• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

vypek

Looking at the first page more and I have a question about something I didn't notice or think about before:

If someone is using the same weights and just increasing their amount of reps that they do for each workout does that mean they'll go from Myofibrillar Hypertrophy to Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy and it becomes more about them getting just size instead of functional strength?

If someone is using the same weights and just increasing their amount of reps that they do for each workout does that mean they'll go from Myofibrillar Hypertrophy to Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy and it becomes more about them getting just size instead of functional strength?

It's no-where near that clear cut. There are plenty of studies out there showing that doing stupidly high reps at ridiculously low weights will also result in noticeable strength increases. It'll just be far less efficient to build strength that way.

vypek

It's no-where near that clear cut. There are plenty of studies out there showing that doing stupidly high reps at ridiculously low weights will also result in noticeable strength increases. It'll just be far less efficient to build strength that way.

Alright. Cool. Thanks for the clarification :)

GrizzNKev

Banned
I made some major changes in my diet and swapped all of my carb sources to fruits and veggies. Thing is, the veggies are so high in quantity that it pains me to think about finishing them all... And I'm under 1500 cals per day. This is insane.

So, let me get this right, I should progress weights weekly and if I can't pull off the weight I should lessen it until I can do the next weight?

So, let me get this right, I should progress weights weekly and if I can't pull off the weight I should lessen it until I can do the next weight?

Depends what program you're doing. Some have you progress each workout.

If you were to follow the basic tenets of Starting Strength or Stronglifts doing the core barbell lifts, you go up 5 pounds every workout. If you fail to get all reps, you repeat it the next time. If you fail two or three times in a row, deload by 10% on the next workout and work from there.

I am not doing barbell lifts because I still can't figure out deadlifts. Maybe bench pressing 10 KG as a start is safe enough? I can safely bench press 10 kg each of dumb bells, and I can do more but I can't remember the weights in my dingy gym.

Thanks man!

Well I tend to work out around 5 days a week, sometimes 6. My days are normally split like chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders and traps, legs and about three days a week I do abs.

I normally start my work outs warming up on a treadmill or bike for about 10-15 mins, do some stretching then I start my routines.

I normally get in about 4-5 exercises per body part, doing about 4 sets of 8-12 reps for each one also increasing weight every set with most exercises and sometimes ending on a drop set. So on a chest day for example, I'll probably do 4 sets of flat barbell bench press with increasing weight. 4 sets incline barbell bench press increasing weight, 4 sets cable flys increasing weight and ending with a drop set, 4 sets chest dips and 4 sets dumbbell press. Of course I change the order of the exercises when I can and try not to keep my workouts the same for too long. I'm always trying new things or adding a new exercise and switching up my routines.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! Mulling over doing splits because I've been doing the same routines every time. I also only go to the gym thrice a week, so I want to maximize my time there.

I feel like what I'm doing gets easier as I go along but I'm still not having ease on the higher weights to pull off good sets so I regress to my old weights. But at the very least I've made progress on some routines. I should really learn the names of routines and equipments.

Also, I really want to drop this routine, one where you do a curl with both hands on the cable thing, because I really feel it on my spine and it scares me.

Hypron

Hey guys,

Are the mounting holes for J-hooks and spotter arms somewhat standardised on squat racks or does it depend on the manufacturer? I've been looking at a couple of websites and they do not seem to indicate that information.

I'm currently looking at getting individual squat stands to keep at my parents' place to workout while I visit. I can't get a full power rack because I need to be able to store it away when I'm not there. Choices are pretty limited in my country, but I found those stands that look pretty strong. Problem is, they don't have spotter arms so I'd need to get that separately (I don't wanna die) - but I can't find spotter arms from the same manufacturer.

Cheers!

I am not doing barbell lifts because I still can't figure out deadlifts. Maybe bench pressing 10 KG as a start is safe enough? I can safely bench press 10 kg each of dumb bells, and I can do more but I can't remember the weights in my dingy gym.

Deadlifts won't stop you from doing bench, bent over rows, squats, and overhead press.

Start with the bar. An Olympic bar is 45 pounds, or 20 KG. Add weight in increments of 5 pounds/2.2 KG, or whatever size plates you have, the point is to add weight each workout for as long as you can do it after you find your initial starting point, which for many beginners is just going to be the bar itself.

Fitness GAF, I come seeking your wisdom. So I have to ride a bike very frequently. It's about a 5 mile bike ride and I have to do it twice a day. In the morning it's no problem for me. I'm well rested and I have plenty of energy but at the end of the day I'm just too pooped to do it. What are some like energy bars or energy gels that you guys can recommend me? I tried Clif Bars but it didn't seem to do anything. I just need something that can give me a much needed boost of energy to get home at the end of the day so I don't feel like utter shit.

Deadlifts won't stop you from doing bench, bent over rows, squats, and overhead press.

Start with the bar. An Olympic bar is 45 pounds, or 20 KG. Add weight in increments of 5 pounds/2.2 KG, or whatever size plates you have, the point is to add weight each workout for as long as you can do it after you find your initial starting point, which for many beginners is just going to be the bar itself.
Thanks! I guess I just saw deadlifts as the be all and end all of exercises. I have no clue how to do the rows and overhead press(maybe something like the military press?) so I'll look them up. About the squats, would they only be good for the muscles on my lower body or is it for the whole body?

Thanks! I guess I just saw deadlifts as the be all and end all of exercises. I have no clue how to do the rows and overhead press(maybe something like the military press?) so I'll look them up. About the squats, would they only be good for the muscles on my lower body or is it for the whole body?

Watch this playlist (covers squat, deadlift, overhead, and bench with Mark Rippetoe [Starting Strength])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM&list=PLLIasrSrFGdSNbeOT8Agw9N301qCHpRU0

Here's an Alan Thrall video on bent over barbell rows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE

mdsfx

Can't remember the last time I took a selfie (or cared), but this is me now. Lost some muscle with all of the cardio and I'm [happily] carrying about 11%+ body fat. If I wasn't having so much fun racing I might be freaking out right now, but... it is what it is!

Edit: thanks for that Kev!

LoXsK27.jpg

GrizzNKev

Banned
Can't remember the last time I took a selfie (or cared), but this is me now. Lost some muscle with all of the cardio and I'm [happily] carrying about 11%+ body fat. If I wasn't having so much fun racing I might be freaking out right now, but... it is what it is!

Edit: someone needs to clean that damn mirror.

you still have my dream body

Fitness GAF, I come seeking your wisdom. So I have to ride a bike very frequently. It's about a 5 mile bike ride and I have to do it twice a day. In the morning it's no problem for me. I'm well rested and I have plenty of energy but at the end of the day I'm just too pooped to do it. What are some like energy bars or energy gels that you guys can recommend me? I tried Clif Bars but it didn't seem to do anything. I just need something that can give me a much needed boost of energy to get home at the end of the day so I don't feel like utter shit.

Nothing other than caffeine is going to make much difference there. Just use an easier pace.

You're only talking about half an hour max right?

Hey guys,

Are the mounting holes for J-hooks and spotter arms somewhat standardised on squat racks or does it depend on the manufacturer? I've been looking at a couple of websites and they do not seem to indicate that information.

I'm currently looking at getting individual squat stands to keep at my parents' place to workout while I visit. I can't get a full power rack because I need to be able to store it away when I'm not there. Choices are pretty limited in my country, but I found those stands that look pretty strong. Problem is, they don't have spotter arms so I'd need to get that separately (I don't wanna die) - but I can't find spotter arms from the same manufacturer.

Cheers!
I think these are from the same manufacturer: http://www.southsidefitness.com.au/strength-equipment/spotting-arms-pm105/

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
For those of you that had tendonitis, how did you start getting back into lifting? Did you start with low weights/low reps, or low weights/high reps? I don't think anyone went to high weights any time soon.

mdsfx

I use Clifbloks during races. It's basically just caffeine and simple carbs/sugar. The black cherry has 50mg of caffeine per 3 chews (there are 6 in a pack). It definitely perks me up enough for a second (and third) wind.

I use Clifbloks during races. It's basically just caffeine and simple carbs/sugar. The black cherry has 50mg of caffeine per 3 chews (there are 6 in a pack). It definitely perks me up enough for a second (and third) wind.

Funnily enough... crossposting:

I was just looking at the back of a Shot Bloks packet.

"Do not exceed the recommended daily dose".

"Recommended daily dose: 4 pieces".

I've had 8 packs before in a day... 48 pieces. lol

Nothing other than caffeine is going to make much difference there. Just use an easier pace.

You're only talking about half an hour max right?

Thanks, for the info. Ill look into these caffeine chews.

lenovox1

How do you guys feel about Crossfit?

I love it. I work at Lululemon, so I know all the right boxes (gyms) to go to and all the ones to avoid.

You also must go slow as you start off. Don't let your ego take you to places your body can't go.

And, yeah, reach out to a local Lululemon if you need to know places to go. People that work at Lululemon get money to work out at any group fitness place they want, so they should be knowledgeable about that stuff.

dh4niel

I lost about 50 pounds in the last several months but after starting to eat normally and keeping up the exercise I've put 7 pounds back on in a month. I think I must just be genetically fucked. :/

I lost about 50 pounds in the last several months but after starting to eat normally and keeping up the exercise I've put 7 pounds back on in a month. I think I must just be genetically fucked. :/

You want to find a diet thats sustainable all year round. If its something that you can only do for a few months at a time you should tweak it.

New002

You guys don’t use any phone apps as part of your health and fitness routines?

I shared this with a buddy a while back covering the apps and devices I use.

Withings Smart Scale (which sends data to...) 
Withings App
Libra App (detailed weight monitoring with lots of statistics and data)
MyFitnessPal App (calorie tracking)
Endomondo (Activity tracker and trainer that I use for logging data from...)
Scosche Rhythm + (Heart rate monitor for running/lifting)
Progression App (weight lifting routine scheduler and tracker. This is the only real standalone app that doesn't communicate with any of the others)

App and tech overload, but most communicate with eachother and feed into eachother to some extent."

I'm down about 35lbs in 9-10 months. 17lbs to go, which I'm trying to knock out before the 1 year mark if at all possible. At 12 months I plan on joining a proper Gym and bulking from there.

cromofo

Any tips to break the bench plateau?

I've been stuck on 2 plates for quite a while now. It's really hard to progress and it's getting frustrating. The summertime doesn't help either lol. Stalemate

shingi70

Banned
Any good guides for eating clean on the cheap. I'm about to get a gym membership this thursday and want to start eating better as I work out.

Any tips to break the bench plateau?

I've been stuck on 2 plates for quite a while now. It's really hard to progress and it's getting frustrating. The summertime doesn't help either lol. Stalemate

A) What's your current bench workout?

B) What else do you do for upper body?

C) Do you eat enough?

Top Bottom