• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

late night chest pump

yxKe7xG.jpg

JCX

Personally i'd stay away from the smith machine unless you have injuries that prevent the use of free weights. Theres a bunch of reasons im not gonna blast you with(mainly because theyre all over youtube) but just a friendly heads up.

Other than that , failure is nothing to be afraid of if you set the pins on the power rack correctly. I've failed a bunch of pr attempts and its really no sweat once you realise you have a comfortable safety net. Just practice your form using some light weight until your consistently correct and you'll be making swift progress in no time.

I had been doing barbell squats twice a week back in May/June, made no progress in strength during that time despite increases in my other lifts. Even just the bar makes me tip over and fall. I'll give it another shot today though.

keiichi

I had been doing barbell squats twice a week back in May/June, made no progress in strength during that time despite increases in my other lifts. Even just the bar makes me tip over and fall. I'll give it another shot today though.

People with more experience will chime in help but have a few questions for you:

Are you wearing sneakers? I would try in socks and see how that feels.
Have you tried putting small plates on the ground and putting your heels on those?
High bar or low bar?
When you're squatting, where do you feel you're putting most of your body weight on? I always imagine sitting back on my heels.

Keep at it though!

Why not man? Injuries?

Nah, often times if I hit anything I'm proud of it also means I'm getting fat, lol. Last fall I was super pleased with being able to get 115lb dumbbells up for a few reps on flat bench. I was around 175lbs when that happened and now I'm back down to like 150lbs struggling to get 6 reps of 95lbs.

I'm going to try and get back up there again this fall though with the goal of not getting nearly as fat... See how that goes!

Mediking

Training your core up to a point helps keep your core tight and trim , especially when incorporating vacuums. People often refer to training the obliques when they make that statement but you'd probably need to turn in your natty card or to genetically have wide hips for them to get massive. Pro Bodybuilder Chul Soon is a prime example of having stupidly thick obliques

Either way theres many benefits to training your core, someone who hits abs is likely gonna be looking better than someone who doesnt.

There's buff... and then there's too buff. Lol

Marz

Nah, often times if I hit anything I'm proud of it also means I'm getting fat, lol. Last fall I was super pleased with being able to get 115lb dumbbells up for a few reps on flat bench. I was around 175lbs when that happened and now I'm back down to like 150lbs struggling to get 6 reps of 95lbs.

I'm going to try and get back up there again this fall though with the goal of not getting nearly as fat... See how that goes!

Damn I don't know how you guys even lift those dumbbells at that weight. Is it because you guys have short arms?? I'm 190 lbs but I'm pretty tall and lanky

The bar needs to be over midfoot. If it's drifting out in front of you or behind you, you're losing balance. What style of squats do you do (when you try)? Assuming you don't have an actual physical impediment, it's either going to be technique or mobility that's limiting you. You shouldn't fall over with just the bar.

So I've been sedentary my whole life and from time to time started working out, got slightly into shape and then dropped it. I'd like some advice on a routine I could make at home mostly to build up strength before I feel confident enough to go to the gym. THe thing with going to the gym is that it usually leads to panic attacks the moment I feel I'm in someone else's way and since I've never been much of a fitness kind of person, I immediately feel demotivated and leave.

Height: 1.85m
Weight: 75kg
Goal: 68-70kg weight loss
Current Training Schedule: None
Current Training Equipment Available: Yoga mat, set of dumbells
Comments: I can get other small equipment like a pullup bar but as mentioned, I'd rather see if it's possible to get started at home with what I can get before going into the gym since I get anxious there.

Jokab

How do you all feel about the hip-thrusting OHP that Rippetoe teaches? Do you use it? What are the pros and cons of doing it? I have been doing the very strict verson that Alan Thrall teaches in his OHP video so far.

Faiz

How do you all feel about the hip-thrusting OHP that Rippetoe teaches? Do you use it? What are the pros and cons of doing it? I have been doing the very strict verson that Alan Thrall teaches in his OHP video so far.

Expect Thrall to change his now that he's a certified Starting Strength coach.

Personally I think there's a place for both but I'm hardly an expert or an advanced lifter so no one should really care what I think 😂

Mediking

So I've been sedentary my whole life and from time to time started working out, got slightly into shape and then dropped it. I'd like some advice on a routine I could make at home mostly to build up strength before I feel confident enough to go to the gym. THe thing with going to the gym is that it usually leads to panic attacks the moment I feel I'm in someone else's way and since I've never been much of a fitness kind of person, I immediately feel demotivated and leave.

Height: 1.85m
Weight: 75kg
Goal: 68-70kg weight loss
Current Training Schedule: None
Current Training Equipment Available: Yoga mat, set of dumbells
Comments: I can get other small equipment like a pullup bar but as mentioned, I'd rather see if it's possible to get started at home with what I can get before going into the gym since I get anxious there.

I'm not exactly an expert either but lifting weights and a healthy diet is vital. Thats what I do. Running too.

TheBear

Whatever happened to the old bodybuilding routines everyone used to do. Chest and biceps, back and triceps etc. everyone recommends barbell routines now, why the change?

Montresor

Can someone help me come up with a good regimen of strength exercises that only involve dumbbells and that I can perform at home?

I plan on using my condo's gym to run the treadmill for cardio twice a week on the weekends. During the weekday I want to stay home after dinner and do dumbbells, push-ups, sit-ups, etc... Not looking to be big - I want to slim down tremendously.

I've gone from 255lbs to 245lbs in three months through watching calories on MyFitnessPal app... and I'm not happy with that. I havent exercised. Just watched calories. And I want to change that.

I'm looking to go down to 200lbs by January 2018... I really just want a strict set of rules and procedures to follow. I'm incredibly good at following a schedule. It helps motivate and guide me.... so I'm trying my best to stick to a routine.

KillerBEA

Wait are you talking about the Push Press or the Strict Press? Because those are two different lifts.

Whatever happened to the old bodybuilding routines everyone used to do. Chest and biceps, back and triceps etc. everyone recommends barbell routines now, why the change?
I think those are called bro splits now. Barbells are recommended I think because they promote compound movements and target the biggest muscles of your body. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a weight loss GAF? There threads seems to be mostly dedicated to body building.

Anyway, I'm very close to my first weight loss goal (~1kg!), but I'm also getting a bit worried since I have loss some symmetry, aka, one side lost weight faster than the other. What the are causes of this and what I can do about it?

Is there a weight loss GAF? There threads seems to be mostly dedicated to body building.

Anyway, I'm very close to my first weight loss goal (~1kg!), but I'm also getting a bit worried since I have loss some symmetry, aka, one side lost weight faster than the other. What the are causes of this and what I can do about it?

Losing weight is all about your diet, you need to download a calorie tracker, find how many calories you need to maintain your weight, then cut out about 500 calories from your diet.

This becomes much easier if you cut out fat because its 9 calories per gram instead of 4 calories per gram like Protein and Carbs are. Try to stick to whole grains/fruit/vegetables/dairy/grilled check and Fish.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Losing weight is all about your diet, you need to download a calorie tracker, find how many calories you need to maintain your weight, then cut out about 500 calories from your diet.

This becomes much easier if you cut out fat because its 9 calories per gram instead of 4 calories per gram like Protein and Carbs are. Try to stick to whole grains/fruit/vegetables/dairy/grilled check and Fish.

Ty for answering! I have been losing weight fine, though. But what's kinda creeping me out is that this hasn't been symmetrical, I have more fat on one side of my belly than the other. :/

You cannot loose localized fat, it sucks but this is how it is.

I have decided to finally 'end' my diet.

I don't mean going back to how I ate but I've 'been on a diet' for a year and a half.
I need to move on from restricting what I eat to expanding what I eat that fits my life.

It's mostly symbolic since it isn't going to change how I view health but I think moving on is the right way to look at my health going forward.

I also really want to stop feeling like I have to work out every day. I need to work out a few times a week and eat in a manner that supports that. I'm thinking of doing longer workouts (~45min) instead of shorter daily ones (25 min)

I'm down 70 pounds and am spending the next two weeks grinding on all cylinders on the exercise and eating.

I'm on my bike two days a week, I have three power yoga session with DDP and I have one yinyasa class on Sunday.

It's costly right now but I'd like to have two vinyasa classes a week and maybe a bike ride out in the city.

I'm in the process of purchasing a cowboy hat and belt buckle. Why? Because I've had this cheesy photo of myself I wanted to take since I started working out.

Shirtless in a cowboy hat...I don't know why but I feel like it's the correct decision.

KillerBEA

Can you explain why? I mean Rippetoe is legit, why is his method bad?

I don't like Rippetoe or most of the things he teaches. You or anyone can use this method of pressing, that's fine, but the objective I carry in my mind when I do the lift is to use my Shoulders, Upperback, and Triceps as much as possible when doing it and keep my hips out of it. I have Push Presses and Jerks for getting the bar overhead otherwise. Rippetoe's school of thought is that more weight is more important than how and that just isn't the case.

Just got home from the gym. Did back squats, 20 rep sets at 225, 245, 275 and 295 without really pausing except on the last 5 or so for a few breaths on 275 and 295. Also did a couple sets of leg press at about 40 reps each.

My legs are sore.

Raxus

What are some quick high calorie meals I can eat to bulk up? I am munching on PB right now but even then that stuff is hard to keep down. I even drink 1-2 shakes a day but I am having trouble reaching my calorie goals.

What are some quick high calorie meals I can eat to bulk up? I am munching on PB right now but even then that stuff is hard to keep down. I even drink 1-2 shakes a day but I am having trouble reaching my calorie goals.

Well I have bad news because pb is everyone's first suggestion for that question. Granola comes to mind (because there is so much sugar in the stuff that you find at the store). Try to look for stuff that's high in fat.

Top Bottom