• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szu

Cross post from the face books.

3 weeks out from NASA Christmas Classic in Flora. Taking it easy on lower back and drilling cues (slack out/screw feet). Did 525 for 10 singles and they felt solid and identical. So far so good. Goals for meet are 400lb bench press and 650 deadlift.

This how I read this.

In 3 weeks, you're going to help some people throw rockets into space. You'll just take it easy by lifting cars for the time being.

Bicep kissing stage? lol

7UjZWiE.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Last actual training day before meet. Next two weeks will be significantly scaled back to ensure I'm fresh and healthy for the competition. With this I think my opener will for bench will be 345-355 depending on how I feel warming up. As I said yesterday goal is 400lb bench and 650lb deadlift (that is ultimate goal) main goal is a 1000lb push/pull total for my first sanctioned powerlifting meet. It's looking achievable. 390lb paused for one and 265x10

https://youtu.be/x8amaji8kmo

This how I read this.

In 3 weeks, you're going to help some people throw rockets into space. You'll just take it easy by lifting cars for the time being.

Lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My four pack genetics will forever haunt me
Damn dude. That's a lot of hard work. Congrats. Lower abs will come if you choose to lower your bf%. We have a similar build.

_____

Impressive Brolic. Can't wait until this meet!

BumRush

um, pushing the bar from my chest up into the air? :) Not sure what you mean.

Lol, can you get it off your chest? Fail at the top? Wrists / forearms wobbly? Etc. That will dictate what supplemental exercises you should do.

Shit, Brolic. You're in game shape for sure.

I'm 14 pounds away from my goal of 230 :DDDDD

When I hit 230 I'll probably raise it ha! Been a hell of a ride making these gains since surgery and I'm still going strong.

Goddamn this thread is one hell of an inspiration for me to keep pushing. Seeing everyone knock shit out of the park makes me smile with every rep I do.

Cooter

When I hit 230 I'll probably raise it ha! Been a hell of a ride making these gains since surgery and I'm still going strong.

Goddamn this thread is one hell of an inspiration for me to keep pushing. Seeing everyone knock shit out of the park makes me smile with every rep I do.
When it comes down to it dedication for the gym has to come from within but I agree with you about this place making it easier to channel that motivation. I credit this place and all the positivity for making health and weightlifting an easy lifestyle to follow. This place is a hidden gem! Who would have thought a sub forum of a videogame community would have such a superb fitness group? Pretty cool.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lol, can you get it off your chest? Fail at the top? Wrists / forearms wobbly? Etc. That will dictate what supplemental exercises you should do.

Shit, Brolic. You're in game shape for sure.

Damn dude. That's a lot of hard work. Congrats. Lower abs will come if you choose to lower your bf%. We have a similar build.

_____

Impressive Brolic. Can't wait until this meet!

Thanks guys. The work is done. Now the mission is get healthy and prepare mentally.

Teggy

Yeah, I can get it off my chest, but the last rep or two I am using everything I have to get the bar up and lock out while keeping form.

BumRush

Great to hear!! Keep it up...you'll knock this goal down then it's on to the next one.

Yeah, I can get it off my chest, but the last rep or two I am using everything I have to get the bar up and lock out while keeping form.

Try db paused press (flat and incline) in the 8-12 range as well as high and low cable flys in the 15-20 rep range to work on your stamina

Wulfric

This has actually been happening to me with bench press as well. I can do sets 1-3 just fine, but sets 4 and 5 are a struggle to get the bar up. It's literally the only Stronglifts exercise that I'm stalling on. And mind you, I'm only at 120 lbs. I don't get it.

As a side note, does anyone have a favorite creatine powder?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Here's a 127 lbs woman front squatting 419lbs.

Last actual training day before meet. Next two weeks will be significantly scaled back to ensure I'm fresh and healthy for the competition. With this I think my opener will for bench will be 345-355 depending on how I feel warming up. As I said yesterday goal is 400lb bench and 650lb deadlift (that is ultimate goal) main goal is a 1000lb push/pull total for my first sanctioned powerlifting meet. It's looking achievable. 390lb paused for one and 265x10

https://youtu.be/x8amaji8kmo

Lol

Nice you should be good for both.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Hey Fitness GAF, I got a noob question to ask about jogging. Does jogging in the same spot work just as efficiently as actually jogging on a treadmill or jogging out in distance ? For example, I have very little free time now-days and have no access to treadmill. Outside is too cold so say I got 30 minutes and I want to jog. I am in my apartment and just jogging on the same spot while putting something up on TV to watch. I try to kick the feet up as high as possible for the jog but I'm just wondering if this is as efficient of a jog as actually being on treadmill or jogging outside in distance ? Assuming, of course, I jog the same amount of time.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So let my cousin borrow my starting strength book and he's actually reading it. Said it's really helpful. So glad to see someone actually reading the book and being able to help someone lift.

ILoveBish

Had an amazing night with my girl, 3 nights in a row with her and each day is better then the last. Just one issue....

Even tho I've accomplished so much in life so far, made real progress in so many things. I never really learned how to dance proper. Even as a young kid, i was a horrific dancer, and since i thought i'd die alone, i never bothered to learn how to dance. When i was forced tonight to dance with her, i could see the disappointment in her, since shes a psycho good dancer.

I just can't even sleep from thinking about it. But I'm going to finally learn this and get passed one of the biggest things in my life I've struggled with all these years. To make matters worse, we have events every single weekend till new years that will require dancing. Ontop of that, literally every single person in my family and her family are insane good dancers.

How can i use my skills at the gym on the dance floor, they must be worth something damnit.

Zoe

Hey Fitness GAF, I got a noob question to ask about jogging. Does jogging in the same spot work just as efficiently as actually jogging on a treadmill or jogging out in distance ? For example, I have very little free time now-days and have no access to treadmill. Outside is too cold so say I got 30 minutes and I want to jog. I am in my apartment and just jogging on the same spot while putting something up on TV to watch. I try to kick the feet up as high as possible for the jog but I'm just wondering if this is as efficient of a jog as actually being on treadmill or jogging outside in distance ? Assuming, of course, I jog the same amount of time.

I wouldn't say so. You can't achieve the same range of motion jogging in place as you can on a treadmill or outside.

You don't have a gym in your apartment complex?

SeanR1221

Glad to see MTP back.

Joker sets in beyond 5/3/1 are no joke. The perfect thing after getting a bunch of extra reps on your working set.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Glad to see MTP back.

Joker sets in beyond 5/3/1 are no joke. The perfect thing after getting a bunch of extra reps on your working set.

Use FSL too. Usually if I don't get 2-3 joker sets (for the same reps as the week prescribed) I'll finish the main lift with a FSL AMRAP to 10.

Another thing you can do if you have chains or know band tension weight is do joker sets with bands/chains to reach the weight. So you get some DE/Overload work in.

entremet

Had an amazing night with my girl, 3 nights in a row with her and each day is better then the last. Just one issue....

Even tho I've accomplished so much in life so far, made real progress in so many things. I never really learned how to dance proper. Even as a young kid, i was a horrific dancer, and since i thought i'd die alone, i never bothered to learn how to dance. When i was forced tonight to dance with her, i could see the disappointment in her, since shes a psycho good dancer.

I just can't even sleep from thinking about it. But I'm going to finally learn this and get passed one of the biggest things in my life I've struggled with all these years. To make matters worse, we have events every single weekend till new years that will require dancing. Ontop of that, literally every single person in my family and her family are insane good dancers.

How can i use my skills at the gym on the dance floor, they must be worth something damnit.

Well, use the mindset you got from training. You weren't deadlifting 400 plus overnight.

Same with dancing. Make it a hobby, put in the time. You'll get better.

I used hate and suck at running. I recently got into it this year and I really surprised myself. I just took the mental toughness I developed in the gym and channeled it into running.

SeanR1221

Use FSL too. Usually if I don't get 2-3 joker sets (for the same reps as the week prescribed) I'll finish the main lift with a FSL AMRAP to 10.

Another thing you can do if you have chains or know band tension weight is do joker sets with bands/chains to reach the weight. So you get some DE/Overload work in.

Good tips. That FSL set probably feels like cake after the joker sets

For your other point, if I can add 40lbs of band tension, and the joker set was say....345, 367, 375 I'd throw bands on 305, 325 and 335?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Great idea thanks man.

I like this way more than vanilla 5/3/1 which just wasn't enough work.

It's great, I took what I learned from ISSM and Donnie Thompson in how I've implemenented Beyond.

Using bands/chains on the joker sets will let you get the top range extra work in without beating the shit out of yourself. It will also let you overload/work speed/weak points as well. I got that from Donnie Thompson. The Beyond version of 5/3/1 really fixes a lot of issues. Need to remember reps build strength, 1 rep maxes test it.

Also I'm a huge fan of 5 forward 3 back. Go up 5 cycles and at the end of the 5th cycle go back 3. It works very, very well.

Cooter

I tried to hold the food consumption average up for thread while you were gone MTP. Glad the king is back!

Unfortunately no one picked up the crooked selfie quota.

ILoveBish

Welcome back mtp!

Tell her you want to learn...suggest taking a class together. She'll think it's romantic and you'll learn. Boom.

Yah I told her I'm going to learn, she said it's not a big deal. I know what her reaction was and it left a scar in my mind. It has to be addressed. Also the dancing is for Armenian music, no real classes for that stuff. I can dance to edm and hip hop fine.

Well, use the mindset you got from training. You weren't deadlifting 400 plus overnight.

Same with dancing. Make it a hobby, put in the time. You'll get better.

I used hate and suck at running. I recently got into it this year and I really surprised myself. I just took the mental toughness I developed in the gym and channeled it into running.

Yes, reading about how to's online, they all mention to just get in there and do it, in private, slowly things happen. I'll be working on it.

Thanks guys.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Losing 9.5 lbs in the past 2.5 weeks has dropped my squats about 20 lbs, but the back is holding up/progressing.

Squats - 255lbs 1x3, 230lbs 2x5
DB Press - 61s 1x5, 1x4.5, 1x3.5
Good mornings - 135lbs 5x8
Pendlay rows - 215lbs 3x5

Left arm still weaker after my reset. Should I switch to BB press?

SeanR1221

It's great, I took what I learned from ISSM and Donnie Thompson in how I've implemenented Beyond.

Using bands/chains on the joker sets will let you get the top range extra work in without beating the shit out of yourself. It will also let you overload/work speed/weak points as well. I got that from Donnie Thompson. The Beyond version of 5/3/1 really fixes a lot of issues. Need to remember reps build strength, 1 rep maxes test it.

Also I'm a huge fan of 5 forward 3 back. Go up 5 cycles and at the end of the 5th cycle go back 3. It works very, very well.

Very good point about using the bands to not burn yourself out.

And I like that 5 cycles up go back. Would prevent hitting a ceiling too fast.

| think you should give jogging outside a fair chance. If you dress properly, the weather won't feel as bad as your imagining it will.

When it comes to burning calories, jogging in place is pretty much the same as jogging outside. Just don't make the mistake of thinking because you can jog in place for 30 mins straight, that means your suddenly ready to run a 5K and post a competitive time.

For some reason I was feeling bummed about lack of gains (Seriously, switching gym was really bad for my self esteem)

Then I realized I've only been doing this for about 5 weeks.

I've only been doing Squats, Bench and Deadlift. I think it's time to start adding some more.

Teggy

I hope there's a lot of muscle building ingredients in cake and pie. Need to finish this stuff off and get a solid three weeks of healthy eating before the next holidays hit.

I'm personallly looking forward to a Costa Rican christmas cake (a form of fruit cake) an aunt is going to send to me for the holidays. Hers is so good. I hope I ration it well enough to not gain weight.

I got ass chafing from doing sit ups. It fucking sucks!

I genuinely wouldn't bother with them. I can understand why people do ab work, but there are so much better options out there than flat out situps. Examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qVd7_O5ifY

Unrelated, went a bit batshit with the food yesterday as I don't seem to have been able to put on reliable weight recently... and put on way too much! lol Ahh well, I'm sure I'll get it worked out one day. I have absolutely no idea how people manage to regularly put on only something like half a lb to a lb a week. I either seem to put on nothing, or push it too far and end up putting on 5lb in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom