• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

How does doing weights compare to things like an exercise bike or treadmill for losing weight? Right now I've been doing some light weights and the bike, while doing a treadmill occasionally. I'm wondering if I should start heavily increasing my weights. My goal right now is to lose weight first and gain muscle second. Losing weight will mostly come down to if I can watch my calories carefully but I feel like cardio would help more than weights.

How does doing weights compare to things like an exercise bike or treadmill for losing weight? Right now I've been doing some light weights and the bike, while doing a treadmill occasionally. I'm wondering if I should start heavily increasing my weights. My goal right now is to lose weight first and gain muscle second. Losing weight will mostly come down to if I can watch my calories carefully but I feel like cardio would help more than weights.

Cardio is giving a man a fish (burn calories now). Weight training is teaching him how to fish (burns calories now, builds muscle mass to keep burning them).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cardio is giving a man a fish (burn calories now). Weight training is teaching him how to fish (burns calories now, builds muscle mass to keep burning them).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'll up my weightlifting a bit then. I still probably won't do normal weights though as I'm incredibly paranoid about other people watching me.

Watching my calories is going to be really hard if I keep getting these flashes. Sometimes I get this sudden feeling where my body starts shaking really badly and I just have to start eating as much as I can. Just had one of those and there came 1200 calories instantly. I wasn't planning on going to the gym today but now I feel like I almost have to.

How much are you eating? Ive never heard of someone shaking violently whilst cutting cals. Maybe you should up your cals slightly or try and eat food that digests slowly to help you stay full for longer. Or maybe its a lack of self control?

I've had this happen before while I wasn't cutting calories. It'll happen about once a month or so. The timing is just weird as I've just started trying to watch my calorie intake. My goal is keeping it under 2800 a day, although I'd like to get it under 2500 a day.

For this time to try to stop it, I first ate 3 hotdogs (420 calories) and it didn't really help. Then some left over chicken mcnuggets (270 calories), still didn't help. Drank 2 glasses of milk (around 400 calories) but still had the feeling. Ate some carrot sticks (35ish calories) and I still had the feeling. Finally snacked on some healthier cereal (around 100 calories) and the feeling started to go away.

Not a doctor.

I think you may be having regular panic attacks and may find medication to be the most effective treatment.

Not a doctor.

I'm already on medication for a few things that I'm trying to reduce. It happens rarely enough and is easy enough to fix that I'm not that worried about it. On the bright side, I haven't really been hungry since then. I'm going to sleep soon and I'm well under 2,000 calories for today.

On chest day my delts take the longest to recover between sets, is that pretty normal. I do bench press or dumb bell press and super set with cable flys.

My chest recovers pretty quickly, but i gotta wait an extra 30-45 seconds to let my delts recover. Which is weird because my delts are probably the best looking part of my body, and i dedicate an entire day to delts/traps.

Alright guys weights it is...

But just Squats and Deadlifts!!! Everything else I'm doing high sets of body weight.

Guess I should start with proper form

-SG

What did you get first for your home gym? I was thinking of getting some equipment but what should be the first thing to get? Bench?

I got a bunch of stuff from Fitness Depot in Ottawa:
- Crossbox Squat Racks (I have a chin-up bar already and not very high ceilings)
- Spotter Arms
- Black Oxide Olympic Bar
- 260 lbs in their bumper plates
- Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells and a bench I found on Kijiji

I've been super impressed with the quality and how sturdy the squat stands are. They're pretty good Rogue clones at a way lower price point and for what I do, they're perfect.

I'll up my weightlifting a bit then. I still probably won't do normal weights though as I'm incredibly paranoid about other people watching me.

You can always do calisthenics?

Find an outdoor park or school, run there, do calisthenics (pull/chin ups, dips, pushups, bw squats, lunges, ab exercises, etc) run back home, that could be your routine.

You won't get yolked with this routine but with the proper diet, you'll definitely lose weight and build muscle and be more healthy overall. Do it long enough and you'll get shredded.

And don't think "What happens when it gets too easy?" There are plenty of progressions within calisthenics:

Pullups > L-Sit Pullups > Archer Pullups > High pullups > Muscleups
You can also vary grips, pronated, supinated, mixed, etc.

Mrcapcom

I got a bunch of stuff from Fitness Depot in Ottawa:
- Crossbox Squat Racks (I have a chin-up bar already and not very high ceilings)
- Spotter Arms
- Black Oxide Olympic Bar
- 260 lbs in their bumper plates
- Bowflex SelectTech dumbbells and a bench I found on Kijiji

I've been super impressed with the quality and how sturdy the squat stands are. They're pretty good Rogue clones at a way lower price point and for what I do, they're perfect.

Nice I think i'll have to actually just get a home gym to supplement going to the gym since I'm loosing time now adays smh thanks for the info ill start looking for equipment

Tried to pull 370 on deadlift for the first time last night. I failed. :( I did get 350 up, though, so that's something. I'm hoping to get to 4 plates by the end of the year, so I've got some work ahead of me!

august 2014 -> august 2017
august 2014 -> august 2017

cFqPkHO.jpg
kCDhP5e.jpg

not too bad~!

Hello, fitness-gaf! Looking for some advice on how to start losing weight and generally eating healthier. I'm quite overweight and turn too quickly to junk food due to time and using it to try and cheer myself up.

I look after an elderly relative and due to them needing me around all the time, I have no time for going to the gym. I spend so much time on looking after them, it makes it harder to do anything for me as I'd be tired and feeling really down at the end of the day. I have noone who can come and give me even a couple of hours off a week, it's 24/7. But if I don't do something about my weight, I'll most likely die younger than I should.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Great news, men. Returned to the bench press starting from scratch with the bar, and a few sessions later doing 75 lbs. at 3x8 at the latest gym session with no pain so far. Woo!

Also, do barbell squats build up abs? Or is that an old wives tale?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Actually, what do YOU guys do for your abs?

edit: And neck. I need some good neck workouts too since I'm been neglecting that area.

It does because of bracing and stabilization, but depending on your overall ab strength, you may need to do additional ab exercises anyway.

I do the ab wheel and the horizontal wood chop using cables and have found they're more effective than crunches and leg raises - but that's just me.

Hello, fitness-gaf! Looking for some advice on how to start losing weight and generally eating healthier. I'm quite overweight and turn too quickly to junk food due to time and using it to try and cheer myself up.

I look after an elderly relative and due to them needing me around all the time, I have no time for going to the gym. I spend so much time on looking after them, it makes it harder to do anything for me as I'd be tired and feeling really down at the end of the day. I have noone who can come and give me even a couple of hours off a week, it's 24/7. But if I don't do something about my weight, I'll most likely die younger than I should.

Well first I'd say that using food to make yourself feel good is not conducive to good health. The faster you get yourself out of that mindset the better off you will be.

I'd say that if you're really this out of shape, just starting with a brisk walk every day and a diet based on fish and chicken, fruits, and vegetables, with water to drink, will get you started.

ACE 1991

I'm sure you've been told this many times before, but NO ONE gives a flying fuck what you personally are doing at the gym, unless you're doing something dangerous or rude. I can't stress that enough ;)

I'm sure you've been told this many times before, but NO ONE gives a flying fuck what you personally are doing at the gym, unless you're doing something dangerous or rude. I can't stress that enough ;)

Meh I've just had massive issues with paranoia. It's partly why I dropped out of high school my first year and started doing my schooling online, although there's a much better reason for that.

Haven't gone to the gym the last 2 days but I plan to today. Yesterday was weird. Only got 4 hours of sleep (which wasn't even good sleep). Didn't eat much at all yesterday, having only about 1700 calories. Much most rested today and have had more of an appetite, which is I think a good thing. Don't think it's good for someone my size eating only 1700 calories a day, which was two days in a row.

Beth Cyra

So fit Gaf I was approached by my gym owner to take part in their Crossfit class, I generally just do my own thing and stick to my headphones being loud enough to not even hear other people.

I am just wondering is beginner cross fit something that is kinda an easy transition from regular gym going/weight lifting?

I looked into it a year ago or so when it was really booming but so many people said it's the best way to hurt yourself I got scared off and haven't thought much of it till they invited me to join them for a few days for free.

Honestly my biggest thing is I'm just nervous to interact with people as I'm so isolated and people don't judge you so long as you clean the machines and don't cut in.

lenovox1

So fit Gaf I was approached by my gym owner to take part in their Crossfit class, I generally just do my own thing and stick to my headphones being loud enough to not even hear other people.

I am just wondering is beginner cross fit something that is kinda an easy transition from regular gym going/weight lifting?

I looked into it a year ago or so when it was really booming but so many people said it's the best way to hurt yourself I got scared off and haven't thought much of it till they invited me to join them for a few days for free.

Honestly my biggest thing is I'm just nervous to interact with people as I'm so isolated and people don't judge you so long as you clean the machines and don't cut in.

CrossFit is cardio cross training with weights and calisthenics. The difficulty of a class is dependent primarily on what you decide to do. The weights you select, if you decide to assist your pullups or even do pullups, etc.

You're uber strong and are familiar with compound and Olympic lifts, so you'll be fine.

And if anyone in that room has any time to judge you, they're not doing their own workout right.

TheBear

At the moment I'm doing compound lifts three times a week (sq,dl,bench, ohp)

Have been at it for a few months now and I'm enjoying it, but not sure if I'm getting the results I'm after. I'm training at a really good powerlifting gym and am getting coached, but the commute (30mins each way) is a bit much.
Was thinking about going to a local gym and changing routines. Any suggestions? I really want to build up my upper body (neck, back and chest) and lose the gut.

Laekon

How do I find out what weight to start with? Tomorrow is going to be my first day doing squats and deadlifts and beyond warming up with just the bar I'm not sure how to figure out what weight to lift. I'm completely untrained and slightly worried about doing these on my own at first but it is what it is. Should I just plain on doing a lot of sets slowing adding weight each time until I think my form is not correct?

How do I find out what weight to start with? Tomorrow is going to be my first day doing squats and deadlifts and beyond warming up with just the bar I'm not sure how to figure out what weight to lift. I'm completely untrained and slightly worried about doing these on my own at first but it is what it is. Should I just plain on doing a lot of sets slowing adding weight each time until I think my form is not correct?

Exactly that. Do the bar. Add 5-10 pounds. Do that. Repeat.

Truth be told, if you plan to follow a program with linear progression such as Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or another, it doesn't matter much if you find your "ideal" spot. You'll get there and beyond soon enough. And if all you can with good form is the bar, that's fine.

With that in mind, if you haven't, I can't help but recommend these videos once again.

Watch this playlist (covers squat, deadlift, overhead, and bench with Mark Rippetoe [Starting Strength])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVC_AnZYYM&list=PLLIasrSrFGdSNbeOT8Agw9N301qCHpRU0

Here's an Alan Thrall video on bent over barbell rows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8l_8chR5BE

Laekon

Exactly that. Do the bar. Add 5-10 pounds. Do that. Repeat.

Truth be told, if you plan to follow a program with linear progression such as Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or another, it doesn't matter much if you find your "ideal" spot. You'll get there and beyond soon enough. And if all you can with good form is the bar, that's fine.

With that in mind, if you haven't, I can't help but recommend these videos once again.
I have watched the videos before so thanks for that. One thing I haven't seen covered is how to work on deadlift form when there is nothing to put the bar at the right height. Do you just do Romanian deadlifts with just the bar and until you get larger plates on it?

I have watched the videos before so thanks for that. One thing I haven't seen covered is how to work on deadlift form when there is nothing to put the bar at the right height. Do you just do Romanian deadlifts with just the bar and until you get larger plates on it?

You could, or you could see if your gym has pulling stands, or if you can just stack some blocks or weight plates to the approximate height that a plated bar would be.

How big of a roll does hip abduction muscles play in a squat? Can they make the difference between squating 275 and squating 315 if you train them properly or are they not that important?

How big of a roll does hip abduction muscles play in a squat? Can they make the difference between squating 275 and squating 315 if you train them properly or are they not that important?
whenever I trained them separately I was getting injuries -- but from what I understand they make a bigger difference for sumo squats

Top Bottom