• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Quarter squatting should be abolished. Seen a guy in the gym with 455 on the bar. That's pretty big weight for a commercial gym. This dude even had on knee wraps. Such a disappointment when he stopped a quarter of the way down. I should have known better cause he had on a Valeo belt and sneakers.

Kai Greene always talks about how everyone wants to be a weight lifter instead of a body builder, moving weight around instead of getting the proper stretch and contraction that promotes muscle growth.

KillerBEA

Quarter squatting should be abolished. Seen a guy in the gym with 455 on the bar. That's pretty big weight for a commercial gym. This dude even had on knee wraps. Such a disappointment when he stopped a quarter of the way down. I should have known better cause he had on a Valeo belt and sneakers.
No, because they have their place in ATHLETIC training. Quarter squats are better for improving vertical jumping and sprintimg ability than any other squat variation.

So the cable curl. I do one where you use what looks like the handle of a spade and I use both hands to lift 30 kg and it seems the weight is being lifted by my back(spine, it seems like) instead of my arms. It really scares me. I noticed when I do dumbbell curls if I do weights that are too heavy for me, the same thing happens. It's like my back is gonna snap.

KillerBEA

So the cable curl. I do one where you use what looks like the handle of a spade and I use both hands to lift 30 kg and it seems the weight is being lifted by my back(spine, it seems like) instead of my arms. It really scares me. I noticed when I do dumbbell curls if I do weights that are too heavy for me, the same thing happens. It's like my back is gonna snap.

Personally I never go below 8 reps for curls and focus on the contraction, which is one of the few lifts I do that with. Rows, Pullups and Chinups are better for 'heavy' bicep work.

Imm0rt4l

pou_7153.png

For the homie Sean

Personally I never go below 8 reps for curls and focus on the contraction, which is one of the few lifts I do that with. Rows, Pullups and Chinups are better for 'heavy' bicep work.
I try to go 3x15 for everything I do now. I have nowhere to do rows, I think, and I look like a loon if I try pullups because I can't pull it off, I just hang there. I still try it now every time I finish everything I do, it's quite fun.

KillerBEA

I try to go 3x15 for everything I do now. I have nowhere to do rows, I think, and I look like a loon if I try pullups because I can't pull it off, I just hang there. I still try it now every time I finish everything I do, it's quite fun.

I just do Rows wherever I can 'claim' space, same with Deadlifts if somebody else is using the platform. I usally I set up in a Rack (there are 4 plus a DL platform and I row more than most of these goons Squat so they can bite me, actually wait I row more than I squat...) otherwise I just take up some floor space and do them there. Can also do Dumbbell variations using free benches.

So I figured i'd run my cut till I went on vacation, which is tomorrow. Never took any before pics this year, have plenty of older, fatter photos of me so didn't care this time around. But when I started my cut on March 20 I was 173lbs. Been at it since with a goal of getting under 150lbs. (I haven't been under 150lbs in like, 8+ years)

My weight as of today is 144lbs. Definitely feels crazy to get that low. Overall my cut went well, I'd say only recently (past few weeks) has my strength dropped a good amount in a few areas. Nothing I'm too worried about though, once i bump calories back up a bit I feel confident I'll get back to where I was quick.

So, here is me as of right now. I sort've "cheated" in this shot since the lighting in my room makes me look pretty good. Plus, was definitely attempting to flex my abs in this shot. But whatever, taking whatever i can get for a public photo!

jMhH9gu.jpg

I am very much looking forward to eating like shit for the next week while at the beach :)

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
shrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeded bruh good job.

Damn how are you guys able to weigh so little? Here I am currently 190 having a tough time getting down to 180 at 5;10 lol

KillerBEA

He who shall not be named.

99% of people quarter squatting aren't doing it for athletics. If it was Usain Bolt I'd understand.
Why do I have to be Usain Bolt to quarter squat? What if i am just somebody that wants to get better for highschool, or college sports? Or even a local league? A lot of young guys are doing off season training right now to get stronger and more athletic for there sport (s).

Some people (alot) dont have the requisite mobility or have an old injury that prevents them from Squatting lower You just dont know that persons past, their goals/what they are training for. Sure there are dumbasses who ego lift but who cares, just ignore them. The less attention they get the more likely they are to stop it.

I just do Rows wherever I can 'claim' space, same with Deadlifts if somebody else is using the platform. I usally I set up in a Rack (there are 4 plus a DL platform and I row more than most of these goons Squat so they can bite me, actually wait I row more than I squat...) otherwise I just take up some floor space and do them there. Can also do Dumbbell variations using free benches.
Oh wait, I searched on Google for rows and I've been doing that. I really like it, though I'm confused if I'm doing it right since some people do it by pulling with their back, if that makes sense. I pull with just my arms and try to maintain a good, straight posture on my upper body.

GrapeApes

Why do I have to be Usain Bolt to quarter squat? What if i am just somebody that wants to get better for highschool, or college sports? Or even a local league? A lot of young guys are doing off season training right now to get stronger and more athletic for there sport (s).

Some people (alot) dont have the requisite mobility or have an old injury that prevents them from Squatting lower You just dont know that persons past, their goals/what they are training for. Sure there are dumbasses who ego lift but who cares, just ignore them. The less attention they get the more likely they are to stop it.
People gonna ego lift till the end of time. Quarter squats are almost always done for ego in commercial gym settings. You don't like I'm shaming dude fine but let's not pretend most people doing them are trying to sprint or jump high.

KillerBEA

Oh wait, I searched on Google for rows and I've been doing that. I really like it, though I'm confused if I'm doing it right since some people do it by pulling with their back, if that makes sense. I pull with just my arms and try to maintain a good, straight posture on my upper body.

Its a back and arms movement. Different variations slightly favor one over the other. Personally a fan of Pendlay Rows, Seal Rows, and Meadows Rows.

People gonna ego lift till the end of time. Quarter squats are almost always done for ego in commercial gym settings. You don't like I'm shaming dude fine but let's not pretend most people doing them are trying to sprint or jump high.
Yeah sure people do it for ego, but just remember there are a very good number of reasons to do Quarter/half squats besides ego.

DrFurbs

Has any one tired intermittent fasting to cut?

I was around 196lbs 5 weeks ago. I have systematically counted all my food intake dropping from over 2500 calories per day to 1850 for a few weeks now to 1750 for the last week. Aside from the obvious benefits of IF, I wonder how low I need to go to cut 10% body fat. I'm quite muscular but was around 16% bf. So far I have lost 8.6lbs and it shows on my frame but weights haven't changed. For instance I was pressing 100lb dumb bells a few days ago and while hard, manageable. I keep protein around 200gms per day. I just don't think I'll look right going down to 170-180 lbs or lower. I feel the difference in clothes already.

Seems a bit small for me ☹️

This is my progress. Any tips would be appreciated:

http://bit.ly/2tWLG1X

zcAjQAd.jpg

Just putting things into perspective. The picture on the left was after I had lost 25 pounds of fat and had started to lift for 3 months. The picture on the right was yesterday. I a focusing more on putting up on lean weight, and do try to lose some fat later .

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Does a "resistance" workout count as a strength training workout?

I ask because my doctor gave me a list of exercises to do, and some are stretches and others are strengthening exercises. There's one that's called a "triceps towel stretch", so that's pretty self explanatory. But another one is called a "towel resistance exercise". These two and 4 others are all grouped together, but the doctor told me that I can do the "stretching" exercises every day, but the strengthening exercises once every two or three days.

Servbot24

Banned
Man, broke down big time on intermittent fasting today... should not have gone on a night run. Had a bowl of rice plus a ton of almonds and cranberries outside of the eating hours. Didn't even make it a week >_<

A question for hikers or any other folks who do physical activities who also work out: if your hike or activity takes what would normally be your rest day, do you still work out or jog or run the next day after the hike/activity or do you just rest?

GrapeApes

I don't hike but will get in basketball games. I try to get in games after a workout(even though my shot suffers) or if I'm taking 2 days off I'll ball the first day. If I couldn't avoid it I'd just workout the next day. Depending on how hard you go you will feel it in your next workout.

Chorazin

A question for hikers or any other folks who do physical activities who also work out: if your hike or activity takes what would normally be your rest day, do you still work out or jog or run the next day after the hike/activity or do you just rest?

I mean, if your "rest day" hike is a ten mile trek over rugged terrain with a heavy pack....I'd call it a workout and rest the next day. A 3 mile hike with a Nalgene of water in your hand and an ambling pace over a flat trail, I wouldn't.

Xyber

So after about 6-7 years of not really doing any physical activities (mainly because of general laziness) I decided to buy a pair of rollerblades a few weeks back. Before that, the last time I was on rollerblades was roughly 13 years ago, but like riding a bike it all came back right away.

First 2-3 days I took it fairly slow but did go all the way to my workplace and then home again. It's about 6-7km away and I always had to take a breather around the halfway point on both on my way there and back again. Could definitely tell that I was so out of shape. Ended up pushing myself a bit too hard and got shin splints on my left leg and took a 2 week rest for it to heal back up.

Started going out again last week and took it slower, but decided to go for a much longer route, ended up doing 30km in 2,5h with a 10 minute break. Got back home, tired as fuck but glad I was able to do that route.

Yesterday I did the same route in 1:56 and just took a short break at a water fountain to drink some. Now I don't get so out of breath anymore that I need to sit down for a while, and the only thing stopping me from going faster are my legs that can't handle faster speeds for more than a minute or so before my legs really start to burn and I have to slow down a bit.

I'm actually really surprised at how fast I've been making progress on my stamina, gonna keep doing the 30km route for a few more weeks and try to get it down to 1:45 and then increase the distance another 5km.

I crawled my way back into the garage tonight and set about starting from scratch.

Unsurprisingly, my squat isn't horrible, but for everything else It's going to be a long, long road back.

Jokab

Btw what do you guys think of my program, adapted from the OP one?

A:
Squat
Bench
Bent-over rows (pendlay specifically)
Pull-ups
(Sometimes tricep)

B:
Squat
Standing OHP
Deadlift
Chins
(Sometimes bicep)

All compound exercises are 3x5 except deadlifts which are 1x5. The arm work is mostly 3x10 or something.

Anything here that is totally off?

ExInferus

Anyone else having the problem of being overall slim except for the face and neck? My belly fat is quite noticable too but only when I'm sitting.

I'm 178cm tall and just slimmed down from 81 kg to 74. My bfat is around 16 %.(unreliable)
My puffy face/cheeks and slight double chin are annoying, especially since they are at odds with the rest of my reasonably athletic build.

My recent cut of 7 kgs only seems to have only slimmed down my face and neck slightly. What the hell? Just seems wrong that I probably have to slim down even more. 74 kg is quite low. It's even more disheartening seeing overweight people with slim necks and faces.

Is the navy tape measurement system for bf% reliable?

Genetics, they're a bitch...

...and no, it's not reliable. Virtually no way of measuring body fat is until you start spending decent money.

I'm the complete opposite on the face. I lose the slightest amount of weight and I look like I'm dying. By the time my abs are in, I look like a skeleton.

I don't hike but will get in basketball games. I try to get in games after a workout(even though my shot suffers) or if I'm taking 2 days off I'll ball the first day. If I couldn't avoid it I'd just workout the next day. Depending on how hard you go you will feel it in your next workout.

I mean, if your "rest day" hike is a ten mile trek over rugged terrain with a heavy pack....I'd call it a workout and rest the next day. A 3 mile hike with a Nalgene of water in your hand and an ambling pace over a flat trail, I wouldn't.
Yeah, I think I'll play it by the ear and listen to what my body tells me.

ACE 1991

Went on a 37 mile multi day backpacking trip in Colorado last week, lost like 3.5 damn pounds in 5 days. It's amazing how many calories you burn from hoofin' it for 8-10 miles a day with a 30lb+ pack. Currently bulking though, so I think I'm gonna slam a pizza tonight to try and put that weight back on.

Went on a 37 mile multi day backpacking trip in Colorado last week, lost like 3.5 damn pounds in 5 days. It's amazing how many calories you burn from hoofin' it for 8-10 miles a day with a 30lb+ pack. Currently bulking though, so I think I'm gonna slam a pizza tonight to try and put that weight back on.
Holy smokes. I really want to do something like that, but there's nowhere in my country where I can do that kind of hiking stretch. Anyway, I'm not sure if you're aware but we have a hiking thread, maybe you can share more stories and photos with us there?

So. Last week, I tried to do a pull-up and I just hung on the bar like a monkey. The next time on the gym, I tried again too, after my routine was done. Same thing. Then came Saturday. There wasn't a lot of people around, and I saw the barbells were free, so for the first time, I did deadlifts, 3x15. I then again proceeded to try the pull-up as a lark and halleluhwah, I was amazed when I got liftoff! Well, I didn't get past my chin but I the fact that I lifted myself was amazing to me, I didn't think I'd be able to do it. Lifting oneself gives such a glorious feeling it's like flying.

It's getting really hard cutting right now. I've been on it for 2 months and dropped from 68,5kg to 65kg but still not looking as shredded as I would like (don't ask me my bodyfat but I can clearly see that fat is going away while muscles are mostly the same).

My upper abs are starting to show but that lower section... god damnit. I've been kepting a 1950kcal diet (sometimes even less) with protein and fats as being my main nutrients.

Maybe I'm not training as intense as I thought.

Yesterday I tried deadlifts again but this time the gym was full of people. 5 reps in, two different guys approached me and told me I was doing it wrong. One of them even demoed it to me for a few minutes. I couldn't pick it up, I couldn't straighten my back, so I gave up.

Jokab

Yesterday I tried deadlifts again but this time the gym was full of people. 5 reps in, two different guys approached me and told me I was doing it wrong. One of them even demoed it to me for a few minutes. I couldn't pick it up, I couldn't straighten my back, so I gave up.

Too much weight then. Start with really low weights until your form is perfect. Then slowly increase the weights while keeping a good form.

Top Bottom