• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Saya

Has anyone had their sweat smell like ammonia after a good cardio workout?

I read it's due to a lack of carbs in a diet, but I've been trying to increase my carb intake and it's still there (to be fair, I've only been eating more carbs for a week or so). I used to not eat anything before a morning run, but now I eat a banana and two slices of bread with peanut butter about 30-45 minutes before a run. I find I have more energy during the workout but the sweat smell is still there. On the days that I lift my sweat doesn't really smell like ammonia.

Has anyone had their sweat smell like ammonia after a good cardio workout?
I've never had it happen personally, or at least if it has, I've never noticed it. This despite massive (5hr+) fasted cardio sessions.

Supposedly it's your body running out of glycogen and feasting on your muscles, but I think some people just smell strange when they sweat. ;)

Saya

I've never had it happen personally, or at least if it has, I've never noticed it. This despite massive (5hr+) fasted cardio sessions.

Supposedly it's your body running out of glycogen and feasting on your muscles, but I think some people just smell strange when they sweat. ;)

Yeah, I think I'm just going to increase my carb intake some more and drink even more water and see what happens haha. If it doesn't go away I'll just visit a doc.

Oh god I just got back from the gym, drank a protein milk shake, I drank like 75% of it till I realized the milk went bad. The milk definetly smells spoiled. Am I gonna get sick? I gotta go to work in a few hours

linko9

Oh god I just got back from the gym, drank a protein milk shake, I drank like 75% of it till I realized the milk went bad. The milk definetly smells spoiled. Am I gonna get sick? I gotta go to work in a few hours

Sour milk is generally not a health hazard. Actually in many places they intentionally let milk get sour before drinking it.

KillerBEA

Crush that shit.

Good luck man!

Good luck. Kick ass today.

Thanks Gents, I got last in my division (Bronze medal by default, still figuring out how I feel about that) I beat my expectations though as I thought I might zero everything but the Car Deadlift. Got Farmer's Carry 35 ft with 203lbs in each hand. Wasn't sure I could even budge it, so I am happy with the result. Only Zero'd the Overhead Medley because fucking Kettlebells suck to clean and of course it was the first implement so I couldn't move on unless I got them overhead. Got 7 reps on the Car Deadlift for a nice rep PR with 365+ lbs. Barely budged the Humvee on the "Truck Pull" moved it a little less than 3 inches. Got to practice on the other humvee they brought for the light weight men and women. Barely finished that and definitely took over the time limit, but it was just practice and having fun after I was done competing.

Had a lot of fun, met some really cool people, and learned a lot. Definitely going to do another one some. Need to build up a bunch more static strength though.

KillerBEA

I don't think that should even remotely be an issue because...

THIS is the stuff that matters!
Nice job. Sounds like a great experience.

Thanks, it kinda helps because I signed up and went because I needed/wanted the practice/experience not because I was chasing a medal.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Thanks, it kinda helps because I signed up and went because I needed/wanted the practice/experience not because I was chasing a medal.
But you also got a medal
697713.gif

Failed again trying to squat 410 then tried to go down weight and couldn't even do that. I don't know what's going on. I felt so good hitting 405, can't figure out why I'm failing so hard now. Advice?

You aren't going to undue any progress in days, if you're sick you rest, if you're injured you rest.
Thanks! So I've been resting for five days now and I think I can start again tomorrow.

If you get your form perfect and you feel you can easily do more than five reps then up the weight. You wanna use a weight where youre struggling with that 5th and final rep.
A single set or three sets?

I end up taking a few days off of the gym and upping my calories a little to help with the recovery. I usually feel good enough to return to the gym on the 3rd or 4th day.

You wont undue months of progress in only a few days , just try your best to recuperate.
I guess I'm just scared because this is the first time I've been in any sort of way deemed fit, and I don't want to lose this.

I don't think that should even remotely be an issue because...

THIS is the stuff that matters!
Nice job. Sounds like a great experience.
I agree with you. Hope you share more of your competitions, KillerBea!

KillerBEA

But you also got a medal
697713.gif
The way I see it now, is that its a reminder to push harder to get better. I am even more fired up for training now, and am looking forward to same competition next year.

I agree with you. Hope you share more of your competitions, KillerBea!

Got some potato quality videos to share as well

Car Deadlift
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWll_bkgJL5/?taken-by=deku_strongman

HUmvee Pull (Video is of an additional run)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWlmiRZgzhR/?taken-by=deku_strongman

Farmers Carry/Walk
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWlnD6Ogd3A/?taken-by=deku_strongman

ACE 1991

Starting grad school in a month (Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh) so I figured I'd bulk order protein to save money. Got 11lb from Myprotein for $50, which seems like a super good deal.

mdsfx

WTF:

Vitamin Water Zero
Calories = 0
Total Carbohydrates = 5g

Does not compute. What kind of rounding is this?!

The way I see it now, is that its a reminder to push harder to get better. I am even more fired up for training now, and am looking forward to same competition next year.

Got some potato quality videos to share as well

Car Deadlift
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWll_bkgJL5/?taken-by=deku_strongman

HUmvee Pull (Video is of an additional run)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWlmiRZgzhR/?taken-by=deku_strongman

Farmers Carry/Walk
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWlnD6Ogd3A/?taken-by=deku_strongman
That's the spirit! And thanks! I will watch these to inspire myself.

On the subject of Youtube, which ones are the best folks to follow?

From the videos I watched, three people stood out to me: Alan Thrall, Scott Herman, and Jeff Cavaliere.

Alan Thrall was recommended here, and from him I watched videos on how to do the deadlift and the Romanian. Scott Herman says 99% of Youtubers are juiced. I didn't know there was such a big deal about people being juiced as opposed to people being natural. From him I watched things he wish he knew when he started and how to do a military press. Jeff Cavaliere seems intent on showing you lists of stuff to do, I watched his video on the best dumb bell exercises and the worst exercises you could do, which includes the leg extensions which I dropped when I figured I was running anyway.

Other than those three, I watched a few videos on calisthenics because I really enjoyed almost pulling of a pull-up and I want to actually be able to do it.

A single set or three sets?

Some programs only have you do 1 set , i like to do 3 sets. Its up to you honestly.

I guess I'm just scared because this is the first time I've been in any sort of way deemed fit, and I don't want to lose this.

As someone who was once overweight that thought of fucking up and going back to what i was is always with me. But ive worked long and hard to get fit , ive done lots of dumb shit physically and nutrition wise (mainly due to the fact that i was really young when i started) and i havent lost the physique or level of fitness i have built.

It goes both ways , becoming fit and losing your fitness takes time, as in weeks and months not days unless you do something drastic like a water fast or eating 10k cals a day for a week.

Props dude , you got out there and did what you had to.

Those three are solid choices, for very different reasons. Though I'm going off Scott Herman a bit of late.
Any particular reason why?

A fan of Brian Alsruhe myself.
I will check out later, thanks!

Some programs only have you do 1 set , i like to do 3 sets. Its up to you honestly.
Thanks, I guess I'll keep doing three sets of everything. Once I pull off the proper form of deadlifts I'll try a single set first then maybe try three sets in the future.

As someone who was once overweight that thought of fucking up and going back to what i was is always with me. But ive worked long and hard to get fit , ive done lots of dumb shit physically and nutrition wise (mainly due to the fact that i was really young when i started) and i havent lost the physique or level of fitness i have built.

It goes both ways , becoming fit and losing your fitness takes time, as in weeks and months not days unless you do something drastic like a water fast or eating 10k cals a day for a week.
I just tell myself if I could do it once, I could do it again. People and the internet always say that you can't undo things really quickly and it's easier to return to a form of fitness after you become fit, I guess my fear just overrules that. I have to learn to overcome that fear because it's probably leading me to do stupid things like really contemplate running and working out while sick.

Speaking of, returning to the gym later after a week. I am excited.

ACE 1991

Laying on the ground with an icy hot patch because I just threw the shit out of my back doing pendlay rows. God fucking dammit I just wanna lift

Laying on the ground with an icy hot patch because I just threw the shit out of my back doing pendlay rows. God fucking dammit I just wanna lift

Hope its not too bad , i knew a dude who managed to seriously throw out his back whilst picking up a dumbbell to rerack it. Shits insane.

I have some questions for everyone:

How do you decide what constitutes your workouts?
How many sets and reps do you do and how do you gauge that they are right?
How about weights, when do you decide it's time to go heavier? Is there a correct progression?

Sakura

Are you progressing in your lifts?

All I have access to is an ab roller and a dumbbell unfortunately.
The dumbbell is 12.5kg. I used to only be able to do about 7 reps and now can do about 12 with it. But I'm not really sure what a normal rate of progress is supposed to be. I guess when I can do a few more reps I will up the weight and see what happens.

Jokab

All I have access to is an ab roller and a dumbbell unfortunately.
The dumbbell is 12.5kg. I used to only be able to do about 7 reps and now can do about 12 with it. But I'm not really sure what a normal rate of progress is supposed to be. I guess when I can do a few more reps I will up the weight and see what happens.

Progress is either doing more reps on the same weight or more weight with same reps (or combined of course). So yes, you're making progress. However, I'd say (and many other probably) that at 12 reps you're pushing it for what's actually worth it in terms of number of reps. Try upping the weight if possible and do less reps.

I have some questions for everyone:

How do you decide what constitutes your workouts?
How many sets and reps do you do and how do you gauge that they are right?
How about weights, when do you decide it's time to go heavier? Is there a correct progression?

Follow a program suited to your level and goals. For beginner programs, for example, you're going to have a fixed number of exercises, fixed number of sets and reps. and progression is pretty simple: increase weight every workout.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, Brolic, that's nuts. So much control over the entire range of motion.

Follow a program suited to your level and goals. For beginner programs, for example, you're going to have a fixed number of exercises, fixed number of sets and reps. and progression is pretty simple: increase weight every workout.
But how would I know which programs to follow? I think this plays into this...

Loads of time spent on the whole fakenatty thing of late, but more than that... there's no way I could do his cheat and recover methods without injuring myself. :)
This fakenatty thing is a rabbit hole. Now I'm questioning if I'm following the right people because they're telling you stuff but they might not be following what they're doing and what they are right now may be product of illegal substances.

KillerBEA

Props dude , you got out there and did what you had to.

Thanks! I am doing the same contest next year, so hopefully I can make some significant progress between now and then
I will check out later, thanks!
Check out this recent "Cheat Sheet" videos I took something away from both, and they were game changers for my Bench and Squat

But how would I know which programs to follow? I think this plays into this...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

This program looks pretty solid. Has enough volume in there to work on building up the base and capitalizing strength gains. My only gripe is low volume Deadlifts but the RDLs on "Leg day" help make up for it.

Heal faster, lower back.

pls
I find that when my low back is lit up, having a lat pulldown stretch you out helps, as well as doing some Back Extensions (something which I do a set of every gym day now)

Top Bottom