• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Any good guides for eating clean on the cheap. I'm about to get a gym membership this thursday and want to start eating better as I work out.
Honestly eating clean is probably the cheapest way to eat, it's just hard to do, although I guess it depends on your definition of clean is. Chicken breasts are cheap, as long as you don't mind a little rib juice in there. Eggs are insanely cheap right now as long as you don't want free range. Fresh vegetables are probably the major expense, but you can always buy frozen veggies if you are that price concious.

mdsfx

Honestly eating clean is probably the cheapest way to eat, it's just hard to do, although I guess it depends on your definition of clean is. Chicken breasts are cheap, as long as you don't mind a little rib juice in there. Eggs are insanely cheap right now as long as you don't want free range. Fresh vegetables are probably the major expense, but you can always buy frozen veggies if you are that price concious.

Yep, i buy chicken breasts 6 or more at a time and often use frozen green beans as my go-to. I've been eating 6-7oz of chicken with a different sauce (bbq, peanut, buffalo, sriracha, etc) each day for lunch for years now. It's very affordable and the sauce calories/carbs are negligible at 2 tablespoons.

I've been learning how to grill and that makes eating chicken breasts and thighs so much better. I love it. Food prep for weeks.

xazq2vm.jpg

This was breakfast at a local diner. So good.

My hip wasnt tight. It was my glutes that was tight and transcended down my leg. I took my ball and sat in the tight spot and all is better now I just need to get the kink out my neck that's giving me some light-headedness

KillerBEA

Dick at the gym was Deadlifting in the power/squat rack and there is an open Deadlift platform with deadlift jack he isn't using.

[facepalmsohard]

Gintamen

If you needed to use it for deadlifts, just tell the person. You will feel like an idiot, if it's a nice and friendly person after all.

Is push,pull,leg for 3 days a week worth it vs a full body routine 3 days a week? Which one am I better of going with in that situation?

The whole point of PPL is the volume it brings as its a 6 day program(Everything gets hit twice). Honestly i'd go for a full body routine instead. You'll end up doing compounds 3x a week which is better than only doing them once on the 3 day ppl split.

Dick at the gym was Deadlifting in the power/squat rack and there is an open Deadlift platform with deadlift jack he isn't using.

[facepalmsohard]

I have yet to encounter someone doing this shit. Its even worse if they arent a beginner and should know better.

I decided to end my cut 3 days ago. Im decently lean but at 6'1 176lb im lacking the mass i want. My strength has already started to go back up im looking a little fuller. Doing lateral raises every workout for the past 3 months has really helped bring my shoulders up. Everythings proportionate , now i just need to get bigger.

Astral

I can't improve my squats and it's bothering me. I'm stuck at 295. I used to go up to 315 but after I hurt my back one day, I've been too afraid to try.

This might sound a bit harsh... but surely if you don't know how to do something, and it's standing in your way, you learn?

I mean, it's cooking, it's not rocket surgery.

I would defy anyone to fuck up getting chicken breasts out of a pack, putting them in some (store bought) sauce and throwing it in the oven. It's as basic as it gets, but it's still giving you far more options with regard to your diet.

Sakura

This might sound a bit harsh... but surely if you don't know how to do something, and it's standing in your way, you learn?

I mean, it's cooking, it's not rocket surgery.

I would defy anyone to fuck up getting chicken breasts out of a pack, putting them in some (store bought) sauce and throwing it in the oven. It's as basic as it gets, but it's still giving you far more options with regard to your diet.

Assuming you are replying to me, I don't have an oven. Just a frying pan :(
Sink doesn't even do hot water

DOWN

Banned
I personally use a pan to “grill” or pan fry the chicken on the stove top. Chicken and eggs are kind of holy grail foods. Supplement with some sort of frozen veggies you can steam in the microwave and you’ve got a great meal foundation for very manageable macros. You can make a couple days worth at a time so you don’t have to worry about it every night.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alright guys, I'm meeting up with a buddy I haven't seen in probably a year in about ~2 months (October 6). I'd like to show up to this event at like 180 instead of the 225 I was the last time I hung out with him.

I've already done about half of that loss - I was at like 203 this morning. Is 23 pounds an unreasonable amount of weight for 66 days given that I don't have access to a gym and the only equipment I own are a set of powerblocks? Part of the problem is that I can't run or do a ton of high impact stuff (e.g. running) because of a weird nerve condition in my leg that I'm doing PT to work through.

Alright guys, I'm meeting up with a buddy I haven't seen in probably a year in about ~2 months (October 6). I'd like to show up to this event at like 180 instead of the 225 I was the last time I hung out with him.

I've already done about half of that loss - I was at like 203 this morning. Is 23 pounds an unreasonable amount of weight for 66 days given that I don't have access to a gym and the only equipment I own are a set of powerblocks? Part of the problem is that I can't run or do a ton of high impact stuff (e.g. running) because of a weird nerve condition in my leg that I'm doing PT to work through.

Forget the gym. That's just too much to realistically expect. Quick math, but you would need to run a deficit of 1200 calories per day to get there. Do you really think that's going to happen?

Have reasonable expectations. Do what you have been doing to lose the weight you've already lost, don't let this event throw you off course.

(Based on 1 pound of fat = 3500 calories. 23 excess pounds = 80500 calories. 66 days to lose 23 pounds => deficit of 1220 per day.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Forget the gym. That's just too much to realistically expect. Quick math, but you would need to run a deficit of 1200 calories per day to get there. Do you really think that's going to happen?

Have reasonable expectations. Do what you have been doing to lose the weight you've already lost, don't let this event throw you off course.

(Based on 1 pound of fat = 3500 calories. 23 excess pounds = 80500 calories. 66 days to lose 23 pounds => deficit of 1220 per day.)

I mean, 20 pounds in approximately 9 weeks didn't seem terribly unreasonable to me. That's like 2.1 pounds a week, which seems like a perfectly reasonable target given all of the weight loss I've done in my life.

Laekon

Could anyone offer advice on a simple 2 day a week program? I'm 40 yrs old, 5'11", 210 lbs, never really lifted, and looking to lose weight and gain strength for cycling and hiking(and just life). In the long run I would like to ride or hike/run 2 days and lift 2 days at the gym. Googling brought lead me to this:
http://www.alltheheavylifting.com/a...ductory-program-for-strength-training-part-1/

Day 1
Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Pull Up/Chin Up/Inverted Row (optional) 3xfailure

Day 2
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Good place to start or since I'm a total beginner should I look at something else?

I rely heavily on my george foreman grill... Small, fast, easy cleanup, and you can cook just about anything... They're somewhat cheap too, I'd definitely suggest if cooking isn't your thing and you want something easy to use and fast!

I mean, 20 pounds in approximately 9 weeks didn't seem terribly unreasonable to me. That's like 2.1 pounds a week, which seems like a perfectly reasonable target given all of the weight loss I've done in my life.

How long has it taken to lose the 20 pounds you've already lost? How easy has it been to stick to whatever diet & exercise regimen you have been following? All things held equal, expect the next 20 pounds to take longer.

ACE 1991

Starting graduate school in 2.5 weeks. Any good tips for bulking on a budget? I eat daily protein bars out of laziness at the moment, I should definitely use those calories on something cheaper. Note that I'm a vegetarian.

Sakura

The fastest way to lose weight is to cut calories.
If you want to lose 23 pounds in 2 months then crunch the numbers on how many calories you need to cut a day.
It's hardly impossible, but I think you will find it difficult. You're probably looking at only consuming 1000~1400 calories a day, which might make you feel like shit most of the time. You'd also probably be losing some muscle as well with that amount of deficit.
Personally I'd aim for something like 190 pounds. I think you'll still look significantly different from that last time you saw your friend at 225 pounds.
But ultimately it's up to you.

Could anyone offer advice on a simple 2 day a week program? I'm 40 yrs old, 5'11", 210 lbs, never really lifted, and looking to lose weight and gain strength for cycling and hiking(and just life). In the long run I would like to ride or hike/run 2 days and lift 2 days at the gym. Googling brought lead me to this:
http://www.alltheheavylifting.com/a...ductory-program-for-strength-training-part-1/

Day 1
Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Pull Up/Chin Up/Inverted Row (optional) 3xfailure

Day 2
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Good place to start or since I'm a total beginner should I look at something else?

I know nothing about nothing, so my two cents with 3 grains of salt is that if you're limited to 2 days per week, I'd hate to only do bench, overhead, and rows only once. I don't think you're getting enough volume that way, try to get work in during both sessions. Whether that's 3 sets one day and 2 the other, or heavy one day and light the other, but you want to get work in regardless.

For me, personally, the hardest to balance are bench and OHP. I'd want to do 3x5 rows both days, but maybe make choices on how to do bench and OHP effectively with my time.

While you're getting started, do them all every session, because you'll be able to. The weights will be light, your body will be adjusting to the movement patterns. As you start progessing (and if you're doing linear progression, it won't take long), the weights will get heavier and you'll have to decide how to proceed.

TheBear

Hey guys I have a question about body composition.
I'm a husky gentleman, about 5'9 and 95 kegs. I look pretty solidly built, wide shoulders with big arms and legs with a reasonable amount of muscle but a big gut also. Up until about 2 months ago I had been doing F45 and went from 108kgs down to the 95 I weigh now. Obviously I received a lot of compliments about all the weight I lost but I found F45 hard to keep up as to get results I was doing it 4-5 times a week and found it pretty rough on my joints. Also, whilst at the end of each session I was a sweaty mess I really didn't enjoy it
I've decided to get back into weightlifting, and have joined a barbell gym and am getting coached, Mostly doing a strong lifts regime. I'm really enjoying it but unfortunately the gym isn't conveniently located so I can only manage to get there 2-3 times a week for the moment. Currently my deadlift is at 108kgs, squat at 90kgs and bench at 65kgs. Also lifting is life.

My question is, when am I going to see noticeable results in my body composition? I'm not expecting to lose the gut without eating clean which I've been struggling with lately but am rectifying, but I'm not really seeing a big difference in my shoulders, arms or chest.
I don't really want to look lean, I want to look big, but I also know there's probably a decent amount of muscle hiding under the fat. I'm definitely getting stronger but I'm yet to even hit my previous PBs on my lifts.

Should I be looking more into bodybuilding routines rather than strength?

Angry Grimace

The fastest way to lose weight is to cut calories.
If you want to lose 23 pounds in 2 months then crunch the numbers on how many calories you need to cut a day.
It's hardly impossible, but I think you will find it difficult. You're probably looking at only consuming 1000~1400 calories a day, which might make you feel like shit most of the time. You'd also probably be losing some muscle as well with that amount of deficit.
Personally I'd aim for something like 190 pounds. I think you'll still look significantly different from that last time you saw your friend at 225 pounds.
But ultimately it's up to you.

I mean, I don't actually care if it's specifically 180 or not given I weigh in in the morning anywhere from 200-205. 2 pounds a week for 9 weeks doesn't seem particularly difficult, even with far less strenuous of a workout than I used to do when I was 160 all those years back. I don't think my metabolism has heavily slowed down, I was just married for 10 years and putting on a steady 5 pounds a year haha.

The problem is how I'm going to do it without actually having access to a gym anymore and with a medical restriction on running (not that I ever did much running to begin with). It sounds a bit like I might have to bite the bullet and pay for the gym membership because I always liked incorporating cardio but running always fucked my knees whereas an elliptical doesn't.

So this guy decided to put a mat under the cable section and do ab exercises unrelated to the cable, then afterwards this other guy did the same. Then another guy finally used the cables and it broke. I didn't mess with the equipment so I just did my usual cable curls with the olympic bar, which swayed like a seesaw.

Raxus

Been outta the gym for quite some time now. SUUUUPER skinny and want to pack on them pounds again and muscle. Any suggestions for a program to begin and how long should I be on that program?

vypek

Going to try and get a better idea of nutrition. Not sure about my calorie needs at the moment but hoping to figure it out and possibly figure out the macro breakdowns as well.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Could anyone take a look at this at let me know if it's OK and will help? A quick TLDR, I spent most of my life moridly obese and sitting at a PC which destroyed my core muscles, causing me to suffer with awful back pain. I've been advised to do core stretches/exercises to build up the muscles which will help with the pain. I've done some reading up on which is good/bad with a bad back and I've come up with a short list I could do every day and I'm just wondering if it looks OK & will actually help? Remember I'm in awful shape and have a lot of pain so can't do much more and I don't want to do anything that'll make the pain worse.

Bridges - Holding 10 secs, 8 times
Crunches - Holding 5 secs, 8 times
Knee to chest - Holding 15 secs, 2 times each leg
Hamstring stretch - Holding 30 secs, 2 times each leg (against the wall)
Press up extension -Holding 5 secs, 8 times
Bird dog - Holding 5 secs, 8 times
Wall sit - Holding 10 seconds, 8 times

I should also note I have insanely tight hamstrings, or well my left hamstring, it feels like it's going to snap when I do the wall stretches, whereas my right leg isn't too bad doing them.

Whilst there's not a lot wrong with what you've got there (I'd suggest that you're not really working the lower back much though, which could lead to imbalances)... I'd really suggest seeing a physio for a session just to get a set of exercises which work on your ACTUAL weaknesses, rather than perceived.

TheBear

I hope youre right , but people tend to overstimate the amount of muscle they hold and understimate the amount of fat they have. Shit like that leads to people getting disheartened and i know somebody who quit working out because they were living in their own fantasy land. But for all i know Jimmy could be an absolute tank

I think I'm probably misrepresenting myself in that I don't think I'm huge or anything but I look more solid than fat (I guess) but I have no illusions that my lifts are pathetic. I guess I am more curious about what I will look like in say 6 months to a years time if I carry on training as I am now and being relatively strict with my diet. I know if I was really strict with my diet and did a lot of Hiit training for example I would look pretty great, but I hate that style of training. Barbell training I love, and hope to entering powerlifting comps in the future, but I'm nowhere near lifting enough to even consider it.

I guess what I'm asking is, if I train long enough to lift really heavy (enough to compete), is it safe to assume I'll have the physique to go with it?

yeah but you break your bone just breathing.
Ha, it had been somewhat weakened after breaking it a few months earlier in a massive mountain biking crash...

...but yeah, I don't really know I can ever trust those ribs again.

My new party trick is having people feel the holes and dents in the bones. :D

I guess what I'm asking is, if I train long enough to lift really heavy (enough to compete), is it safe to assume I'll have the physique to go with it?

In general, powerlifters are fat. If you want to lift heavy, you're not going to be watching the scale.

You can, but you also need to accept that you wont be lifting anywhere near what you're potentially capable of.

TheBear

I wasnt trying to put you down. Your lifts are fine , as you say youre making progress and thats what matters . If you were to continue your training to the point where youre lifting really heavy theres no doubt youd have to the mass to go along with it. But you most likely wont look like a bodybuilder as you'll be eating a lot for recovery and strength.

I didn't think you were putting me down so all good :)
I'm just curious about it since I'm treating lifting more like a sport rather than exercise for the sake of it, and just hoping a bi-product of that is looking like a beast.

Also, every 90kg power lifter I've seen looks pretty fucking jacked, so that would work for me

Top Bottom