• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

crpav

Well knee surgery was a success...I guess from last Thursday.

Here is right after all wrapped up:

http://i.imgur.com/CkW0cXk.jpg

2 days after unwrapped:

http://i.imgur.com/jjF4hwL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HSjYqxg.jpg

And yesterday morning:

http://i.imgur.com/9yPHTyM.jpg

Have not gone to the gym since last Wednesday for reasons above of course. I tried to workout lightly at home Monday, since wife said not to me going to gym, and it sucked. Planning on hitting it hard tomorrow. Upper body of course.

entremet

35 minute of cardio last night. All on the bike but I think I will try to do at least 20 minutes 3-4 times a week. Getting lazy and I need to be more well rounded in my fitness journey.

I bounce anywhere from 230-240 these days. I'm at the higher end atm but I really want to get down to 220. I think that is the perfect weight for me.

All love for you guys!

I don't post nearly as much here either as I have fallen into a groove and know what I want to do and achieve. This thread was the first real community in which I participated in. Always enjoy hearing from the old school regulars and the new ones as well.

As for Sean, he got perm'd on some weak ish imo. You can follow him on IG if you haven't.

https://www.instagram.com/seanr1221/

Follow me too 😁 - https://www.instagram.com/rainmaker_ac
Cool. Shout outs to BlackFlag and Cooter too.

giphy.gif

I just discovered FitNotes on Android. My gym routine:

** Dumbbell Curl And Lift **
- 3x15

** Shoulder Fly **
- 3x15

** Flat Dumbbell Bench Press **
- 3x12

** Rope Push Down **
- 3x15

** Spade Cable Pull-up **
- 3x12

** Rope Pull **
- 2x15

** Seated Cable Row **
- 3x12

** Lateral Machine Raise **
- 3x12

** Overhead Press **
- 3x12

** Seated Machine Dip **
- 3x15

** Seated Machine Dip Backwards **
- 3x15

** Seated Jackknife **
- 3x15

** Leg Raise **
- 3x15

** Hanging Knee Raise **
- 3x5

** Pull Up **
1 rep if I'm lucky

** Chin Up **
- 3 reps
- 2 reps
- 1 rep

See a pattern? :)

Tidalwave

Hey guys. Quick question about planking cause Google isn't really helping. Started only being able to hold planks for like 30 seconds. Few months later and I'm almost at 2 minutes.
My warmup every day consists of,
1 basic plank for about 1m40sec
1 side plank on each side about 1m
5x15 leg lifts
4x10 push ups

So my question basically is, is one plank enough to start getting results outside of endurance as long as I keep upping my time? My warm up routine does wear me out a bit but leaves me still wondering if there's more effort I could be putting in here before hitting the weights. Or maybe theres something else entirely I could add on.

Hey guys. Quick question about planking cause Google isn't really helping. Started only being able to hold planks for like 30 seconds. Few months later and I'm almost at 2 minutes.
My warmup every day consists of,
1 basic plank for about 1m40sec
1 side plank on each side about 1m
5x15 leg lifts
4x10 push ups

So my question basically is, is one plank enough to start getting results outside of endurance as long as I keep upping my time? My warm up routine does wear me out a bit but leaves me still wondering if there's more effort I could be putting in here before hitting the weights. Or maybe theres something else entirely I could add on.

Try the ab wheel and never look back. It's a much better abs exercise.

KillerBEA

I am getting really paranoid about form. What can I do to edit it. Ask someone to take a video of me?

Seems weird.

I just prop my phone against something. If I am deadlifting or squatting I have my shoes off so I use my shoes to prop it up.

Speaking of bro science a trainer tried to encourage me to do higher reps for strength training.
Higher reps work for strength training. The main thing is if you spend most of your time in higher reps you won't be able to express the built up strength as a new 1 rep max right away but you will be stronger in the rep range you have been training around/in. So if you spend a lot of time training sets of 10, you will be good at sets of 10 and probably 8. If you peak down to lower rep ranges appropriately you will be able to express your newly acquired strength as a 1 rep max.

A lot of junk work.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just discovered FitNotes on Android. My gym routine:

** Dumbbell Curl And Lift **
- 3x15

** Shoulder Fly **
- 3x15

** Flat Dumbbell Bench Press **
- 3x12

** Rope Push Down **
- 3x15

** Spade Cable Pull-up **
- 3x12

** Rope Pull **
- 2x15

** Seated Cable Row **
- 3x12

** Lateral Machine Raise **
- 3x12

** Overhead Press **
- 3x12

** Seated Machine Dip **
- 3x15

** Seated Machine Dip Backwards **
- 3x15

** Seated Jackknife **
- 3x15

** Leg Raise **
- 3x15

** Hanging Knee Raise **
- 3x5

** Pull Up **
1 rep if I'm lucky

** Chin Up **
- 3 reps
- 2 reps
- 1 rep

The only pattern I see is shit program, and I wouldn't even call it a program

Wow, I remember when you were just dreaming about hitting 405.

Been a long road for sure
Thoughts on the slingshot?

I like it for overload at the end of main work. I think a lot of people abuse it and use it for ego. That's a mistake. It's basically like using reverse bands.it also saves my shoulders a ton after they have already been beat up from main work

Marz

Still concerned my deadlit form is not where it should be. Went up in weight on it today and didn't feel too bad just scared to do as much as I know I can.

Bent over row progression is going well got up to 150 today.

Need to get serious about my diet tho.

lenovox1

Still concerned my deadlit form is not where it should be. Went up in weight on it today and didn't feel too bad just scared to do as much as I know I can.

Bent over row progression is going well got up to 150 today.

Need to get serious about my diet tho.

Film it. It's the only way to do a proper self-assessment. Post it, too, if you need the extra feedback.

Does anyone have a link to a workout with dumbbells at home that covers the main muscles?

I have googled and youtubed it but everyone has such a wildly different workout, what to pick?

Does anyone have a link to a workout with dumbbells at home that covers the main muscles?

I have googled and youtubed it but everyone has such a wildly different workout, what to pick?

Bench press, over head press, squat, lunges, romanian deadlifts, etc, you can target most muscle groups with dumbbells.

Raxus

I just prop my phone against something. If I am deadlifting or squatting I have my shoes off so I use my shoes to prop it up.

Higher reps work for strength training. The main thing is if you spend most of your time in higher reps you won't be able to express the built up strength as a new 1 rep max right away but you will be stronger in the rep range you have been training around/in. So if you spend a lot of time training sets of 10, you will be good at sets of 10 and probably 8. If you peak down to lower rep ranges appropriately you will be able to express your newly acquired strength as a 1 rep max.

That makes more sense. Any words of advice to someone working out the rust and wanting to push further than before? Main concern as a nurse is protecting my back so getting up to 300 in deadlifts is a big goal.

The only pattern I see is shit program, and I wouldn't even call it a program

I was actually referring to the last exercise, but I can't disagree with both of you since I just do everything I can do in a single day. If it's alright, what's wrong with what I'm doing so I can fix it?

I was apprehended again yesterday at the gym because I was told I was doing the rope pull downs wrong, a thing I know myself since I'm pulling with my back, so from 40 kg I'm back at 10 but now I feel my triceps when I do the thing.

mdsfx

I don't know if any of you have Blue-Cross for insurance, but I use their Fitness Program to cover my gym memberships ($25/month). You automatically earn points for each gym visit and you can redeem them for merchandise. Anyways, I logged on for the first time in months and realized I had accumulated a crapload of points and now there is a 2DS on its way to my house... I'll take it!

I don't know if any of you have Blue-Cross for insurance, but I use their Fitness Program to cover my gym memberships ($25/month). You automatically earn points for each gym visit and you can redeem them for merchandise. Anyways, I logged on for the first time in months and realized I had accumulated a crapload of points and now there is a 2DS on its way to my house... I'll take it!

i keep adding my friend to family/friend. i'll wait until she's at a point where she wants to leave. i hope they bring back the offer.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was actually referring to the last exercise, but I can't disagree with both of you since I just do everything I can do in a single day. If it's alright, what's wrong with what I'm doing so I can fix it?

I was apprehended again yesterday at the gym because I was told I was doing the rope pull downs wrong, a thing I know myself since I'm pulling with my back, so from 40 kg I'm back at 10 but now I feel my triceps when I do the thing.

Have you read the OP?

mdsfx

Boy, it had been a while since I did any bench press. Managed 65lb dumbbells for 5 sets of 8, but that's still considerably lower than it used to be. Clawing my way back...

On the subject of chest... now I'm back on the weights again mine is starting to fill out a bit, but I remembered that I just don't have any muscle towards the middle of it.

Anything that's particularly good for that? I'm not so much worried about getting masses more growth there, just, if nothing else, it would be nice to feel the middle part actually working (for a bit more mind / muscle connection).

Post labor day I will begin my quest to deadlift again and break squat PRs. What's a good strength program? Just stick with 5/3/1? I have no idea in this world.

Astral

A friend of mine suggested I try this PHAT regiment where I have 2 strength days and 3 hypertrophy days. Does anyone have any experience with that? I only strength train right now.

Top Bottom