• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

Yeah, you need to get on that slim fit game for your dress shirts and dress pants (if possible). Don't be wearing the shirt tents that most people do in business casual environments.

I get most of my work shirts / pants from bonobos.com. Amazing quality / customer service (free shipping and free returns, no questions asked) although it's pricey. Highly recommended if anyone here wants to look good and professional.

I get most of my work shirts / pants from bonobos.com. Amazing quality / customer service (free shipping and free returns, no questions asked) although it's pricey. Highly recommended if anyone here wants to look good and professional.

Goes to site to check out prices....

Nope, way out of my broke grad student price range. Clothes do look nice though

mdsfx

Goes to site to check out prices....

Nope, way out of my broke grad student price range. Clothes do look nice though

I wouldn't spend that much on clothes. I care enough to buy nice looking clothes, but not at those prices. Maybe if I was still chasing girls I would feel different.

I wouldn't spend that much on clothes. I care enough to buy nice looking clothes, but not at those prices. Maybe if I was still chasing girls I would feel different.

look good, feel good. feel good, play good.

not everything has to do with chasing girls, being in the bb/lifting lifestyle should be proof enough :p

mdsfx

look good, feel good. feel good, play good.

not everything has to do with chasing girls, being in the bb/lifting lifestyle should be proof enough :p
Sorry that wasn't meant to be a knock on people who enjoy wearing quality clothing. That's just what my main motivator was for doing so in the past.

ILoveBish

Sorry that wasn't meant to be a knock on people who enjoy wearing quality clothing. That's just what my main motivator was for doing so in the past.

Proper fitting clothes doesn't have to be expensive. Find clothes you like at prices you like and go to a tailor. Get your wardrobe fitted to you. It makes all the difference.

BumRush

Today I wore flip flops, a tank, and shorts into work.

Sometimes its great working for a small, hippy company.

I've been wearing the same style of clothes to work (nice business casual / business attire) that I actually feel comfortable in slacks and a button down.

Definitely not chasing girls anymore but need to look good / put together. I recently was on an assignment for a year where I reported to the CFO. I didn't wear a suit but I had to wear as close to a suit as humanly possible.

Azulsky

Fancy clothes shopping is all about waiting for the sales.

For instance, Banana Republic has 40% off pants right now.

I actually need to re wardrobe this winter. Pants selection is easy, shirts are hard

BumRush

I actually need to re wardrobe this winter. Pants selection is easy, shirts are hard

Agreed on BR. Good quality and great sales.

ILoveBish

I'm almost at the point where I can buy a wardrobe. I wear shorts and tank to work everyday, but I love to dress nice. I just need my body shape to be more where I want to keep it at, then I can go and buy a bunch of nice dress clothes and get it all fitted. There is nothing like having everything fitted to you exactly.

SeanR1221

My latest favorite V necks are the Uniqlo Supima cotton shirts. They don't stretch, hold up in the wash on delicate AND repel sweat.

it's like my dream shirt.

BumRush

My latest favorite V necks are the Uniqlo Supima cotton shirts. They don't stretch, hold up in the wash on delicate AND repel sweat.

it's like my dream shirt.

Last fashion comment for me (probably) but agreed...I have like 14 short sleeve supimas and a few long sleeves lol.

J. Bravo

my family has been doing planks the last 2 days. just 1 max plank. idk why. just for fun i guess. yesterday i got 1:17 and today i got 2:05. honestly I could probably get to 3:00, but I clearly, desperately, need to work on my core strength.

BumRush

There is no reason to rush yourself on heavy sets. Its about lifting the weight to your fullest, not beating some clock. I'm somewhere between 3-5 usually.

Psycho or one of the other science guys might know more but wouldn't 10 minute rests begin to have a negative impact as your muscles have time to cool down? You'd almost need a warmup set between sets if you're waiting 10 minutes.

There's no point in going that long anyway unless your cardio vascular fitness is garbage (cooldown and injuries aside). Your body fully replenishes your Phosphagen stores (for recovery of ATP) in about three minutes, which means that tiredness aside, you're good to go.

ILoveBish

There's no point in going that long anyway unless your cardio vascular fitness is garbage (cooldown and injuries aside). Your body fully replenishes your Phosphagen stores (for recovery of ATP) in about three minutes, which means that tiredness aside, you're good to go.

Interesting. I find if I wait too long, I'm not as strong. Have to get up to pace again.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

Interesting! My cardiovascular fitness was pretty garbage, and I've noticed less tiredness between sets. Good to know about the ATP thing.

So after doing 1x5 deadlifts last night (for the first time) with fairly light weight, my lower back has a kind of tight feeling, doesn't hurt at all. Made sure I kept my back neutral whilst doing it.

Quick Google seems to be about normal, any thoughts?

BumRush

So after doing 1x5 deadlifts last night (for the first time) with fairly light weight, my lower back has a kind of tight feeling, doesn't hurt at all. Made sure I kept my back neutral whilst doing it.

Man, this one's tough. What's fairly light? Did you warm up? How 'tight'? Etc.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

Lower back is the weak link in the deadlift movement and gets overtaxed. As such that feeling is normal, but if your form is good I don't think there's much risk of injury.

I'll leave this here for you:
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/bulletproof-lower-back/

There's a lot out there on the best way to train the lower back. Good mornings is what I've started adding, but stiff leg and Romanian deadlifts are also out there and recommended by many for differing reasons and goals. Good mornings in the link is recommended for beginners, though obviously I didn't do that and can't speak to it.

http://imgur.com/a/AzoKA

Changes with quest bars it seems. Nothing major tho.
Yeah they changed to corn fiber, the mint's have been made with corn fiber since release. They have changing flavors slowly for a while (Cookie Dough changed made people actually notice). People think it has to do with the testing results controversy and how the EU treats IMO's products.

http://blog.questnutrition.com/benefits-of-soluble-corn-fiber/

They have been kind of quiet about the change

ILoveBish

Yeah they changed to corn fiber, the mint's have been made with corn fiber since release. They have changing flavors slowly for a while (Cookie Dough changed made people actually notice). People think it has to do with the testing results controversy and how the EU treats IMO's products.

http://blog.questnutrition.com/benefits-of-soluble-corn-fiber/

They have been kind of quiet about the change

I wonder if the new version will kick me out of ketosis like the old one did. Might have to grab a bar, for science.

Man, this one's tough. What's fairly light? Did you warm up? How 'tight'? Etc.

40kg/88lb. Did it after 5x5 squats/OHP. Not really tight, I think it's more the fact I can feel my lower back, so it's probably just the muscles not being used to it. Probably over reacting just rather be safe then sorry.

Lower back is the weak link in the deadlift movement and gets overtaxed. As such that feeling is normal, but if your form is good I don't think there's much risk of injury.

I'll leave this here for you:
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/bulletproof-lower-back/

There's a lot out there on the best way to train the lower back. Good mornings is what I've started adding, but stiff leg and Romanian deadlifts are also out there and recommended by many for differing reasons and goals. Good mornings in the link is recommended for beginners, though obviously I didn't do that and can't speak to it.

Yeah I've been doing a bit of reading and lower back problems seem to be causing me to over worry.

Lunar FC

First time poster here. Are their any other Jawbone Up users in this thread? Ive been using it for almost 2 years now but have never really followed anybody else. Would be cool to see some other gaffers data.

ILoveBish

Was wondering why i stopped sleeping as well as usual... I forgot to install F.Lux after i installed windows 10 lol. Hopefully i'll get back to good sleep again now that i realized it.

Went to a Banana Republic for the first time ever a few weeks ago. They don't have anything in my size -__-

If I'm feeling fancy, I go to Macy's

despire

Ugh, why is it so damn hard to get Yohimbine HCL in Europe? Everythings banned nowadays..

I could get it from the US but there's the problem of customs and taxes if I order any reasonable amount. Also they might confiscate it if they realize it's Yohimbine. Many of the bigger/reliable US online retailers (Amazon, BB.com) won't ship this stuff to Europe. Some other places will but it takes ages or costs a fortune.. Sure I could only order one package with the cheapest postage, therefore skipping the customs payments but the postage would still be unreasonable for such a small amount. Or it would take a month to get here. And there's still the change of confiscation if they write "Yohimbine HCL" on the package.

Should've bought some when I was in the states last time ffs

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Was wondering why i stopped sleeping as well as usual... I forgot to install F.Lux after i installed windows 10 lol. Hopefully i'll get back to good sleep again now that i realized it.

How could you forget lol. Anytime I have flux turned off my monitors burn my eyes with the intensity of a thousand suns or so it feels like.

BumRush

40kg/88lb. Did it after 5x5 squats/OHP. Not really tight, I think it's more the fact I can feel my lower back, so it's probably just the muscles not being used to it. Probably over reacting just rather be safe then sorry.

I always DL first and I always do a warm up set (lower weight, slow up and down). After squats and OHP your legs and back (and grip) have been through a lot

Kopite

I've got a skinny frame but a bit of a belly. I've been on a bulking routine for the past few weeks but I wanna know how to get rid of my belly fat. Should I do a lot of cardio as well? Would that adversely affect my muscle gain?

It's going to be extremely difficult to bulk and lose fat. Get to somewhere near where you want to with the muscles, then lose the fat. I've done multiple bulk / cut cycles and I'm only recently getting close to where I want to be... I still think I'd be too scrawny if I went low enough to completely rid myself of stomach fat.

(and yes, too much cardio will hurt your gainz, take it from someone that does a shitload of it)

despire

I've got a skinny frame but a bit of a belly. I've been on a bulking routine for the past few weeks but I wanna know how to get rid of my belly fat. Should I do a lot of cardio as well? Would that adversely affect my muscle gain?

IMO if you are just beginning weight training (are you?), you should eat around maintenance or at slight deficit. You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

If you have training background already, then it's much harder. Basically you need to decide wether you want to bulk and get fatter or cut first.

Kopite

IMO if you are just beginning weight training (are you?), you should eat around maintenance or at slight deficit. You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time.

If you have training background already, then it's much harder. Basically you need to decide wether you want to bulk and get fatter or cut first.
Yeah first time. I'm trying to eat a lot and am drinking protein shakes but I'm pretty sure I'm not hitting my calorific surplus. So how do I lose fat, do more cardio stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom