• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

It's going to be extremely difficult to bulk and lose fat. Get to somewhere near where you want to with the muscles, then lose the fat. I've done multiple bulk / cut cycles and I'm only recently getting close to where I want to be... I still think I'd be too scrawny if I went low enough to completely rid myself of stomach fat.

(and yes, too much cardio will hurt your gainz, take it from someone that does a shitload of it)

We should add this disclaimer in the OP...I feel like the two of us say it once a day minimum.

...and no, you don't need cardio to cut fat. If you're burning more than you're eating, you'll lose fat (metabolism issues aside). Cardio burns more than weight training, so you can get away with being slightly less strict with your diet. However, weight training means you'll retain more muscle (and if you're new, possibly gain some) whilst you're at a calorific deficit.

BumRush

Perfect amount of cardio for me has been just walking on the treadmill getting work done. It's a nice extra couple miles a day.

Lately, for me, it's going for walks around the neighborhood before or after work with my wife and baby. Also, every one of my non-compound accessories has been superset, dropset or mixed with mountain climbers/burpees/etc.

ACE 1991

2 for 2 on getting my ass up for AM lifting... Gotta keep doing this until I get used to getting up early (which may never come!)

mdsfx

Going back briefly to yesterday's conversation regarding clothes. Crappy pic from the bathroom at work, but I promise the shirt is at least black/gray pinstripe. But you get my point. Just look like a skinny dude, but I'm ok with that.

6VVrM7k.jpg

BumRush

Lookin' good, Mikey. I wouldn't look at it and say you were a powerlifter but you clearly keep yourself in shape. Fuck your coworkers.

If you wear your sleeves like that usually I'd say it's obvious you lift. I still say you have an ab off with the fuckers next time they cast aspersions your way though. :D

SeanR1221

Going back briefly to yesterday's conversation regarding clothes. Crappy pic from the bathroom at work, but I promise the shirt is at least black/gray pinstripe. But you get my point. Just look like a skinny dude, but I'm ok with that.

I think you look great man. Screw those guys.

ILoveBish

i have to laugh at gaining another .6lbs again. Eating at 1750 like usual but gaining weight, y u so crazy 1s week. No biggie.

How could you forget lol. Anytime I have flux turned off my monitors burn my eyes with the intensity of a thousand suns or so it feels like.

Yah, took me a while to realize it. Was not fun.

Minor goal achieved. I never thought it would happen again given I'm no spring chicken... but I'm back to being a sub 30" waist!

Congrats.

Water weight fluctuates an average of 2% per day. If anything, it would be odd to have a continuous loss with no slight peaks.

Good, I can tell my girl that next time she asks why she went up half a pound from last week end though she's been counting calories/increasing exercise intensity like a motha

mdsfx

Yep, just have to go with it. I've never looked leaner even at the higher weight, my abs are getting easier to see everyday, definition showing better and the bottom 2 abs are starting to get defined. Really happy.
Looking forward to the hidden link with transformation pics! What you've done is pretty amazing

Azulsky

Anyone ever tried drag curls? They are supposed to be more isolating for the long head of the bicep.

Was being vain/self mirin and noticed my biceps tend to be mostly interior/short head developed. Dunno if some people are just unbalanced like that or its me being unbalanced with isolation movements or grip width.

Quest for FE arms continues.

ILoveBish

Szu

Ugh, having one of the shittiest weeks in a while. I think injury that KO MTP is contagious to me. My lower back was acting up all week, but last night was the worst. My back tighten so badly, I wouldn't even walk straight for several minutes.

It got better and I still went to the gym if only to support my wife. I was planning to do squats, so I tried a set with the bar to gauge the damage. No way, not my night.

I decided to take it easy and do some simple BW workouts. There were also a lot of eyes looking in my direction. It's like they've never seen anyone do walking dragon flags.

SeanR1221

Yep, just have to go with it. I've never looked leaner even at the higher weight, my abs are getting easier to see everyday, definition showing better and the bottom 2 abs are starting to get defined. Really happy.

I actually like seeing the increases. It helps me understand my body better you know?

Good, I can tell my girl that next time she asks why she went up half a pound from last week end though she's been counting calories/increasing exercise intensity like a motha

Definitely. And 2% is the average. It can be higher or lower under special circumstances. For example, after going to the foo fighters concert and standing in the pit for 3 hours I had a huge drop in weight.

BumRush

Ugh, having one of the shittiest weeks in a while. I think injury that KO MTP is contagious to me. My lower back was acting up all week, but last night was the worst. My back tighten so badly, I wouldn't even walk straight for several minutes.

It got better and I still went to the gym if only to support my wife. I was planning to do squats, so I tried a set with the bar to gauge the damage. No way, not my night.

I decided to take it easy and do some simple BW workouts. There were also a lot of eyes looking in my direction. It's like they've never seen anyone do walking dragon flags.

Sorry to hear that bud. I hope it's just a small tweak and you're back ASAP.

SeanR1221

Rest up man. We don't need the ghost of fitgaf to start haunting us again.

i was worried just typing that out.

This isn't good. My trainer sessions are so hard now that I'm actively dreading going to do them. =/

My hamstrings are completely screwed from deadlifting too, so this is going to suck.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
This isn't good. My trainer sessions are so hard now that I'm actively dreading going to do them. =/

My hamstrings are completely screwed from deadlifting too, so this is going to suck.
The more I read posts like these the happier I am that I've built a base up to where I'm at and just have to maintain. This sounds miserable Pyscho.

ILoveBish

Szu, hope you heal up quick buddy.

I actually like seeing the increases. It helps me understand my body better you know?

Being a fatty for so long, I just want the scale to go down lol. But I've learned to accept when it doesn't and that it's normal.

The more I read posts like these the happier I am that I've built a base up to where I'm at and just have to maintain. This sounds miserable Pyscho.

Indeed, can confirm, sounds miserable.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm looking to switch breakfast foods to something that doesn't involve high quantities of milk and still has plenty of protein. I'm currently eating Cheerios Protein but my body hates milk. I need something that has little to no prep time. What do you recommend?

ILoveBish

I'm looking to switch breakfast foods to something that doesn't involve high quantities of milk and still has plenty of protein. I'm currently eating Cheerios Protein but my body hates milk. I need something that has little to no prep time. What do you recommend?

Eggs and bacon? Quest bar?

mdsfx

Just looked at quest bars. They seem like a good option but damn are they expensive.
They are a bit expensive. I always bought mine on Amazon and they usually average about $2 a piece. The mint chocolate chunk is f****** delicious I can't even stand it its so good.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
With a little self restraint and boxes of Quest Bars having visible abs is just too damn easy. They are amazing and I stand right behind everyone else in saying mint chocolate is a must buy.

GrizzNKev

Banned
They are a bit expensive. I always bought mine on Amazon and they usually average about $2 a piece. The mint chocolate chunk is f****** delicious I can't even stand it its so good.

With a little self restraint and boxes of Quest Bars having visible abs is just too damn easy. They are amazing and I stand right behind everyone else in saying mint chocolate is a must buy.

Okay. Ordered my first box.

SeanR1221

You know I was't a fan of s'mores at all...and then all of a sudden like a pregnant lady I started craving them. I've been through about 3 boxes now in the past couple months.

Mint Chocolate Chip is probably the only flavor I thought was really really really good. Others are good, but that is my goto flavor from now on.

mdsfx

Mint Chocolate Chip is probably the only flavor I thought was really really really good. Others are good, but that is my goto flavor from now on.
Same. Nothing came close. Didnt mind smores since it had similar textures. Many of the other flavors are just one solid consistency while the mint chocolate and smores have many which tricks my mind into thinking I'm eating delicious, unhealthy things.

mdsfx

While we're on the topic, what are your other go-to foods for high protein content? I pretty much only rely on chicken.
Well, others don't always go for dairy, but I for one think green yogurt is a godsend. 0% fat plain Greek yogurt is 22g of protein per cup and only 120 calories.

SeanR1221

While we're on the topic, what are your other go-to foods for high protein content? I pretty much only rely on chicken.

Besides chicken, fish is an excellent alternative. Mahi mani, tilapia, shrimp, salmon...

Buy it frozen and it's cheaper

Greek yogurt mixed with whey is like protein packed pudding.

It is, unquestionably miserable. Thing is, in 6 weeks I'm going to be cycling for 24 hours (maybe more if I suck), pretty much non stop. Not part of a team, it's just me, the bike, and a shitload of pain.

Anything I go through now is going to pale into comparison to how much that's going to hurt if I'm not ready for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom