• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

ILoveBish

Damn, life went crazy out of nowhere. Had to stay home for life stuff on Wednesday, the stress of that caused my broken tooth to start hurting again, intense pain for days. Had to see a special surgeon because I waited too long and the gums grew around the broken tooth. Finally today I got both wisdom teeth pulled out on one side, so haven't lifted in over a week now. They said I can't lift anything heavy for 72 hours.

Oh well, by Saturday I'll be back on it, and it's nice that I no longer have to worry when my broken tooth is going to hurt me again. Eff that tooth son.

Bum's a daddy again! :)

Mom and baby doing great!

Congrats man!

Huge cheat day yesterday (anniversary). 2.2kg (~5lb) gained. lol

It'll come off again pretty damn quickly though. Most of that will be water, and my calorie intake is super strict now for the next 7 days.

Military press can RIP. Today did 3x6 @ 95lbs. RIP. Upper body needs to catch up.

Today's bench felt okay. Need to learn to do a lift off by myself without expelling so much energy.

OldMan

Banned
Here's Bruce's gym card for anyone interested
xbruce-lee-workouts-6.jpg.pagespeed.ic.B_uRN3lbPI.jpg

Kieli

Is it normal to get wrist pain with the OHP? It's only my right wrist, too. When I try the thumbless grip (e.g. thumb is same side as other 4 fingers), it goes away; but I don't feel as safe carrying the weight over my head using thumbless grip.

Also tried decreasing width, and that kinda helps too.

Best investment I've made in my life, thing has me feeling like this
You got any decent recipes? I hardly ever use mine because most of what I've tried hasn't been that nice. =/

Is it normal to get wrist pain with the OHP? It's only my right wrist, too. When I try the thumbless grip (e.g. thumb is same side as other 4 fingers), it goes away; but I don't feel as safe carrying the weight over my head using thumbless grip.

Also tried decreasing width, and that kinda helps too.

Try wrist wraps... and I've always used suicide grip for OHP. You're not going to drop the weight on your head. Bench on the other hand...

Tomorrow begins Week 4 of candito's 6 week program.

i think i'm going to try and rest like 30 minute to an hour between squats and deadlift so i can recoup.

need to be able to hit those reps and not use the too tired excuse.

guess i should bring some food and battery pack. its going to be awhile.

also i do suicide grip for OHP because mark says so. and it feels fine. no wrist problem that way.

Suplexer

Height: 5'6
Weight: 124
Goal: Get stronger/be able to play basketball with my little brother the way I used to
Current Training Schedule: Detailed below
Current Training Equipment Available: YMCA

I've apparently been missing out on a free, full adult YMCA membership for the last 5-10 years so that sucks, but better late than never right?

I started there yesterday, and since I am in relatively good shape from doing bodyweight fitness routines and DDP yoga, and I have never been to a gym before I decided to try their 90 day fitness program.

It seems relatively simple and hits what I assume are some pretty standard areas.

The routine takes about an hour, and consists of a 10 minute light cardio warm-up, and then
two sets/ten reps of the following:

Dumbell Step Ups
Chest Press
Lat Pulldown
Dumbell Curls

with a 20 second hold/3 sets Plank

and ends with 10 minutes of stretching plus an optional cardio challenge (this week was moderate intensity on the bike for 20 mins).

I feel great after doing it yesterday which is a little alarming since I haven't been very active in a few months so maybe it wasn't intense enough? I set all the weights to 40 because tbh I'm not very strong hahaha but I feel like I surprisingly can do more.

Does this routine seem worth continuing? It's a LOT less intimating then weightlifting and since I've never been to a gym it seems like a nice way to not only adjust to being there but getting back into athletic shape.

I'm sure I would see a much more drastic difference in 90 days if I did 5x5 or something, but would you guys say I should just stick with it?

Also, what is your general pre-post gym routine? I ate like shit before I went, and then drank a protein shake after and felt okay.

Sorry for the terribly long first post.

It seems like a good beginner routine. Only advice I would give is to up the weights each session.

So for instance you said you did 40lbs this time. So next time do 45lbs, and then the next time 50lbs.

If you get to a weight heavy enough where you can't do all the reps. Just focus on doing more reps each time until you can do all 10 then up the weight. (i.e. got stumped at 7 reps one session, next session aim for 8 or 9, and the session after that aim for 9 or 10)

ACE 1991

Does anyone else use the fitness tracker app Progression? I'm not sure if it's on iOS, but it's really great. Simple and does what I need to do (tracks reps, weight, sets and has a rest timer that you can manually set per exercise) without all the Jetfit horseshit. I paid $5 to upgrade to the premium version.

Help me FitGAF, I wanna start working out but I've never done it before and I'm not sure which routine is right for me. Help pls.

Height: 6'
Weight: 180 lbs
Goal: ~165 lbs, not super concerned with weight, just want to shave off some belly fat
Current Training Schedule: Basically nothing, I'm fairly active, but never really make it a point to work out
Current Training Equipment Available: Full gym thanks to my university

ACE 1991

Help me FitGAF, I wanna start working out but I've never done it before and I'm not sure which routine is right for me. Help pls.

Goal: ~165 lbs, not super concerned with weight, just want to shave off some belly fat
Current Training Schedule: Basically nothing, I'm fairly active, but never really make it a point to work out

How often do you want to go to the gym?

Where do you guys stand on lifting on an empty stomach?

I usually get up around 1030 am, drink a shake and go lift. Is this bad? The thing is if I get up and eat I'd have to wait a few hours right?

Sorry if this had been answered

Depends how long you're lifting for. If it's more than an hour and a half, I'd say eat something... unless you're doing intermittent fasting, but if you were, you'd already know that it's fine.

Depends how long you're lifting for. If it's more than an hour and a half, I'd say eat something... unless you're doing intermittent fasting, but if you were, you'd already know that it's fine.

I do StrongLifts so it takes me about an hour. Not sure what intermittent fasting is, but as soon as I finish and get home, I drink a protein shake then wait about 30 mins and eat a good sized breakfast.

I think overall I need to eat more but it's hard with my dumb work schedule. I don't really feel like I'm getting stronger even though I life consistently. Overall I feel like I hit a wall and it's getting discouraging.

Edit thanks for the reply!

Around 3-5 times a week, probably.

Do Starting Strength or Stronglifts, or follow the ideas presented in the first post. Barbell exercises.

As a general warning and bit of advice, leave pride, ego, or any other personal vanity impediment at the door and start at the bottom, for your own benefit (and if you follow these programs, you won't be at the bottom for very long).

KillerBEA

If you're willing to invest in additional equipment (Fractional Plates) I recommend Grey Skull LP, if not Starting Strength and Stronglifts are good starting points.

Natural

I'd say start with Starting Strength then go from there

SeanR1221

Rounding out my third week on the RP diet template. Feeling good. And hungry. Excited to see my final progress compared to what I looked like a couple years ago.

1STLdb2h.jpg

OldMan

Banned
You got any decent recipes? I hardly ever use mine because most of what I've tried hasn't been that nice. =/

Try wrist wraps... and I've always used suicide grip for OHP. You're not going to drop the weight on your head. Bench on the other hand...
Well Bruce Lee drank his own juice concoctions made from vegetables and fruits, apples, celery, carrots and so on. The carrots definitely help offset the bitterness of any leafy vegetables you use.. Spinnach is my go 2.

vypek

I think overall I need to eat more but it's hard with my dumb work schedule. I don't really feel like I'm getting stronger even though I life consistently. Overall I feel like I hit a wall and it's getting discouraging.

This is how I feel. :/ Some changes at work has me working more and having a lot less time and the timing can be very erratic.

There's a recipe for a ridiculously high calorie / protein shake around here. Make one of those after you lift. Bam, 1,000kcal.

Oh this sounds really convenient and pretty much what I need right now.

Oh really? That sounds interesting I will check it out thanks! That's prob what I need lol

Let me know if you find it. I'm gonna look around for it now too.

I do this:
2 cups milk
2 servings of peanut butter
1-1.5 servings of oatmeal
scoop of protein powder

Blend and drink.

This sounds pretty good. Any idea how many calories it is? I'm sort of lactose intolerant so I wonder if I can handle this.

I've been looking for viable things for extra calories to go with my awful schedule and so far this seems to be what catches my eye the most. Only thing that makes me slightly hesitant is the calories from fat being like half the calories and the corn syrup seeming to be the source of sugar. But I don't know enough about nutrition to know if this is bad yet.

71QgWO%2BqxRL._SY679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089M3FLC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I do this:
2 cups milk
2 servings of peanut butter
1-1.5 servings of oatmeal
scoop of protein powder

Blend and drink.

This sounds delicious am gonna try thanks !!

Total calories: 920
Total protein: 58
Total fat: 53g

Gonna throw in a banana and maybe a scoop of nonfat Greek yogurt.

Thanks again

vypek

Use almond milk and add some more of something else. Or, get some lactose free ice cream. :D

Oooh. Good idea. Maybe I can put in extra peanut butter with the change in milk.

Interestingly ice cream is one of the dairy products that has a very tame effect if any when I have it. But now is a good chance to try lactose free anyways :)

Whilst I know that, scientifically, this low calorie / re-feed setup should work best... I'm REALLY not enjoying it.

I'm finding it's extremely hard to get my macros right, even with the additional exercise calories, let alone on non workout days (thankfully only one in the last couple of weeks).

Strange how just a change of 200kcal a day can do that. I was perfectly happy at 1850, but 1650 feels like hell.

fucking fedex. when you had one job and can't deliver my pre. now it's going to take another day to just get it to a fedex location? fuck this shit.

velociraptor

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Using the above calculator to lay out the 'BBB 3 Month Challenge' routine with my training maxes.

Got a question though - is the last set supposed to be 'as many reps as possible'? The calculator makes no mention of it, although the original 5/3/1 article on T-nation states the last set of the core lift should be AMRAP.

mdsfx

Well this Friday I find out how shitty my swim stroke is.

Welp, that was awesome, but also very revealing. I swam in this small, current-generating pool with cameras and mirrors everywhere. I felt seriously exposed watching myself swim from every possible angle.

Instructor's name was Katie Hoff and she has 3 Olympic medals related to swimming. First words out of her mouth: "I've seen worse," lol, but she sent me home with a ton of great feedback. You gotta start somewhere!

KillerBEA

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Using the above calculator to lay out the 'BBB 3 Month Challenge' routine with my training maxes.

Got a question though - is the last set supposed to be 'as many reps as possible'? The calculator makes no mention of it, although the original 5/3/1 article on T-nation states the last set of the core lift should be AMRAP.

EDITED:

Jim has said on his blog that the amrap set is ok during Big But Boring, but said it can interfere with recovery during an already hard program.

Kinda on subject, Jim is releasing a new book soon. He has been teasing his Krypteia training program/method/template for a while now.

Welp, that was awesome, but also very revealing. I swam in this small, current-generating pool with cameras and mirrors everywhere. I felt seriously exposed watching myself swim from every possible angle.

Instructor's name was Katie Hoff and she has 3 Olympic medals related to swimming. First words out of her mouth: "I've seen worse," lol, but she sent me home with a ton of great feedback. You gotta start somewhere!
That's a pretty dope place.

BumRush

How much did it cost?

BumRush

It's amazing. They have some pretty interesting equipment there.

Normally $120 for 30 minutes with her. I participated in an indoor cycling time trial (cost me $25) and they offered everyone in it a free class of their choice. So it was free!

Damn that's very cool. Probably learned so much.

velociraptor

EDITED:

Jim has said on his blog that the amrap set is ok during Big But Boring, but said it can interfere with recovery during an already hard program.

Kinda on subject, Jim is releasing a new book soon. He has been teasing his Krypteia training program/method/template for a while now.

I just read the accompanying T-Nation article. He advises against AMRAP on the last set on this challenge, simply because of the 5x10 hypertrophy work. Guess I'll just follow the routine to the letter in that case :p

Suplexer

Morning after day two of my new routine and my left arm is very stiff to the point where it hurts. I think it's because I cuddle up with my SO at (who signed up for the Y with me last night meaning we both can work out together now!) and my left arm is always bent against her back.

Other than that I feel great again, I upped the weight by five pounds on every machine except the chest press which I went up by ten on because I realized I had been doing it at 30 not 40 like everything else. My last 2 reps of the shoulder press were pretty brutal, and I basically couldn't finish my last rep on the curl machine. Does that mean I should down the weights or keep at them until I can reliably finish all my reps?

My SO is picking up a magic bullet after work today which is super exciting since we have very little time between college, work, and life so that will make the healthy and proper diet part of this much easier.

KillerBEA

I just read the accompanying T-Nation article. He advises against AMRAP on the last set on this challenge, simply because of the 5x10 hypertrophy work. Guess I'll just follow the routine to the letter in that case :p
Maybe the answer is different if youre doing the challenge or the standard program.*shrug*

GrapeApes

Just finished my first meet. ~1046 total. Only failed one lift. Might need to switch from a commercial gym to a powerlifting gym. The difference in bars is noticeable. We were using a Ohio Power Bar and it shits on anything in my gym. Feels helfy and the knurl is more aggressive. Was able to go up deadlifts more than planned cause of it. No PRs set but wasn't trying to go hard. Need to def up my game. They had a 19 year old in the same class deadlifting 560. 100lbs more than my final attempt. Will def try to do another meet later in the year. Gonna just bulk up back to my real weight then cut a week out.

Top Bottom