• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So great to have Quadzilla back in the mix! Just had to get that out of the way.

Now my go to protein sources:

-All flesh (beef, chicken, pork, fish) mostly chicken with the others rotated in
-Greek Yogurt
-Whey
-Quest Bars

Besides those I get small amounts from veggies, PB, and the occasional string cheese. My daily menu is quite boring with mostly the same stuff over and over. This helps me develop consistency and fights cravings.

Also makes cheat nights that much more rewarding.

Azulsky

The perils of having fat guy calves is that buying tapered pants mean you are going to get bunching in the knee. But then they fit fine in the thigh and seat so moving up to straight fit is going to be a clownpants

While we're on the topic, what are your other go-to foods for high protein content? I pretty much only rely on chicken.

Plenty of things can be high protein if you eat enough lol.

I rely on the 3 major dead animal food groups Chicken, Beef, Pork

If you really really need zero prep high protein breakfast I recommend overnight oats with protein powder. Also as an addendum it is pumpkin spice season and that works with oatmeal

Eggs are pretty low prep time. For scrambled/omelette its just a few min to heat the pan and whip the eggs, 2 min max to cook them. You can also make those bacon wrapped egg cups in the oven ahead of time.

steveovig

I've been doing Reverse Smith Lunges for a couple months, on my Hamstrings/Deadlift/Posterior chain day, but I'm getting tired of them. I usually feel like they really hit my glutes and I want something to replace them with. I was thinking of doing narrow stance Hack Squats in place of the lunges, in sets of 15-20 reps. Do you guys think that would be a good replacement for the lunges? Before the lunges, I usually do Deads, SDLs, and Reverse Hacks. My goals are hypertrophy.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
You had 625 based on that 610. Not much else to say but the usual that was impressive as hell! Keep going!

Azulsky

What madness is this? Sounds delicious.

sYWDJbn.jpg
You know what must be done

ILoveBish

Extremely impressive brolic.

I really feel like doing some cooking experiments lately. Going to go buy parm cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream and more today after work so that I can try out some new foods this weekend. Got that chef itch going.

M52B28

Banned
Hmm.

Got on the scale after about a week without lifting/working out and the scale showed 243. Thats about 4lbs lighter.

This was after doing IF for two days.

I don't know. My weight fluctuates sometimes, so I'll check again soon. Gotta get revved back up.

I'm also dissapointed with my bench press.

I can only do 5 reps of 175 at the moment. I'm sure my max is probably 200 or so, but, yeah, I feel weak.

Yup, definitely one of the featherweights here. Due to cycling I'll never really be able (or willing) to bulk up like much of FitGAF. 160lbs is pretty much my limit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Psh, I did 200lb x 5 today. Clearly not that far off your total.

/flexes

Lol

F*cking hell

Edit: Jesus...

Fantastic lifts!

And goddamn your back and chest. Looking huge man.

You had 625 based on that 610. Not much else to say but the usual that was impressive as hell! Keep going!

Jesus, looking too easy for that much weight. Loved the pseudo celebration at the end.

Thanks guys, and Bum, that as actually the last working set, 610 was 3 joker sets later.

Also I told myself if I hit 525x5 and 610 today that was the end of my training for the day. So basically the dropping the barbell at 610 was dropping the mic. Lol.

Cooter, I think I'm right at 620. Only reason the bar slowed like it did at 610 was the bar caught my legs and stuck. Need to get baby powder.

BumRush

Also I told myself if I hit 525x5 and 610 today that was the end of my training for the day. So basically the dropping the barbell at 610 was dropping the mic. Lol.

Lol. For someone as into fitness as we are, that's one of the best feelings in the world.

Glad you're feeling great dude. I can't wait to see the shit you're able to accomplish I'm the next year.

ILoveBish

Grabbed a bunch of food, will make some interesting stuff this weekend...

Low Carb Wendys Frosty:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/comments/3iikwy/wendys_frosty_now_with_less_sugar/

Tobasco Zucchini Chips

http://hostthetoast.com/crispy-tabasco-zucchini-chips/

5 Min Personal Pizza (this one looks interesting as heck)

http://www.ruled.me/5-minute-keto-pizza/

Parm Zucchini Rounds

http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/06/21/baked-parmesan-zucchini-rounds/

And will make my coconut cream cheesecake once more. Probably more stuff i've been wanting to try out as well.

Found another, Flan!

http://idoketo.com/low-carb-keto-flan/

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Sleep has been shit since last workout and it showed. Still hit a couple PRs and had some fun.

Squats: 1x5x240lbs (PR), 2x3x240lbs, last rep last set paused (that was the fun part)
DB Press: 1x4, 1x3 and 1x2 with 65s. Time to reset to 60s.
Power cleans: 4x3x140lbs, 1x5x140lbs (PR)

Joined team 3-5 minutes between sets. Felt fine despite missing reps, don't think I lost much.

While we're on the topic, what are your other go-to foods for high protein content? I pretty much only rely on chicken.

Monday - Friday its pretty much just fish and birds with my breakfast consisting of a protein smoothie with greek yogurt and protein powder. I do have pure protein bars I eat for a snack, they're probably not nearly as good as these Quest Bars you guys keep talking about, but I can get a good amount of them for a good price at Costco.

On weekends, I finally allow myself to have red meat and pork. The struggle is real during the week though. I will say that I've gotten really good at finding out various ways to prepare chicken and fish so as to not get bored.

despire

Ok for the past week I've weighed myself every morning (waist measurement as well) and have noticed a pattern in the zig zag. It's going down but the water weight fluctuations are weird and have a pattern to them.

wHqMBao.jpg

The lowest weights recorded are always the morning after my lifting day (3x week) and the peaks are on the morning after my cardio day (4x week). So it looks like I either drop water on lifting days, store it on cardio days or both. It's weird since I eat the same amount and macros are practically the same. All the foods are the same mostly as well. But weight can still spike over a kilo or more.

I'm not worried or anything because I know this happens. I know I'm getting leaner so don't really care what the scale says. It's just weird, why does it spike like that after cardio? Am I doing too much cardio? I'm walking so that shouldn't be an issue though. Or maybe this is normal and I haven't noticed it before because I don't normally weigh myself every morning.

ILoveBish

Could be whatever you're doing is causing you to retain water. Could be that on certain days you're much busier with activities and don't drink enough water, causing your body to retain more of it. It could be you forgot to bow down at the shrine of cooter that morning and the weight spike is your punishment. If you find out what it is exactly and can reproduce it for everyone, write a book and swim in dat cash.

despire

Could be whatever you're doing is causing you to retain water. Could be that on certain days you're much busier with activities and don't drink enough water, causing your body to retain more of it. It could be you forgot to bow down at the shrine of cooter that morning and the weight spike is your punishment. If you find out what it is exactly and can reproduce it for everyone, write a book and swim in dat cash.

Dunno. I'm trying to drink as much as possible. 3 litres per day at least I think.

Quick question, I've been take gold standard whey protein (chocalate) for a few months I never had any problems with it. However, this week I'm only sleeping 3-5 hours I guess it's time to stop using it, it's messing up my sleeping patterns which is weird since I'm deep sleeper.

So my question is, have any of you experience this before? I guess once I stop using it my extra energy will burn off and my sleep return to normal.

Why would you assume it was the protein causing that?

Idk what else can it be, I googled it and it seems like that could be it. A few people had the same reaction and several people responded like you did lol I Just weird since a few weeks ago everything was fine, like I usually sleep 7-8hours but since Monday 4-5 max. I feel energized so I'm going to burn this remaining energy I have and stop taking today and for the next couple weeks.

despire

Can't understand why it would be the protein if you've been taking it for a while now and have been only experiencing issues this week. It's a lot more probable that your problems are caused by stress or something else.

Or maybe you've been taking too many calories than your body likes and wants you to burn them off, making you hyperactive in the hopes of that happening.

mdsfx

Can't understand why it would be the protein if you've been taking it for a while now and have been only experiencing issues this week. It's a lot more probable that your problems are caused by stress or something else.

Or maybe you've been taking too many calories than your body likes and wants you to burn them off, making you hyperactive in the hopes of that happening.
Yeah I would look elsewhere for things that have changed in your diet or life that might be affecting your sleep. Try to think of anything that's changed since a few weeks ago.

This sounds likely plus the added sugar of sweets. I'm just gonna lay off it until I get back my sleeping pattern, about to run in few talk about being weird lol

I've noticed for me anecdotally that when my protein consumption increases. The amount of time I need to sleep decreases.

I've never really looked at it as a bad thing. Why would you want to spend 7-8 hours sleeping when you could sleep for 5-6 hours instead?

That's like another 2 hours added to your day.

I've noticed for me anecdotally that when my protein consumption increases. The amount of time I need to sleep decreases.

I've never really looked at it as a bad thing. Why would you want to spend 7-8 hours sleeping when you could sleep for 5-6 hours instead?

That's like another 2 hours added to your day.

I go to sleep around 11:30pm or midnight and I'm already wide awake around 5:30am when I feel i could actually sleep more but can't. It's uncomfortable I guess this what it feels to have insomnia.

I never experience this before.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A popeyes just opened near me. I live in Massachusetts, a wasteland of mom and pop cardboard pizza and your typical chains. What a time to be alive.

andycapps

I agree, classic fit shirts are a thing from the past now. Also I think it is best to spend the little extra money to get Non-Iron shirts.

I get most of my work shirts / pants from bonobos.com. Amazing quality / customer service (free shipping and free returns, no questions asked) although it's pricey. Highly recommended if anyone here wants to look good and professional.

Nice looking shirts, I wouldn't mind picking up some of those on sale. Most of my shirts are H&M or H&M prices. I'd love to get on that Brooks Brothers game and get some non-iron slim fit shirts from them but they're pretty steep unless you catch one of their big sales.

I agree on non-iron, I really need to get rid of all mine that require ironing. Worth spending the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom