• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Schooly D

Hey guys, sorry if this is redundant, but can anyone recommend mass gainer supplement brands that work?

I lift 5 times a week and strive to eat enough to grow, but as an ectomorph, eating enough to retain mass and size is always a struggle. If there are any powders that I can drink in addition to my meals, it'd make consuming enough to get bigger far easier.

Thanks.

You can make your own for way less money. Pick calorie-dense foods and blend until liquid: milk, chocolate milk, oats, peanut butter, bananas, heavy cream, ice cream, eggs, and such

vypek

Scale says the weight is going down but I'm not seeing the difference yet. Ah, well. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Overhead press is coming back. And with it my shoulder pain is going away.

225lb x 5

https://youtu.be/GlVIR8znO_U

Hey guys, sorry if this is redundant, but can anyone recommend mass gainer supplement brands that work?

I lift 5 times a week and strive to eat enough to grow, but as an ectomorph, eating enough to retain mass and size is always a struggle. If there are any powders that I can drink in addition to my meals, it'd make consuming enough to get bigger far easier.

Thanks.

Peanut butter, whole milk and oats.

Forgot to share. PR 7:07min/mi for 5 miles at the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle 8K. Next year is 6:50 or bust!

Nice bud!

Anyone have some advice for my two issues:
1. My outer thigh area is not developed at all, for some reason. I hit legs pretty hard and have a fairly respectable squat (355) but for some reason, the outside of my thighs are flat as hell. I have very long limbs, but I would still want to get them more rounded. Any supplemental exercises I could try? Vary my stance in squats or leg press?

2. The inner part of my chest and the bottom of my chest area need work. I have a good amount of thickness from my shoulder to my armpit - in that general chest area but under my nipple is not as elevated as I would like and the inner part of my chest is not as full as I would want it. I think my problem is that I have incredibly wide shoulders so I feel like my chest is a bit more stretched than most people's.

Appreciate any tips! Also, nice work on that 225 OHP. That's beast.

Greddleok

So...

I'm going to my first Weightlifting competition in July with guys and gals from my gym. It's an absolute amateur event, but I'm still super excited.

I need to cut down the weight though. I'm a little flabby, and slap bang in the middle of two weight classes, so either I play with the big boys and get crushed, or I lose some fat and possibly some strength.

I have a decent diet for losing weight slowly, but anyone have tips for the last week or so? Some ways to rapidly drop a few hundred grams to ensure I'm good for the weigh-in?

GrapeApes

So...

I'm going to my first Weightlifting competition in July with guys and gals from my gym. It's an absolute amateur event, but I'm still super excited.

I need to cut down the weight though. I'm a little flabby, and slap bang in the middle of two weight classes, so either I play with the big boys and get crushed, or I lose some fat and possibly some strength.

I have a decent diet for losing weight slowly, but anyone have tips for the last week or so? Some ways to rapidly drop a few hundred grams to ensure I'm good for the weigh-in?
Was in the same dilemma a couple months back. Ended up trying some stuff from YouTube. I drink a lot of water normally so I just ended up drinking a whole lot less on the last day. Like 10oz the final day.

Greddleok

Was in the same dilemma a couple months back. Ended up trying some stuff from YouTube. I drink a lot of water normally so I just ended up drinking a whole lot less on the last day. Like 10oz the final day.

Did it help? I guess if it's water weight, I should just remove salt from my diet for one day. Might make a difference...

GrapeApes

Did it help? I guess if it's water weight, I should just remove salt from my diet for one day. Might make a difference...
It helped. I also only ate like half of the calories I normally consume that final day. Lost about 5 pounds. Weighed in like 3 pounds under.

Greddleok

It helped. I also only ate like half of the calories I normally consume that final day. Lost about 5 pounds. Weighed in like 3 pounds under.

5lbs...that's like 2kg. Quite a lot! I only need to lose 6kg in total. Should be doable without water manipulation, but it's nice to have a back up in case something goes wrong.

Overhead press is coming back. And with it my shoulder pain is going away.

225lb x 5

https://youtu.be/GlVIR8znO_U
giphy.gif

Jokab

Did my first day at the gym as a regular member (did a test week with a lifter friend who showed me how to do everything) today, went well. I was the only one doing deadlifts in the 1,5 hours I was there (did cardio first and some extra rest, that's why it took so long) and the gym was packed the whole time. Feels kinda good to know that lol

beauuutiful first day of the third cycle of Candito. Squats 175x4x6, deadlifts 170x2x6, front squats 100x3x8, box jumps 3x3. Even though my numbers didn't increase much from the last cycle, this definitely felt a lot easier than last time *flex emoji*

I managed to get a 1-rep PR of 305 on my deadlift last Friday(6ft at 155lbs atm). It felt really good to finally hit it as I still remember struggling to even hit 95 lbs on deadlift a back in 2015 when I first attempted to start powerlifting exercises.

Thanks.

You can make your own for way less money. Pick calorie-dense foods and blend until liquid: milk, chocolate milk, oats, peanut butter, bananas, heavy cream, ice cream, eggs, and such

As a fellow ectomorph I support this. It does end up being quite a bit cheaper and more importantly a lot healthier overall. However if the extra work will prevent you from doing it I'd just go for an off-the-shelf solution. I personally used QuickMass by AllMax when I was trying to gain weight early and it helped quite a bit. I was a lot tighter on the amount of free time I had(I had like 5 hours of sleep back then daily) so it did honestly help in being able to just go home after the gym and down a big shake made from easily mixed powder. There's the convenience factor of it.

So...

For your first ever competition, don't bother it's not worth it.

TheFlow

Banned

Thanks.
eat like a sumo wrestler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW7n2UP60bk

KillerBEA

So...

For your first meet i wouldnt worry too much about weight class. Show up to get some experience.

If you insist on making weight for the lower weight class. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O65ZszQToEM

Greddleok

For your first ever competition, don't bother it's not worth it.

For your first meet i wouldnt worry too much about weight class. Show up to get some experience.

If you insist on making weight for the lower weight class. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O65ZszQToEM

I'm actually liking this weight class thing, because it's given me a goal for weight loss. Normally I lose weight, then end up putting it back on again, since the goal was to just lose it. Now I have a reason to get to 85Kg and stick there.

I don't think I'm going to worry too much about water manipulation etc, I just want to get to 85Kg normally, then stay there.

Faiz

It makes plenty of sense from the "if it fits your macros" perspective.

You mean the same OT GAF that spends most of its time eating pizza and talking about comic book movies?

I mean the OT GAF that says "you think fruit is healthy? Lolsugarlol". There's a surprising number of them that crawl out of the woodwork anytime nutrition threads pop up.

ACE 1991

Unbanned (accidentally port-begged), thank christ! Switched my PPL routine progression over to 5/3/1 for the first compound lift and it's going well so far. Anyone doing a PPL variation with a similar setup? Starting a shortish 8 week cut to drop 8-10 pounds, so we'll so how long I can keep the strength gains up.

sphinx

the piano man
so far so good,cut going well. (pic taken today)

I look like a twig but it had to be done,the way I was eating and (not really) training sent me to a dead-end, the idea is to reach a near- sixpack and then be smarter with calorie intake ,

those lovehandles and "tire" I had around the waste, like 2 months ago, that was shameful.

dirty bulk never again. .

I keep missing my breakfast pretty consistently as I'm always in a rush out the door. I need to find something high calorie I can make the night before, or get better at waking up earlier. Sadly, I sleep like shit (always have) so getting up 15 minutes before I leave is hard to avoid.

The Pope

GAF I am eating less then 40g of Carbs a day and going to gym. The first few days I nearly died and had all my strength sapped. Recently it has not been so bad. I just want some moderate muscle devlopment. I consume a lot of protein. Should I go back to eating carbs?

GAF I am eating less then 40g of Carbs a day and going to gym. The first few days I nearly died and had all my strength sapped. Recently it has not been so bad. I just want some moderate muscle devlopment. I consume a lot of protein. Should I go back to eating carbs?

Dont think about it as carbs, think about it as fuel.

ACE 1991

I keep missing my breakfast pretty consistently as I'm always in a rush out the door. I need to find something high calorie I can make the night before, or get better at waking up earlier. Sadly, I sleep like shit (always have) so getting up 15 minutes before I leave is hard to avoid.

I just eat a calorie dense protein bar on my drive to work because I can't be bothered to deal with cooking bullshit in the AM. Other (and probably healthier) alternatives are 3-4 hard boiled eggs in the morning. Pro-tip: throw a lil' pepper and dijon mustard on them for super lazy deviled eggs, it's delicious.

I used to skip breakfast too now i'm using Joylent sport for breakfast every day (~800 calories shake ). I prepare it at night and put it in the fridge.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Man... even a small amount more calories has made me a ridiculous amount stronger. Crazy.
What's crazy is that you said your cycling was unaffected. Losing strength might be expected if your body is literally not getting enough energy is not unexpected, but only losing peak strength is interesting.

KmA

I haven't done bench presses for almost 6 months until this morning and I got up to 185. Before I could do 135 for like 8ish reps before collapsing. I switched to dumbbell presses only because benching irritated my shoulders before but they feel fine now. I just want to be able to press a respectable amount of weight lmao there are so many high school kids at my gym who just throw on 2 plates on each side and do it easy... I'm just like... how

ACE 1991

I haven't done bench presses for almost 6 months until this morning and I got up to 185. Before I could do 135 for like 8ish reps before collapsing. I switched to dumbbell presses only because benching irritated my shoulders before but they feel fine now. I just want to be able to press a respectable amount of weight lmao there are so many high school kids at my gym who just throw on 2 plates on each side and do it easy... I'm just like... how

Bench is so weird like that. It's also very directly related to how much you weigh.

Top Bottom