• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

KmA

I'm only like 165 and my chest is probably my weakest muscle group. But I've been doing a lot of pushups it feels like it's been helping.

KillerBEA

Finally starting to suck less at Chinups. Applying a more practical approach to training them seems to be working instead of just going at it like I was last year.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Finally starting to suck less at Chinups. Applying a more practical approach to training them seems to be working instead of just going at it like I was last year.

I used a technique called greasing the groove for chinups/pullups. It helped me tremendously in being able to do more repetitions in work sets. You should look into it.

On a side note my diet is going really well. Myfitnesspal is the absoute best. Can't believe I went so long without tracking my macros. I am already noticing improvements at a rapid pace.

KillerBEA

I used a technique called greasing the groove for chinups/pullups. It helped me tremendously in being able to do more repetitions in work sets. You should look into it.

I am doing the same basic principle but applying it in a slightly different fashion. Today was the end of the first cycle for it.

Week 1. Endless Doubles. I got 8 sets, 16 total reps
Week 2. Endless Triples. I got 7 sets, 21 total reps.
Week 3. 1 AMRAP set. I got 7 reps.
Repeat

velociraptor

On a side note my diet is going really well. Myfitnesspal is the absoute best. Can't believe I went so long without tracking my macros. I am already noticing improvements at a rapid pace.
Does this involve doing reps before reaching failure, with many sets throughout the day?

what are you using to get your macros?

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
what are you using to get your macros?

I have a scale now and myfitnesspal also has a really big database. In terms of food mostly potatoes, oatmeal rice and tons of chicken breasts

Does this involve doing reps before reaching failure, with many sets throughout the day?

Yeah, typically a rule of thumb is every hour on the hour you do the exercise that you are trying to improve on. No more than 5 reps in a set though.

Got those Costco protein bars. They sure are cheap but man they don't taste very good. I guess I'll get used to them.

It does take some getting used to, still don't think I'm quite there yet with the double chocolate, but I actually like the chocolate chip ones now. Can't really beat that costco price though.

red731

I started working out again. DDP Yoga and SS last week - ABA.

I want to choke someone and smash my fists into buildings right now.
I feel I am irritated, aggressive and can see it spill in my work communication also.

Is this normal?

Jokab

Which app/site do you guys use to track progression? Couldn't find anything in the OP. I tried MyFitnessPal but it seems way more focused on losing weight, which is not my goal since I'm skinny already -- I'm looking to get stronger.

BTW this dude that started at the same time as me today... He seriously did 8 sets of 5 on both squats and bench press, on his working weight. 3-4 sets warmup on each and then 8 sets on working weight. Not exceedingly strong either, only squated 10kg more than me and I'm a complete beginner. What's the point of doing that many sets?

Teggy

I feel I am irritated, aggressive and can see it spill in my work communication also.

Is this normal?

No

Is this normal?

either lower the trt or up your estrogen

Teggy

either lower the trt or up your estrogen

Hey, I wasn't going to go there.

My recomp since February has been really weird. I hadn't been to the gym in a good 7-8 months and had been eating like crap. I was up over 210 and should be in the 175-180 range. The day after the super bowl I started eating like a normal person again and started back at the gym. I haven't been counting calories, just eating what I know is in the 1700-1900 range.

2.5 months on I have lost a lot of weight in my waist and rear based on my belt holes, but I am still at 208. I don't see how I could have made that kind of fat/muscle swap in that period of time.

I am back to cycling, so if I can prevent myself from refeeding after rides I expect I'll start seeing weight come off.

alejob

I pulled/tore something in my left leg 3 days ago. I was doing leg presses. It's in my inner thigh about 4 or 5 inches below the crotch. Not sure if its a hammy or adductor muscle. I've pulled a hammy and this feels different. It's not terrible and only feel it once in a while when I push off to stand up.

Not sure what I can do yet. I can get on a bike if I keep the resistance down.

Not sure how long I need to stay off it. I will start testing it next week. Right now I will just work on my upper body and calves.

BTW, I've gone up about 9 pounds in two and a half months. I'm tall and skinny fat. I've never had much muscle mass.

Chorazin

I pulled/tore something in my left leg 3 days ago. I was doing leg presses. It's in my inner thigh about 4 or 5 inches below the crotch. Not sure if its a hammy or adductor muscle. I've pulled a hammy and this feels different. It's not terrible and only feel it once in a while when I push off to stand up.

Not sure what I can do yet. I can get on a bike if I keep the resistance down.

Not sure how long I need to stay off it. I will start testing it next week. Right now I will just work on my upper body and calves.

BTW, I've gone up about 9 pounds in two and a half months. I'm tall and skinny fat. I've never had much muscle mass.

Sounds like a pulled hamstring, you'd know if you tore that fucker! Mines acting up right now as well, so stretching, Chest, back, shoulders, core work for a few days till it quits being a bitch.

Jokab

As I've chronicled briefly, started going to the gym this week. Just wanna check in how weak I am in comparison to other complete beginners. Of course I'm gonna compete against myself but just wanna check. I'm 24, weighing 75kg (150lbs) at 189cm (6'2"). These are the numbers I managed last time working out, doing SS.

Bench 50kg
Squat 50kg
Deadlift 60kg (failed last in my 1x5 tho)
Press 25kg

Disxo

As I've chronicled briefly, started going to the gym this week. Just wanna check in how weak I am in comparison to other complete beginners. Of course I'm gonna compete against myself but just wanna check. I'm 24, weighing 75kg (150lbs) at 189cm (6'2"). These are the numbers I managed last time working out, doing SS.

Bench 50kg
Squat 50kg
Press 25kg

Weigh: 60kg, 174 cm, I am short :(
Squat: Used to do 30x12, injured half a year ago.
Deadlift: 50kg x 10, injured half a year ago.
Bench: 40kg x 8.

Been going to the gym since I was 16, now, two years later I am finally improving, these 6 months were bestial.

Will bench, squat and deadlift my weight any moment now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Is this normal?

This is ALMOST the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum.

I am back to cycling, so if I can prevent myself from refeeding after rides I expect I'll start seeing weight come off.

I know that one from experience... it's a toughie. lol

On a related note. Did an endurance bikepacking event yesterday (basically bikes with bags on so you can sleep overnight) and I ended up lifting people's bikes for them because they couldn't get them over fences etc. Also ended up pushing my friend's fatbike up hills for him as he didn't have the strength. Wouldn't be so funny, but I weigh a good 20kg (45lbs) less than most of the people I was helping.

God bless weight training. :D

NEO0MJ

Is it really a mistake to take a preworkout like Bullnox? My friend is saying I shouldn't use it, but I feel so energized when taking it 🤔

Might be a mistake to take that one... given a lot of the ingredients have no scientifically proven advantages.

You'd need to look into each one to see if they have any negatives though.

entremet

GAF I am eating less then 40g of Carbs a day and going to gym. The first few days I nearly died and had all my strength sapped. Recently it has not been so bad. I just want some moderate muscle devlopment. I consume a lot of protein. Should I go back to eating carbs?

Why are eating so little carbs? Are you trying to do keto?

You need to adapt. It may take time. And get that fat in. Fat is fuel on keto.

Too many people do low carb willy nilly. They forget about upping the fat intake. Don't do that ;)

There's an active keto thread going on now. Check it out.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Hit 425x5 paused again after being sick for a week. I think I will restart with volume and see if I can get 10-20lbs added to that in two months. Followed by 405 2x5 paused, surprised I did that after 😁

NEO0MJ

Might be a mistake to take that one... given a lot of the ingredients have no scientifically proven advantages.

You'd need to look into each one to see if they have any negatives though.

I guess I'll stop then after I finish what I have. Won't last me until the end of the month.
Can someone tell me if my current training program is OK or if I should change it?

Friday:
Lat Pulldown 3x10
Compound Row 3x10
Pullover 3x10
Decline Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Machine Tricep Extension 3x10
Tricep Pushdowns 3x10

Saturday:
Barbell Squat 3x10
Leg Press 3x10
Lying​ Leg Curl 3x10
Standing Calf Raise Machine 3x15
Leg Extension Machine 3x10
V-Crunch 3x25
Abdominal Machine 3x15

Monday:
Flat Barbell Bench Press 3x10
Cable Crossover 3x10
Seated Machine Fly 3x10
T-Bar Row 3x10
Dumbbell Hammer Curl 3x10
Seated Machine Curl 3x10

Tuesday:
Barbell Squat 3x10
Lateral Machine Raise 3x10
Lateral Dumbbell Raise 3x10
Front Dumbbell Raise 3x10
Shrugs 3x10
Machine Crunch 3x20
Abdominal Machine 3x15

ACE 1991

Is it really a mistake to take a preworkout like Bullnox? My friend is saying I shouldn't use it, but I feel so energized when taking it ��

Lol it's fine, just don't start taking multiple scoops a day. Pre-workout is just "designer caffeine" with some other stuff thrown in. I personally use and love it, but it's definitely overpriced.

been adding 10lbs to all my lifts every week till I get back to where I was.

time for that Monday motivation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fdcMw0Bj0

Dude's a beast. Steroids look like such fun man

So, I have a third kid due in september and I NEED to be in shape physically and emotionally.

Stats
191 lbs
5'9
26% body fat

I have put my choices to do something into practice but may need some guidance. I would like to build muscle, get cut and shed the fat, really.

As of last week, I have been getting up at 5am to run 4 miles. This is followed up with 50 pushups and 35 situps.

I started making breakfast the night before. Here is where I may need help. Currently, I eat eggs and a side of veggie and cheerios (no milk) after my morning routine followed by a bottle of water.

For snacks I eat veggie crackers.

For lunch its salad, chicken made the night before. No dressing.

Next meal is dinner.

I drink 5 cups of coffee a day. I imagine I'll have to do away with this.

At night, before I go into caveman mode and play games/watch TV, I do another 50 pushups.

I cannot afford a gym membership as the closest one to me is 7 miles and doesnt fit my budget. I do have weights at home. I also ordered a punching bag online which should arrive no later than wednesday.

Any thoughts and advice would greatly be appreciated.

lenovox1

Any thoughts and advice would greatly be appreciated.

You may want to start a routine with progression so you don't get bored. And you need a pull up bar or a place to do pull ups so you can work your upper body's pull muscles.

Is the coffee you're drinking black? If it's not, start drinking black coffee.

Maybe get some resistance bands, a kettlebell, and a box to do jumps. You could then create/follow a conditioning program kinda similar to what they do in crossfit. They're brutal but really effective at building endurance and strength.

You may want to start a routine with progression so you don't get bored. And you need a pull up bar or a place to do pull ups so you can work your upper body's pull muscles.

Is the coffee you're drinking black? If it's not, start drinking black coffee.

awesome, have a pull up bar in garage. thanks for the reminder!

Also, coffee is black but riddled with creamer that i worry about.

Thanks very much for your thoughts

Maybe get some resistance bands, a kettlebell, and a box to do jumps. You could then create/follow a conditioning program kinda similar to what they do in crossfit. They're brutal but really effective at building endurance and strength.

Damn, Thank you. I need a box and a program. I'll work on this tonight.

Caderfix

I'm on a new diet and it is HELL for me. I'm eating a total of 3000 calories a day. Eating that much is actually uncomfortable. I have no idea how folks are able to do way more than that. I feel like I'm going to explode after each meal and when it's finally getting better, it's time for the next one. It's crazy.

Ledbetter

Bench 50kg
Squat 50kg
Press 25kg

I started doing Stronglifts exactly one month ago. I'm 22, 70 kg. and 185 cm. Initial weights were (with the weights I lift now):

Squat - 25 kg. -> 55 kg.
Bench / Barbell Row - 20 kg. -> 40 kg
Overhead Press - 15 kg. -> 32.5 kg.
Deadlift - 35 kg. -> 65 kg.

So you started with twice the weight I did, if that makes you feel better. I haven't had any failures yet, but OHP is getting harder.

ACE 1991

I'm on a new diet and it is HELL for me. I'm eating a total of 3000 calories a day. Eating that much is actually uncomfortable. I have no idea how folks are able to do way more than that. I feel like I'm going to explode after each meal and when it's finally getting better, it's time for the next one. It's crazy.

Are you making high-calorie shakes? If not, this is the key for those who don't have big appetites but are trying to pack on weight. 2 cups 2% or whole milk + 1 - 2 servings of peanut butter, + 1.5-2 servings of quick oats, 1 scoop whey protein powder. It'll be 700-1000 calories, pretty tasty, and super easy to down. Throw in a banana or something else if you want to.

Jokab

I started doing Stronglifts exactly one month ago. I'm 22, 70 kg. and 185 cm. Initial weights were (with the weights I lift now):

Squat - 25 kg. -> 55 kg.
Bench / Barbell Row - 20 kg. -> 40 kg
Overhead Press - 15 kg. -> 32.5 kg.
Deadlift - 35 kg. -> 65 kg.

So you started with twice the weight I did, if that makes you feel better. I haven't had any failures yet, but OHP is getting harder.

Damn, nice improvements. Hopefully I can do something similar to this when a month has passed.

Ledbetter

Damn, nice improvements. Hopefully I can do something similar to this when a month has passed.

Thanks! I started with pretty low weights to work with the form of the exercises (although is not like I could lift much more than those initial weights), but I finally found something that I look forward to exercise and see some progress. For the app, I'd recommend the Stronglifts one, it cost me like $7 but it can track 3x5 like SS (just replace the Row with the Power Clean, if you're doing that) and it tells you the warmup sets you have to do for each exercise.

Caderfix

Are you making high-calorie shakes? If not, this is the key for those who don't have big appetites but are trying to pack on weight. 2 cups 2% or whole milk + 1 - 2 servings of peanut butter, + 1.5-2 servings of quick oats, 1 scoop whey protein powder. It'll be 700-1000 calories, pretty tasty, and super easy to down. Throw in a banana or something else if you want to.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. Currently I'm just eating a lot of clean food... I hope it works haha

mulac

Ok i'm done. Weight and bodyshape has been yoyo-ing too much the past 2 years.

I'm trying to eat healthy and exercise when I can but the fatty gut doesnt seem to shift and the final nail in the coffin was yesterday when I was trying on clothes I own.

Joining the F45 8-Week Challenge...anyone have any experience with this? (+ strict meal plan no sugar, dairy, reduce portion sizes, only black coffee, no alcohol).

For the record 36-year Corporate Workaholic who gets 5hrs of sleep a night :)

All that will likely happen when you finish that 8 week challenge (which will almost certainly work, they usually do) is that you'll start slipping back towards old habits and within a few months you'll be back where you started. All of the people on this forum that have had the most success have been the ones who have made changes to their lives that they don't have to fight to stick to long term.

Also, sleep more. There's a strong correlation between lack of sleep and poor body composition.

NEO0MJ

I guess I'll stop then after I finish what I have. Won't last me until the end of the month.
Can someone tell me if my current training program is OK or if I should change it?

No need answered me 😢

Lol it's fine, just don't start taking multiple scoops a day. Pre-workout is just "designer caffeine" with some other stuff thrown in. I personally use and love it, but it's definitely overpriced.

I don't take more than one, sometimes I even don't fill the scoop.

Top Bottom