• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Just finished my first meet. ~1046 total. Only failed one lift. Might need to switch from a commercial gym to a powerlifting gym. The difference in bars is noticeable. We were using a Ohio Power Bar and it shits on anything in my gym. Feels helfy and the knurl is more aggressive. Was able to go up deadlifts more than planned cause of it. No PRs set but wasn't trying to go hard. Need to def up my game. They had a 19 year old in the same class deadlifting 560. 100lbs more than my final attempt. Will def try to do another meet later in the year. Gonna just bulk up back to my real weight then cut a week out.
Awesome man. Did you happen to record it?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright I'm just starting to get back into working out, after being totally aimless before. I'm easing myself back into things by going three times a week and just doing half an hour on a bike and then three circuits of a half dozen or so weight machines, upper and lower

The beginner programs in the OP are definitely way less reps than I do of anything currently, should I be doing higher weight but less reps?

Mostly right now I'm trying to figure out when I'm "done". I know I want there to be some burn, but figuring out when I've overextended and need extra rest days (before waking up two mornings later and going "oh damnit") is trickier

Alright I'm just starting to get back into working out, after being totally aimless before. I'm easing myself back into things by going three times a week and just doing half an hour on a bike and then three circuits of a half dozen or so weight machines, upper and lower

The beginner programs in the OP are definitely way less reps than I do of anything currently, should I be doing higher weight but less reps?

If you follow Starting Strength (SS) or StrongLifts (SL), the weights are going to get heavy real fast.

Start with the bar, learn the movements. Do 3 (SS) or 5 (SL) sets of 5 with good form, then add 5 pounds next workout. With squats, that means you would be adding 15 pounds per week, and with the other exercises, it would be 15 pounds every two weeks. See what's happening?

homiUeB.gif

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you follow Starting Strength (SS) or StrongLifts (SL), the weights are going to get heavy real fast.

Start with the bar, learn the movements. Do 3 (SS) or 5 (SL) sets of 5 with good form, then add 5 pounds next workout. With squats, that means you would be adding 15 pounds per week, and with the other exercises, it would be 15 pounds every two weeks. See what's happening?

homiUeB.gif

I gotcha

Disxo

So, after months of having my lower back injured...(Dont ask) I finally feel like the mobility excercises paid off, will do deadlifts this Tuesday.

Question is, should I?
Perhaps other excercises might be better.

Detox

I've been doing 531 BBB for several months now. Want to transition to a more bodybuilding orientated workout but keep the main compounds.

Is there any workouts like this I can do in an hour?

So, after months of having my lower back injured...(Dont ask) I finally feel like the mobility excercises paid off, will do deadlifts this Tuesday.

Question is, should I?
Perhaps other excercises might be better.

Why not just start really light? Get a feel for it.

fell off the wagon diet-wise for a while, but now I'm getting back into it. Lost 1lb this week and am seeing some changes in my waist. 8 lbs to go until my goal!

TheBear

Hey guys I've been trying out a few different protein powders which is difficult as I am lactose intolerant. I bought a container of pea protein, and whilst it tastes a bit bland it seems ok. I have no idea about what a good protein powder is supposed to do or what's supposed to be in it, only that I want 'weight-loss' protein and not a 'weight-gain' one full of carbs etc.

This is the product description of the one I bought:

https://www.nowfoods.com/sports-nutrition/pea-protein-dutch-chocolate-powder

Appreciate any advice. Cheers

Hey guys I've been trying out a few different protein powders which is difficult as I am lactose intolerant. I bought a container of pea protein, and whilst it tastes a bit bland it seems ok. I have no idea about what a good protein powder is supposed to do or what's supposed to be in it, only that I want 'weight-loss' protein and not a 'weight-gain' one full of carbs etc.

This is the product description of the one I bought:

https://www.nowfoods.com/sports-nutrition/pea-protein-dutch-chocolate-powder

Appreciate any advice. Cheers

MRM Veggie Elite Vanilla is GOAT.

I even made quest bars out of it. They were amazing.

Chocolate Mocha sucks, ftr.

Veggie Elite has half the carbs of yours so I guess it's better for weight loss. Bottom line is, it's cheap, tastes okay and mixes well. Amino acid profile is pretty similar.

TheBear

Veggie Elite has half the carbs of yours so I guess it's better for weight loss. Bottom line is, it's cheap, tastes okay and mixes well. Amino acid profile is pretty similar.

OK mine has 9g vs 4g. so I wouldn't be going backwards if I finished it and then tried out the one you recommended?

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Carnitine? (for weight loss)

Qwarktastic

Neo Member
Hello, first time I post here I hope you guys can help me. So about a year ago I went on a cut ( I had 20% body fat at the time) , I'm an active individual so my maintenance is of 3000kcal a day ( without counting working out) . So what happened was that I lowered my calories alot and upped my activity level, worst of all I lowered my fat intake ( 50g) . So you kinda guessed by now, I reached my goal, I was lean ( 13% bf) but my metabolism just never came back to normal. I have no energy, no libido, my freaking body temperature won't go above 35 degrees Celsius ( 95 Fahrenheit) . I don't know what to do, I upped my calories to maintenance, upped my fat intake, took time off from the gym and nothing has changed, am I already dead ? Lol

Can somebody tell me the role of Joker sets in Beyond 531?

So you've always got the option to push heavier weights / set PRs on a good day.

Some days you'll barely get through the standard reps, other days you'll be beasting so you wont want to waste that extra strength. (This is all explained in the book)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hello, first time I post here I hope you guys can help me. So about a year ago I went on a cut ( I had 20% body fat at the time) , I'm an active individual so my maintenance is of 3000kcal a day ( without counting working out) . So what happened was that I lowered my calories alot and upped my activity level, worst of all I lowered my fat intake ( 50g) . So you kinda guessed by now, I reached my goal, I was lean ( 13% bf) but my metabolism just never came back to normal. I have no energy, no libido, my freaking body temperature won't go above 35 degrees Celsius ( 95 Fahrenheit) . I don't know what to do, I upped my calories to maintenance, upped my fat intake, took time off from the gym and nothing has changed, am I already dead ? Lol
How long has this been going on? When cutting I reached a point where I had zero energy and had almost flu like symptoms minus an elevated temp some days. Couple of days carb loading and I was back to normal though.

Qwarktastic

Neo Member
How long has this been going on? When cutting I reached a point where I had zero energy and had almost flu like symptoms minus an elevated temp some days. Couple of days carb loading and I was back to normal though.

It feels like it's been going on forever honestly.... I started my original cutting phase on April 2016. I weighted 75 kg with 18% bf. By the end of May 2016 I weighted 71kg with 14% BF. And I kept going, my macros were roughly 2500kcal a day from which 200g of protein and between 50 to 60g of fat.I have an active job and I walk anywhere between 7 to 10km a day plus I lifted weights 4 times a week and ran 1h on Wednesdays. On weekends I still walked a lot and didn't do any cheat meals. I kept on cutting through the rest of the summer until I weighted 69kg with 13% bf. By then I already had all of the symptoms described on my OP. So ever since, I feel like crap all the time. I did blood tests everything was good besides vitamin D which I now take and my free levels of testosterone were low but my testosterone levels were normal. So I hope all this info can help some of you enlighten me because I am running out of options.

On the subject of, just hit my lowest ever recorded weight and lowest ever recorded body fat. I don't look great to be honest (losing muscle now because of all the cardio), but I'm not far off target so I'm going to stick with it. Just about maintaining my cycling performance, so that's the most important thing.

So I hope all this info can help some of you enlighten me because I am running out of options.

Have you bulked since?

So I guess this is a good place to ask this...

With the Nintendo Switch coming out, I'll probably be getting it soon. But with the Switch comes the Wii U being retired. However, with the Wii U being retired goes my Wii Fit U tracker software. I use the Wii Fit pedometer to track the distance I walk on a day to day basis.

So basically, is there a simple fitness doodad that can:

- Can clip onto my belt. I don't want to wear anything on my wrists, and I'm already used to wearing the belt clipped Wii Fit tracker. On my shoe or anything like that and I'd probably lose it.
- Isn't particularly complex, just tracking steps. I don't need heart rate or fancy GPS systems or anything like that
- Is "smart" and comes with some kind of app to record long term progress, that doesn't have any sort of subscription fee attached to it
- Bonus if it comes with some kind of mini game where I can trade my steps in for progress on some kind of thing like Wii Fit U.

ACE 1991

Ugh, workout this morning sucked. Bench press is for sure the most frustrating compound lift in terms of progress. It doesn't seem that any other lift has quite the frequency of stalling as BP does. I need to add more volume somewhere in my workout...

really disappointing last squat day of Candito. Hit 205x1, but was aiming for at least x2. I think I've improved in my 3 rep max, but it looks like my 1RM hasn't changed at all. I dunno what's up with that. Has anyone ever done Smolov, then seen their 1RM drop by like 10-15% after they finish?

At least my deadlift has really improved - I used to be able to get 185x1, now 185x3, and hopefully 190x3 on Wednesday. Still, I feel kinda bleh

ACE 1991

really disappointing last squat day of Candito. Hit 205x1, but was aiming for at least x2. I think I've improved in my 3 rep max, but it looks like my 1RM hasn't changed at all. I dunno what's up with that. Has anyone ever done Smolov, then seen their 1RM drop by like 10-15% after they finish?

At least my deadlift has really improved - I used to be able to get 185x1, now 185x3, and hopefully 190x3 on Wednesday. Still, I feel kinda bleh

How long have you been lifting for, and are you currently bulking or cutting?

Ugh, workout this morning sucked. Bench press is for sure the most frustrating compound lift in terms of progress. It doesn't seem that any other lift has quite the frequency of stalling as BP does. I need to add more volume somewhere in my workout...

That's OHP for me. Overall I find my upper body takes a lot longer to see any sort of progress.

How much do you weigh?

OldMan

Banned
Workout today could have been better, could have been worse. I'm mixing a gram of ginseng root in my post workout smoothie.

ACE 1991

^currently 138.2lbs at 5 feet 0in (I'm a thick-boned [my fingers barely touch when wrapping around my wrist] very short woman, about 30% bf right now)

Aiming to get to 130lbs without losing any muscle mass or strength

I was about to post that 205x1 seemed pretty low after 2 years of lifting, but I didn't realize you were a woman/130lb! Nevermind, you're way stronger than 99% of the female population, kudos. Seems like losing weight very slowly is the way to go if you wanna maintain strength.

haha yeah I peaked at 235lbsx1 squat after Smolov, which was awesome, but I've lost about 15% off that since, which is kinda whatever. 5 day a week deficit/ 2 day a week maintenance seems to be working well enough. hope I don't lose anymore strength, though, that would be really disappointing!

ACE 1991

haha yeah I peaked at 235lbsx1 squat after Smolov, which was awesome, but I've lost about 15% off that since, which is kinda whatever. 5 day a week deficit/ 2 day a week maintenance seems to be working well enough. hope I don't lose anymore strength, though, that would be really disappointing!

I can't say that I've ever seen a woman squat two plates, it must be fun to see the heads turn loading those bad boys up.

I can't say that I've ever seen a woman squat two plates, it must be fun to see the heads turn loading those bad boys up.

I want to say a saw a girl at my old gym do 205 like it was nothing, probably did more. I know she at least had a 45 and 35 on each side while I was paying attention.

(Not like that, brotato chips. Admiration only. I wish I could do 205. I'll get there, provided my back doesn't act up.)

Dear lord, the hand pain when deadlifting 440 lbs is real. Managed 440x3 today, the journey to 500lbs for reps will be a long one I suppose.

So I guess this is a good place to ask this...

With the Nintendo Switch coming out, I'll probably be getting it soon. But with the Switch comes the Wii U being retired. However, with the Wii U being retired goes my Wii Fit U tracker software. I use the Wii Fit pedometer to track the distance I walk on a day to day basis.

So basically, is there a simple fitness doodad that can:

- Can clip onto my belt. I don't want to wear anything on my wrists, and I'm already used to wearing the belt clipped Wii Fit tracker. On my shoe or anything like that and I'd probably lose it.
- Isn't particularly complex, just tracking steps. I don't need heart rate or fancy GPS systems or anything like that
- Is "smart" and comes with some kind of app to record long term progress, that doesn't have any sort of subscription fee attached to it
- Bonus if it comes with some kind of mini game where I can trade my steps in for progress on some kind of thing like Wii Fit U.

Uh, if you have an android phone it can pretty much do most of the step tracking for you already...and for free, minus the actual cost of your phone lol

https://www.google.com/fit/

vypek

Sometimes I get a pain in my leg when trying to squat. A pain that I had when I was younger that subsided. Decided to look it up since it's back and it seems I have Osgood-Schlatter disease

Hope it subsides soon

I'm currently running full-body stuff 3x week.

Should I be squatting and deadlifting in the same session?

I've been doing it the past few months, but looking back at it now, I'm not sure if that's completely efficient.

I'm currently running full-body stuff 3x week.

Should I be squatting and deadlifting in the same session?

I've been doing it the past few months, but looking back at it now, I'm not sure if that's completely efficient.

Deadlift is very taxing, I don't think you should do it each of the 3 days of the week. Consider something else that is similar but not as taxing. I am also doing full body 3 times a week but I do other back exercises instead. It really depends on how you feel and if you can handle it. How does your full body workout currently look?

Deadlift is very taxing, I don't think you should do it each of the 3 days of the week. Consider something else that is similar but not as taxing. I am also doing full body 3 times a week but I do other back exercises instead. It really depends on how you feel and if you can handle it. How does your full body workout currently look?

Day 1
Back Squat 3x10 or 5x8
Flat Bench Press 3x10 or 5x8
Machine Row or Seated Cable Row 3x10 or 5x8
Cable Lat Pulldown or (Machine for lats, I can't remember the name) 3x10 or 5x8
Arm work

Day 2
Front Squat 3x10 or 5x8
Deadlift 3x10 or 5x8 (I went really heavy 2 weeks ago and only did 3x5, but this is my general flow)
Standing OHP 5x5 or 5x8
Barbell Shrugs 5x5 or 5x8
Rack Pulls (above the knee)
1 or two more shoulder exercises

Day 3
Back Squat 3x10
Flat Bench Press 3x10
Lunges 3-4 sets, most of the length of the gym, or about 8-10 reps per leg
Leg Press, 3x10
Leg Extension 4-5 sets, 12-15 reps, light weight for burnout/less tension on knees

On my off days, I'm trying to do 10,000 pulls ups in a year, an project OmarIsuf completed last year.

I've been watching around my fitness subs (Athlean-X, AlphaDestiny, Buff Dudes, OmarIsuf, ScottHerman, AlanThrall), kind of analyzing my routine and trying to optimize it. Full body is the truth for me, especially higher volume, but I want to make sure that I'm both efficient and effective during this process.

vypek

Sometimes I get a pain in my leg when trying to squat. A pain that I had when I was younger that subsided. Decided to look it up since it's back and it seems I have Osgood-Schlatter disease

Hope it subsides soon

Read more on this.. Apparently I shouldn't do lower body exercises now

Top Bottom