• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here actually dislike their vascularity?

I know it's a goal for many here, but I'm really getting to the point I dislike how pronounced my veins are, and it only seems to be getting worse. I don't really have a problem with the ones in my arms, but I've got them pretty much everywhere now, including massive ones all over my legs and more recently in my groin and lower abs. Can't really tell unless I'm shaven, but my chest is criss-crossed with the things too.

I'm not even at a particularly low body fat right now, so I'd hate to see what I'd look like if I was.

Average about 2,200mg a day of sodium, and 350ml (12oz) a day of milk. Cheese now and then. Probably not a great deal of dairy overall. Minimum 2 litres of water a day.

Ironically my blood pressure is low. I'd hate to see what my veins did if I ever had high blood pressure.

BumRush

Average about 2,200mg a day of sodium, and 350ml (12oz) a day of milk. Cheese now and then. Probably not a great deal of dairy overall. Minimum 2 litres of water a day.

Ironically my blood pressure is low. I'd hate to see what my veins did if I ever had high blood pressure.

Yeah, I assumed you were going to say no dairy, tons of salt, no water. Just a vascular dude. Drink more milk!

out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what made you quit facebook?

I admire you for that.

I would so gladly stop using that site.. but having friends and family all in a different country makes it kind of hard.
I'm kind of a social media addict. I invest way too much into it and people's opinions. It's was 100% for me. I wanna go on without using it (and most other social media sites) as long as I can.

theytookourjobz

Chest and bis day! And speaking of cheat days and biceps... Here's a post cheat gain pic.

I'm not on your level but my biceps have 100% more hot dogs.

VXoFltz.jpg

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Shit, it looks like your bicep warped reality when you took the pic.

Is that a NES controller phone cover? You such a nerd.

Yes sir

Well done sir.

Gracias

It's actually just an NES controller. Cooter keeps it old school.

Looking fantastic as always man.

Thanks Sean

this is the most nicely shaped bicep in the thread.

will do more arm work. it pays off.

You're always too kind.

Ooooooh, I smell another bracket-styled challenge!
As long as Sphinx is the judge I like my chances!

Ah, I get it - "cheat"= You used the Konami code to get those biceps. It's the only explanation.

Up, up, down, down, something, something....

I'm not on your level but my biceps have 100% more hot dogs.

VXoFltz.jpg

No question. You've got me by a mile. I have zero ink.

Navi

It's not uncommon for me to have:

1 large pizza
2 or 3 pints of ice cream
6-8 doughnuts
A loaf of french bread
Various other small things

Some days it's 8000ish though. Just depends on how I'm feeling.

By eating this how much do you gain like weekly lol

SeanR1221

Between the morning before a cheat and the next morning it's typically 6-8 pounds.

When I averaged it all out, you probably eat around 2700-2900 calories a day, which completely makes sense for someone at your size/strength level to maintain.

Just out of curiosity, what do your 1600 calorie days look like? I've been doing 1600-1800 these last couple days and it's really hard :/

despire

I'm so happy about life in general I've been eating more and still lean as ever. I'm very strict when it comes to my protein intake, but I can get higher on fat intake depending on the day. Finding the love of my life and things going so well with her have drastically changed my perspective on food intake and how I've been seeing myself.

That's so nice to hear man :)

despire

Ah fuck I'm sore all over. Did some kettlebell swing HIIT for 20min yesterday and I'm broken. My forearms are sore, my legs are sore, my groin is sore, my spinal erectors are sore from top to bottom. By chest is sore from the benching. I just hope my grip is good tomorrow.

BumRush

I mentioned this before but is nose bleeds common during squatting?

No, not 'common' at all man. If it happened once, it could be a variety of minor things. It shouldn't be happening to you more than once. Best advice? Ask a doctor...if for nothing more than peace of mind.

Ah fuck I'm sore all over. Did some kettlebell swing HIIT for 20min yesterday and I'm broken. My forearms are sore, my legs are sore, my groin is sore, my spinal erectors are sore from top to bottom. By chest is sore from the benching. I just hope my grip is good tomorrow.

20 minutes of..........kettle bell swings? I'll bet you're sore.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
When I averaged it all out, you probably eat around 2700-2900 calories a day, which completely makes sense for someone at your size/strength level to maintain.

Just out of curiosity, what do your 1600 calorie days look like? I've been doing 1600-1800 these last couple days and it's really hard :/
Usually something close to this.

1 shake-150,30
2 quest bars-400,40
Chicken-500, 70
Broccoli-100, 10
Greek yogurt & PB-300, 30
Flax seed- 100

1550, 180

despire

Yeep :p It's not that bad compared to some of the DOMS I've had but it's unusual. Normally my forearms aren't sore like this and neither are the whole spinal erectors.

35lbs kettlebell. 15 swings in 30 sec or so and then 30-90 sec rest. Rinse and repeat. I've been trying different types of HIIT lately.

Last time I tried recumbent bike and it was ok but the interval programming in the machine sucked and I needed to adjust the resistance manually which sucks ass. Tomorrow I might try the elliptical but I think it has the same issue..

Gruco

Banned
Stalled on OHP at 110 today. Pretty confident that I'll blow right past it after the reset, but still pretty annoyed.

Deadlift at 240, which is my current PR. Felt GOOD

Squat at 200, which is a little short of my PR at 215. Will be back there pretty soon.

At little nervous at these numbers because the last time I was anywhere close to this high I ended up sidelining myself with a back injury for months. I feel much more confident in my form now, and am being conservative with 5 lbs increases for Squat and Deadlift, so I think I should be OK to keep going for a while.

Fox318

No, not 'common' at all man. If it happened once, it could be a variety of minor things. It shouldn't be happening to you more than once. Best advice? Ask a doctor...if for nothing more than peace of mind.

Ahh ok thanks.

Kinda felt like it was bloodsport for a while there
tumblr_leero45b4n1qdezf9o1_400.gif

Szu

I'm considering trying out a deep tissue massage for the first time. I found a guy near me that was recommended by someone at my gym.

I strained something doing deadlifts. On the plus side, it felt great until that last rep. :p

Irobot82

Heads up all my Home GYM bros!

Tractor Supply Company is having $10 off 6x4ft rubber stall mats on Black Friday. $39.99 down to $29,99 that's a good deal! That's like 25% off!

ILoveBish

Slept 2.5 hours. Feel so bad. Had to drive to airport, then drive back, and then back to airport. Literally driving 6 hours strait. At work but suffering.

J. Bravo

What are good single arm exercises that I can use to focus separately on my rear delts, lats, and shoulder blade muscles (rhomboids? Lol I think I made that up)? My right side always tires first, either because it's compensating for a weak left side or my right side is actually weaker. Idk. Anyway to test that?

Teggy

I did 5 pull-ups in a row for the first time today. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but given I could barely do 2 in a row a month ago it felt really good. I haven't failed any of my 3x5s yet so I don't know how much stronger I am really getting while doing lifts, but being able to do more pull-ups is real evidence of getting stronger.

I also did 3x5 bodyweight (185) squats which was pretty cool.

sorry i just needed to get this off my chest:

well im done
lifting heavy

im starting to see floaters again. now my ophthalmologist doesn't want me lift to a point such that it increases my intraocular pressure. so i gotta avoid things like valsalva maneuver. i've had treatment for my retinal tears before. its just damn frustrating, like right after recovering from an back injury and this happens

i guess i'll take a couple months off and focus on school, finals are around the corner, then figure out how i approach gym life.

despire

Damn tweaked my lower back a bit doing RDL's. I think my form was fine but whatever. Should've stopped after the first set when I fel something a bit weird during the last rep. Second set I it hit and had to end the set prematurerily.

Standing and bending over hurts but I don't think it's anything too serious. Gonna see a doctor in a few hours.

im starting to see floaters again. now my ophthalmologist doesn't want me lift to a point such that it increases my intraocular pressure. so i gotta avoid things like valsalva maneuver. i've had treatment for my retinal tears before. its just damn frustrating, like right after recovering from an back injury and this happens

i guess i'll take a couple months off and focus on school, finals are around the corner, then figure out how i approach gym life.

You can still make good progress by upping your reps. I read a study recently that showed even when you account for the additional time it takes, it's still gives relatively similar results to lower rep ranges.

Plus you'll gain a little cardio fitness that way.

Szu

Damn tweaked my lower back a bit doing RDL's. I think my form was fine but whatever. Should've stopped after the first set when I fel something a bit weird during the last rep. Second set I it hit and had to end the set prematurerily.

Standing and bending over hurts but I don't think it's anything too serious. Gonna see a doctor in a few hours.

Something similar happened to me the other day. For me, it's the mid back area, mostly the right side. It's annoying but not too much of a hindrance. Still going to take it easy.

That why I'm getting the deep tissue massage for the first time.

ILoveBish

Felt very good at the gym. Seeing my girl tonight and mentally just insanely happy. Bench today, 3x180, 3x205 and 3x230. Ended with 10x165. Hit every rep, although was a bit of a grinder. Doing over my body weight for reps on bench still bewilders me.

You can squat GrizzNKev whilst he squats passers by.

Grizz pm me for meetup.

So I was often getting what could best be described as something like a hangover the day after squat days. It mystified me a little because it didn't happen after deadlift days, but I guess maybe squatting is tougher on the nervous system somehow? Who knows.

I just wanted to stop it because the day after squat day for me is conditioning day, and while some naproxen could get me feeling okay enough to make it through some elliptical, I wanted to prevent it from happening at all.

Luckily, it seems to be a common issue, and the solution, which I hope works, is supplementing L-Tyrosine. My pre-workout already had 250mg in it, but I get that in the morning, or maybe it just isn't enough. I took a 500mg pill of it in the evening as well, and this morning I did not have the hangover. We'll see how the next few Wednesdays go.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Felt very good at the gym. Seeing my girl tonight and mentally just insanely happy. Bench today, 3x180, 3x205 and 3x230. Ended with 10x165. Hit every rep, although was a bit of a grinder. Doing over my body weight for reps on bench still bewilders me.

Grizz pm me for meetup.

Hit me up at Miami Beach and we can squat each other to impress the tourists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom