• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

GrizzNKev

Banned
Why is losing weight so damn difficult?

What do you guys do when you're cutting to fight off the desire to stuff your face, especially at times when you're in emotional distress?

Eat a fucking huge salad, or go for near zero calorie options.

I can pretty effectively fill myself up on celery and salsa too, plus salsa is delicious, so it's a win.

Fasting is the best tool for me though. If I say I'M NOT EATING UNTIL 7PM, then I'm not eating until 7pm. The less time I have to eat, the less I can eat.

What do you guys do when you're cutting to fight off the desire to stuff your face, especially at times when you're in emotional distress?

I recommend filling yourself up on fruit, vegetables, and grilled chicken.

When i was cutting i would eat like 50% protien, 40% carbs and only 10% fat. I made sure to avoid fats, sugar, and sodium and i was hitting MyFitnessPals fiber and potassium goals.

This worked very very well and the results energized me.

Edit: when i say avoid sodium and sugar, i mean be below the MyFitnessPal recommendation.

mdsfx

Racing the Chicago Triathlon tomorrow. Water temp is 69/70°F - wetsuit-legal and comfortably cool. I'll be standing in this very line trying my best to contain my excitement >)

Edit: Apparently it's the biggest Triathlon event in the US with 9,000 athletes...?! I didn't realize how big it was. My biggest event so far had about 1,500!

triathlonSwim1-thumb-640xauto-204907.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Racing the Chicago Triathlon tomorrow. Water temp is 69/70°F - wetsuit-legal and comfortably cool. I'll be standing in this very line trying my best to contain my excitement >)

Edit: Apparently it's the biggest Triathlon event in the US with 9,000 athletes...?! I didn't realize how big it was. My biggest event so far had about 1,500!

triathlonSwim1-thumb-640xauto-204907.jpg

Good luck bud.

Ixian

In addition to what the others suggested (low calorie foods that are filling, like veggies, salads, etc.), I find that watching videos of other people eating helps me out (I really like Nathan Figueroa's videos, for example). My mind tends to fixate on the idea of food rather than actually needing to eat myself, and watching videos helps scratch that itch. If that fails, I usually snack on pickles or Jalapeno peppers.

GrizzNKev

Banned
In addition to what the others suggested (low calorie foods that are filling, like veggies, salads, etc.), I find that watching videos of other people eating helps me out (I really like Nathan Figueroa's videos, for example). My mind tends to fixate on the idea of food rather than actually needing to eat myself, and watching videos helps scratch that itch. If that fails, I usually snack on pickles or Jalapeno peppers.

This is something I had started doing already, but this is amazing. Definitely going to watch these when I get cravings for shitty food. It's also a good way to be disgusted by overeating.

mdsfx

Well that 1/2-mile swim was INTENSE. The waves were not messing around today. I could feel myself being lifted and dropped every couple of seconds. You had to be careful not to take a wave to the face and inhale water when trying to breathe. I also started to lose count of how many people I had to swim around (or over if I didn't see them) who were just out there trying to survive, lying on their backs in the water at a stand-still. Yikes. I enjoyed it though and stayed calm(ish) throughout.

Placed well within the top 10% which I'm happy with:

For relevance: Now that I'm done racing for the year (other than the marathon in Oct), I need to get back on squats. Starting back up first thing tomorrow.

Teggy

Well that 1/2-mile swim was INTENSE. The waves were not messing around today. I could feel myself being lifted and dropped every couple of seconds. You had to be careful not to take a wave to the face and inhale water when trying to breathe. I also started to lose count of how many people I had to swim around (or over if I didn't see them) who were just out there trying to survive, lying on their backs in the water at a stand-still. Yikes. I enjoyed it though and stayed calm(ish) throughout.

Placed well within the top 10% which I'm happy with:

For relevance: Now that I'm done racing for the year (other than the marathon in Oct), I need to get back on squats. Starting back up first thing tomorrow.

When are you doing an Ironman?

mdsfx

I've thought a lot about doing a half Ironman, and have been a few clicks away on several occasions from registering for one of the Wisconsin races, but what it all boils down to is how much time you're willing to sink into training. I decided recently that I'm not taking any more time away from my wife and kids than I already do. Until they get older, I'm going to focus on improving my time in the shorter races.

Teggy

I've thought a lot about doing a half Ironman, and have been a few clicks away on several occasions from registering for one of the Wisconsin races, but what it all boils down to is how much time you're willing to sink into training. I decided recently that I'm not taking any more time away from my wife and kids than I already do. Until they get older, I'm going to focus on improving my time in the shorter races.

I know a guy that does triathlons and one day he put up a 3hr trainer session on Strava. That probably isn't even that big of a deal for most serious competitors, but the thought of sitting in the basement pedaling nonstop for 3 hrs just made my rear end hurt in sympathy.

I know a guy that does triathlons and one day he put up a 3hr trainer session on Strava. That probably isn't even that big of a deal for most serious competitors, but the thought of sitting in the basement pedaling nonstop for 3 hrs just made my rear end hurt in sympathy.

/raises hand

...and yeah, it's shit. Far, far more soul destroying than a ride double the length outdoors.

entremet

������������

He's low key calling you fat ������

LOL. nah.

I used to be more active here and I remember Brolic's journey. It's been impressive. Same with you, FE.

What happened to Sean? Another FitGAF oldster?

entremet

Sadly he was banned for unrelated threads.

That's unfortunate. I used to love FitGAF. Not that I hate it now lol. Just got in my fitness groove and stopped needing the motivation. I'm pretty much on autopilot now, but FitGAF was a huge inspiration for me in the beginning.

I still lurk from time to time. Good to see old regulars still posting.

Sitting here at work waiting for my pc to finish installing Windows updates. After 20 minutes, it's 10% done.

On the plus side, I was front squatting Saturday and felt a muscle pop/tear in my back. So I'm taking the week off from working out, drinking protein shakes, etc. After working out 6 days a week since Memorial Day it really feels like a vacation.

ugggggh. Tweaked a hamstring yesterday playing soccer. I guess that's what I get as a 38 y.o. playing against 20-somethings. On top of that, I am in the middle of a 2-3 week break from heavy lifting to see if my elbow pain clears up and had been running to keep from going completely inactive. I guess I'll have to seriously count some calories for a few weeks while my old body heals up.

Hopefully I'm asking this in the right place. If I'm not, please let me know where to go.

I'm already physically active, and have been running twice a week and doing various exercises (push-ups and several variations, sit-ups, that kind of stuff - and I take Krav Maga twice a week), but I want to take it to the next level and get some good muscle definition going. I'm not looking to get buff or bulk up, I just want to be more fit and toned - arms, chest, abs, the usual suspects. Would it be more beneficial to me to get a gym membership, or would it make more sense to purchase a set of dumbbells and a bench of some kind and do various exercises at home? It seems to me it's cheaper in the long run to do dumbbells and a bench, but of course the equipment at the gym is more varied. I'm not totally sure which is better for my goal, or what the key differences are.

If it seems like dumbbells and a bench might be better, what are some of the better options? If its a gym, which things should I look for when searching for a place to try? And what sort of progress can I expect from either in relation to various muscle groups?

I also don't have any sort of app or training program or anything. Is there anything out there that would help me keep track of anything worth keeping track of that I can't do mentally?

Even though I'm physically active, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to weights and gyms. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Hopefully I'm asking this in the right place. If I'm not, please let me know where to go.

I'm already physically active, and have been running twice a week and doing various exercises (push-ups and several variations, sit-ups, that kind of stuff - and I take Krav Maga twice a week), but I want to take it to the next level and get some good muscle definition going. I'm not looking to get buff or bulk up, I just want to be more fit and toned - arms, chest, abs, the usual suspects. Would it be more beneficial to me to get a gym membership, or would it make more sense to purchase a set of dumbbells and a bench of some kind and do various exercises at home? It seems to me it's cheaper in the long run to do dumbbells and a bench, but of course the equipment at the gym is more varied. I'm not totally sure which is better for my goal, or what the key differences are.

If it seems like dumbbells and a bench might be better, what are some of the better options? If its a gym, which things should I look for when searching for a place to try? And what sort of progress can I expect from either in relation to various muscle groups?

I also don't have any sort of app or training program or anything. Is there anything out there that would help me keep track of anything worth keeping track of that I can't do mentally?

Even though I'm physically active, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to weights and gyms. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

-- As a newbie I recommend you get gym membership. Until you get into the routine habit of training, the presence of weights in the household is just a tool of fitness procrastination.
-- I would learn the four compound lifts first -- bench, squat, deadlift and overhead press. Compound lifts exercise multiple muscle groups simultaneously at varying degrees.

-- As a newbie I recommend you get gym membership. Until you get into the routine habit of training, the presence of weights in the household is just a tool of fitness procrastination.
-- I would learn the four compound lifts first -- bench, squat, deadlift and overhead press. Compound lifts exercise multiple muscle groups simultaneously at varying degrees.

If procrastination absolutely isn't an issue, as I'm already in the habit of exercising regularly and have been for about a year now (to the point of I have scheduled days and time set aside every week), does the gym still win out?

If procrastination absolutely isn't an issue, as I'm already in the habit of exercising regularly and have been for about a year now (to the point of I have scheduled days and time set aside every week), does the gym still win out?

Yes, because you cannot do all compound lifts at home unless you are also prepared to invest in a squat rack and platform among other things.

Having a set of dumbbells at home is always a good idea, but there are limitations if you want to achieve at home. Also, you learn a lot just by seeing what other lifters are doing (you'll also "learn" a lot of broscience which you will need to filter out).

mdsfx

Show up to my gym this morning to find everyone standing outside... Then a few firetrucks come and I realize the alarm is going off. I'm just standing here waiting with 50 other people. At this point I'll be lucky if I just get to take a shower lol

Edit: ran 3 miles. Better than nothing I guess.

Absolutely bad day for fitness for me today. Started the morning with two fried eggs, rice, and a whole plate of carbonara with bacon. Then came lunch: fried pork, lots of shrimp on fried squash, squid, graham cake, and dried pork rind. Got the largest of a sweet coffee from Starbucks. Then I ate a boiled egg afterwards. Gym felt bad.

Also, yesterday didn't help since I ate a huge burger for lunch then coupled it with pasta with tons of bacon.

I should really stop eating these things.

Show up to my gym this morning to find everyone standing outside... Then a few firetrucks come and I realize the alarm is going off. I'm just standing here waiting with 50 other people. At this point I'll be lucky if I just get to take a shower lol

Edit: ran 3 miles. Better than nothing I guess.
So what happened to your gym? Congratulations on the event by the way, you absolute beast. I see you too on the running thread :)

Yes, because you cannot do all compound lifts at home unless you are also prepared to invest in a squat rack and platform among other things.

Having a set of dumbbells at home is always a good idea, but there are limitations if you want to achieve at home. Also, you learn a lot just by seeing what other lifters are doing (you'll also "learn" a lot of broscience which you will need to filter out).

Okay. Is there anything I should look for when looking for a gym to join?

35 minute of cardio last night. All on the bike but I think I will try to do at least 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Getting lazy and I need to be more well rounded in my fitness journey.

I bounce anywhere from 230-240 these days. I'm at the higher end atm but I really want to get down to 220. I think that is the perfect weight for me.

Like that would ever bother me?

I'm over here eating jimmy johns and banging out weighted dips and pull-ups.

Lol

LOL. nah.

I used to be more active here and I remember Brolic's journey. It's been impressive. Same with you, FE.

What happened to Sean? Another FitGAF oldster?

All love for you guys!

I don't post nearly as much here either as I have fallen into a groove and know what I want to do and achieve. This thread was the first real community in which I participated in. Always enjoy hearing from the old school regulars and the new ones as well.

As for Sean, he got perm'd on some weak ish imo. You can follow him on IG if you haven't.

https://www.instagram.com/seanr1221/

Follow me too 😁 - https://www.instagram.com/rainmaker_ac

Sigh, hurt my left delt whilst sleeping again. I have no fucking idea why this happens (I assume some sort of tightness after exercise), but it's really starting to get to me.

Was really encouraged by yesterdays session too. :(

Top Bottom