• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Yesterday was my first day, I went over with some friends but it's just a public pool, we have some equipment there like kickboards and that's basically it.

I usually tried to hit 1 hour of swimming since I'm not in good shape I could only swim for about 45 minutes and rest for about 15 not in that order.
What I would like to know is different type of swim styles? routines? the one below really helps a lot.

There are some trainers there but.. no of them where able to help at least during the "Free swimming hour" which is the time where we were told by the people there.

Thanks!

There are four different strokes: crawl, backstroke, butterfly, breaststroke. You'll probably want to stick to crawl unless you ever want to get serious about it.

There are Masters programs to get training, but they're pretty expensive in my area. You could look into introduction courses that are aimed towards beginner triathletes.

As for equipment, kickboards are good and are usually paired with fins. Likewise, you can use paddles and a leg buoy to just get the arms.

Only other advice I can think of is to be sure to use flip turns. A good flip will use your abs.

BumRush

I remember when I was starting to lift without a program, I would do those shoulder exercises, I think I'll be adding them back in. Lol, the whole reason I did Stronglifts 5X5 was because it was the shortest program, I've since added a bunch of accessory lifts and stretches and now my gym time is like 90+ minutes.

Just to be clear...I'm not advocating you ditch the program. Stick with it, but use assistance lifts to help with weak areas. If you want to send over your thoughts on what exercises to do, we could help you select the most necessary.

One question: what part of your OHP feels weakest? That will determine what exercise(s) can help you the most...

ILoveBish

Gym went great today, even tho I felt a bit beat up. Ohp with 5x140, 3x160 and 1x180. Ended it with 10x120. Eating my usual now and back to the grind.

entremet

I'll second this request. Does anyone in FitGAF use kettlebells? I just recently started looking into them.

I do. I just do swings for Tabata sets. I use very light weight since they're Tabatas.

I want to take a class when I have time and money so I can move to higher bells safetly.

Mask

Just be sure to set your parameters on MyFitnessPal properly.

1. Buy a food scale
  2. Even though you're working out, set your activity level to "sedentary."
  3. If you're doing any kind of weight training, make sure you only log active time, e.g.: time actually worked out excluding rest/down time (supersets are great in avoiding that while adding a bit of cardio to your routine). The Jefit app does a good job letting you know your actual active time when it displays your workout summary.
  4. Cardio machines often overestimate your caloric burn with the treadmill being the most accurate but even so, underestimate your calorie burn (round down); overestimate your calorie intake (round up).
  5. Set your macros properly (carbs/proteins/fats)
    [*]Buy a food scale!
  6. Sustainable change is slow, but worth it in developing good, long-term habits!

There are a lot of knowledgable people here, so take advantage of that.

Yeah, I've already ordered a food scale, and I've been looking back through people's posts in this thread. There really is a ton of useful information in here!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Great workout! Almost got everything.

Front Squat: 2x5x165lbs, 1x6x165lbs (last rep paused, PR)
DB Bench: 1x5x87.5s, 2x4x87.5s (PR)
Deadlift: 1x5x295lbs (PR)

Grip felt great.

Good god, I really need to re-evaluate the power output I'm able to do on the turbo trainer after heavy squats. That session nearly put me in the ground.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Ugh, back from my vacation and I lost 5 lbs since I didn't realize you could bring protein powder through TSA on flights. Time to get back on the grind.

Ugh, back from my vacation and I lost 5 lbs since I didn't realize you could bring protein powder through TSA on flights. Time to get back on the grind.

When I travel I package up my creatine etc in little bags (each one day worth) that look just like the sort you'd use for drugs. I'm just dying for the day I get stopped. :D

mdsfx

Two hours of exercise down, two hours to go. God I hate Tuesdays.
I like how your posts about your psychotic workouts go unanswered. I mean, how the hell do you even reply to a 4-hour workout post? "Yeah man, totally. Im 20 minutes into a 45-minute workout, so I know how you feel."

You need your own thread. UltraFit-Gaf.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm on cruise control right now. After 2 cheat days in a row I went in today and this was my workout.

Squats:

135x5
225x5
265x3
295x3
325x3
365x3x3

And I took my addipowers off and walked out. Ha

BumRush

I'm on cruise control right now. After 2 cheat days in a row I went in today and this was my workout.

Squats:

135x5
225x5
265x3
295x3
325x3
365x3x3

And I took my addipowers off and walked out. Ha

Lol. You need to join GarageGAF. Imagine just walking inside after that?

esms

Just popping in to thank you fine gents for the OP. Got back to the gym 3 weeks ago after not working out for a year and I've already put on a good ~5lbs.

Just to be clear...I'm not advocating you ditch the program. Stick with it, but use assistance lifts to help with weak areas. If you want to send over your thoughts on what exercises to do, we could help you select the most necessary.

One question: what part of your OHP feels weakest? That will determine what exercise(s) can help you the most...

Oh, I'm not ditching the program, its been amazing so far. They have accessory exercises you can do which is what I've been adding to my work outs (ab exercises, more bicep and forearm work). As for the OHP, it's getting the full range of motion once the weight goes over my head. Granted, I have pretty long arms so that could be part of the problem as well.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
One of my biggest fears in life. Once I went garage though, I never want to go back. Heading there right now!
If that's one of your biggest fears then you've got this life thing thoroughly figured out Mr. Bum.

I have an opinion question...

...tomorrow I'm due to do an hour on the turbo trainer. Should work out to be an average of 145bpm over the hour, which is roughly zone 3 for me. No weights will be done.

So treat it as a rest day (which for me means low carb), or as a workout day? I'm genuinely not sure.

BumRush

Oh, I'm not ditching the program, its been amazing so far. They have accessory exercises you can do which is what I've been adding to my work outs (ab exercises, more bicep and forearm work). As for the OHP, it's getting the full range of motion once the weight goes over my head. Granted, I have pretty long arms so that could be part of the problem as well.

Want a suggestion? Do partial rep OHP at the end of your workout with light weight, half range of motion (at the top) to failure.

BumRush

If that's one of your biggest fears then you've got this life thing thoroughly figured out Mr. Bum.

Lol, that's probably only a small part...I hate clutter.

I have an opinion question...

...tomorrow I'm due to do an hour on the turbo trainer. Should work out to be an average of 145bpm over the hour, which is roughly zone 3 for me. No weights will be done.

So treat it as a rest day (which for me means low carb), or as a workout day? I'm genuinely not sure.

Look, superman...an hour of 145 bpm is not a rest day! :)

Is white rice that terrible for you?

Every time I work out, I CRAAAVE white rice. I'm asian, kind of stopped eating rice regularly when I started college but man, I just need to scarf down rice after a workout.

despire

I'm currently weighing myself every morning and the scale is all over the place :p

Today it was 81,3kg/179lbs and yesterday it was 79,8kg/175,5lbs. On monday it was 81,2kg/178,6lbs but on sunday it was 80,3kg/176,6lbs. Waist has stayed the same or come down a bit so it's all good.

Calories and macros are constant though so it's a bit weird to see such big fluctuations.

Sad day my fit bros, injured my right quads while playing softball today. The pain is excruciating and I'm hoping I haven't torn anything. It looks like I won't be able to do any sqautting/deadlifting or much of any type of exercise that utilizes my legs for the time being. Will see how it feels tomorrow before I decide if I need to see a doctor.

Feels bad, feels real bad man.

JoeNut

Sad day my fit bros, injured my right quads while playing softball today. The pain is excruciating and I'm hoping I haven't torn anything. It looks like I won't be able to do any sqautting/deadlifting or much of any type of exercise that utilizes my legs for the time being. Will see how it feels tomorrow before I decide if I need to see a doctor.

Feels bad, feels real bad man.

Chin up! i saw a guy in my gym last week with one of those metal frames around his leg with pins going into the bones. he was going hard on sit ups, press ups, pull ups etc.
find some things you can still do and i'm sure you'll be fine

Low carb days aside, I eat white rice (specifically Basmati) pretty much every day. Hasn't stopped me looking svelte. I know people like to obsess and eat the nastiest brown wholegrain stuff they can find, but there are downsides to that too.

Same as anything really... nothing to excess.

mdsfx

Holy crap. Squatting 5x5 @ 215 today while weighing my lightest weight in 2 years (153). It's going up but feels heavy as all hell lol.

Look, superman...an hour of 145 bpm is not a rest day! :)

Don't even try. We can't get through to him.

lol, I genuinely wasn't sure whether it was supposed to mean rest from weights rather than rest from cardio. I know there are no hard and fast rules on these things so I thought I'd ask.

I'm doing GTG stuff every 45 mins today anyway so I imagine there will be at least a tiny bit of muscle repair to do.

Besides, unlike some here, I LOVE CARBS... so it works for me. :D

mdsfx

Is there a point where breaks between sets become "cheating" of sorts? I need 3+ min between these squat sets, but saying I did 5x5 seems like a bit of BS having taken such long breaks (up to 5 min).

I finished cutting on the week-end and now I'm in that awkward stage of upping calories slowly to find my maintenance level. (I basically want to maintain the weight I'm at now for the foreseeable future.)

During my cut I wasn't ever really sure if the EC stack was doing anything or if it was just a placebo effect, but these first few days off I can definitely tell it was working. On Sunday I got so tired in the middle of the afternoon, I had to take a nap.

And on work days I typically have breakfast around 6am and lunch around noon, and it's normal for me to feel a little hungry an hour or so before lunch. On Monday around 9am, hunger hit and I felt like I was starving. It almost felt like I hadn't eaten in days. It was on a completely different level than when I was on my cut.

Is white rice that terrible for you?

Every time I work out, I CRAAAVE white rice. I'm asian, kind of stopped eating rice regularly when I started college but man, I just need to scarf down rice after a workout.

If you're trying to loose weight, brown rice typically has more fibre so it's more filling than white rice, and you can get away with eating less. If you don't like the taste, you could try experimenting with seasonings. I personally like cooking rice with thyme.

EDIT
Is there a point where breaks between sets become "cheating" of sorts? I need 3+ min between these squat sets, but saying I did 5x5 seems like a bit of BS having taken such long breaks (up to 5 min).

Once you work up to weights in the 85+% 1RM range, it's not really possible to do 1-2min rests. Just the time you need. Maybe cap your rests at 5 mins if your worried about them taking too long. And remember, you don't have to rest the same amount of time between every set. You may need 4 mins between your last two sets, but if you only need a minute between your warmup sets, take a minute.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

If you're lifting heavy, take as much time as you need. I usually keep my intervals short when I'm doing volume training. But when you're talking 5 reps and down, it's not unusual to take 5minute rest periods.

I think most people tend to cap out at 5 minutes for practicality. I always wonder if there's something else I can be doing in my longer rest periods. I try to avoid doing more than 2.5 minutes generally though.

mdsfx

I think most people tend to cap out at 5 minutes for practicality. I always wonder if there's something else I can be doing in my longer rest periods. I try to avoid doing more than 2.5 minutes generally though.

I usually don't rest more than 2 minutes, except leg day. This weight is pushing it for me...

mdsfx

Finished leg day off with a psychotext, nap-time recumbent cycle. 20 minutes at 12/20 resistance at 95+ rpm. Says 500 calories, but in 20 minutes? I call BS.

Azulsky

I usually rest equally for volume and heavy sets. The actual time just depends on what kind of exercise. Yesterday for 20 rep squat sets it was like 3 min and that's by far my longest. With smaller muscle groups like a preacher curl its less.

Maybe the guys I am used to working out with are just endurance monsters.

Nap time recumbent cycle is my jam but I have been using those Precor AMTs whenever I can get a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom