• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Lol, what have I started in this thread? I'll post a pic of the look I'm going for once I get home.

Thanks for the input Brolic. So basically lift and eat a lot, huh? I can't say I'm too surprised those two go hand in hand. Is cardio part of your plan too? At this point my plan is to continue with Stronglifts and go from there. The good thing is that my torso and arms have filled up noticeably since I began lifting in August. It's been incredibly gratifying to stack more weight on the bar each week, so I figured I'm better off aiming for big rather than lean.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol, what have I started? I'll post a pic of the look I'm going for once I get home.

Thanks for the input Brolic. So basically lift and eat a lot, huh? I can't say I'm too surprised those two go hand in hand. Is cardio part of your plan too? At this point my plan is to continue with Stronglifts and go from there. The good thing is that my torso and arms have filled up noticeably since I began lifting in August. It's been incredibly gratifying to stack more weight on the bar each week, so I figured I'm better off aiming for big rather than lean.

Not necessarily eat "a lot." Just don't worry so much about what you eat. It's not license to become a garbage disposal. Make sure you're getting plenty of food to recover well enough. That's the main goal. Shouldn't be worried about abs at all.

Load stuff, carry stuff, squat bench and dead. You'll get there.

You should realize, it takes years unless you're on gear. I don't think I even started looking very big until I'd been training for 4+ years. And only recently when I started strongman training did my back and traps blow up.

Any cardio I do is focused on weight. Loaded carries, and loading things over or to a platform. Or high rep work.

Sometimes I'll get on the airdyne bike or go for a walk but usually don't. If I ever need to cut weight for a competition I do more walking and airdyne bike.

So I've said I've started to notice a bit of muscle, probably not anything noteworthy by this thread's standards, but I have. Anyways, I've also noticed that my right bicep is a bit more prominent than my left one. I have no idea why. I make sure to workout both as equaly as I can :/

So I've said I've started to notice a bit of muscle, probably not anything noteworthy by this thread's standards, but I have. Anyways, I've also noticed that my right bicep is a bit more prominent than my left one. I have no idea why. I make sure to workout both as equaly as I can :/
Just how things are, everyone has slight imperfections like that. No one is completely symmetrical. You'll always find one side might be weaker than another, or have a different size and shape.

I have rounded biceps (rather than sharp peaks) and my left bicep is rounder than my right. My left pec is also a slightly different shape to my right which no one but me can really tell, lol. It's weird, but hey.

Wulfric

Not necessarily eat "a lot." Just don't worry so much about what you eat. It's not license to become a garbage disposal. Make sure you're getting plenty of food to recover well enough. That's the main goal. Shouldn't be worried about abs at all.

You should realize, it takes years unless you're on gear. I don't think I even started looking very big until I'd been training for 4+ years. And only recently when I started strongman training did my back and traps blow up.

Any cardio I do is focused on weight. Loaded carries, and loading things over or to a platform. Or high rep work. Sometimes I'll get on the airdyne bike or go for a walk but usually don't. If I ever need to cut weight for a competition I do more walking and airdyne bike.

Hmm, Google images is failing me tonight. None of these guys have the build I'm referring too. I don't know how to explain it. It's kind of a higher BF% build, but they still have thick arms and legs. And I didn't expect my fondness of this look to invoke such a response here, for sure. Do we just call this Fratbod?

Yeah, I'm not expecting fast results or anything. This is honestly the first time in my life I've been routinely active. I hated gym and sports in high school, so for me to turn around and work in the campus weight room 3 hours a week is quite funny to me.

sphinx

the piano man
I'm as shocked as both of you. Never heard someone say they WANT that type of body. Lol.

if I had different genes and body constitution and had more time and were younger yours would be in my "Top 3 Fitgaf Bodytypes" I'd like/try to attain (at least from what I remember from some years ago back when you used to post pics of yourself)

thinking about it, I think this would be my choice, any one of this:

.- Brolic (specially if the body comes with Brolic's strength!)
.- Spiritreaver
.- MTP

aka: size and mass, size and mass everywhere. lol

not sure why, but I care a lot more for getting size on the upper part of my frame (shoulders, upper chest, arms) than anything else. In a not very distant 2nd place would come legs, abs are dead last place

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
if I had different genes and body constitution and had more time and were younger yours would be in my "Top 3 Fitgaf Bodytypes" I'd like/try to attain (at least from what I remember from some years ago back when you used to post pics of yourself)

thinking about it, I think this would be my choice, any one of this:

.- Brolic (specially if the body comes with Brolic's strength!)
.- Spiritreaver
.- MTP

aka: size and mass, size and mass everywhere. lol

not sure why, but I care a lot more for getting size on the upper part of my frame (shoulders, upper chest, arms) than anything else. In a not very distant 2nd place would come legs, abs are dead last place

Lol, Darth and MTP are MUCH leaner than me. Im beginning to think my appearance in the videos is deceptive.

Hmm, Google images is failing me tonight. None of these guys have the build I'm referring too. I don't know how to explain it. It's kind of a higher BF% build, but they still have thick arms and legs. And I didn't expect my fondness of this look to invoke such a response here, for sure. Do we just call this Fratbod?

Yeah, I'm not expecting fast results or anything. This is honestly the first time in my life I've been routinely active. I hated gym and sports in high school, so for me to turn around and work in the campus weight room 3 hours a week is quite funny to me.

I wouldn't call it frat bod. Look up "power lifter body" or a lot of heavyweight strongmen and see if that's closer.

Wulfric

I wouldn't call it frat bod. Look up "power lifter body" or a lot of heavyweight strongmen and see if that's closer.

Yep, that's pretty much what I'm talking about: a bit fat and built all over. It's a very huggable look, imo.

Everyone in here trying to lose weight in this thread and I'm trying to pack on 5-10lbs quick lol

What weight are you at now? I hear Twinkies can take care of that real quick. :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, sleep is s underrated. I slept 10 hours overnight and took a 3 hour nap yesterday and it helped my recovery immensely.

Love me some sleep. Definitely gonna put recovery at the top of my list going into this met. About a month out.

lol You may even be leaner than you were before Vegas. That's happened to me before.

Oh lord. This place kills me. Haha

And I'm loving all the Brolic Bod talk!

Lol, I'm sure you are. I feel like I'm in bizarro world.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Damn dudes. I just had a great workout after having lost over five pounds this weekend. Bish fast can wait, I'm eating pancakes to celebrate. Heart rate was through the roof with nothing but coffee in my system.

Squats: 255lbs 3x5
Standing DB press: 60s 2x5, 1x7 (PR)
Good mornings: 130lbs 5x8 (PR)
Pendlay rows: 215lbs 3x5 (PR)

At a svelter 193.5lbs.

entremet

It's crazy how quickly strength comes back.

I did bodyweight, running and cycling over the summer and when came back I lost 30 percent on my totals. It was depressing.

But now I'm back to hitting my PRs after a few months in.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Lol, I'm sure you are. I feel like I'm in bizarro world.
Just more evidence you would have taken the FitGaf Sweet Sixteen if you entered.

It's crazy how quickly strength comes back.

I did bodyweight, running and cycling over the summer and when came back I lost 30 percent on my totals. It was depressing.

But now I'm back to hitting my PRs after a few months in.
I'm guessing it was accompanied by a caloric surplus?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What's the best way to work biceps? Same question for abs. Since I'm gaining again I really want to push myself on my accessories too.

Gaining weight or progressing? If you're progressing leave everything exactly how it is. If you're gaining weight focus mostly on main movements. Best accessories for abs specifically IMO are rollouts and hanging leg raises.

Biceps just do curls at high row ranges n

Azulsky

Curls

Barbell, Preacher Curl, Spider Curl, Hammer Curl, Reverse Grip Curl, Cable Curl, Banded Curl(+ Barbell).

Mix it up. I like doing cable because you have a constant tension what you dont get with barbell or preacher. Spider fixes that issue with preacher but your gym needs to have the right kind of preacher bench.

You also want to do some movements that hit the brachialis and forearm, which are going to be neutral grip like hammer curls or even pronated. It also gets more attention when the bicep is shortened due to your shoulder/elbow position, think hanging from a pullup vs standing when contracting the bicep.

I usually do Spider/Preacher drop sets, then hammer, then cable on my higher rep day. On lower rep day I will just do free weight ez-bar sets alternating between inner and outer grip positions then finish with cable.

Abs 'freeweight' are bw/weighted decline situps, hanging leg raise, Dragon flags, planks, rollouts. Cable you can do pulldowns, wood choppers(obliques), palloff press, side bends...

For hanging legs you can get to the point where you keep your legs straight and you just draw a circle with your toes, start with a small spiral and work outwards. Recruits all sorts of things in your lower abs/upper legs.

It's odd, aside from their involvement in some of the compound stuff I do, I never really do bicep work. I feel like I'm the anti-bro. Strange thing is, compared to most of my body my arms look pretty good.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Gaining weight or progressing? If you're progressing leave everything exactly how it is. If you're gaining weight focus mostly on main movements. Best accessories for abs specifically IMO are rollouts and hanging leg raises.

Biceps just do curls at high row ranges n

Gaining weight after a cutting period of no strength progress.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Now this is discussion topic I can get behind! #everydayisarmsday

Heavy barbell curls are amazing but be careful with frequency because there is a ton of strain on the forearms. I stopped going super heavy because I'm afraid of getting tendinitis again. A small part of me died when I quit finishing with a plate. As cheesy as it is it felt great hitting 135 for 3 or 4 with strict form. Another great exercise is incline DB curls with FatGripz. Unbelievable pump. Stick to sets of 15. I also do 7s fairly often. Look them up if they are new to you. Some people call them 21s. I also occasionally do spider curls with an eazy bar. Like em' a lot. Those are my main movements.

Wulfric

Hmm, all this curl talk makes me want to introduce a few sets into my workout tomorrow alongside good mornings. Do you have a favorite, Azulsky?

"Yo you know what paris needs rn bro? my abs bro"

CT5J2SYUEAEQDct.jpg

I feel like this is a post a guy who used to post here a lot would make. The guy that always acted like he was archer and thinks he's God's gift to women.

Could be the same guy. Not many people would look at a tragic act of terrorism and think, "OOH! A shirtless selfie opportunity has presented itself!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom