• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bish inspires the shit out of me

I really need to start going to the gym again, friend has offered to drive me there, so can't really say no.

Currently losing weight but doing minimal exercise

Intro: I'm a short guy with really thin arms and I also easily gain weight, mostly on my belly and chest (I feel bad about those thng).
How tall are you and what do you weigh?

I have at my disposal:
Easily enough to be getting on with. Buy some 0.5kg weights though. Like me, you're not monster, you'll want them to make progression easier when you stall.

1) Is it normal to stall so early?

2) Can I start a couch to 10k program in the off day or it will be too much stress on my legs (I can do a sloppy 5k/3,1 miles currently)

3) I'm not doing any of the acessory exercises, should I add them or for now it's better to keep to the basic?

4) I want to get strong but I also want to lose fat (my belly fat really bothers me) I think I have ~23% body fat (last time I joined a gym I had a check up). It is really hard for me to have control of daily intake of food and after reading a little abou intermitent fasting, I think it can workk for me if my window of eating is before sleeping and after waking up so...

4.1) If I do intermitent fasting is there any problem if I only eat before and after waking up?

4.2) If there is no problem on question 4.1, should I exercise before or after sleeping?

4.3) And the exercises, before or after eating?

4.4) How can I calculate the ammount of food I need to get stronger but also lose fat?

5.) Supplements, any of them are necessary?

1: Normal is irrelevant. Your body can only do what it can do. It took me something like a year to bench what a supposedly untrained person of my weight can do.

2: Running isn't stress in the same way as lifting. In the early days the stress will be easily manageable. Could actually help recovery too.

3: Do the accessories, assuming you have time.

4: When I started lifting, I went apeshit trying to lose fat, completely screwed my progress and when I eventually lost the fat I looked like shit anyway. Would suggest only a small deficit. In the early days you'll be able to lose fat and gain muscle.

4.1: I wouldn't. To me that sounds like you're doing two 8 hour fasts, which isn't really how it's supposed to work.

4.2: See 4.1.

4.3: Generally with IF you train fasted then eat your biggest meal after working out. It sucks to start with, but it becomes normal.

4.4: You track your weight daily, and see if you're losing a little bit of weight per week on average. How much really depends on how much you weigh. Lose weight too fast, you'll affect your strength.

5: Fish oil, maybe creatine if you don't mind spending the money. As for necessary... no. Just eat right.

entremet

Rough thanksgiving this year. My last living male cousin just passed away over the weekend and it's tough (he was 35 and treated his body like shit). Can't get motivated to do much of anything besides work and spend time with my family so fitness has gone directly out the window.

Sean, your workout looks great dude. I agree with Coot that I'd add pull ups and if you can't do them, maybe inverted row ladders on a smith machine?

My condolences. Losing a loved never goes away. At least for me.

I just try to remember their best qualities and the memories we shared.

Take your time. It's is a sucker punch like no other.

Rough thanksgiving this year. My last living male cousin just passed away over the weekend and it's tough (he was 35 and treated his body like shit). Can't get motivated to do much of anything besides work and spend time with my family so fitness has gone directly out the window.

Sean, your workout looks great dude. I agree with Coot that I'd add pull ups and if you can't do them, maybe inverted row ladders on a smith machine?
Sorry to hear Bum. Wishing you and your family the best while you all get through a rough time. Take whatever time you need and focus on being with your family. We're always here for ya though.

ILoveBish

Sorry to hear bum.

Bish inspires the shit out of me

I really need to start going to the gym again, friend has offered to drive me there, so can't really say no.

Currently losing weight but doing minimal exercise

Diet is everything. But working out is really great. Physically and mentally. If i hadn't gotten so addicted to lifting, I'm not sure how far I'd have gone.

BumRush

Thank you guys. I really appreciate it. This is the best community, not just for advice around lifting but because you guys genuinely care.

Cooper

Sorry about your cousin Bum. I can sympathize, I lost my brother-in-law last year the week before Thanksgiving. Keep close to your family and loved ones.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Bodyweight DB bench is close.

Just did 95s 1x2, first rep paused at 193lbs bodyweight.

I'm sorry about your loss, Bum.

Wulfric

Sorry to hear about your cousin BumRush. We lost a great uncle a few days before Thanksgiving last year and while it quieted the festive atmosphere, I think it brought the family closer together. Don't forget to reach out to others if you need it.

I would also like to chime in and say how thankful I am for the folks in this thread. I was a little apprehensive about how things were going to go at the beginning of the semester, but being more involved on campus and finally taking care of my health has made this my best semester ever (didn't miss a single class and I'm passing everything). I would like to think that seeing the progress and camaraderie in this thread helped along the way.

Going to say thanks for this thread. Again. Long time lurker, barely a poster but man there's some inspirational shit going down in here.

If I make it to LA this E3 (no booth, game is too far out) I'd love to meet up with any of you in the area for some grub.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Happy Thanksgiving my American Fit family! My gym is closed all day so no turkey day gainz for me. :(

lol, I just realised that I can now make my pecs move independently. I always wanted to be able to do that, but I had no chest to speak of. Been years since I last tried to do it.

ILoveBish

Happy thanksgiving fitbros.

Gym was packed today. No room to even walk. Lucky I got blessed and a bench opened up for me. Bench press with 5x190, 3x215 and 1x240. Ended with a 10x165. It was too busy for accessories. This is 5 531 sessions in a row I've gone up in weight successfully while losing fat. And best days are still ahead.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Condolences on your loss, BumRush. Had a similar situation with one of my own cousins not too long ago, so I know how you feel. :(

So, probably dumb question but is it okay to eat lots of tuna? I worry about supposed mercury poisoning but I don't know if that's exaggerated or whatever.

ReBirFh

How tall are you and what do you weigh?
5'5" 71Kg

Easily enough to be getting on with. Buy some 0.5kg weights though. Like me, you're not monster, you'll want them to make progression easier when you stall.

I tried to find but the smallest size everywhere seems to be 1 Kg, maybe I can do a pair of DIY weights with bags and sand.

1: Normal is irrelevant. Your body can only do what it can do. It took me something like a year to bench what a supposedly untrained person of my weight can do.

2: Running isn't stress in the same way as lifting. In the early days the stress will be easily manageable. Could actually help recovery too.

Then I think I will start but from the very beggining instead fof starting from 5k and up.

3: Do the accessories, assuming you have time.

I have time, everything seems to take less than 1 hour, I wouldn't have time if I had to go to a Gym.

4: When I started lifting, I went apeshit trying to lose fat, completely screwed my progress and when I eventually lost the fat I looked like shit anyway. Would suggest only a small deficit. In the early days you'll be able to lose fat and gain muscle.
That's what I hope.

4.1: I wouldn't. To me that sounds like you're doing two 8 hour fasts, which isn't really how it's supposed to work.

I usually only sleep for 5 hours and late in the night and early in the day would be the easiest to control but I will see if I can do breakfast at 9 and lunch at 12.

4.2: See 4.1.

4.3: Generally with IF you train fasted then eat your biggest meal after working out. It sucks to start with, but it becomes normal.

4.4: You track your weight daily, and see if you're losing a little bit of weight per week on average. How much really depends on how much you weigh. Lose weight too fast, you'll affect your strength.

5: Fish oil, maybe creatine if you don't mind spending the money. As for necessary... no. Just eat right.
Those seems to be cheap, I will try them.

Thanks for your time.

ILoveBish

Amazing, amazing night. Ate a lot of food, very thankful for everything going on in life right now. I'm so blessed to be with this girl. I wore size 33 pants tonight comfy, and a large dress shirt, I had to look in the mirror several times to confirm that was me I was looking at. Looked so young and thin. I'm finally seeing what others are seeing. It's been a long road. But I've never been happier in my life.

The only thing is now life is so crazy busy. I was busy before. Now even more so. Bring it on tho. Really feel amazing. Fitgaf really makes things happen.

BumRush

Amazing, amazing night. Ate a lot of food, very thankful for everything going on in life right now. I'm so blessed to be with this girl. I wore size 33 pants tonight comfy, and a large dress shirt, I had to look in the mirror several times to confirm that was me I was looking at. Looked so young and thin. I'm finally seeing what others are seeing. It's been a long road. But I've never been happier in my life.

The only thing is now life is so crazy busy. I was busy before. Now even more so. Bring it on tho. Really feel amazing. Fitgaf really makes things happen.

This post made me smile a ton dude

Faiz

That's awesome man, you've earned it!

This'll prolly be the least damaging thanksgiving in terms of my health. XD

Worked, so instead of a huge day full of gorging I had a reasonably-portioned orphans meal with the coworkers. Gonna hit the gym and get back into the rhythm after work today.

J_Viper

My four pack genetics will forever haunt me
Gaxiphr.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Cross post from the face books.

3 weeks out from NASA Christmas Classic in Flora. Taking it easy on lower back and drilling cues (slack out/screw feet). Did 525 for 10 singles and they felt solid and identical. So far so good. Goals for meet are 400lb bench press and 650 deadlift.

http://youtu.be/VvKbHWj9JKk

Nice, good for you.

Sorry to hear that bud.

Zoe

I learned today at my gym that barbell power cleans are technically not allowed or at least frowned upon. What would be an alternative exercise? The fitness trainer suggested lunges.

Additionally, anyone have a Spotify weightlifting playlist they recommend? I've just been listening to my running one.

The Practical Programming variant of SS uses chin/pull-ups instead.

So it turns out I've reached my mini goal of 80kg (176lbs)!!!

I've lost 37kg (81lbs)!

Next mini goal is 70kg (154lbs). I assume this one will be slower. This time it took almost 13 weeks to lose 10kg (22lbs). By the time I reach my nect goal, I will have lost over 100lbs.

When I started coming to this thread I had lost about 30lbs.

I've just realised that I'm spending more and more time in front of the mirror lately. Fuck it, I worked hard for it. :p

Not got to the bicep kissing stage yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom