• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

I have a question about protein consumption:

It is normally recommended to consume approximately .8-1g of protein per pound. If I follow that advice, how can I be sure that my body is consuming all of that protein and not storing it? How much of a workout must I do in order to not worry that it's turning into fat instead? How would I even measure that?

Is it 2 hours of intense weight lifting? What is it?

Calories from protein would just be part of your overall caloric intake. Take in too many, you'll store the excess. Don't worry about having too much protein specifically.

f0rk

Can I get a progress check? I started going to the gym in January and my PT seems pleased with how it's going but I wouldn't mind another opinion; I don't have anything to measure myself against.

The PT does my programme and I train with him once a week (I know I could have done starting strength or whatever but this helps a lot with motivation) and go by myself typically 3 times a week. The workouts are normally a compound lift or two and some dumbbell / weight machine / resistance band stuff.

I'm 5'9" and gone from 60.5kg at Christmas to 65.5kg now. Today I did 37.5kg squats (could probably go to 40kg) and 65kg deadlifts (which I've only just worked up to with the form). I know everyone everyone's different and I haven't really been pushing these numbers but is this OK progress?

KillerBEA

Must be national Deadlift day or something. So many people deadlifting on Thursdays. Saw some decent weight go up. Older-ish guy put up 500 for 3, one of the personal trainers was doing 300 odd for reps and sets, and some guy about my age attempted (broke off the floor but missed) 425.

I'm 5'9" and gone from 60.5kg at Christmas to 65.5kg now. Today I did 37.5kg squats (could probably go to 40kg) and 65kg deadlifts (which I've only just worked up to with the form). I know everyone everyone's different and I haven't really been pushing these numbers but is this OK progress?

Don't be too quick to measure yourself against anyone else. You're going up, that's what matters. Better to get the form dialled and progress sanely than start throwing on numbers you can't do properly and start risking injury.

RSP

Hey bros. I've lost 21lbs since the beginning of this year, just by cutting calories. I've got quite a way to go, but I aim to reach my goal in about a year.

I do plan on excercising (and will probably use P90X for that), but I think I'll be able to do this during the summer mostly. If I stop my workout routine in Fall, but continue my diet, will I gain weight again?

Chorazin

Hey bros. I've lost 21lbs since the beginning of this year, just by cutting calories. I've got quite a way to go, but I aim to reach my goal in about a year.

I do plan on excercising (and will probably use P90X for that), but I think I'll be able to do this during the summer mostly. If I stop my workout routine in Fall, but continue my diet, will I gain weight again?

I'm confused as to why the changing of the seasons would stop your exercising, especially since you're doing a indoor, video based workout.....

But that being said: If you're doing high intensity stuff like 90X you're gonna be hungry as fuck if you continue the calorie restriction you're on now, so make sure you adjust it to give you more but still less than you're burning in a day.

You'll still lose weight if you stop working out but you'll need to reduce your food intake again to match pre-workout levels which your body might be pissed about for a bit, making it easier to cheat on it.

3 weeks into canditos bench program. i think once i've finished with this. i'm going to write something up. i know where my problem areas are so those will be prioritized.

mdsfx

^Looking good FE!

Lol. I attempted to start a triathlon thread. It died before it was even born. Oh well.

Short race this Sunday and I'm hoping to do under 7:10 for 5 miles. I think I'm there, but of course I'm starting to feel like I'm coming down with something today. I'll show up and push myself regardless, but.. UGH.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone ever get a ganglion cyst on the inner side of their wrist?

How did you deal with it, if so? I've had one for a few months, I assume from putting to much pressure on the wrist doing calisthenics stuff, but I'm not sure what the best way to deal with it is. I'd rather not go in for surgery to have it removed if possible.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Anyone ever get a ganglion cyst on the inner side of their wrist?

How did you deal with it, if so? I've had one for a few months, I assume from putting to much pressure on the wrist doing calisthenics stuff, but I'm not sure what the best way to deal with it is. I'd rather not go in for surgery to have it removed if possible.
I have. It's pretty much gone at the moment. Didn't hurt or anything so to answer your question, I didn't do anything. Dealing with it involved trying to ignore it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have. It's pretty much gone at the moment. Didn't hurt or anything so to answer your question, I didn't do anything. Dealing with it involved trying to ignore it.

Thanks for the reply! It almost went away once, but came back again after I put too much pressure on it again.

It only really bothers me when I try to do push ups, crow stands, or bridges, and doesn't really affect any of my weightlifting/barbell work, but it still sucks...

How long did you have it?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks for the reply! It almost went away once, but came back again after I put too much pressure on it again.

It only really bothers me when I try to do push ups, crow stands, or bridges, and doesn't really affect any of my weightlifting/barbell work, but it still sucks...

How long did you have it?
It popped up out of the blue and probably lasted a month or so. My mom has it too and she says it comes and goes.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I fucking did it! And I was feeling like complete shit beforehand. I had diarrhea twice and was feeling weak in the legs, like I was going to passout.. but I got it! 😄

405x8 paused beltless

Traps take a beating when I do volume 😳

JkbXctJ.jpg

GrapeApes

Does the sumo stance for deadlift make it harder or easier?

I can't quite work it out. All I know is that my glutes feel amazing.
I pull conventional cause it's​ simpler. Pull weight up, put weight down. I've been trying to pull sumo recently. It's feeling better going up but going down with the bar not scraping my shit isn't something I've mastered.

Ixian

Finally got my Titan T-2 rack setup (thanks to my awesome girlfriend for helping out <3). It won't get its real test until squat day on Tuesday, but I'm looking forward to a little trial run with it today. :D

FitGAF, in all the years I've been a part of this community... not once did anyone tell me you can make oatmeal in a rice cooker. My entire world has changed.

(Someone may have mentioned it, but I missed it.)

SpecX

Starting my 2nd week at the gym with a friend and been keeping up for the most part. I'm following along with his routine and taking the weekends off to spend time with the kids and rest my body. My biggest challenges so far have been pull ups and dead lifts. Pull ups I've never had the upper body strength to do, so I'm doing a modified version with bands, but dead lifts are kicking my ass.

I can't seem to get the form down trying both the standard stance, alternating my hands, or sumo stance. My partner is saying I need to work on my flexibility since I'm too stiff in certain areas and not getting the proper hip and shoulder movements down. Any pointers or reference videos I should study to help with this? Browsed YouTube already and planning on doing some homework this evening while I get my cardio done.

Jokab

Why does GAF recommend the program listed in the OP over Strongman and Starting Strength? I'm a huge novice who very recently started going to the gym and I'm looking at programs because I want something digestible to follow every time. The alternate full body program looks very close to Starting Strength but not exactly. Why the change?

Just went to a bulk food retailer(Bulk Barn) and bought a bunch of oatmeal/sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds/chia seeds to use in my shakes and up my carb/protein count as I plan on bulking as cleanly as possible.

I bought it on my lunch break and on the walk back I had come to the realization that it was the first time in my life that I've ever bought anything remotely healthy from Bulk Barn(I always buy various gummies from them or ingredients for baking various unhealthy desserts). So this is what it feels like to be a responsible adult.

KillerBEA

Got a nice PR on Overhead Press. 117.5 for 4 reps when previous best was 2 reps, and then did 4 additional doubles after that. Pretty decent rep and volume PR.

Why does GAF recommend the program listed in the OP over Strongman and Starting Strength? I'm a huge novice who very recently started going to the gym and I'm looking at programs because I want something digestible to follow every time. The alternate full body program looks very close to Starting Strength but not exactly. Why the change?

Just interjection of opinions, the deeper you get into this the more and more you see this.

Just pick one of the novice programs mentioned, either the outlined one or linked ones, doesn't really matter which and stick to it. They will all get you results.

Just interjection of opinions, the deeper you get into this the more and more you see this.

Just pick one of the novice programs mentioned, either the outlined one or linked ones, doesn't really matter which and stick to it. They will all get you results.

100% this. Ask around, and I can almost guarantee that very few people in this thread are even running the same program. You'll see Starting Strength and 5/3/1 mentioned a lot but even those have variations within the program.

y'all I swear if I didn't improve on squats at all in these last 12 weeks im gonna lose it
(bench and deadlifts have been really good tho so it'll only be 1/3 losing it)

bchamba

I've been pushing the volume a lot recently doing like 10 working sets for each compound so I'm dialing it back to give my body a break. Yesterday did deadlifts 420 for a 3x4 and then an amrap set of 10. Also been slowly trying to cut down from being a fat powerlifter to being a less fat powerlifter. Waking up at 213 this week, down 5-7 lbs from a couple months ago.

Any fit Canadians ever done or trained for the PARE test for the RCMP and other police forces ? I'm interested in becominga mountie. I'm not worried about the strength portion, but the cardio. Thinking of starting some HIIT classes. Any tips or experiences to share ?

So since this is a knee problem, and you guys are only able to provide an answer with what I give you, and even though I'm about to take a lot of time off from squats, if my knee doesn't get better, I will go see a doctor.

Basically due to going heavy on squats and poor form, the middle part of left knee has been causing problems. It has been going on for months, BUT the reason why months is I never took time off from squats.

If I take a week off, and I come back to squats with my form good, my knee continues to get better. If my form is bad, I feel it in the middle of my left knee. When I relax my knee cap and press in the middle of my knee, it hurts. Not excruciating pain, but definitely slight pain.

It pops a lot. I can squat all the way down in a duck walk position, and doesn't cause problems as for range of motion.

There is a slight bump, like swelling in the middle of the knee cap. It's a very small bump.

I started a new job months ago, and it's my first desk job. Also, I wear work shoes, which probably doesn't help with healing.

If I tore something in my knee, would I be constant pain or something like that?

I'm really hoping I just need to rest and lay off squats for awhile.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I don't do much cardio anymore. In fact, I primarily lift weights. I'm 6', 185lbs. I have some abdominal and back fat I badly want to get rid of, but cardio is just too damn boring to do to ensure I lose it.

I am fully pledged to squats and deadlifts as my main forms of exercises and have been for months now (not including all the obvious forms of exercise for the rest of my body, but these two I enjoy doing the most when it comes to leg day). If I continue at this and don't do cardio but check my diet into submission by eating much better (which I have been), can I expect to lose this fat?

Or do I really need to suck it up and get cardio in?

I ask because I've heard stories of people losing all excess body fat and getting shredded without a lick of cardio because they lifted an enormous amount of weights.

Top Bottom