (which is usually far more expensive than 118 merkels). As far as assembling a program and a diet, there are so many great resources online, including those in this very thread, that i fail to see why anyone would be compelled to spend money to acquire the info.

This is what I'm thinking. There is a lot different resources online and I'm familiar with many. I've read so much stuff on this matter during the last few years..

There also a part of me thinking that maybe his program would offer something I don't know yet.

Thanks for the support everyone! And don't think of it as 13 hours cardio, think of it as 13 hours of soul crushing agony.

But it turns out The Rookie didn't have enough experience to break him, who'd have thought.

Quote from the man himself
I feel glassy

And he looks it too, fragile and that few knocks from breaking apart. His fatigue is at an all time high and his motivation at an all time low, but even if he doesn't know it. I do, I know he'll get through it, even if it makes him bleed from every (yes every) hole he has in his body.

Next up. Angels

It's here we find that Angels can be Devils too. You could see a look of regret in his eyes as he saw this was the next one he was to face. The next challenge to conquer.

But I know, as soon as he's over it, he'll destroy the rest. He'll cast that Angel to the dirt. And then he'll load his six shooter to victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom