• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navi

Jesus. You're a beast. I'd say you're on point - excellent vascularity.

Thanks man! I just more size. I feel small.

Your arms are fucking massive!

^_^ Maybe its the pump haha.

Jesus, that sounds awful once you start getting into heavier squats/DL. I think I'll be picking up a pair of lifting shoes on Black Friday then. Do you have a favorite (preferably under $100)?

Looking good Navi. Those arms are beastly. How long have you been training?

2 years in bodybuilding but I use to be active in high school with sports.

Chocobro

Jesus, that sounds awful once you start getting into heavier squats/DL. I think I'll be picking up a pair of lifting shoes on Black Friday then. Do you have a favorite (preferably under $100)?

Can't go wrong with a pair of Chuck Taylors. You can also do the compound movements bare feet if it's allowed at your gym. I think another recommendation from some people is wrestling shoes.

My favorite is weightlifting shoes. I have a pair of Adipowers and I still want a pair of Romaleos just for the heck of it. I do Olympic weightlifting now so it's pretty much required to wear weightlifting shoes. They've been on sale in the $120-140 range often the last several months (they retail for $200).

My original goal was to get to 62kg (136lbs), but I'm not so sure anymore. Now I'm thinking 65-67 (143-147lbs) maybe, if it's possible to get a bit lean at that weight for my height (167cm). I have noticed a bit of muscle developing and my workouts right now focus more on strength than cardio (basic stuff, of course, and I don't have access to a gym yet, though that is likely to change next year).

Sora_N

I started out at the beginning of the year, around 230-235lbs.

I did P90X3 through twice, made it to around 220 or so. I didn't do everything 100% because I couldn't, and also I don't have much time. I did what I could.

I just finished Insanity Max 30 (first time) on Thursday, I was stuck around 218-219lbs after the first month.

So I decided to tough it out and tried to skip junk food and all the bad stuff 90% of the time, and ate less too.

Today I decided to finally weigh myself and I'm at 211lbs.

I'm trying to get to 205 first and then 200.

It's been a strange year, my gf broke up with me in May (after 4 years - long story) and I just started a new job the month before that.

My results aren't that impressive but I'm content with it and will keep trying to improve. I have a feel for what sections I need to work more on so I will focus on those for the time being.

ILoveBish

Had the best date of my life. I dropped her off home at 6am. She finally met my family, things went great, ended up with cousins and we just had a blast till 515am, then dropped her off home. Really was absolutely amazing. Mentally i've never felt this happy in my entire life. To find someone so incredible, i literally thought it would never happen.

Throughout the night, i ate lots of high carb foods, ribs with rich bbq sauce, cookie butter cheesecake, egg rolls and even had a large glass of wine. All worth it tho. My first real official cheat night in a long ass time. I also smoked more hookah tonight then in the past 5 months combined.

I still haven't slept, and its been like 24+ hours. Gym is going to be damn interesting this week i'm sure, especially since it's 1s week.

HKnightz

I started out at the beginning of the year, around 230-235lbs.

Today I decided to finally weigh myself and I'm at 211lbs.

My results aren't that impressive but I'm content with it and will keep trying to improve. I have a feel for what sections I need to work more on so I will focus on those for the time being.

First of all, give more credit to yourself. 20 lbs is a great amount and you dedicated yourself to change and got results. Awesome job so far.

Now if you want more weight loss, can you give us more info on what you're currently doing in terms of exercise and also if you're tracking food intake? Also, body recomposition (fat loss on top of muscle gain) is a different goal than just straight decreasing the number on the scale. What are your goals at the moment?

Crushed leg day today. Super set drop sets on squats with Romanian deads for 5 sets. Single leg calf raises into farmers for another 5 then wound it down with some two plate stairs for another 5 one minute climbs.

Now I'm hungry.

Wulfric

2 years in bodybuilding but I use to be active in high school with sports.

Nice, I wish I had done sports in high school. It would have given me a nice base to work from rather than starting fresh at 20. If I could go back I would have loved to do JV wrestling.

Teggy

Nice, I wish I had done sports in high school. It would have given me a nice base to work from rather than starting fresh at 20. If I could go back I would have loved to do JV wrestling.

I did sports in high school and it totally set me up.

golf and science Olympiad

Sora_N

First of all, give more credit to yourself. 20 lbs is a great amount and you dedicated yourself to change and got results. Awesome job so far.

Now if you want more weight loss, can you give us more info on what you're currently doing in terms of exercise and also if you're tracking food intake? Also, body recomposition (fat loss on top of muscle gain) is a different goal than just straight decreasing the number on the scale. What are your goals at the moment?

Thanks!

I am tracking my food just to get an idea of approximately how many calories I'm consuming. Trying to stay within 300-500 deficit roughly.

I honestly just want to get rid of my stomach area fat currently, I'm planning on doing the p90x1 ab ripper 2-3 times a week regarding that. That's what I decided to focus on for the time being I think. Abs really kill me and I get why you can't do it daily, I couldn't handle it daily.

I plan to balance out cardio, weights, shoulder exercises, and some legwork also throughout the week.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I may have asked this before, but I don't remember. Is that 1 gram of protein per lb. of body weight legit or just broscience?

ILoveBish

Damn, i ate all those carbs, drank wine, and i lost .4lbs even after eating what must have been 4-5k calories of food. Bodies are indeed weird. Woke up and im vascular as heck, traps are out in force, my abs are really defined. I have leftover food to finish, so i had some dairy food and immediately got bloated, and lost my abs lol. Oh well. I'll be back to normal eating by tuesday, then thanksgiving thursday, then back to the grind on friday. There will be more dates now that things are getting omega serious with this girl, she's now coming with me to thanksgiving and christmas parties, and i'm sure new years as well. Ring will likely be put on in jan. I haz no worries at this point about how things are going to go. I'm going to be strict when i can, and enjoy when the time comes. Sleep is going to be my biggest issue for a while.

Also, gym is closed at 2pm on thrusday, so might just skip gym that day and finish it up friday, but i do love me some gym so we'll see.

What's a good way to build flexibility for benching?
Stretch very carefully to not create an impingement in your rotator and be sure to do plenty of rotator cuff exercises. Proper posture when stretching and pressing are super important for proper range of motion so you don't snap your shit up - YouTube some info on your rotator and proper techniques. You don't need to go so far back with your arms or rotate far enough to hurt your anterior delt. A great exercise in the pool is the butterfly for low impact material to work your rotation.

I may have asked this before, but I don't remember. Is that 1 gram of protein per lb. of body weight legit or just broscience?
As a starting point. Most people eat a little less like 0.8 grams per pound. I wouldn't call it broscience as much as your body will need more protein period. You can easily watch how you respond to macros and make small adjustments.

Don't forget your fat and carbs. Neither of those are the enemy and are essential nutrients.

-

Just my .02 for both of you :D

BumRush

Damn, i ate all those carbs, drank wine, and i lost .4lbs even after eating what must have been 4-5k calories of food. Bodies are indeed weird. Woke up and im vascular as heck, traps are out in force, my abs are really defined. I have leftover food to finish, so i had some dairy food and immediately got bloated, and lost my abs lol. Oh well. I'll be back to normal eating by tuesday, then thanksgiving thursday, then back to the grind on friday. There will be more dates now that things are getting omega serious with this girl, she's now coming with me to thanksgiving and christmas parties, and i'm sure new years as well. Ring will likely be put on in jan. I haz no worries at this point about how things are going to go. I'm going to be strict when i can, and enjoy when the time comes. Sleep is going to be my biggest issue for a while.

Also, gym is closed at 2pm on thrusday, so might just skip gym that day and finish it up friday, but i do love me some gym so we'll see.

Damn, Bish. Very excited for you!

mdsfx

1lb away from the heaviest I've ever been and still over a month to go. 180 is in my cross hairs!

RqILmSBh.jpg

Last time I checked my weight (a few months ago?): 270
Yesterday: 330

Goddamn. Started to diet and exercise yesterday.

I remember going on a diet a few years ago and getting down to 240. I thought I was quite fat then. Psh.

Faiz

Welp, Saturday's awful work out makes more sense. I was up with my son for three hours Saturday night and felt like a cold was coming on. By the time I woke up yesterday morning I was in full on cold mode. Praying this goes away quick - last couple times I had a cold it stretched out for like 2 weeks, which would cover our entire vacation.

>_<

Wulfric

Chocobro, you're a lifesaver. I wore an old pair of Converse I had lying around today and my squats were way smoother than with running shoes. It's hard to believe flat soles make such a big difference.

So I finally used the 45lb plates for squats today. It was a little intimidating at first, but the fact that SL only goes up 5lbs at a time made it easier. It just seem like more weight than 35+5+2.5, you know? Anyways, here are today's results:

SQ: 5x5, 135
BP: 5x5, 115 (failed this one last Monday)
ROW: 5x5, 70
Current weight: 161.6

Bah. Was going for a deadlift PR but I'm not convinced I got it properly locked out on one of the reps. Will have to check the vid later. =/

Finally able to put up 250 on bench again comfortably. Been a long time coming after surgery and I'm feeling better about progressing. 6 months of solid training and I think I am doing well, all things considered. Gunning for 300 next year.

ILoveBish

Absolutely crushed it at the gym. Squats today with 5x280, 3x315 and 1x350. 10x240 set to end it. Hit every rep easily. Hit all my accessories easily as well. Amazing start to this 1s week.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Eating more makes a huge difference. I easily passed the wall I was hitting on my bench for months once I stopped starving myself. Really appreciate the advice guys.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As a starting point. Most people eat a little less like 0.8 grams per pound. I wouldn't call it broscience as much as your body will need more protein period. You can easily watch how you respond to macros and make small adjustments.

Don't forget your fat and carbs. Neither of those are the enemy and are essential nutrients.

-

Just my .02 for both of you :D

Thanks!

Nice to see all these new faces in the thread lately.

I'd consider this "best-GAF" to be honest. Everyone here has been supportive and wants to kill it in their lifts and diets. No bs, just a bunch of hard working buff guys.

I have been lurking for a long time but rarely post. I think I posted a few times several months back.

This also might be a good place to ask (wait for it: ask a doctor) about those of you with Type 1 diabetes controlled with insulin and also some of you that have had a thyroid removed - any tricks?

I've been doing well, all things considered, but my largest hangup is fatigue due to thyroid meds. Most mornings when I roll out of bed I'd rather it be off of a cliff - fighting it all day just to feel like half a human being. Been to the best docs in Chi town and numbers are perfect, but, fatigue is killing me some days. Especially legs. Those with thyroid issues will know the molten lead feeling in your legs makes even a flight of stairs a chore. Legs on fire. Still tho - gotta do them and I enjoy leg day more than most :D Maybe because its my way of saying "fuck you" to my body when I feel like poop. I ain't letting it slow me down.

Anyhow, this always seemed like a good communtiy. Lots of support for even the smallest milestone which is a good thing. Peeps in this thread do amazing things not just with their bodies - but their commitment to being there for others.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Carb back loading in action.

Those with thyroid issues will know the molten lead feeling in your legs makes even a flight of stairs a chore. Legs on fire.

I can't really help with the thyroid aspect of things, but i do know a little something about leg fatigue, and for me the key is working into it throughout the day. If I've come off the back of doing a 6hr+ ride then the next day the first thing I do is just make myself walk up and down the stairs a few times. An hour or so later I'll do it a little faster. A little later I'll jog up and down the stairs. Later still, do a bit more, or faster. By the time I'm ready to do my workout my legs have usually flushed all the heaviness out of them and I'm good to go.

Active recovery is a hell of a thing.

I have a question about IF. What time do you think is best to workout for good results? Before or after breaking the fast? What I have been doing for a while is breaking the fast, waiting a while, workout, and then eat again afterwards.

Do you workout fasted?

Most common advice is to work out fasted then have your biggest meal. It's difficult to start with, but now I have no problem doing a two hour workout fasted... though I wouldn't like to attempt two hours with any sort of high (140bpm+) heart rates (my heart rate averages less than 100bpm doing 5x5 style stuff).

I can't really help with the thyroid aspect of things, but i do know a little something about leg fatigue, and for me the key is working into it throughout the day. If I've come off the back of doing a 6hr+ ride then the next day the first thing I do is just make myself walk up and down the stairs a few times. An hour or so later I'll do it a little faster. A little later I'll jog up and down the stairs. Later still, do a bit more, or faster. By the time I'm ready to do my workout my legs have usually flushed all the heaviness out of them and I'm good to go.

Active recovery is a hell of a thing.
Will definitely try this in prep for leg days. I usually do legs in the mornings but will start doing them later to get some more movement going on before diving in. Thanks.

Sky Chief

I've been doing Starting Strength with the app for a couple weeks and last workout I deadlifted my body weight so it told me to start doing Power Cleans.

However, I can't get into the rack position. I feel like my forearms are too long or something because I tried all different kinds of grip widths and cannot possibly get the bar on top of my shoulders unless my elbows are down not forward. When I get my elbows up the bar presses hard into my throat so it seems like my forearms are longer than my upper arms? Any advice? I'm not sure how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom